Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 7 points lost from winning position in 5 matches
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

7 points lost from winning position in 5 matches

This thread currently has 4,931 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
The Caterham Mariner
August 27, 2023, 7:21pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +91
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from SheepGTFC
5 matches into a 46 game season and the doomers are chatting away already  

Me i will wait till after Christmas, then i start to think /Worry what are we playing at ?
Being an optimist looking for positive light  at the end of the tunnel , before we give Sarina Wiegman a call !!
UTM 2023--24

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 60
acko338
August 27, 2023, 8:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,224
Gold Stars: 33
We do need to ensure we have competition at left back  not sure why Glennon has lost form so much.

Up front, we need all of the strikers fit, but we are missing what Lloyd gave us last season - harassing, chasing, and  with a few goals also thrown in.

I know he is recovering from injury, but certainly worth a loan if he gets back to full fitness quickly.

Eisa will soon be a marked man, so options are needed.

Will Hurst look for a younger loan striker option before the window closes?

Most just filled places without tearing up any trees, Richardson perhaps was an exception before his injury.

Is there already a bid out waiting for other players to move in / out to clear a chain?

Fun being a fan, isn't it ??
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 60
toontown
August 27, 2023, 9:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from devs

Harry is often asked to do things beyond his ability IMO - he should be our defensive midfielder who keeps things simple with 5/10-yard passes and let's the other front 5 (whoever that may be) be the outlets for skill/craft/composure

Absolutely not - doing that negates the good things in his game - the getting all over the pitch, the driving forward with the ball, getting in the box to score, etc.

Plus hevwould give too many fouls away outside the box for free kicks.

He can play defensive midfielder, like he can play just about anywhere, but that shouldn't be the position he is played in.

Plus conteh is excellent in that position anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 60
Running like emson
August 27, 2023, 9:43pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +285
Gold Stars: 8
Lloyd is not the answer. He is an ex-lover, let him go
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 60
gtfc_chris
August 31, 2023, 12:31pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
I said this on another thread:

19th August 2021 - Mansfield are 3rd in the league having W2, D1, L0.
05th October 2021 - Mansfield are 22nd in the league having W2, D3, L5.
Final League Position: 7th.

I also had a wonder about something more recent so will add this:

23rd August 2022 - Stockport are 21st in the league having W1, D0, L4, GF6, GA 9
Final League Position; 4th.

I know the information can't be considered as comparable until the end of the season, where it will either prove that our start was simply indifferent before we found a rhythm at some point, or that we started as we finished and end mid-table.

I also know the argument is not solely the result but how our performances potentially affect the outcome of the result, be that in terms of how we get at teams from the off, make defensive mistakes to lose points from a winning position or anything in between.

My point by referencing these scenarios is that even the first 10 games don't necessarily determine a teams final position, regardless of performance. We can make our own judgements based on what we like to see but I'd suggest that we often feel more favourably about a performance when we win, even if it's poor. It's easy for the result to provide a bias towards the positive or negative, especially when most games are quite close in their nature at this level.

The one thing I've read that I agree with is that the general manner of how we're playing is typical PH, and personally I've always been OK with it. If you could guarantee me the L2 Pep/De Zerbi equivalent then I'd probably take it, but we also discuss the 20 year history of the club and talk of how poor it has been. In the two full seasons we've had with PH we've had a promotion and an FA Cup Quarter Final run. Looking at things with the context of the previous 20 years the evidence is that the pragmatic approach he brings to the game has worked out OK.

My trust in his approach is based on continual improvement. He's a manager who typically achieves success as a result of incremental improvements and I think we've done that year on year since his return. I can understand why people would want to keep rolling the dice on managers coming in with a drastic change in playing style for entertainment, but as that has been our model for 20 years with nothing to show, I'll take a period of time to settle, get some solid foundations and make sure that any future changes can be made stepping off in a better place than we historically have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 60
ginnywings
August 31, 2023, 12:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from gtfc_chris
I said this on another thread:

19th August 2021 - Mansfield are 3rd in the league having W2, D1, L0.
05th October 2021 - Mansfield are 22nd in the league having W2, D3, L5.
Final League Position: 7th.

I also had a wonder about something more recent so will add this:

23rd August 2022 - Stockport are 21st in the league having W1, D0, L4, GF6, GA 9
Final League Position; 4th.

I know the information can't be considered as comparable until the end of the season, where it will either prove that our start was simply indifferent before we found a rhythm at some point, or that we started as we finished and end mid-table.

I also know the argument is not solely the result but how our performances potentially affect the outcome of the result, be that in terms of how we get at teams from the off, make defensive mistakes to lose points from a winning position or anything in between.

My point by referencing these scenarios is that even the first 10 games don't necessarily determine a teams final position, regardless of performance. We can make our own judgements based on what we like to see but I'd suggest that we often feel more favourably about a performance when we win, even if it's poor. It's easy for the result to provide a bias towards the positive or negative, especially when most games are quite close in their nature at this level.

The one thing I've read that I agree with is that the general manner of how we're playing is typical PH, and personally I've always been OK with it. If you could guarantee me the L2 Pep/De Zerbi equivalent then I'd probably take it, but we also discuss the 20 year history of the club and talk of how poor it has been. In the two full seasons we've had with PH we've had a promotion and an FA Cup Quarter Final run. Looking at things with the context of the previous 20 years the evidence is that the pragmatic approach he brings to the game has worked out OK.

My trust in his approach is based on continual improvement. He's a manager who typically achieves success as a result of incremental improvements and I think we've done that year on year since his return. I can understand why people would want to keep rolling the dice on managers coming in with a drastic change in playing style for entertainment, but as that has been our model for 20 years with nothing to show, I'll take a period of time to settle, get some solid foundations and make sure that any future changes can be made stepping off in a better place than we historically have.

That would be my view in a nutshell. Slow and steady wins the race.

Would like to see a few more goals mind.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 60
fishcake63
August 31, 2023, 12:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Talking of goals still think harry produces more goal threat coming in off left wing making runs in behind , think playing centrally he in two minds stick or twist , he was brilliant tuesday i know we played 10 men but he gave us the desire needed , play the new lad in harrys central position & watch us create 🔥🔥
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 60
SheepGTFC
September 3, 2023, 2:35am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +280
Gold Stars: 6
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 60
Grantham_Mariner
September 23, 2023, 5:14pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,191
Gold Stars: 51
Even more points dropped from winning positions.  What needs to be done to stop this!

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 60
September 23, 2023, 5:29pm
Guest User
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Even more points dropped from winning positions.  What needs to be done to stop this!

Maybe we need a couple of Hollywood millionaires like Wrexham............oh wait, think they got stuffed today!

Reply: 59 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 7 points lost from winning position in 5 matches

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.