Northbank Mariner
October 11, 2023, 7:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
[quote=872]

Issue is though, people use the things you’ve said (that are very few & far between) as a thing to deflect from genuine criticism of Hurst.

I’m not in the Hurst out camp just yet but I’m in the ‘very concerned’ camp. I feel like most the stuff on The Fishy this time round has been reasoned and relatively fair, but some of those opinions get shot down as anti Hurst negativity instead as a way for some people to drown out the noise.

The results are poor, performances are boring, we concede easy goals and struggle to score them. The excuses for those 4 things are starting to wear extremely thin but I think the fan base has still been relatively patient with it all.[/quote]

The bit highlighted...
The patience is getting really tested though, there locals are getting restless, the disdain is getting louder whilst the atmosphere is virtually like a morgue at BP now.
Even the die hard Hurst fans I sit with in the pontoon have had enough. In seasons gone he's turned the bad runs around by having a truly gritty, seige mentality within the group, I'm not seeing that this year, whether that's due to the new players, existing players or they've just not gelled and the characters aren't quite clicking.
My biggest concern is the win percentage is dropping, the goals against are increasing, while goals for are stagnant, that to me is not mid table stability, attendances are falling (home and away btw) and there's a backwards trend developing.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 79
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 11, 2023, 7:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
[quote=872]
My biggest concern is the win percentage is dropping, the goals against are increasing, while goals for are stagnant,

Except the goals for aren’t stagnant.

We’ve scored 7 in 4 league matches.

If you extrapolate that small sample it’s over 80 goals per season, which is very good

It’s the defending of the whole team (bar Rose) and squad that’s the current problem.

Hopefully, if Maher remains fit, this will improve and our defensive line will be higher, and the midfield and wide forwards will be closer to Rose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 79
ancientmariner54
October 11, 2023, 7:29pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -185
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Hagrid

What a load of utter bullshit that is. Orsi didnt play in the first 3 rounds ffs. But no of course the players did all the work, no credit to PH at all. Just like when its not going great guns, its not the players, its all PH.

This is what pisses me off about this entire argument, some, i repeat some, will fire crap at Hurst no matter what, becsuse he cupped his ear, because he told the offended few a few home truths, because he’s a “ boring yorkie”. Its absolutely embarrassing the way he still gets treated by some of you. He’s given us some of the best memories we’ll ever have, and deserves a lot more credit than he gets. There will be a time he moves on, there will be a time when we part ways, We all know that, Paul will know that, but lack of respect he gets really pisses me off

Spot on,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 79
Bigdog
October 11, 2023, 7:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Poojah
Notwithstanding the fact that Ben Davies was a goal-scoring midfielder for the bulk of his career (he was 35 when he arrived here), for me our defensive shortcomings have been more prominent than our offensive ones. We have conceded 6 more goals than we had at the same point last season - an increase of 60%. That has to be statistically significant. Our “goals for” is identical, incidentally.

Anecdotally, results have been sub-par and there hasn’t been sufficient evidence in the accompanying performances to offer confidence that we are on the brink of clicking into a run of significant form. In mitigation, I still don’t think it’s unreasonable to point out that we’ve had a tougher run than average, playing 7 out of the current top 9 in our opening 12, plus, by the time Saturday arrives, 11, 12, 13 and 14.

Ultimately though, that has to even out eventually and with it has to come an upturn in results and performances. I said previously that the end of October seemed like a fair line in the sand to take stock of where we are. A trip to rapidly improving and second-placed Stockport a week-on-Saturday changes the complexion of this month somewhat, and so I’d be tempted to extend that period to, but not beyond, the 18th November by which time we’ll have played the entire current bottom 5.

Nostalgia doesn’t get you 3 points on a Saturday, but in Hurst we have a manager who has delivered great things, great memories, in recent times and who, more often than not, tends to turn around poor runs of form. That doesn’t give him an endless leash, but I think it should afford him additional time to right the team’s current glaring deficiencies. I believe he’s earned the right to that.

It’s impossible to argue that the start to the season has been good enough or close to expectations, even with those mitigating factors on board. And it’s impossible to argue that our summer recruitment looks faultless or fully rounded. But calm is needed; I don’t think for one second we are in grave danger - I do think things will become much clearer in the month or so ahead.

The main thing that's lacking at the minute is a bit of patience. We've all been frothing at the mouth with the anticipation of a tilt at promotion. A win on Saturday gives us an even start against predominantly top half teams, and we've had significant injuries to cope with alongside Hurst still figuring out his best eleven and formation. Player for player I think we're a lot stronger and quicker than last season. Have we gelled yet? Not in the slightest, but there are signs there.

From a personal point of view, I'd like him to stick with Hunt and Conteh as a midfield pairing. Whenever Hunt plays it's noticeable that he moves the ball quicker than the rest and the players around him need to adjust to his pace of thought over a number of games. And I also miss the rampaging chaos of Efete down the right. The last few games he's been at least as proficient as Mullarkey in defending, so why not? And finally.. Maher has been a big miss for us, it's no coincidence that our goals against column has been stacking up while he's been out the team.

So I'd suggest.. stick with the team for as long as you can.. building up negative sentiment and bad blood won't get us three points on a Saturday..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 79
Grantham_Mariner
October 11, 2023, 7:45pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,190
Gold Stars: 51
Expectations, expectations, & expectations.

Everyone has a different one!

But..........

............I expect to be looking forward to the next match, and I am not at the present time.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 79
Mappers
October 11, 2023, 8:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Hagrid

What a load of utter bullshit that is. Orsi didnt play in the first 3 rounds ffs. But no of course the players did all the work, no credit to PH at all. Just like when its not going great guns, its not the players, its all PH.

This is what pisses me off about this entire argument, some, i repeat some, will fire crap at Hurst no matter what, becsuse he cupped his ear, because he told the offended few a few home truths, because he’s a “ boring yorkie”. Its absolutely embarrassing the way he still gets treated by some of you. He’s given us some of the best memories we’ll ever have, and deserves a lot more credit than he gets. There will be a time he moves on, there will be a time when we part ways, We all know that, Paul will know that, but lack of respect he gets really pisses me off

I think most recognise the part Hurst played in our promotion , cup run and relatively steady first season so kudos to him for that .

I'm unconcerned about the daft cup games and barely look at the result in truth .

I have stated many times on here I like Hurst as a manager , and he's a safe pair of hands .

Past - he's done well for us in the main so probably does deserve trust and longer to try and make hay - the massive contradiction is managers are getting sacked all over the place for doing better in many cases ; maybe it's just the way the game has gone , but I do believe managers have a shelf life to some degree - just look at Slade & Holloway for us even .

Present - doing ok in the league but style of play not to a lot of peoples liking ; with a seemingly scattergun approach to selection & formation -- is that just a case of failure to find the right blend or more worryingly the players not being good enough to play how he want's them to ? I'm not sure .

Future - Think he deserves more time based on the above , but my amount of time is probably less than some ,more than others ; depending on results .

It's all about opinions and results isn't it , we don't know ultimately what the boards expectations are , but suspect we will probably find out in the next few months . It's all a reasonable debate though whether you are pro or anti Hurst , or like me at this point leaning towards the latter but not by much .

I liked the ear cupping Hurst though , he seemed a bit more prickly and rigid back then and seemingly made the narative of it's 'everyone against me and my team,fans including (at times )' very effective . He comes over more now as a nice bloke who has not created that same togetherness as yet with this group of players .

Let's hope for 3 points on Saturday against Accrington Stanley exactly .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 79
DB
October 11, 2023, 8:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,022
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
All be sorted when we get the new training ground.

The news on the new training ground seems to have disappeared into the distant past. We are now 2 years into the project, which has gone up to £6million+ and not turf has been cut.

I am not ante JS & AP, but if this had been Fenty then the keyboard warriors would be out in force. So any news on this anybody?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 79
Tommy
October 11, 2023, 9:07pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from DB

The news on the new training ground seems to have disappeared into the distant past. We are now 2 years into the project, which has gone up to £6million+ and not turf has been cut.

I am not ante JS & AP, but if this had been Fenty then the keyboard warriors would be out in force. So any news on this anybody?

I wouldn't really compare the two to be honest. Fenty took 15 years to not deliver a new ground despite god knows how much time and money spent on trying to do so and regularly making big promises about it.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 79
Azimuth
October 11, 2023, 9:09pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
I dont get why the fans of Grimsby Town have such low expectations these days and are content with us being so average, unentertaining and just dull, for me the name of the game is to win but I am satisfied if we at least lose whilst trying to win, no succesful teamor manager ever has been happy or content to draw, or see a draw as  a success.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 79
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 11, 2023, 9:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Azimuth
…no succesful teamor manager ever has been happy or content to draw, or see a draw as  a success.

Really? Any manager, anywhere, ever?

I could name you hundreds, if so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Paul Hurst mk II - some statistics

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.