8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
IlkleyMariner
October 11, 2023, 3:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 69
I was very fortunate to have a season ticket in Buckley days.
Apart from Laurie Mc and Bill Shankley we are unlikely to have witnessed anything like BuckleyTown.

It’s unfair to compare current times with the three previous named managers either in terms of performance or entertainment.

A top half in League one would do me for now…..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 79
cannylad65
October 11, 2023, 3:23pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +88
Gold Stars: 6
Only 2 managers have won a league title.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 79
Maringer
October 11, 2023, 3:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,564
Gold Stars: 185
That's the amazing thing to me. As good as the football was played by those Buckley sides, we didn't get close to winning the title in any of our promotion seasons when he was in charge!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 79
HerveJosse
October 11, 2023, 3:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
What is entertainment though?

The Buckley Mark I side was entertaining and successful. I was young but I remember the brilliance of that team, both in the flesh and reminiscing on YouTube - the clips look like a Benny Hill sketch, with all of the fast flicks and feints. Lovely stuff.

However, when Buckley left for WBA (spit), Laws changed the style. We were more direct and we definitely had more players in the box. There were a lot of fans near where I sat (Main Stand!), who were glad Buckley had left because they had become bored and were vocal on the lack of ‘entertainment’ from his indirect approach.

I was 14 when Buckley returned. As well as Town, I’d grown up watching a lot of foreign football - mostly Serie A. I never imagined my team - a provincial, little Town on the Humber could play the sort of cerebral, continental, possession based football that I saw in Italy.

I was very entertained. It was successful. It was also pragmatic. Even in his first stint, Buckley had become increasingly structured in style; partially due to the effects of the introduction of the back pass rule.

I don’t believe the likes of Denni would have found that Buckley MKII side entertaining.

They may have found it entertaining in 97/98 because we were promoted and won the AW Shield.

Even in 97/98, I remember abuse of Buckley and the team but throughout the whole spell I would here:

‘We’re reliant on Jack to win us a penalty’
‘We’re reliant on Donovan - if we didn’t have him we’d be in the relegation zone’, or later…
‘We’re reliant on Groves - if we didn’t have him we’d be in the relegation zone’
‘Why did we sign Nogan? He runs like a camel fleeing a dentist surgery and he couldn’t even finish a Blockbuster video’
‘I’m fed up with this tippy-tappy, chess football’
‘We don’t create anything, don’t get players in the box. It’s Anti-Football - get John Beck in’
‘Buckley has short arms and long pockets’
‘Why does Gally keep cutting inside. He’s got no right foot. Sack him and play Fickling’
‘Stacy Coldicott - what does he do. Trots around like a bald geisha’
‘I’ve never liked Buckley. Should never have let him come crawling back after betraying us. Scab’

Then Lennie Lawrence arrived and again, a lot of fans were happy Buckley had gone and we were playing a more attacking brand of football.

To me, entertaining is knowing that the team are trying their best and are competitive. I’m realistic to know we can’t win 6-0 every match and we will lose at some point.

We are clearly in transition. Hurst is trying to implement a more possession based approach with a higher defensive line. The injuries to Rose and, in particular, Maher haven’t helped with this.

I do understand the frustration. There have been sensible posts, from both sides of the middle ground. It’s just the utter rubbish the odd (in both senses of the word) few posters make that riles me more than our current performances.

Entertainment is like an Elephant difficult to describe but you know when you see one .
One up front with a small back to the goal harrier and hoping for bits and pieces doesn’t make for great entertainment very often
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 79
HerveJosse
October 11, 2023, 4:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
I was very fortunate to have a season ticket in Buckley days.
Apart from Laurie Mc and Bill Shankley we are unlikely to have witnessed anything like BuckleyTown.

It’s unfair to compare current times with the three previous named managers either in terms of performance or entertainment.

A top half in League one would do me for now…..

George Kerrs ( now ) first division winning side was up there with those two
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 79
HerveJosse
October 11, 2023, 4:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Shankly, Mcmenemy and Kerr were all big ebullient personalities and their teams reflected that .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 79
grimsby pete
October 11, 2023, 5:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
When Jason and Andrew took over they said it's a long term project not a quick fix.

Although we got out the conference quite quickly .

Slowly slowly catch thee monkey.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 79
Hagrid
October 11, 2023, 6:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,434
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from HerveJosse

He was manager for 10 of those 16 seasons and I find it difficult to give him to much credit for the FA cup run when the standout player in that was Orsi who he only gave 5 League starts to because he didn’t rate him

What a load of utter bullshit that is. Orsi didnt play in the first 3 rounds ffs. But no of course the players did all the work, no credit to PH at all. Just like when its not going great guns, its not the players, its all PH.

This is what pisses me off about this entire argument, some, i repeat some, will fire crap at Hurst no matter what, becsuse he cupped his ear, because he told the offended few a few home truths, because he’s a “ boring yorkie”. Its absolutely embarrassing the way he still gets treated by some of you. He’s given us some of the best memories we’ll ever have, and deserves a lot more credit than he gets. There will be a time he moves on, there will be a time when we part ways, We all know that, Paul will know that, but lack of respect he gets really pisses me off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 79
pontoonlew
October 11, 2023, 6:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,040
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from Hagrid

What a load of utter bullshit that is. Orsi didnt play in the first 3 rounds ffs. But no of course the players did all the work, no credit to PH at all. Just like when its not going great guns, its not the players, its all PH.

This is what pisses me off about this entire argument, some, i repeat some, will fire crap at Hurst no matter what, becsuse he cupped his ear, because he told the offended few a few home truths, because he’s a “ boring yorkie”. Its absolutely embarrassing the way he still gets treated by some of you. He’s given us some of the best memories we’ll ever have, and deserves a lot more credit than he gets. There will be a time he moves on, there will be a time when we part ways, We all know that, Paul will know that, but lack of respect he gets really pisses me off

Issue is though, people use the things you’ve said (that are very few & far between) as a thing to deflect from genuine criticism of Hurst.

I’m not in the Hurst out camp just yet but I’m in the ‘very concerned’ camp. I feel like most the stuff on The Fishy this time round has been reasoned and relatively fair, but some of those opinions get shot down as anti Hurst negativity instead as a way for some people to drown out the noise.

The results are poor, performances are boring, we concede easy goals and struggle to score them. The excuses for those 4 things are starting to wear extremely thin but I think the fan base has still been relatively patient with it all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 79
Mappers
October 11, 2023, 7:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,343
Gold Stars: 119
What is entertainment though?

The Buckley Mark I side was entertaining and successful. I was young but I remember the brilliance of that team, both in the flesh and reminiscing on YouTube - the clips look like a Benny Hill sketch, with all of the fast flicks and feints. Lovely stuff.

However, when Buckley left for WBA (spit), Laws changed the style. We were more direct and we definitely had more players in the box. There were a lot of fans near where I sat (Main Stand!), who were glad Buckley had left because they had become bored and were vocal on the lack of ‘entertainment’ from his indirect approach.

I was 14 when Buckley returned. As well as Town, I’d grown up watching a lot of foreign football - mostly Serie A. I never imagined my team - a provincial, little Town on the Humber could play the sort of cerebral, continental, possession based football that I saw in Italy.

I was very entertained. It was successful. It was also pragmatic. Even in his first stint, Buckley had become increasingly structured in style; partially due to the effects of the introduction of the back pass rule.

I don’t believe the likes of Denni would have found that Buckley MKII side entertaining.

They may have found it entertaining in 97/98 because we were promoted and won the AW Shield.

Even in 97/98, I remember abuse of Buckley and the team but throughout the whole spell I would here:

‘We’re reliant on Jack to win us a penalty’
‘We’re reliant on Donovan - if we didn’t have him we’d be in the relegation zone’, or later…
‘We’re reliant on Groves - if we didn’t have him we’d be in the relegation zone’
‘Why did we sign Nogan? He runs like a camel fleeing a dentist surgery and he couldn’t even finish a Blockbuster video’
‘I’m fed up with this tippy-tappy, chess football’
‘We don’t create anything, don’t get players in the box. It’s Anti-Football - get John Beck in’
‘Buckley has short arms and long pockets’
‘Why does Gally keep cutting inside. He’s got no right foot. Sack him and play Fickling’
‘Stacy Coldicott - what does he do. Trots around like a bald geisha’
‘I’ve never liked Buckley. Should never have let him come crawling back after betraying us. Scab’

Then Lennie Lawrence arrived and again, a lot of fans were happy Buckley had gone and we were playing a more attacking brand of football.

To me, entertaining is knowing that the team are trying their best and are competitive. I’m realistic to know we can’t win 6-0 every match and we will lose at some point.

We are clearly in transition. Hurst is trying to implement a more possession based approach with a higher defensive line. The injuries to Rose and, in particular, Maher haven’t helped with this.

I do understand the frustration. There have been sensible posts, from both sides of the middle ground. It’s just the utter rubbish the odd (in both senses of the word) few posters make that riles me more than our current performances.

Yeah I remember those Buckleys days part 1 and 2 prime spot in the main was always good fun as a kid and some great days .

Some did hate the Buckley  style(or got bored with it) 'bloody useless,get it forward !' Was one of the regular vocal calls .

Laws took over and 'bloody useless ,keep it on floor !'
Was a regular gripe then from some of our regulars .

Not sure sometimes , anyone can win .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Paul Hurst mk II - some statistics

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.