10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
ska face
September 11, 2023, 9:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
On to the next then. Just over 700 of 1165 sold as of last Thursday, no idea if we’ll do the lot.

Mullin back from his untimely death in the summer, got half an hour at the weekend. Their best CB Hayden went off injured on Saturday with a suspected hamstring issue, physios on their board suggesting anything from 6-8 weeks to being OK for Saturday so…wait & see I suppose.

Wonder if Hurst will stick with what is starting to look like a settled side & system, or might be tempted to change it up a bit to nullify some of their threat. They’ve started the last two with Palmer (6ft 5) and Dalby (6ft 3) up top, with Steven Fletcher now an option too - would it be worth bringing Waterfall in to offer some more aerial presence in there as part of three at the back? Alternatively Mullarkey could shuffle across into the middle and Efete could come in at RWB.

Would also give us the option then of matching up their wingback formation. Ryan Barnett, who Hurst tried to sign a couple of times, plays down the right so it might be worth putting Glennon in to give him something to think about defensively rather than giving him free rein to just attack us all day? Would also help having Maher coming across to cover if he is beaten.

Conteh v Elliot Lee in the middle will be a good battle. If you do go with 5 at the back then who drops out? Eisa in great form despite a quiet one at Bradford, Gnahoua looking better each week. Do you go with 2 up top (Rose & Pyke/A.N.Other), or three behind Rose where you could go with any three of Eisa, Clifton, Gnahoua, Holohan, Hunt, Ainley or even Andrews?

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Hurst change it up, and it would be a similar lineup to the one that started at Barnsley, but who knows. Wish I was there, the first half on Saturday was some of the best I’ve seen us play in years.

utm 🐟
Private Message
Heisenberg
September 11, 2023, 9:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,070
Gold Stars: 93
Can we bring Cropper in on loan for this one?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 98
Theimperialcoroner
September 11, 2023, 9:44pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,210
Gold Stars: 102
Love to see Waterfall play and shithouse Mullin all afternoon.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 98
lukeo
September 11, 2023, 9:52pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
With PH you never know. I personally would play the XI that are starting to get some rhythm about them and gelling. Aslong as Conteh is just infront of the back 2 they've got enough in that area to nullify the boring dull long ball of Wrexham.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 98
ginnywings
September 11, 2023, 10:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,145
Gold Stars: 548
Reading an article today about the imminent return of Mullin, and the signing of Fletcher, the exact same thought crossed my mind about bringing Waterfall back in to counter their height. With Mullarkey at full back, it's more or less 4 centre backs, with which to negate their aerial bombardment, plus whoever gets the nod at left back.

Think Hurst may be tempted to go 5-4-1, or possibly 5-3-2 for the reasons mentioned. Plus Waterfall will relish playing against his old club and returning to the scene of one of his triumphs.

Wrexham have started to settle down now and move up the table, so a tough game on the cards. Hope we out football the boring fookers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 98
DB
September 12, 2023, 5:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,022
Gold Stars: 386
I did watch Wrexham v Donny and the Wrexham defence was very poor. The attack looked good but 2-0 flattered them. The 2nd goal was a deflection but they all count. The old saying that league tables don't lie is true but they don't reflect the effort on the pitch and, at times, Wrexham were on the back foot.

The one most boring thing was the number of times Wreham players went down for a free kick, to the extent I switched the extremely biased commentators from Wrexham to Donny at half-time. The so-called Donny commentator was just as bad with his 'Welsh' accent!

I'm looking forward to the match with a town victory, but not the anticipated new Wrexham strip of red trunks to assist their diving capabilities.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 98
HerveJosse
September 12, 2023, 8:09am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
If you are playing a team with a weak defence and strong attack then you need to attack them not play 4 central defenders and wait to get battered.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 98
ginnywings
September 12, 2023, 10:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from HerveJosse
If you are playing a team with a weak defence and strong attack then you need to attack them not play 4 central defenders and wait to get battered.

Very much depends on your approach to the formation, and the personnel.

It can be attacking or defensive. Mullarkey is a de facto centre back playing right back, so we play with three CB's anyway. He also provided the cross for our goal at Bradford.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 98
HerveJosse
September 12, 2023, 10:25am
Champagne Drinker
The only way to get a result at Wrexham is to score 3 goals or more. Can we do that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 98
gtfc_chris
September 12, 2023, 10:41am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
I wonder whether the system we used at Barnsley was a trial run for this one. It wouldn't make full sense as we played a second string but in terms of seeing how the ideas were playing out it was a meaningful exercise. I thought that certain parts worked well, so place a full strength 11 in there and perhaps there's a thought in PHs head that it can be the one to undo Wrexham.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 98
Maringer
September 12, 2023, 10:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,546
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from HerveJosse
The only way to get a result at Wrexham is to score 3 goals or more. Can we do that?

Or don't concede and score one. That would work as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 98
DB
September 12, 2023, 11:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

The only way to get a result at Wrexham is to score at least 1 more goal than them. The number we score doesn't really matter, as long as it is that one more than them.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 98
fishcake63
September 12, 2023, 12:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
They are definatly settling into lge 2 now i agree with others think we will have to score 3 at least to get a result hope i'm wreng , think we will keep same team as well or certainly the 4-1-4-1 formation may perhaps swap arthur one of new lads
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 98
toontown
September 12, 2023, 9:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
We don't create much anyway so sitting back even more seems like a recipe for defeat. I'd rather we rely on our defence to be solid enough and try and take it to them (in so much as we do).

Shame mullin is back for them even if just as sub.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 98
Belfast Town
September 12, 2023, 10:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,691
Gold Stars: 19
Tickets arrived ✅

Flights booked ✅

Airbnb in Chester ✅

All Town aren’t we!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 98
wxm80s
September 13, 2023, 9:27am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 16
Greetings from North Wales. Its been a while. I don't remember what the result was last time we played, think you might have nicked it  

After a difficult start we seem to be getting better. Attack us with pace and you have every chance. Sit back and that's more than likely to end in defeat.

Hayden is out but we have plenty of more than adequate cover in defence. Tunnicliffe (who btw is actually our best defender) is back and O'Connell is fit to play too.
We now have Mendy and McClean for LWB so we should be almost at full strength, I doubt Mullin will start but I didn't think we'd be seeing him until at least October so you never know. We missed him more than I thought we would.
Most of our home games have been entertaining to say the least. Lee is in outstanding form. As is McClean who ran riot at Tranmere, who looked destined for non league.

Expecting a real battle as usual.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 98
September 13, 2023, 11:21am
Guest User
I hope the ref recognises Mullins problem with being unable to stay on his feet once he gets into the opposition penalty area, also he should be very closely watching out for 'the hand of God'.
Reply: 16 - 98
wxm80s
September 13, 2023, 12:42pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from 123614
I hope the ref recognises Mullins problem with being unable to stay on his feet once he gets into the opposition penalty area, also he should be very closely watching out for 'the hand of God'.

All of a sudden I feel sleepy...

From what I've seen from the referees in this league so far the majority couldn't find their own bottom with both hands and are painfully inconsistent and incompetent. No better than the dreadful standard in the National league.

Sir Paul Mullin only plays the way any other professional footballer plays and that includes all of your strikers, who would take any opportunity presented to them to gain an advantage for their team. And they would be daft not to.
This faux morale high ground opposition fans take on this subject continues to be highly amusing due its its glass house nature.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 98
Maringer
September 13, 2023, 12:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Nah, we've not had any divers for a long while. It's not Hurst's way.

Now, back in the day, Jack Lester was brilliant at wining penalties, most of them valid ones as well. He had a knack of getting the defender to put his foot in just enough to go over whilst keeping the ball away from them.

In comparison, Mullin dives and punches the ball into the goal if he thinks he might get away with it. He's a massive cheat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 98
Mappers
September 13, 2023, 1:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Maringer
Nah, we've not had any divers for a long while. It's not Hurst's way.

Now, back in the day, Jack Lester was brilliant at wining penalties, most of them valid ones as well. He had a knack of getting the defender to put his foot in just enough to go over whilst keeping the ball away from them.

In comparison, Mullin dives and punches the ball into the goal if he thinks he might get away with it. He's a massive cheat.

I don't know ....

I think Danny Rose can be persuaded

And I like it

Much like Mullin a bit of a shi*house ,something we have missed for a long time.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 98
mariner91
September 13, 2023, 1:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from wxm80s

From what I've seen from the referees in this league so far the majority couldn't find their own bottom with both hands and are painfully inconsistent and incompetent. No better than the dreadful standard in the National league.

Sir Paul Mullin only plays the way any other professional footballer plays and that includes all of your strikers, who would take any opportunity presented to them to gain an advantage for their team. And they would be daft not to.
This faux morale high ground opposition fans take on this subject continues to be highly amusing due its its glass house nature.

This is just total boll0cks. There's plenty of evidence that he's far more of a cheat than your average player. Even just the last time we played you, he dived when virtually not touched to win a penalty and then punched another one in to the goal with his hand. Big nosed cheating pr1ck.

I'll rescind all of this and apologise profusely the next time one of our players dives for a penalty and punches the ball in DURING THE SAME GAME. Until then, Mullin is probably the biggest cheat in the lower leagues.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 98
Maringer
September 13, 2023, 1:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

I don't know ....

And I like it

Much like Mullin a bit of a shi*house ,something we have missed for a long time.

Hmmm. I'm not really sure it's quite the same as Mullin is a player who gets into the box then chucks himself to the floor, whereas Rose is a player who tends to receive the ball with his back to goal and gets pushed and shoved around by bigger defenders. He might go down somewhat theatrically from time to time, but this is only to try and get the useless referees to penalise the opposition for foul play. I don't recall seeing him go down in the box like a sack of spuds to try and win a pen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 98
Poojah
September 13, 2023, 1:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,583
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from mariner91

This is just total boll0cks. There's plenty of evidence that he's far more of a cheat than your average player. Even just the last time we played you, he dived when virtually not touched to win a penalty and then punched another one in to the goal with his hand. Big nosed cheating pr1ck.

I'll rescind all of this and apologise profusely the next time one of our players dives for a penalty and punches the ball in DURING THE SAME GAME. Until then, Mullin is probably the biggest cheat in the lower leagues.

To be fair, the ref (Herczeg) missed absolutely everything in that game. Beyond the Mullin dive and handball, he also completely overlooked Crocombe accidentally murdering Hosannah in the box in the first-half and Smith’s foul which paved the way for Waterfall’s winner. Shocking refereeing that we just about got away with on that occasion.

All that said, Mullin is without doubt a bigger cheat than the average bear. Of course, it’s all good when they’re wearing your shirt, but he’s not, so get can get fúcked.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 98
Posh Harry
September 13, 2023, 1:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,363
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Mappers

I don't know ....

And I like it

From what I have seen, rose goes down easily, mullin is an out and out diver.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 98
heppy88
September 13, 2023, 2:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Posh Harry

From what I have seen, rose goes down easily, mullin is an out and out diver.

Maybe, but I wish he would just stay on his legs, as a group of lads near me on Saturday were pleading with him. If your going to cheat then do it well. Rose's efforts at shithousery are just embarrassing at times and maybe I'm being old fashioned but it just doesn't seem the Grimsby way?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 98
ginnywings
September 13, 2023, 2:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
There's gaining an advantage, and there's blatant cheating. Mullin is in the Luis Suarez school.

The reaction of Waterfall when he scored told you all you need to know about what our players thought of Mullin that day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 98
Poojah
September 13, 2023, 2:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
There's gaining an advantage, and there's blatant cheating. Mullin is in the Luis Suarez school.

The reaction of Waterfall when he scored told you all you need to know about what our players thought of Mullin that day.

I was at the Racecourse that day, but having watched the game back at least 50 times, the image of Waterfall giving it back to Mullin and this poor chump are etched into my mind.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 98
Hagrid
September 13, 2023, 2:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,427
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from ginnywings

intercourse OFF intercourse OFF intercourse OFF brilliant reaction wasn't it
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 98
wxm80s
September 13, 2023, 2:38pm
Coke Drinker
Blue skies and seagulls lads  

I'm looking forward to seeing all the Grimsby players showing off their halo's on Saturday, it'll be a rare treat.

Don't want to stir up anymore anger, but we have more than one 'shithouse' in our squad.
Tozer, O'Connell, McClean, Tunnicliffe, Cannon, Palmer and Fletcher are all capable at the art of sh!thousery. I'm just glad they play for my team now, as I went about 20 years watching us getting turned over by these exact types of players who you absolutely despise but secretly want.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 98
The Yard Dog
September 13, 2023, 3:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from mariner91

Mullins in the same mould as the lump that played for Lincoln
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 98
Poojah
September 13, 2023, 3:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from wxm80s
Blue skies and seagulls lads  

I'm looking forward to seeing all the Grimsby players showing off their halo's on Saturday, it'll be a rare treat.

Don't want to stir up anymore anger, but we have more than one 'shithouse' in our squad.
Tozer, O'Connell, McClean, Tunnicliffe, Cannon, Palmer and Fletcher are all capable at the art of sh!thousery. I'm just glad they play for my team now, as I went about 20 years watching us getting turned over by these exact types of players who you absolutely despise but secretly want.

All-in-all, it’s a lot of money spent to wind up with a squad full of journeymen shíthouses, isn’t it? For context, as much as I don’t like the notion of financial doping in football (see Crawley, Fleetwood, Salford et al), I see Wrexham in a different bracket entirely and don’t begrudge you some success after so many lean years in non-league purgatory. It’s a novel model, and uniquely sustainable, so fair play to your owners or whoever came up with the concept.

But then I think back to the start of 21/22 season. Both Grimsby and Wrexham were starting completely afresh with new owners and, to all intents and purposes, brand new squads. The primary difference being the amount of money you had to spend on assembling your squad being considerably greater than than we had to assemble ours. And yet we overcame Wrexham when it ultimately mattered and subsequently won promotion; for me, that shouldn’t have happened.

I wish Wrexham well, with all of the obvious caveats that come with a comment like that, and I’ll probably stick on the new documentary tonight or tomorrow. I just think you’ve gone in a bit loud and dumb with your recruitment and to a greater extent, your gaffer.

I get that there will always be a degree of “Wrexham tax” to pay whoever it is you’re dealing with, but if you tot up all
of the money that’s been spent on wages and transfer fees, I can’t help but feel a little underwhelmed with what you’ve got at at this stage. Half-a-million for Luke Armstrong was a bullet dodged imo, at least if we’re talking value for money.

You may well beat us on Saturday, like you may well finish above us this season. I just can’t help but feel that you could be so much better than you are right now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 98
September 13, 2023, 3:09pm
Guest User
Quoted from wxm80s

Haha cop out!

Reply: 31 - 98
wxm80s
September 13, 2023, 4:46pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

All-in-all, it’s a lot of money spent to wind up with a squad full of journeymen shíthouses, isn’t it? For context, as much as I don’t like the notion of financial doping in football (see Crawley, Fleetwood, Salford et al), I see Wrexham in a different bracket entirely and don’t begrudge you some success after so many lean years in non-league purgatory. It’s a novel model, and uniquely sustainable, so fair play to your owners or whoever came up with the concept.

But then I think back to the start of 21/22 season. Both Grimsby and Wrexham were starting completely afresh with new owners and, to all intents and purposes, brand new squads. The primary difference being the amount of money you had to spend on assembling your squad being considerably greater than than we had to assemble ours. And yet we overcame Wrexham when it ultimately mattered and subsequently won promotion; for me, that shouldn’t have happened.

I wish Wrexham well, with all of the obvious caveats that come with a comment like that, and I’ll probably stick on the new documentary tonight or tomorrow. I just think you’ve gone in a bit loud and dumb with your recruitment and to a greater extent, your gaffer.

I get that there will always be a degree of “Wrexham tax” to pay whoever it is you’re dealing with, but if you tot up all
of the money that’s been spent on wages and transfer fees, I can’t help but feel a little underwhelmed with what you’ve got at at this stage. Half-a-million for Luke Armstrong was a bullet dodged imo, at least if we’re talking value for money.

You may well beat us on Saturday, like you may well finish above us this season. I just can’t help but feel that you could be so much better than you are right now.

Hmm not sure we have a squad full of "journeymen shithouses". We have a few but they're also very good players still. McClean from what I've seen of him as one example would get into most teams in this league if not all and the league above.

Our summer transfers clearly didn't go to plan and I'm sure lessons would've been learnt. Hence the last day of the transfer window debacle which must have been embarrassing for the owners when they have Shaun Harvey ex EFL chief exec running the club. It can't and won't all go swimmingly.
A lot of Wrexham fans are just happy to be back in the league now and would be content with season or two here to if nothing else see off some of the bandwagoners. I don't see that happening though in terms of the demand for tickets.

Who knows if we could be better? Its impossible to judge. You could say the same about a lot of clubs. We just won the National league with a record points total and won all bar one game at home which we drew, so despite our iffy start to this season I find it hard to be critical at this stage.

Other fans keep banging on about Parkinson "the dinosaur" etc but he has a far better record than many other managers in this division. For example Luke Williams of Notts who they think is the next Pep. Yet Parkinson's tactics against them were spot on and had it not been for sickeningly incompetent linesman in the game at the Racecourse we could've been out of sight by half time.
Plus he has to deal with the circus that surrounds the club and the camera crews which he doesn't like. Yes he's had money but so did a lot of other managers at other clubs like Luton, FGR etc in the conference and FGR in particular struggled for years. Basically his record speaks for itself and I'm more than happy with him for now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 98
Poojah
September 13, 2023, 4:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from wxm80s

Hmm not sure we have a squad full of "journeymen shithouses". We have a few but they're also very good players still. McClean from what I've seen of him as one example would get into most teams in this league if not all and the league above.

Our summer transfers clearly didn't go to plan and I'm sure lessons would've been learnt. Hence the last day of the transfer window debacle which must have been embarrassing for the owners when they have Shaun Harvey ex EFL chief exec running the club. It can't and won't all go swimmingly.
A lot of Wrexham fans are just happy to be back in the league now and would be content with season or two here to if nothing else see off some of the bandwagoners. I don't see that happening though in terms of the demand for tickets.

Who knows if we could be better? Its impossible to judge. You could say the same about a lot of clubs. We just won the National league with a record points total and won all bar one game at home which we drew, so despite our iffy start to this season I find it hard to be critical at this stage.

Other fans keep banging on about Parkinson "the dinosaur" etc but he has a far better record than many other managers in this division. For example Luke Williams of Notts who they think is the next Pep. Yet Parkinson's tactics against them were spot on and had it not been for sickeningly incompetent linesman in the game at the Racecourse we could've been out of sight by half time.
Plus he has to deal with the circus that surrounds the club and the camera crews which he doesn't like. Yes he's had money but so did a lot of other managers at other clubs like Luton, FGR etc in the conference and FGR in particular struggled for years. Basically his record speaks for itself and I'm more than happy with him for now.

It was you that put forward the suggestion of a squad full of shíthouse bástards, not me.

No doubting you’ve got some good players - I’m just not sure I see a whole lot of future thinking in your recruitment. Older players, on big money seems to be the order of the day. If it works, it works, I just don’t see a squad with a great deal of resale value relative to what it cost to acquire. You ain’t getting your £300k back for Ollie Palmer, that’s for sure.

As I’ve said already, I am, at the very worst, ambivalent towards Wrexham. It’s just my objective opinion that, from the outside looking in, the approach taken is arguably not the best or fastest in the long-run. Your record season is all fine and well, but it was ultimately made possible thanks to abject failure the season before. And it was “abject” - that division should have been yours for the taking, circus or not.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 98
sam gy
September 13, 2023, 5:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from wxm80s

Of course he would, he was literally a first team player in the Championship last season?

And i'm sure you are paying him accordingly  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 98
MuddyWaters
September 13, 2023, 5:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from sam gy

Of course he would, he was literally a first team player in the Championship last season?

And i'm sure you are paying him accordingly  

He too is ‘buying into the project’, is he?
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 98
moosey_club
September 13, 2023, 5:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from wxm80s

Pretty sure that whatever label they get tagged with they will be victorious on Saturday.....we are due a loss and your other posts  encouraging words of "attack us with pace and don't sit back" is pretty much the exact opposite of what we will offer so a a handsome home win will be my prediction for this one.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 98
louth_in_the_south
September 13, 2023, 5:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 96
I’d gladly have Mullins in a town shirt .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 98
CSLM
September 13, 2023, 6:36pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from wxm80s
Greetings from North Wales. Its been a while. I don't remember what the result was last time we played, think you might have nicked it  

After a difficult start we seem to be getting better. Attack us with pace and you have every chance. Sit back and that's more than likely to end in defeat.

Hayden is out but we have plenty of more than adequate cover in defence. Tunnicliffe (who btw is actually our best defender) is back and O'Connell is fit to play too.
We now have Mendy and McClean for LWB so we should be almost at full strength, I doubt Mullin will start but I didn't think we'd be seeing him until at least October so you never know. We missed him more than I thought we would.
Most of our home games have been entertaining to say the least. Lee is in outstanding form. As is McClean who ran riot at Tranmere, who looked destined for non league.

Expecting a real battle as usual.

Not the friendliest welcome for you I see mate lol.

Going to be very tricky for us i think but we are capable.

I personally hope we don't change formation, if we can get support to Rose and get our wingers motoring we can do some damage.
Wrexham are strong going forward but our defence is more than decent now.

Should be an interesting one.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 98
ska face
September 13, 2023, 7:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Take some cash if you’re off on Saturday -

110th Anniversary of the Miners Rescue Station, Maesgwyn Road

Wrexham Miners Project is a volunteer-run charity which is responsible for the restoration of the nearby Miners Rescue Station. But we are so much more than just this!

We also host thriving, community-run arts and crafts groups for a wide range of young, disadvantaged children and youths, and adults with learning difficulties and dementia. We also have a busy and welcoming Rescue Café, which is open throughout the week for everyone’s use, and is particularly popular with ex-miners, locals and football supporters before the kick-offs.

The Miners Rescue Station was officially opened on 1st November 1913 to train selected miners who formed Mines Rescue Teams (MRT) at all the local collieries throughout the North East Wales Coalfield. Their training was extremely demanding, both physically and mentally, to prepare them for the harrowing challenges they often faced underground.

Next Friday will be the 89th Anniversary of the Gresford Colliery Disaster, when 266 miners lost their lives in an underground explosion that ripped through the Dennis Section of the mine, which lies deep below the grounds of the Pant-yr-Ochain pub. Despite the gallant efforts of several, local MRTs, the resultant intense heat, destruction and noxious gases unleashed by the explosion meant very few of those miners working within the Dennis Section escaped or could be rescued. To compound the tragedy, several MRT members lost their lives as they fought the conditions to save their trapped colleagues. Sadly, having swapped shifts so they could see their team play Tranmere Rovers at the Racecourse, so many fellow fans could never join their friends in the 10,100 crowd on that fateful day.

Alas, due to the ravages of time and its partial demolition in 2010 by an errant previous owner with access to a digger, the building’s infrastructure is not in a great state! Nevertheless, the spirits of our volunteers and those they help remain buoyant. We, however, urgently need your support to not only save this historically important building for future generations but, importantly, to redevelop it into a modern, community hub which will also house a coal mining museum, an arts gallery and sheltered-housing for vulnerable adults. Furthermore, this development will make the Miners Rescue Station an important educational destination for the region’s schoolchildren, where they will learn about the region’s industrial past and relate it to a rejuvenated future.

To make all this possible, your support is essential. Please give whatever you can spare to both preserve our heritage and create a modern, vibrant community centre for locals, visitors and tourists to the region.

Whether you are a Rob, a Ryan or a Rhiannon, you are all welcome to visit us at either http://www.wrexhamminersproject.co.uk or, preferably, by dropping into the Miners Rescue Station for a cup of tea and a chat with our friendly staff, and where you will make new friends.

Finally, our new website should become active today. Enjoy the game and please give what you can. Even a few bob will help us transform the Miners Rescue Station.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 98
IlkleyMariner
September 13, 2023, 7:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Call me an old git if you want…..

Modern society is Wrexham society.

I don’t like it, but I have no choice other than to put up with it. And resent it.  Or curl up and die.

Personally I think things can only get worse……
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 98
marinerjase
September 13, 2023, 7:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,655
Gold Stars: 147
I’m non-plussed about Wrexham if I’m honest - nothing against them or their owners. One thing I would say is the owners have done a lot of good - not just for the club, but the community - and look like they are in it for the long haul. Even the amounts they are spending and paying on salaries - ridiculous for League 2 imho - but there’s nothing to say it’s wrong. If they can afford it and aren’t breaking any rules then fair play/good luck to them. We’ve seen owners with money before end up breaking a club, I genuinely think these two won’t ever do that, think that whatever happens they’ll ensure the clubs future is secure long after they’ve departed.

The two things  people don’t tend to like are the ‘underdog’ tag which has been used..and the overkill coverage in media and tv. Can’t blame the owners/club for that - all part of the game and growing their support globally. The documentary was largely enjoyable, sometimes a bit cringe (the explanations to American followers) but again part of the plan so fair play - think it’s worked thus far. And I liked the way they tried to get players known away from football, and their stories, both successful, not so and sad (the lad who lost their child) .

Think that play off game will be etched in the memory for life, for both Town and Wrexham fans - and Mullin does test the patience of fans of other clubs, gets away with a lot and more in all honesty. There’s no defence for pinching a ball into the net, and knowing you’ve done it - but as has been said plenty players before and after will get away with what they can.

Saturday?? Don’t honestly know what to expect..head is saying we might get a pasting..heart is saying we can get something. If we go and invite pressure we’ll get found out, as good as our centre backs have been thus far. Sides will look to exploit us down our left side, anyone with pace will have some joy. And Wrexham look a lot stronger in some areas than previously. But I’ve never really been impressed with them the other way - concede far too many..and that’s why I hope we go and have a go. A Hurst team rarely gets a battering..so I’m going to go for us nicking a goal, then coming back and getting a 2-1 win. But in all honesty I wouldn’t be surprised at any result. Hope all those going enjoy it, and it’s good to see fans of other clubs on here. (IMO)

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 98
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 13, 2023, 7:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,844
Gold Stars: 178
I’d say, more than anything else, that a certain quantity of the Wrexham players are nothing more than Bosman transfer mercenaries. Which, is a shame as I don’t actually mind the ‘gogs’. Very similar town to ourselves I guess, who have also had their fair share of troubled times. Am actually pleased that some of their players don’t play for town. Am sure that many town supporters wouldn’t watch town if that was the case

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 98
moosey_club
September 13, 2023, 8:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Am actually pleased that some of their players don’t play for town. Am sure that many town supporters wouldn’t watch town if that was the case

Ahem......
"  Ohhhh Richard Brodie...used to be a w@nker but he's alright now "
Town fans like the vast majority of football fans can be very fickle.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 98
DB
September 14, 2023, 5:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
The one thing I shall never forget are the Wrexham fans who dug into their own pockets to pay for Town fans to go to our promotion Game. You don't have to like all about Wrexham ( or be envious ) but they have some decent folk there.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 98
wxm80s
September 14, 2023, 9:05am
Coke Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

It was you that put forward the suggestion of a squad full of shíthouse bástards, not me.

No doubting you’ve got some good players - I’m just not sure I see a whole lot of future thinking in your recruitment. Older players, on big money seems to be the order of the day. If it works, it works, I just don’t see a squad with a great deal of resale value relative to what it cost to acquire. You ain’t getting your £300k back for Ollie Palmer, that’s for sure.

As I’ve said already, I am, at the very worst, ambivalent towards Wrexham. It’s just my objective opinion that, from the outside looking in, the approach taken is arguably not the best or fastest in the long-run. Your record season is all fine and well, but it was ultimately made possible thanks to abject failure the season before. And it was “abject” - that division should have been yours for the taking, circus or not.

Ok, cool. I don't agree but we are viewing it from very different places. But, no I didn't.  Read my post back again. You used the words 'squad full of' and 'journeyman', not me.

Not sure you need to think for the future when recruiting. What's that all about? Everyone wants success now, surely.

We don't need resale value as the club is making money elsewhere to fund the squad. That's the whole point of it. Saying that we have plenty of players we could sell and make huge profit on, for example we signed Mullin and Lee on free's and there are plenty of others.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 98
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
September 14, 2023, 9:44am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
I don’t have a problem with Wrexham and their ‘real fans’. I don’t have a problem with Paul Mullin and secretly wish he was a Mullins. It’s just the media portrayal of it being a fairytale and concerns where this is all heading.

There was interesting piece on the Savannah Bananas the other day that referenced Wrexham:

Perhaps the closest parallel to the Bananas in the UK is Wrexham, whose evolution from backwater community football club to global entertainment brand is well under way. Over the summer, powered by their Hollywood stardust and Disney+ documentary, Wrexham have signed a clutch of lucrative commercial deals with the likes of United Airlines, Danone and HP (the electronics conglomerate, not the sauce). Exhibition games in North Carolina, California and Pennsylvania were packed out, with tickets going for up to £400. They are predicted to turn over around £20m this season, which would put them ahead of many Championship clubs.

If you think about it, does any of this income really rely on Wrexham playing League Two games at Barrow and Sutton? Perhaps the long-term goal is to work their way up the divisions and haul themselves into the Premier League, a fraught and fragile objective that could be derailed by any of a thousand external factors. But surely the more innovative play here is to reinvent themselves entirely as an A-list touring commodity, establish a standalone brand with a string of hand-picked opponents and eye-catching celebrity cameos, and teach Paul Mullin to dance. If you’re a prospective investor, which model of success makes more sense to you?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2023/sep/12/savannah-bananas-future-of-sport
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 98
wxm80s
September 14, 2023, 9:45am
Coke Drinker
Quoted from marinerjase

Saturday?? Don’t honestly know what to expect..head is saying we might get a pasting..heart is saying we can get something. If we go and invite pressure we’ll get found out, as good as our centre backs have been thus far. Sides will look to exploit us down our left side, anyone with pace will have some joy. And Wrexham look a lot stronger in some areas than previously. But I’ve never really been impressed with them the other way - concede far too many..and that’s why I hope we go and have a go. A Hurst team rarely gets a battering..so I’m going to go for us nicking a goal, then coming back and getting a 2-1 win. But in all honesty I wouldn’t be surprised at any result. Hope all those going enjoy it, and it’s good to see fans of other clubs on here. (IMO)

You can definitely get something from the game if you have a go. Our defence isn't settled yet and struggles with pacey players running at them. Sitting back just doesn't work, but fair play if you do that and get a result.

Mk Don's attacked us with pace and their forwards destroyed us. We were all over the shop. Same against Swindon but they weren't as good and we managed to salvage a draw.  Since then its got a lot better and we're haven't been wide open in games, just odd moments during games where we ride our luck.

Barnett is very good in the RWB role, pacey, tricky and usually has the beating of his opponent and puts in good crosses. So your left back needs to be able to deal with that.

League 2 is a definite step up. People who say there isn't much difference between the National League and League 2 are way off. It surprised me. Every team we've played so far has been highly competitive bar Tranmere. They're in big trouble from what I saw.

So I'm not sure at all about Saturday tbh. A 2-2 wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Ideal scenario is that Mullin dives in the last minute, wins a penalty and scores the winning goal.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 98
Poojah
September 14, 2023, 10:08am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from wxm80s

Ok, cool. I don't agree but we are viewing it from very different places. But, no I didn't.  Read my post back again. You used the words 'squad full of' and 'journeyman', not me.

Not sure you need to think for the future when recruiting. What's that all about? Everyone wants success now, surely.

We don't need resale value as the club is making money elsewhere to fund the squad. That's the whole point of it. Saying that we have plenty of players we could sell and make huge profit on, for example we signed Mullin and Lee on free's and there are plenty of others.

Right mate, you reeled off the names of 7 players, plus Mullin, who you described as “shíthouses”. 8 in total. 8 out of a potential starting 11 constitutes a “squad full” to my mind. It’s certainly an above average number, isn’t it?

Of those 8 players, I’d argue most of them could be described as “journeymen”, but if you’re not happy with that, let’s go with “mercenaries” instead. I think we can all agree that that’s an indisputable description; they sure as shít ain’t moving to north Wales for the rarebit, are they?

So there we go then - “Wrexham have a squad full of shíthouse mercenaries”, or “Wrexham have a squad full of mercenary shíthouses”.

Which one do you want to sign off on?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 98
Hagrid
September 14, 2023, 10:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from wxm80s

You can definitely get something from the game if you have a go. Our defence isn't settled yet and struggles with pacey players running at them. Sitting back just doesn't work, but fair play if you do that and get a result.

Mk Don's attacked us with pace and their forwards destroyed us. We were all over the shop. Same against Swindon but they weren't as good and we managed to salvage a draw.  Since then its got a lot better and we're haven't been wide open in games, just odd moments during games where we ride our luck.

Barnett is very good in the RWB role, pacey, tricky and usually has the beating of his opponent and puts in good crosses. So your left back needs to be able to deal with that.

League 2 is a definite step up. People who say there isn't much difference between the National League and League 2 are way off. It surprised me. Every team we've played so far has been highly competitive bar Tranmere. They're in big trouble from what I saw.

So I'm not sure at all about Saturday tbh. A 2-2 wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Ideal scenario is that Mullin dives in the last minute, wins a penalty and scores the winning goal.  

certainly not our strongest area!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 98
DB
September 14, 2023, 10:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
On the 28th May 2022, we played a fancied side whose promotion jubilations were already prepared. Then unfortunately the underdogs scored again and again and again and again and again. This was not the script Netfix put out but the 5 - 4 thrashing on their own turf made them play another season in the NL.

Whatever Wrexham do they had better not underestimate a Town side, nor the away support they will bring.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 98
ska face
September 14, 2023, 10:52am

Vodka Drinker
7-0 then Saturday. Barnett x 6, Mullin x 1
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 98
Limerick Mariner
September 14, 2023, 10:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,703
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Hagrid

certainly not our strongest area!

Roll out the Anfield Tactical Plan then - play 2 left backs…worked on the night, although needed extra time to finally overcome the plucky opposition tbf.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 98
wxm80s
September 14, 2023, 11:45am
Coke Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Right mate, you reeled off the names of 7 players, plus Mullin, who you described as “shíthouses”. 8 in total. 8 out of a potential starting 11 constitutes a “squad full” to my mind. It’s certainly an above average number, isn’t it?

Of those 8 players, I’d argue most of them could be described as “journeymen”, but if you’re not happy with that, let’s go with “mercenaries” instead. I think we can all agree that that’s an indisputable description; they sure as shít ain’t moving to north Wales for the rarebit, are they?

So there we go then - “Wrexham have a squad full of shíthouse mercenaries”, or “Wrexham have a squad full of mercenary shíthouses”.

Which one do you want to sign off on?

Funny. I can't take you seriously after this post. I haven't got the mental energy to keep correcting you. Enjoy the game on Saturday mate.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 98
Poojah
September 14, 2023, 12:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from wxm80s

Funny. I can't take you seriously after this post. I haven't got the mental energy to keep correcting you. Enjoy the game on Saturday mate.  

Lazy. You sound like the physical manifestation of your club’s transfer policy.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 98
Geordie Mariner 66
September 14, 2023, 12:12pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +43
Gold Stars: 2
I for one enjoyed wxm80s original post. Honest, well meaning appraisal.

We may not see eye to eye with supporters of other clubs and healthy banter is a good thing.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 98
TownSNAFU5
September 14, 2023, 12:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
Marinerjase I agree with your views and assessments.

Although “any score possible” could never realistically be 4-5 could it? 🤫😃

Wrexham have very little control over how, and how frequently, the media portray them (bar Netflix).  

After 16 years in the wilderness, I am sure many Wrexham fans would have welcomed a few years in NL obscurity and then “no fuss” years in the EFL.  No belles, whistles, excess mania and without the media circus.  

I have a lot of time for the hardcore Wrexham fans who who came to BP for a night game about 10 years ago.  We won 1-0 in a good game with a well-taken Ross Hannah goal late on. (From memory anyway).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 98
marinerjase
September 14, 2023, 2:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,655
Gold Stars: 147
Think it was more convincing than 1-0 if memory serves me right, Hannah finished his goal very well though.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 98
Poojah
September 14, 2023, 2:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from marinerjase
Think it was more convincing than 1-0 if memory serves me right, Hannah finished his goal very well though.

It was 1-0 (goal at 6:50). Sent us top at the time.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 98
MaccasBoots
September 14, 2023, 2:24pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +684
Gold Stars: 23
Sorry to take us off topic, but anyone know what the away pubs will be for Saturday? Imagine most of those near the ground will be home fans only
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 98
September 14, 2023, 2:28pm
Guest User
Quoted from Poojah

Is there an archive of matches from back then, I just love the commentary.

Reply: 60 - 98
Poojah
September 14, 2023, 2:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 123614

Is there an archive of matches from back then, I just love the commentary.

There’s some cracking videos on this YouTube channel here:

https://youtube.com/@GrimsbyTownClassic?si=r-NuG5rcqj-JHaCJ

The OnThisGTFCDay Twitter account is also well worth a look:

https://twitter.com/onthisGTFCday

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 98
September 14, 2023, 2:44pm
Guest User
Thanks mate.
Reply: 62 - 98
wxm80s
September 14, 2023, 4:58pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Lazy. You sound like the physical manifestation of your club’s transfer policy.

Tidy. It worked pretty well for us last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 98
wxm80s
September 14, 2023, 5:00pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I was at this game. We were terrible that night. Long way home after a dour 1 nil defeat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 98
Poojah
September 14, 2023, 5:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from wxm80s

Tidy. It worked pretty well for us last season.

At least twice (or maybe even thrice) the combined transfer and wage bill of the next spendiest club; of course it fúcking worked. That whatever strategy was employed was sufficient to get promoted last season is indisputable fact. I’ve merely questioned whether it was the most efficient or effective long-term use of that budget, and whilst it may not matter a jot today, it might tomorrow.

The same approach will no doubt work at this level, be it this season or next. My supposition is merely that once you start to encounter a slew of clubs with 20k+ attendances and revenue streams to match, you may need to adopt a strategy more cerebral than is likely to be the product of a Shaun Harvey / Phil Parkinson dream team.

I would suggest that the long-term success of this “project” may depend on how quickly you can get through the leagues before interest in the documentary ultimately wanes (and it will, at some point, like all good TV shows). It’s at this point that a lack of prior future planning runs the risk of biting you on the árse.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 98
Son of Cod
September 14, 2023, 6:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
This place is like a Wrexham forum at times, was only a matter of time until they started signing up.

I don't get why so many on here are triggered by them. It's all a bit cringey their American following but it is what it is, discussing it is a bit tiresome now for us, can't imagine what it's like for their actual fans.

I've got a lot of time for them as a club and a set of fans after the playoff match. A match that is obviously a much bigger deal for us than it is for them too. That's been and gone now though. Both sides are stronger than they were then, I think it will be a tight match on Saturday and probably a very stressful one to watch. They go into it as massive favourites but that exact situation is when we come into our own. I don't think we should fear any match in this division, but this is about as difficult as it comes at this level this season so we might well need to be at our best to get something.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 98
ska face
September 14, 2023, 7:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod
This place is like a Wrexham forum at times, was only a matter of time until they started signing up.

I don't get why so many on here are triggered by them. It's all a bit cringey their American following but it is what it is, discussing it is a bit tiresome now for us, can't imagine what it's like for their actual fans.

Exactly, must be boring as fúck for them having the same conversation every week. Be like us logging on somewhere and seeing all the fish puns. I thought their lad on the DN35 Podcast covered it well this week when he said that there are loads of football fans in America with no football club to support, and Wrexham are basically becoming a bit of a magnet for those people.

Not like it’s a new phenomenon either, the owners have been in for about 3 or more years now, surely most people have got over the initial shock?
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 98
Tommy
September 14, 2023, 11:26pm
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Hope we stick with the same approach of trying to dominate the ball and try to put them under pressure. I'd be very disappointed if we play the 5-2-2-1 formation we've used in cup games last season and at Barnsley last week (with the back 3, wingbacks and the box midfield).

That was alright for playing against Luton, Southampton and Brighton, but this is a team in our league who appear to be pretty shite in defence, and I hope our tactics on Saturday don't reflect the pessimism shown by some fans on here and elsewhere.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 98
CSLM
September 14, 2023, 11:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Tommy
Hope we stick with the same approach of trying to dominate the ball and try to put them under pressure. I'd be very disappointed if we play the 5-2-2-1 formation we've used in cup games last season and at Barnsley last week (with the back 3, wingbacks and the box midfield).

That was alright for playing against Luton, Southampton and Brighton, but this is a team in our league who appear to be pretty shite in defence, and I hope our tactics on Saturday don't reflect the pessimism shown by some fans on here and elsewhere.

Totally agree with you.
We need to play like we have done recently, give them something to worry about.
We have the players to control games and cause problems
I really hope we don't just sit back, we have much more chance of getting a result if we put them under pressure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 98
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 15, 2023, 7:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,844
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from moosey_club

Ahem......
"  Ohhhh Richard Brodie...used to be a w@nker but he's alright now "
Town fans like the vast majority of football fans can be very fickle.

Oh god! I’ll get my coat!

His performance at Nuneaton just before we played at Wembley (I think the Wrexham game) was up there with the sh1test performances by an outfield player I’ve ever seen.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 98
wxm80s
September 15, 2023, 9:05am
Coke Drinker
Word of warning for those travelling by coach.

Last Saturday the Doncaster fans were made to wait at Chester Services for a good hour or so before then being escorted into Wrexham and made to go straight into the ground. They had no time to go and find a pub etc at that point thanks to the police.

North Wales Police are, with regards to policing football, incompetent scared little jobsworth cretins who get everything wrong. So be warned.

The Doncaster fans said no alcohol was on sale in the away end. Not sure if this was the club or police's choice but that's pretty poor treatment of away fans overall. Given that there's zero history of trouble (with Doncaster) in the last 20 odd years, as I think we've only played each 2 or 3 times (and that was when we were in League One so yonks ago) its a real head scratcher from NWP. But like I've said, that's nothing new.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 98
Poojah
September 15, 2023, 9:23am
Vodka Drinker
No Hursty presser for this one, yet?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 98
mariner91
September 15, 2023, 9:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Tommy

100% agree with this. They're no world beaters as their goals against column shows. Sitting back invites them to do what they do best which is attack and is basically asking to be beaten.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 98
sam gy
September 15, 2023, 10:03am
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
I wonder if we do switch to 5 at the back purely to accommodate Waterfall, who is more than decent against big men and LOVES to soccer a header against Wrexham.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 98
Maringer
September 15, 2023, 10:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from wxm80s

North Wales Police are, with regards to policing football, incompetent scared little jobsworth cretins who get everything wrong. So be warned.

I think you could probably replace 'North Wales Police' with most of the other constabularies we encounter as GTFC fans and still be correct...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 98
diehardmariner
September 15, 2023, 10:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Definitely don't want any changes to be honest, Wrexham aren't all that.

Maher and Rodgers are doing incredibly well at the minute, do we really need to disrupt what they've got going on just to slot Waterfall in because Wrexham have got a couple of bigger lads?  Have we found ourselves dominated aerially so far?  

Wrexham are there to be got at.  Let's go with that quick tempo, high press and fluid movement that served us well in the first half against Bradford.  Conditions are more favourable for that tactic and I fancy Wrexham would be less equipped to deal with it than Bradford.
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 98
Poojah
September 15, 2023, 10:50am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Definitely don't want any changes to be honest, Wrexham aren't all that.

Maher and Rodgers are doing incredibly well at the minute, do we really need to disrupt what they've got going on just to slot Waterfall in because Wrexham have got a couple of bigger lads?  Have we found ourselves dominated aerially so far?  

Wrexham are there to be got at.  Let's go with that quick tempo, high press and fluid movement that served us well in the first half against Bradford.  Conditions are more favourable for that tactic and I fancy Wrexham would be less equipped to deal with it than Bradford.

I've flip-flopped in my mind a few times about this, but I think I've settled on the above as the right answer. I think Wrexham's reputation precedes them a little bit, but on their last two outings they've had narrow wins against Tranmere and Doncaster who are third from bottom and bottom respectively. They've also got the second worst defensive record in the league, averaging 2.1 goals against per game.

I'm pretty confident in our back four and goalkeeper at the minute, and I think that whilst Wrexham will inevitably come at us a lot more than Bradford were able to last weekend, they will also be a lot more generous in their own defensive third. Be bold, play our own game, press like there's no tomorrow and see what happens.

I think this is too close to call, personally, but I am in no doubt we have the ability to get something from the game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 98
wxm80s
September 15, 2023, 11:45am
Coke Drinker
Mullin might start. It wouldn't surprise me, as I saw him in the local swimming pool practising his diving whilst listening to the hand of god Maradona commentary.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 98
Hagrid
September 15, 2023, 11:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from wxm80s
Mullin might start. It wouldn't surprise me, as I saw him in the local swimming pool practising his diving whilst listening to the hand of god Maradona commentary.

surprised you didnt mistake him for a shark with that big nose of his
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 98
ginnywings
September 15, 2023, 1:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from wxm80s

Top marks for banter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 98
wxm80s
September 15, 2023, 1:39pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

surprised you didnt mistake him for a shark with that big nose of his

"Paul Mullin, your nose is offside"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 98
Posh Harry
September 15, 2023, 1:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,363
Gold Stars: 35
If hurst changes to 5 at the back I can see this place going into complete meltdown (unless we win of course 🙂)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 98
wuffing
September 15, 2023, 3:43pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from wxm80s

😂

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 98
fellowfan
September 15, 2023, 7:37pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +1
Pearson makes a comeback against his old club because we are getting battered, speaks to Mullin have mercy on us Paul. The result a 4nil thrashing it's on the cards. But there again?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 98
promotion plaice
September 15, 2023, 8:37pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,077
Gold Stars: 198

Remember this, Phil Parkinson complaining about the ref that gave his team a penalty after Mullin clearly dived and then also awarded his team a goal after Mullin pushed the ball into the net with his hand, embarrassing...

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 98
Poojah
September 15, 2023, 9:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

Remember this, Phil Parkinson complaining about the ref that gave his team a penalty after Mullin clearly dived and then also awarded his team a goal after Mullin pushed the ball into the net with his hand, embarrassing...

“I felt we’d win today”.

Lol.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 98
TAGG
September 16, 2023, 10:27am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,958
Gold Stars: 126
SUPPORTER INFORMATION | Wrexham AFC vs Grimsby Town

🔘 All the key information ahead of tomorrow's game

🔘 Due to an event at Wrexham University, parking in the University car park will be extremely limited. Alternate options can be found: https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/service/parking/find-car-park

🔴⚪#WxmAFC

https://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/news/2023/september/supporter-information--wrexham-afc-vs-grimsby-town/

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 98
HerveJosse
September 16, 2023, 11:14am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

🔘 Due to an event at Wrexham University, parking in the University car park will be extremely limited. Alternate options can be found: https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/service/parking/find-car-park

🔴⚪#WxmAFC

https://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/news/2023/september/supporter-information--wrexham-afc-vs-grimsby-town/

Wrexham has a university!!
Bsc in Diving and Histrionics?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 98
TownSNAFU5
September 16, 2023, 11:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
Wrexham University? Did I read this correctly?

Well, if their fans like banter, this must be an oxy (Welsh) moron?

As in:

Military intelligence, Chelsea’s effective recruitment policy, Scunthorpe fans believing that they have a viable and sustainable business model and Hurst makes numerous early substitutions.  

Do they teach the locals advanced level English at this university?   And basic numbers up to 4-5?😇

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 98
Les Brechin
September 16, 2023, 11:57am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from TAGG

🔴⚪#WxmAFC

OH MY GOD. NO FLASKS ALLOWED!!!!  

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 98
devs
September 16, 2023, 12:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,982
Gold Stars: 30
Think we will need at least two goals to get anything out of the game
They score lots but concede lots
We need to take every chance that comes our way - something we so often don't do; cash in when we are on top
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 98
Madeleymariner
September 16, 2023, 12:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50
I think Fenty has jumped in with the Hollywoods, FLASKS are banned.
Thanks for sticking that up Tagg, even less carparking has made my mind up and will be heading for Ruabon instead then catching a 10 min train to the ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 98
toontown
September 16, 2023, 12:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from devs
Think we will need at least two goals to get anything out of the game
They score lots but concede lots
We need to take every chance that comes our way - something we so often don't do; cash in when we are on top

They have stopped conceding lots since Ben Foster retired from being in goal for them, unfortunately. Needed to play them in the first couple of weeks really. Mullin starting to come back too.

I agree we need to score a couple to get anything from the game, I'd take a 2-2 right now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 98
ginnywings
September 16, 2023, 1:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Poojah
No Hursty presser for this one, yet?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0gdsnld
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 98
zorro_is_a_Mariner
September 16, 2023, 2:01pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Rose and eisa both ruled out.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 98
Poojah
September 16, 2023, 2:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner

And Mullin starts for Wrexham. Ffs.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 98
ginnywings
September 16, 2023, 2:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner

That's almost all our goal threat gone then, while Wrexham are the opposite and are now spoiled for choice with strikers.

A tough game just got tougher.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 98
The Caterham Mariner
September 16, 2023, 3:02pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +89
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Les Brechin

OH MY GOD. NO FLASKS ALLOWED!!!!  

Next it will be anoraks and cagoules..!!!
Brighton & Hove Albion did the same a few years ago
Uproar on Radio Sussex morning show.
Penny pinching forcing fans to use facilities on the
grounds of Health & Safety .Really .

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 98
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Wrexham Saturday

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.