8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
October 12, 2023, 12:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,045
Gold Stars: 116
I think the training ground is going to be more important than folk realise.

Imagine you play for a premier league youth team, going to work every day in impressive facilities on very nice fields with good equipment. Then your contract is coming up for renewal. You look around a few places, and wind up moving to Grimsby, and go to work every day, to train on a shoddy pitch, getting changed in a shed, working with dilapidated gear. How motivated are you really going to feel about that?

Going to work should be motivating. It should feel like you're representing something important. With pride, comes effort. Feeling good and proud that you represent Grimsby Town. The players see the training ground 5 times a week, and BP 23 (and a big extra) times per season.

I thought it had been seriously improved, better changing areas, better equipment and better pitch and I don't know if you have ever been but on the outskirts of Waltham surrounded in the main by countryside.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 79
arryarryarry
October 12, 2023, 1:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
I did exaggerate to make the point, and I don't know the exact standard of the facilities at present. However, if our facilities are far below premier league/championship clubs, players are going to feel pretty underwhelmed by it when they come into that environment, and it is important.

For frigs sake.............are you expecting a team that has spent 7 of the last 13 years in Non League to have the facilities of a Premiership or Championship club?

And how many Premiership/Championship players are you expecting us to sign?
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 79
AncientExiledMariner
October 12, 2023, 3:09am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from arryarryarry

For frigs sake.............are you expecting a team that has spent 7 of the last 13 years in Non League to have the facilities of a Premiership or Championship club?

And how many Premiership/Championship players are you expecting us to sign?

No. Are you expecting us to act like a non-league or football league club?

Conteh - Middlesborough. Glennon - Burnley. Lots more if you include loans: Andrews - West Brom. Most L2 players start higher up, and clubs lower down are battling to sign these players when they are released, or don't get offered a new contract.

Are you new to football? You think players bubble up from Sunday league?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 79
arryarryarry
October 12, 2023, 3:52am
Barley Wine Drinker

Conteh - Middlesborough. Glennon - Burnley. Lots more if you include loans: Andrews - West Brom. Most L2 players start higher up, and clubs lower down are battling to sign these players when they are released, or don't get offered a new contract.

Doh................those players signed so they can't have thought our training facilities were as crap as you said. Plus I doubt very much any of them troubled the person who writes out the first team team sheets.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 79
MuddyWaters
October 12, 2023, 6:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235

Glennon had already been with us! We’ve signed loads of players from bigger clubs before now, long before the training ground was improved.

Private Message
Reply: 64 - 79
HerveJosse
October 12, 2023, 7:56am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 144
The pitch surface at Cheapside looked like a billiard table the last time I saw it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 79
Maringer
October 12, 2023, 9:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from HerveJosse
The pitch surface at Cheapside looked like a billiard table the last time I saw it.

Loads of holes in it, then?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 79
Madeleymariner
October 12, 2023, 10:04am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,052
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from Maringer

Loads of holes in it, then?

Yes but only round the edges
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 79
diehardmariner
October 12, 2023, 10:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from DB

The news on the new training ground seems to have disappeared into the distant past. We are now 2 years into the project, which has gone up to £6million+ and not turf has been cut.

I am not ante JS & AP, but if this had been Fenty then the keyboard warriors would be out in force. So any news on this anybody?

Genuine question, where has this £6million figure come from?
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 79
ginnywings
October 12, 2023, 10:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,127
Gold Stars: 548
Cheapside was much improved in the new owners first pre season. This I know because I was offered the job of the renovations whilst working on the fanzone, but I turned it down because it was too big a job for me in the timescale.

I did do some remedial repairs there however and there was loads of improvements done to the buildings and the pitch, and I'm sure further improvements have been ongoing since.

It's not Carrington, but it's not the ploggers either.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Paul Hurst mk II - some statistics

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.