Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Wrexham Saturday

This thread currently has 12,071 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
September 14, 2023, 2:28pm
Guest User
Quoted from Poojah

It was 1-0 (goal at 6:50). Sent us top at the time.

Is there an archive of matches from back then, I just love the commentary.

Reply: 60 - 98
Poojah
September 14, 2023, 2:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,555
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from 123614

Is there an archive of matches from back then, I just love the commentary.

There’s some cracking videos on this YouTube channel here:

https://youtube.com/@GrimsbyTownClassic?si=r-NuG5rcqj-JHaCJ

The OnThisGTFCDay Twitter account is also well worth a look:

https://twitter.com/onthisGTFCday

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 98
September 14, 2023, 2:44pm
Guest User
Thanks mate.
Reply: 62 - 98
wxm80s
September 14, 2023, 4:58pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Poojah

Lazy. You sound like the physical manifestation of your club’s transfer policy.

Tidy. It worked pretty well for us last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 98
wxm80s
September 14, 2023, 5:00pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Poojah

It was 1-0 (goal at 6:50). Sent us top at the time.

I was at this game. We were terrible that night. Long way home after a dour 1 nil defeat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 98
Poojah
September 14, 2023, 5:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,555
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from wxm80s

Tidy. It worked pretty well for us last season.

At least twice (or maybe even thrice) the combined transfer and wage bill of the next spendiest club; of course it fúcking worked. That whatever strategy was employed was sufficient to get promoted last season is indisputable fact. I’ve merely questioned whether it was the most efficient or effective long-term use of that budget, and whilst it may not matter a jot today, it might tomorrow.

The same approach will no doubt work at this level, be it this season or next. My supposition is merely that once you start to encounter a slew of clubs with 20k+ attendances and revenue streams to match, you may need to adopt a strategy more cerebral than is likely to be the product of a Shaun Harvey / Phil Parkinson dream team.

I would suggest that the long-term success of this “project” may depend on how quickly you can get through the leagues before interest in the documentary ultimately wanes (and it will, at some point, like all good TV shows). It’s at this point that a lack of prior future planning runs the risk of biting you on the árse.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 98
Son of Cod
September 14, 2023, 6:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
This place is like a Wrexham forum at times, was only a matter of time until they started signing up.

I don't get why so many on here are triggered by them. It's all a bit cringey their American following but it is what it is, discussing it is a bit tiresome now for us, can't imagine what it's like for their actual fans.

I've got a lot of time for them as a club and a set of fans after the playoff match. A match that is obviously a much bigger deal for us than it is for them too. That's been and gone now though. Both sides are stronger than they were then, I think it will be a tight match on Saturday and probably a very stressful one to watch. They go into it as massive favourites but that exact situation is when we come into our own. I don't think we should fear any match in this division, but this is about as difficult as it comes at this level this season so we might well need to be at our best to get something.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 98
ska face
September 14, 2023, 7:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Son of Cod
This place is like a Wrexham forum at times, was only a matter of time until they started signing up.

I don't get why so many on here are triggered by them. It's all a bit cringey their American following but it is what it is, discussing it is a bit tiresome now for us, can't imagine what it's like for their actual fans.

Exactly, must be boring as fúck for them having the same conversation every week. Be like us logging on somewhere and seeing all the fish puns. I thought their lad on the DN35 Podcast covered it well this week when he said that there are loads of football fans in America with no football club to support, and Wrexham are basically becoming a bit of a magnet for those people.

Not like it’s a new phenomenon either, the owners have been in for about 3 or more years now, surely most people have got over the initial shock?
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 98
Tommy
September 14, 2023, 11:26pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Hope we stick with the same approach of trying to dominate the ball and try to put them under pressure. I'd be very disappointed if we play the 5-2-2-1 formation we've used in cup games last season and at Barnsley last week (with the back 3, wingbacks and the box midfield).

That was alright for playing against Luton, Southampton and Brighton, but this is a team in our league who appear to be pretty shite in defence, and I hope our tactics on Saturday don't reflect the pessimism shown by some fans on here and elsewhere.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 98
CSLM
September 14, 2023, 11:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +641
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Tommy
Hope we stick with the same approach of trying to dominate the ball and try to put them under pressure. I'd be very disappointed if we play the 5-2-2-1 formation we've used in cup games last season and at Barnsley last week (with the back 3, wingbacks and the box midfield).

That was alright for playing against Luton, Southampton and Brighton, but this is a team in our league who appear to be pretty shite in defence, and I hope our tactics on Saturday don't reflect the pessimism shown by some fans on here and elsewhere.

Totally agree with you.
We need to play like we have done recently, give them something to worry about.
We have the players to control games and cause problems
I really hope we don't just sit back, we have much more chance of getting a result if we put them under pressure.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Wrexham Saturday

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.