September 13, 2023, 3:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,569
Gold Stars: 1,501
Quoted from wxm80s
Blue skies and seagulls lads  

I'm looking forward to seeing all the Grimsby players showing off their halo's on Saturday, it'll be a rare treat.

Don't want to stir up anymore anger, but we have more than one 'shithouse' in our squad.
Tozer, O'Connell, McClean, Tunnicliffe, Cannon, Palmer and Fletcher are all capable at the art of sh!thousery. I'm just glad they play for my team now, as I went about 20 years watching us getting turned over by these exact types of players who you absolutely despise but secretly want.

All-in-all, it’s a lot of money spent to wind up with a squad full of journeymen shíthouses, isn’t it? For context, as much as I don’t like the notion of financial doping in football (see Crawley, Fleetwood, Salford et al), I see Wrexham in a different bracket entirely and don’t begrudge you some success after so many lean years in non-league purgatory. It’s a novel model, and uniquely sustainable, so fair play to your owners or whoever came up with the concept.

But then I think back to the start of 21/22 season. Both Grimsby and Wrexham were starting completely afresh with new owners and, to all intents and purposes, brand new squads. The primary difference being the amount of money you had to spend on assembling your squad being considerably greater than than we had to assemble ours. And yet we overcame Wrexham when it ultimately mattered and subsequently won promotion; for me, that shouldn’t have happened.

I wish Wrexham well, with all of the obvious caveats that come with a comment like that, and I’ll probably stick on the new documentary tonight or tomorrow. I just think you’ve gone in a bit loud and dumb with your recruitment and to a greater extent, your gaffer.

I get that there will always be a degree of “Wrexham tax” to pay whoever it is you’re dealing with, but if you tot up all
of the money that’s been spent on wages and transfer fees, I can’t help but feel a little underwhelmed with what you’ve got at at this stage. Half-a-million for Luke Armstrong was a bullet dodged imo, at least if we’re talking value for money.

You may well beat us on Saturday, like you may well finish above us this season. I just can’t help but feel that you could be so much better than you are right now.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 98
September 13, 2023, 3:09pm
Guest User
Quoted from wxm80s

All of a sudden I feel sleepy...

From what I've seen from the referees in this league so far the majority couldn't find their own bottom with both hands and are painfully inconsistent and incompetent. No better than the dreadful standard in the National league.

Sir Paul Mullin only plays the way any other professional footballer plays and that includes all of your strikers, who would take any opportunity presented to them to gain an advantage for their team. And they would be daft not to.
This faux morale high ground opposition fans take on this subject continues to be highly amusing due its its glass house nature.

Haha cop out!

Reply: 31 - 98
wxm80s
September 13, 2023, 4:46pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Poojah

All-in-all, it’s a lot of money spent to wind up with a squad full of journeymen shíthouses, isn’t it? For context, as much as I don’t like the notion of financial doping in football (see Crawley, Fleetwood, Salford et al), I see Wrexham in a different bracket entirely and don’t begrudge you some success after so many lean years in non-league purgatory. It’s a novel model, and uniquely sustainable, so fair play to your owners or whoever came up with the concept.

But then I think back to the start of 21/22 season. Both Grimsby and Wrexham were starting completely afresh with new owners and, to all intents and purposes, brand new squads. The primary difference being the amount of money you had to spend on assembling your squad being considerably greater than than we had to assemble ours. And yet we overcame Wrexham when it ultimately mattered and subsequently won promotion; for me, that shouldn’t have happened.

I wish Wrexham well, with all of the obvious caveats that come with a comment like that, and I’ll probably stick on the new documentary tonight or tomorrow. I just think you’ve gone in a bit loud and dumb with your recruitment and to a greater extent, your gaffer.

I get that there will always be a degree of “Wrexham tax” to pay whoever it is you’re dealing with, but if you tot up all
of the money that’s been spent on wages and transfer fees, I can’t help but feel a little underwhelmed with what you’ve got at at this stage. Half-a-million for Luke Armstrong was a bullet dodged imo, at least if we’re talking value for money.

You may well beat us on Saturday, like you may well finish above us this season. I just can’t help but feel that you could be so much better than you are right now.

Hmm not sure we have a squad full of "journeymen shithouses". We have a few but they're also very good players still. McClean from what I've seen of him as one example would get into most teams in this league if not all and the league above.

Our summer transfers clearly didn't go to plan and I'm sure lessons would've been learnt. Hence the last day of the transfer window debacle which must have been embarrassing for the owners when they have Shaun Harvey ex EFL chief exec running the club. It can't and won't all go swimmingly.
A lot of Wrexham fans are just happy to be back in the league now and would be content with season or two here to if nothing else see off some of the bandwagoners. I don't see that happening though in terms of the demand for tickets.

Who knows if we could be better? Its impossible to judge. You could say the same about a lot of clubs. We just won the National league with a record points total and won all bar one game at home which we drew, so despite our iffy start to this season I find it hard to be critical at this stage.

Other fans keep banging on about Parkinson "the dinosaur" etc but he has a far better record than many other managers in this division. For example Luke Williams of Notts who they think is the next Pep. Yet Parkinson's tactics against them were spot on and had it not been for sickeningly incompetent linesman in the game at the Racecourse we could've been out of sight by half time.
Plus he has to deal with the circus that surrounds the club and the camera crews which he doesn't like. Yes he's had money but so did a lot of other managers at other clubs like Luton, FGR etc in the conference and FGR in particular struggled for years. Basically his record speaks for itself and I'm more than happy with him for now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 98
Poojah
September 13, 2023, 4:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,569
Gold Stars: 1,501
Quoted from wxm80s

Hmm not sure we have a squad full of "journeymen shithouses". We have a few but they're also very good players still. McClean from what I've seen of him as one example would get into most teams in this league if not all and the league above.

Our summer transfers clearly didn't go to plan and I'm sure lessons would've been learnt. Hence the last day of the transfer window debacle which must have been embarrassing for the owners when they have Shaun Harvey ex EFL chief exec running the club. It can't and won't all go swimmingly.
A lot of Wrexham fans are just happy to be back in the league now and would be content with season or two here to if nothing else see off some of the bandwagoners. I don't see that happening though in terms of the demand for tickets.

Who knows if we could be better? Its impossible to judge. You could say the same about a lot of clubs. We just won the National league with a record points total and won all bar one game at home which we drew, so despite our iffy start to this season I find it hard to be critical at this stage.

Other fans keep banging on about Parkinson "the dinosaur" etc but he has a far better record than many other managers in this division. For example Luke Williams of Notts who they think is the next Pep. Yet Parkinson's tactics against them were spot on and had it not been for sickeningly incompetent linesman in the game at the Racecourse we could've been out of sight by half time.
Plus he has to deal with the circus that surrounds the club and the camera crews which he doesn't like. Yes he's had money but so did a lot of other managers at other clubs like Luton, FGR etc in the conference and FGR in particular struggled for years. Basically his record speaks for itself and I'm more than happy with him for now.

It was you that put forward the suggestion of a squad full of shíthouse bástards, not me.

No doubting you’ve got some good players - I’m just not sure I see a whole lot of future thinking in your recruitment. Older players, on big money seems to be the order of the day. If it works, it works, I just don’t see a squad with a great deal of resale value relative to what it cost to acquire. You ain’t getting your £300k back for Ollie Palmer, that’s for sure.

As I’ve said already, I am, at the very worst, ambivalent towards Wrexham. It’s just my objective opinion that, from the outside looking in, the approach taken is arguably not the best or fastest in the long-run. Your record season is all fine and well, but it was ultimately made possible thanks to abject failure the season before. And it was “abject” - that division should have been yours for the taking, circus or not.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 98
sam gy
September 13, 2023, 5:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from wxm80s

Of course he would, he was literally a first team player in the Championship last season?

And i'm sure you are paying him accordingly  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 98
MuddyWaters
September 13, 2023, 5:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,255
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from sam gy

Of course he would, he was literally a first team player in the Championship last season?

And i'm sure you are paying him accordingly  

He too is ‘buying into the project’, is he?
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 98
moosey_club
September 13, 2023, 5:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,266
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from wxm80s

Pretty sure that whatever label they get tagged with they will be victorious on Saturday.....we are due a loss and your other posts  encouraging words of "attack us with pace and don't sit back" is pretty much the exact opposite of what we will offer so a a handsome home win will be my prediction for this one.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 98
louth_in_the_south
September 13, 2023, 5:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,690
Gold Stars: 96
I’d gladly have Mullins in a town shirt .

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 98
CSLM
September 13, 2023, 6:36pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +641
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from wxm80s
Greetings from North Wales. Its been a while. I don't remember what the result was last time we played, think you might have nicked it  

After a difficult start we seem to be getting better. Attack us with pace and you have every chance. Sit back and that's more than likely to end in defeat.

Hayden is out but we have plenty of more than adequate cover in defence. Tunnicliffe (who btw is actually our best defender) is back and O'Connell is fit to play too.
We now have Mendy and McClean for LWB so we should be almost at full strength, I doubt Mullin will start but I didn't think we'd be seeing him until at least October so you never know. We missed him more than I thought we would.
Most of our home games have been entertaining to say the least. Lee is in outstanding form. As is McClean who ran riot at Tranmere, who looked destined for non league.

Expecting a real battle as usual.

Not the friendliest welcome for you I see mate lol.

Going to be very tricky for us i think but we are capable.

I personally hope we don't change formation, if we can get support to Rose and get our wingers motoring we can do some damage.
Wrexham are strong going forward but our defence is more than decent now.

Should be an interesting one.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 98
ska face
September 13, 2023, 7:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Take some cash if you’re off on Saturday -

110th Anniversary of the Miners Rescue Station, Maesgwyn Road

Wrexham Miners Project is a volunteer-run charity which is responsible for the restoration of the nearby Miners Rescue Station. But we are so much more than just this!

We also host thriving, community-run arts and crafts groups for a wide range of young, disadvantaged children and youths, and adults with learning difficulties and dementia. We also have a busy and welcoming Rescue Café, which is open throughout the week for everyone’s use, and is particularly popular with ex-miners, locals and football supporters before the kick-offs.

The Miners Rescue Station was officially opened on 1st November 1913 to train selected miners who formed Mines Rescue Teams (MRT) at all the local collieries throughout the North East Wales Coalfield. Their training was extremely demanding, both physically and mentally, to prepare them for the harrowing challenges they often faced underground.

Next Friday will be the 89th Anniversary of the Gresford Colliery Disaster, when 266 miners lost their lives in an underground explosion that ripped through the Dennis Section of the mine, which lies deep below the grounds of the Pant-yr-Ochain pub. Despite the gallant efforts of several, local MRTs, the resultant intense heat, destruction and noxious gases unleashed by the explosion meant very few of those miners working within the Dennis Section escaped or could be rescued. To compound the tragedy, several MRT members lost their lives as they fought the conditions to save their trapped colleagues. Sadly, having swapped shifts so they could see their team play Tranmere Rovers at the Racecourse, so many fellow fans could never join their friends in the 10,100 crowd on that fateful day.

Alas, due to the ravages of time and its partial demolition in 2010 by an errant previous owner with access to a digger, the building’s infrastructure is not in a great state! Nevertheless, the spirits of our volunteers and those they help remain buoyant. We, however, urgently need your support to not only save this historically important building for future generations but, importantly, to redevelop it into a modern, community hub which will also house a coal mining museum, an arts gallery and sheltered-housing for vulnerable adults. Furthermore, this development will make the Miners Rescue Station an important educational destination for the region’s schoolchildren, where they will learn about the region’s industrial past and relate it to a rejuvenated future.

To make all this possible, your support is essential. Please give whatever you can spare to both preserve our heritage and create a modern, vibrant community centre for locals, visitors and tourists to the region.

Whether you are a Rob, a Ryan or a Rhiannon, you are all welcome to visit us at either http://www.wrexhamminersproject.co.uk or, preferably, by dropping into the Miners Rescue Station for a cup of tea and a chat with our friendly staff, and where you will make new friends.

Finally, our new website should become active today. Enjoy the game and please give what you can. Even a few bob will help us transform the Miners Rescue Station.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Wrexham Saturday

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.