Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back (Tranmere)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back (Tranmere)

This thread currently has 7,481 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
October 9, 2023, 11:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,034
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from diehardmariner
I thought second half there was a moment, perhaps fuelled by confidence from his goal, where Pyke believed in himself and started bullying their defence for a good 10 minutes.  

Then as quickly as his confidence grew, it seemed to disappear again and he watched the play go past him.  

There's questions about his work-rate and if he's lazy.  Having made a point of looking at him on Saturday I'm not sure it's that he's lazy but more he's constantly on his back foot which leaves him too slow to react.  Good players react quicker than others, the better players anticipate before anyone else, the best will dictate where the play goes.  

My first thoughts watching Pyke have been Stefan Payne.

The sheer lack of mobility can often look like he’s lazy, but barely anything he does seems to come off. Hopefully he’s maybe just in a bad patch but Pyke was the only player we signed this season that came with universally bad reviews from fans and for now they’ve been absolutely spot on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 71
diehardmariner
October 9, 2023, 11:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
The standard was obviously a lot less in the games he played, but in those early pre-season games he definitely looked to have a bit more about him.

The thing I struggle to understand with his lack of movement is that to be anything other than a liability at wing-back, you've got to be able to get up and down the line as an absolute basic.  By all accounts he did ok in that role in League One.

Playing up top and as a wing-back are completely different, but I just can't imagine his style would in anyway lend itself to a demanding up-and-down type position.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 71
Maringer
October 9, 2023, 12:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
How about Peter Bore?

Looked clueless when played up front or on the wing, but did a good job at full-back/wing-back during his last season with us - he even scored a hat-trick in one game, that I recall!

He was distinctly rapid, though, whereas Pyke doesn't really strike me as a speed machine, though he's not slow.

Pyke might do better when he's got a view of the whole pitch in front of him - i.e. knowing when and where he can run and where the space is. Playing as a forward, often with your back to goal and having to be aware of where space might be found as well as the offside line is an enormously different sort of a role. Good finish from him the other day and, from the video posted, the header did at least force a decent save from their keeper (though I agree he shouldn't have had a chance). Hopefully he'll continue to improve and will come good as a forward.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 71
diehardmariner
October 9, 2023, 12:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
I think clueless for Peter Bore is maybe a little harsh.  Inconsistent definitely  I always thought he just needed good coaching.  He seemed to develop his game a bit more under Buckley but Mike Newell killed his development, as he did with a few other youngsters.

His reading of the game in that relegation season looked superb from right-back, although with hindsight I wonder if it was more his pace got him/us out of trouble rather than anything else.  He forever seemed to be making last gasp challenges though.  The following season he was back more on the wing and didn't seem quite as effective, again inconsistency but I think you make a very good point about having space in front of you.  It definitely benefited Bore.  

My point regards Pyke was more of his sheer movement, or lack of it, than anything else.  As you say, hopefully more to come and he takes the confidence from his goal.  
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 71
paulmblythe
October 9, 2023, 12:52pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Heisenberg

That’s a shame, and embarrassing. And totally believable.

I saw a couple of dozen idiots at the end of the Crawley game and, despite the fact I was bereft, I could have killed them.  Such simpletons.

We all want better, but if we beat Accrington next weekend - which I think we will - the outlook willl be pretty positive.

People need to calm down.

We do indeed have some simpletons who follow us away. This reminds me of after the Southampton Game last season. We where walking back to our hotel past a bus stop where some rather glum looking southampton fans where stood/sat waiting to get home. One gobshite started berating them about how embarrassed they should have been and was goading them into a fight. These people werent causing anyone any trouble and where mostly late 50's to pensioner age and didnt want ant trouble. a few of us pointed out to the idiot that wed had a good night and not to spoil it be being an bottom and apologised on his behalf but he wasnt having any of it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 71
lew chaterleys lover
October 9, 2023, 12:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Of all the forward players out there that could have done an adequate if basic job up front,  we get a wing back on the wing and a prayer that we can turn him into a striker? What on earth is that all about?
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 71
GhostDan
October 9, 2023, 12:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
Of all the forward players out there that could have done an adequate if basic job up front,  we get a wing back on the wing and a prayer that we can turn him into a striker? What on earth is that all about?

I certainly wouldn't want to let facts get in the way of another mindless rant but Pyke has played a handful of games at wing-back because both their other fullbacks were injured, I'm not sure why he keeps getting beaten with this stick.  

Is Efete a left back now?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 71
lew chaterleys lover
October 9, 2023, 1:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GhostDan

I certainly wouldn't want to let facts get in the way of another mindless rant but Pyke has played a handful of games at wing-back because both their other fullbacks were injured, I'm not sure why he keeps getting beaten with this stick.  

Is Efete a left back now?

I don't know but that's another crazy decision if you ask me.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 71
paulmblythe
October 9, 2023, 1:04pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from pontoonlew

My first thoughts watching Pyke have been Stefan Payne.

The sheer lack of mobility can often look like he’s lazy, but barely anything he does seems to come off. Hopefully he’s maybe just in a bad patch but Pyke was the only player we signed this season that came with universally bad reviews from fans and for now they’ve been absolutely spot on.

this is something that often riles me. a player can appear to be lazy if he's not careering around the pitch like a headless chicken. If his body wont allow him to do that its not laziness, I often see players who are clearly not match fit being accused of laziness when probably they are busting a gut. Ive had it myself, i gave up playing football at the age of 42 with a knee injury. one of the things that clinched it was i was sick of people shouting at me for being lazy when despite being quiet fit, the legs just wouldn't allow me to track back as quick as the kids half my age that where yelling at me.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 71
lew chaterleys lover
October 9, 2023, 1:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from paulmblythe

this is something that often riles me. a player can appear to be lazy if he's not careering around the pitch like a headless chicken. If his body wont allow him to do that its not laziness, I often see players who are clearly not match fit being accused of laziness when probably they are busting a gut. Ive had it myself, i gave up playing football at the age of 42 with a knee injury. one of the things that clinched it was i was sick of people shouting at me for being lazy when despite being quiet fit, the legs just wouldn't allow me to track back as quick as the kids half my age that where yelling at me.

In the case of Pyke I don't think it's laziness but to me he always seems to be on the back foot, so by the time he has got going it is usually too late. This is not a criticism of the player if he is being played out of position. At the age of 26 he has a total of 11 league goals so it's hardly his fault.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back (Tranmere)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.