This thread currently has 5,149 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
October 11, 2023, 9:38pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,420
Gold Stars: 113
Lots of draws with PH, especially at home. Last season we drew 43% of our home games.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 50 - 79
moosey_club
October 11, 2023, 9:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Stats stats stats.....quote all the stats you like to prove disprove anything you want....

My eyes tell me we are largely boring to watch, my brain is dulled by the approach employed.

Do we have some better technical players , likely,  do we appear better off for it right now ?  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 79
Azimuth
October 11, 2023, 10:03pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60

Really? Any manager, anywhere, ever?

I could name you hundreds, if so.

Go on then, name them, and bare in mind I said succesful team or manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 79
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 11, 2023, 10:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Azimuth

Go on then, name them, and bear in mind I said succesful team or manager.

Virtually any Italian side from the past 60 years - that takes me past 100 already

D.Simeone
Mourinho
Benitez
Herrera
Ancelotti
Parreira
Deschamps
Emery
Ferguson post-2000

I could go on…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 79
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 11, 2023, 10:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555

Virtually any Italian side from the past 60 years - that takes me past 100 already

D.Simeone
Mourinho
Benitez
Herrera
Ancelotti
Parreira
Deschamps
Emery
Ferguson post-2000

I could go on…

…Buckley (the greatest Town manager of my lifetime but the master of the pragmatic draw)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 79
AncientExiledMariner
October 11, 2023, 11:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Mappers

I think most recognise the part Hurst played in our promotion , cup run and relatively steady first season so kudos to him for that .

I'm unconcerned about the daft cup games and barely look at the result in truth .

I have stated many times on here I like Hurst as a manager , and he's a safe pair of hands .

Past - he's done well for us in the main so probably does deserve trust and longer to try and make hay - the massive contradiction is managers are getting sacked all over the place for doing better in many cases ; maybe it's just the way the game has gone , but I do believe managers have a shelf life to some degree - just look at Slade & Holloway for us even .

Present - doing ok in the league but style of play not to a lot of peoples liking ; with a seemingly scattergun approach to selection & formation -- is that just a case of failure to find the right blend or more worryingly the players not being good enough to play how he want's them to ? I'm not sure .

Future - Think he deserves more time based on the above , but my amount of time is probably less than some ,more than others ; depending on results .

It's all about opinions and results isn't it , we don't know ultimately what the boards expectations are , but suspect we will probably find out in the next few months . It's all a reasonable debate though whether you are pro or anti Hurst , or like me at this point leaning towards the latter but not by much .

I liked the ear cupping Hurst though , he seemed a bit more prickly and rigid back then and seemingly made the narative of it's 'everyone against me and my team,fans including (at times )' very effective . He comes over more now as a nice bloke who has not created that same togetherness as yet with this group of players .

Let's hope for 3 points on Saturday against Accrington Stanley exactly .

I was surprised I gave you the first tick on that. A good pragmatic post.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 79
AncientExiledMariner
October 11, 2023, 11:21pm
Snakebite drinker
I think the training ground is going to be more important than folk realise.

Imagine you play for a premier league youth team, going to work every day in impressive facilities on very nice fields with good equipment. Then your contract is coming up for renewal. You look around a few places, and wind up moving to Grimsby, and go to work every day, to train on a shoddy pitch, getting changed in a shed, working with dilapidated gear. How motivated are you really going to feel about that?

Going to work should be motivating. It should feel like you're representing something important. With pride, comes effort. Feeling good and proud that you represent Grimsby Town. The players see the training ground 5 times a week, and BP 23 (and a big extra) times per season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 79
DB
October 11, 2023, 11:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,031
Gold Stars: 390
I think the training ground is going to be more important than folk realise.

Imagine you play for a premier league youth team, going to work every day in impressive facilities on very nice fields with good equipment. Then your contract is coming up for renewal. You look around a few places, and wind up moving to Grimsby, and go to work every day, to train on a shoddy pitch, getting changed in a shed, working with dilapidated gear. How motivated are you really going to feel about that?

Going to work should be motivating. It should feel like you're representing something important. With pride, comes effort. Feeling good and proud that you represent Grimsby Town. The players see the training ground 5 times a week, and BP 23 (and a big extra) times per season.

While I agree with you that porta cabins do not make ideal buildings, I believe you are wrong on other aspects. The playing surface at Cheapside has been upgraded, twice I believe, and new gym equipment purchased. However, as posted previously, I would like to know more about the replacement training ground.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 79
chaos33
October 11, 2023, 11:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Come on…..it’s just not a true reality to suppose that the current squad use dilapidated training facilities and get changed in a shed. So much of the discussion around our current situation dwells in areas of crass overstatement, over simplification and a notion that things are simple and black or white (no pun intended). There are clubs in L2 with worse facilities than ours - training, home stadium, poxy support. Let’s have it right. We might be sub par right now in terms of some shared theoretical sense of how we feel we should be doing, relatively speaking, but there’s such a prevalence of straw man arguments on here.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 79
AncientExiledMariner
October 12, 2023, 12:42am
Snakebite drinker
I did exaggerate to make the point, and I don't know the exact standard of the facilities at present. However, if our facilities are far below premier league/championship clubs, players are going to feel pretty underwhelmed by it when they come into that environment, and it is important.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Paul Hurst mk II - some statistics

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.