10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
September 11, 2023, 9:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
On to the next then. Just over 700 of 1165 sold as of last Thursday, no idea if we’ll do the lot.

Mullin back from his untimely death in the summer, got half an hour at the weekend. Their best CB Hayden went off injured on Saturday with a suspected hamstring issue, physios on their board suggesting anything from 6-8 weeks to being OK for Saturday so…wait & see I suppose.

Wonder if Hurst will stick with what is starting to look like a settled side & system, or might be tempted to change it up a bit to nullify some of their threat. They’ve started the last two with Palmer (6ft 5) and Dalby (6ft 3) up top, with Steven Fletcher now an option too - would it be worth bringing Waterfall in to offer some more aerial presence in there as part of three at the back? Alternatively Mullarkey could shuffle across into the middle and Efete could come in at RWB.

Would also give us the option then of matching up their wingback formation. Ryan Barnett, who Hurst tried to sign a couple of times, plays down the right so it might be worth putting Glennon in to give him something to think about defensively rather than giving him free rein to just attack us all day? Would also help having Maher coming across to cover if he is beaten.

Conteh v Elliot Lee in the middle will be a good battle. If you do go with 5 at the back then who drops out? Eisa in great form despite a quiet one at Bradford, Gnahoua looking better each week. Do you go with 2 up top (Rose & Pyke/A.N.Other), or three behind Rose where you could go with any three of Eisa, Clifton, Gnahoua, Holohan, Hunt, Ainley or even Andrews?

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Hurst change it up, and it would be a similar lineup to the one that started at Barnsley, but who knows. Wish I was there, the first half on Saturday was some of the best I’ve seen us play in years.

utm 🐟
Private Message
Heisenberg
September 11, 2023, 9:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,069
Gold Stars: 93
Can we bring Cropper in on loan for this one?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 98
Theimperialcoroner
September 11, 2023, 9:44pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,210
Gold Stars: 102
Love to see Waterfall play and shithouse Mullin all afternoon.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 98
lukeo
September 11, 2023, 9:52pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
With PH you never know. I personally would play the XI that are starting to get some rhythm about them and gelling. Aslong as Conteh is just infront of the back 2 they've got enough in that area to nullify the boring dull long ball of Wrexham.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 98
ginnywings
September 11, 2023, 10:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Reading an article today about the imminent return of Mullin, and the signing of Fletcher, the exact same thought crossed my mind about bringing Waterfall back in to counter their height. With Mullarkey at full back, it's more or less 4 centre backs, with which to negate their aerial bombardment, plus whoever gets the nod at left back.

Think Hurst may be tempted to go 5-4-1, or possibly 5-3-2 for the reasons mentioned. Plus Waterfall will relish playing against his old club and returning to the scene of one of his triumphs.

Wrexham have started to settle down now and move up the table, so a tough game on the cards. Hope we out football the boring fookers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 98
DB
September 12, 2023, 5:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
I did watch Wrexham v Donny and the Wrexham defence was very poor. The attack looked good but 2-0 flattered them. The 2nd goal was a deflection but they all count. The old saying that league tables don't lie is true but they don't reflect the effort on the pitch and, at times, Wrexham were on the back foot.

The one most boring thing was the number of times Wreham players went down for a free kick, to the extent I switched the extremely biased commentators from Wrexham to Donny at half-time. The so-called Donny commentator was just as bad with his 'Welsh' accent!

I'm looking forward to the match with a town victory, but not the anticipated new Wrexham strip of red trunks to assist their diving capabilities.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 98
HerveJosse
September 12, 2023, 8:09am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
If you are playing a team with a weak defence and strong attack then you need to attack them not play 4 central defenders and wait to get battered.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 98
ginnywings
September 12, 2023, 10:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HerveJosse
If you are playing a team with a weak defence and strong attack then you need to attack them not play 4 central defenders and wait to get battered.

Very much depends on your approach to the formation, and the personnel.

It can be attacking or defensive. Mullarkey is a de facto centre back playing right back, so we play with three CB's anyway. He also provided the cross for our goal at Bradford.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 98
HerveJosse
September 12, 2023, 10:25am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
The only way to get a result at Wrexham is to score 3 goals or more. Can we do that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 98
gtfc_chris
September 12, 2023, 10:41am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
I wonder whether the system we used at Barnsley was a trial run for this one. It wouldn't make full sense as we played a second string but in terms of seeing how the ideas were playing out it was a meaningful exercise. I thought that certain parts worked well, so place a full strength 11 in there and perhaps there's a thought in PHs head that it can be the one to undo Wrexham.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 98
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Wrexham Saturday

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.