Paul Hurst mk II - some statistics

This thread currently has 5,145 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 11, 2023, 12:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
It’s all very frustrating.
I’m sure everyone will be trying their best. Nobody likes failing.
Just can’t work out what they need to do differently to succeed.

First half v Bradford they were great.
Demolished in form Gillingham
Stuffed Salford

What was different about those two and a half games?

Last 30 mins or so at Swindon.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 79
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 11, 2023, 12:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
What is entertainment though?

The Buckley Mark I side was entertaining and successful. I was young but I remember the brilliance of that team, both in the flesh and reminiscing on YouTube - the clips look like a Benny Hill sketch, with all of the fast flicks and feints. Lovely stuff.

However, when Buckley left for WBA (spit), Laws changed the style. We were more direct and we definitely had more players in the box. There were a lot of fans near where I sat (Main Stand!), who were glad Buckley had left because they had become bored and were vocal on the lack of ‘entertainment’ from his indirect approach.

I was 14 when Buckley returned. As well as Town, I’d grown up watching a lot of foreign football - mostly Serie A. I never imagined my team - a provincial, little Town on the Humber could play the sort of cerebral, continental, possession based football that I saw in Italy.

I was very entertained. It was successful. It was also pragmatic. Even in his first stint, Buckley had become increasingly structured in style; partially due to the effects of the introduction of the back pass rule.

I don’t believe the likes of Denni would have found that Buckley MKII side entertaining.

They may have found it entertaining in 97/98 because we were promoted and won the AW Shield.

Even in 97/98, I remember abuse of Buckley and the team but throughout the whole spell I would here:

‘We’re reliant on Jack to win us a penalty’
‘We’re reliant on Donovan - if we didn’t have him we’d be in the relegation zone’, or later…
‘We’re reliant on Groves - if we didn’t have him we’d be in the relegation zone’
‘Why did we sign Nogan? He runs like a camel fleeing a dentist surgery and he couldn’t even finish a Blockbuster video’
‘I’m fed up with this tippy-tappy, chess football’
‘We don’t create anything, don’t get players in the box. It’s Anti-Football - get John Beck in’
‘Buckley has short arms and long pockets’
‘Why does Gally keep cutting inside. He’s got no right foot. Sack him and play Fickling’
‘Stacy Coldicott - what does he do. Trots around like a bald geisha’
‘I’ve never liked Buckley. Should never have let him come crawling back after betraying us. Scab’

Then Lennie Lawrence arrived and again, a lot of fans were happy Buckley had gone and we were playing a more attacking brand of football.

To me, entertaining is knowing that the team are trying their best and are competitive. I’m realistic to know we can’t win 6-0 every match and we will lose at some point.

We are clearly in transition. Hurst is trying to implement a more possession based approach with a higher defensive line. The injuries to Rose and, in particular, Maher haven’t helped with this.

I do understand the frustration. There have been sensible posts, from both sides of the middle ground. It’s just the utter rubbish the odd (in both senses of the word) few posters make that riles me more than our current performances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 79
Maringer
October 11, 2023, 12:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from HerveJosse

He was manager for 10 of those 16 seasons and I find it difficult to give him to much credit for the FA cup run when the standout player in that was Orsi who he only gave 5 League starts to because he didn’t rate him

So, Hurst doesn't achieve anything and, if he does, it wasn't anything to do with him?

The fact that he signed Orsi doesn't count, because he didn't play him often enough?

Not sure that I follow the logic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 79
Kris2
October 11, 2023, 1:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136

I don’t believe the likes of Denni would have found that Buckley MKII side entertaining.

They may have found it entertaining in 97/98 because we were promoted and won the AW Shield.

Even in 97/98, I remember abuse of Buckley and the team but throughout the whole spell I would here:

‘We’re reliant on Jack to win us a penalty’
‘We’re reliant on Donovan - if we didn’t have him we’d be in the relegation zone’, or later…
‘We’re reliant on Groves - if we didn’t have him we’d be in the relegation zone’
‘Why did we sign Nogan? He runs like a camel fleeing a dentist surgery and he couldn’t even finish a Blockbuster video’
‘I’m fed up with this tippy-tappy, chess football’
‘We don’t create anything, don’t get players in the box. It’s Anti-Football - get John Beck in’
‘Buckley has short arms and long pockets’
‘Why does Gally keep cutting inside. He’s got no right foot. Sack him and play Fickling’
‘Stacy Coldicott - what does he do. Trots around like a bald geisha’
‘I’ve never liked Buckley. Should never have let him come crawling back after betraying us. Scab’

I remember all of that well. I don't think anything has changed over the years as far as people constantly moaning unless we win the league/playoffs/beat a big team in the cup. Buckley Mk II had a lot of issues but people view the past with a different lens now as we are no longer a team that is punching above our weight or treading water in what is now the Championship, we probably wouldn't get there on our budget today as it's a much different league (basically a mini PL as far as budgets) but the nostalgia exists. Stacy Coldicott is viewed as a good player these days and many put him on lists of best players but a lot of people wanted rid of him and thought he was useless when he actually played for us, most didn't care about what he does well as it didn't involve creating chances or putting the ball in the net. It's funny how time changes things but the one sure thing that will never change is some people like to moan about the manager we do have.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 79
1mickylyons
October 11, 2023, 1:26pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Buckley v Hurst keeps cropping up and some similarities in how the fanbase viewed them are correct. I need Golly to help here but in the EFL how many times did a Buckley team score 3 or more at home versus Hurst ,I'd be amazed if Hurst got half an many goals?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 79
GollyGTFC
October 11, 2023, 1:49pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
What is entertainment though?

Entertainment is probably walking out of BP or an away ground thinking you’ve had value for money.

I don’t think it’s about playing neat, tippy tippy football.

Wrexham 4-5 Grimsby was entertaining but their was very little in the way of quality about the match apart from McAtee’s goal.

Coincidentally one game that springs to mind about being entertained was a game between the same 2 sides in the 2012/13 season I think. It was a Friday night game (possibly on TV) at BP and 2 really good sides went at each other for 90 minutes with Town winning 1-0 thanks to a late Ross Hannah goal. I definitely walked out of BP after that game feeling like I’d seen a great game and been well entertained.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 25 - 79
mariner91
October 11, 2023, 2:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Entertainment is probably walking out of BP or an away ground thinking you’ve had value for money.

Wrexham 4-5 Grimsby was entertaining but their was very little in the way of quality about the match apart from McAtee’s goal.

Coincidentally one game that springs to mind about being entertained was a game between the same 2 sides in the 2012/13 season I think. It was a Friday night game (possibly on TV) at BP and 2 really good sides went at each other for 90 minutes with Town winning 1-0 thanks to a late Ross Hannah goal. I definitely walked out of BP after that game feeling like I’d seen a great game and been well entertained.

Taylor's goal was superb from start to finish. Perfect long ball by Crocombe, delightful chest control by Taylor to McAtee who put a delicious cross in and wonderfully finished by Taylor.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 79
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 11, 2023, 2:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I don’t attend many home matches but it’s rare I’ve left an away match since Hurst returned and not enjoyed it, or something about it.

Swindon (a) last season was one certainly ***. I was on holiday for Wrexham (a) this season so can’t comment.

With our defensive work, from all of the 10 players behind Rose (Rose generally works like a double shifted nurse, so he’s exempt from this criticism), in the past few games, Town matches can’t be anything other than entertaining at the moment. 😊

***although, I am definitely in the minority here, but I sometimes quite enjoy being the victim of a damn good thrashing. It’s the little details. I remember seeing a dead deer on the side of the A40 after that Swindon mauling and it made me think of Andy Smith.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 79
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 11, 2023, 2:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306

I sometimes quite enjoy being the victim of a damn good thrashing

And the lady that does it for you appreciates the money but what about football?

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 79
cannylad65
October 11, 2023, 2:49pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 6
To quote as above

playing 7 out of the current top 9 in our opening 12.

Surely that is not an excuse, if we are, ambitious in make the play offs, we should be beating a few of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Paul Hurst mk II - some statistics

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.