Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 7 points lost from winning position in 5 matches
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

7 points lost from winning position in 5 matches

This thread currently has 4,926 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
It Bites
August 27, 2023, 11:16am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,208
Gold Stars: 265
The money needs to come out this week for a new left back and a player who can score goals to play with Rose . I still can’t believe we haven’t addressed all this with the money and time we’ve had . If we finish below 10 th this season hurst should be sacked
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 60
ginnywings
August 27, 2023, 11:21am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from It Bites
The money needs to come out this week for a new left back and a player who can score goals to play with Rose . I still can’t believe we haven’t addressed all this with the money and time we’ve had . If we finish below 10 th this season hurst should be sacked

Eisa has 4 in 5.

Mind you, they don't count as they were all lucky ones.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 60
MuddyWaters
August 27, 2023, 11:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings
This is definitely a recurring theme.

We don't set the world on fire, fans get disgruntled, and the more vociferous want Hurst's head on a pike.

He then usually turns around our fortunes and we go on a run of sorts, winning games we thought not possible and getting us promoted, or taking us on a mega cup run. He also manages to get us to our highest league position in a couple of decades, all the while with a squad that most thought wasn't capable of those things. There were relegation fears last season from some don't forget, and many calls for change.

Am I sticking up for Hurst? Yes I am, even though I'm not, and never have been his biggest fan. I've waited, along with many others to see a team that looks capable of challenging at the right end of league 2 since Russel Slade Mk 1. That's 2 decades now isn't it?

It's worth noting that it was Slade's second season in league 2 when that happened, and it was also the much vaunted Lincoln for whom the second season was the charm.

I've said this before and it's worth repeating, that it takes at least 10 or 12 games for the league to settle down, and we have had a particularly difficult start with our fixtures, in what is a much improved league overall. PH teams very rarely get rinsed, and don't need to improve much to turn narrow losses into draws, and draws into wins.

I think PH deserves our backing, because he has earned it. He is dogged and determined and usually finds a way, even if it is mostly a dull journey getting there, but having said all that, I realise a lot of fans want a bit more excitement along the way; myself included. I wouldn't be crying if the owners decided it was time to change direction and manager, but we know that is not going to happen anytime soon.

I will do what I always do, which is to see how the season pans out over time and hope it's a good one.

Whilst I tend to agree with the sentiment, the frustration remains that we always seem to start slowly. Surely he knows by now that the way to get the crowd up is to get on the front foot?

We’re told that we’ve got a better squad and, whilst football isn’t played on paper, it would seem that’s true. And don’t get me started on subs. He says he wanted nine man benches but rarely, if ever, does he use the five he’s allowed.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 60
Hagrid
August 27, 2023, 11:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from It Bites

Sacked for finishing below 10th? You are insane. You dont get anywhere chopping and changing and flipping about. PH is steady and he will guarantee you continuous improvement.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 60
ginnywings
August 27, 2023, 11:56am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Whilst I tend to agree with the sentiment, the frustration remains that we always seem to start slowly. Surely he knows by now that the way to get the crowd up is to get on the front foot?

We’re told that we’ve got a better squad and, whilst football isn’t played on paper, it would seem that’s true. And don’t get me started on subs. He says he wanted nine man benches but rarely, if ever, does he use the five he’s allowed.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's pretty pointless criticising everything that PH does. He picks the team and the tactics because that is what his job is. Every fan has an opinion as to who should be playing, where they should be playing, and when they they should be substituted. This whole running saga about lack of substitutions and him having favourites is a complete red herring for me. Most fans think it's as simple as changing things and it will have a positive effect, when it could just as easily have a negative impact. Do you think he deliberately sets out to have a slow start to the season? Of course not, and It's not true anyway. We started like a train in our last non league season if I remember correctly.

He's the manager, he gets paid to make those decisions, and he stands and falls by them. That is my stance on it, and I try not to get worked up about the whys and wherefores.

It's normal for fans to have a chunter, I get that, but we are not going to win every game every week, and no amount of post match analysis is going to change the result. Hurst is our manager and one day he won't be, but that isn't going to happen at least for this season I would imagine; not unless we have a disastrous run and are in danger of relegation. Can't see that happening, so we have to take what comes or stop attending.

Yes, have a moan, have an opinion, but frothing at the mouth and calling for a change of manager after an away draw is just madness, especially given the fact that we are five games into the season and have lost one game by one goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 60
GollyGTFC
August 27, 2023, 12:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
Whether you like Hurst or not, I think everyone can understand the frustration with some of the decision making.

Yesterday was a prime example. No substitutes to freshen it up when 1-0 up and when they did equalise he waits 7 minutes to make a change. And it wasn’t even like we were creating lots of good chances. It was a scrappy game in the final third for both teams.

It amazing to think Paul Hurst was so annoyed that L1 & L2 clubs voted down having 9 subs to choose from like is already the case in the Championship.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 35 - 60
TownSNAFU5
August 27, 2023, 12:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
Mooney (comments above) you could also have mentioned our brilliant FAC run last season.  Unprecedented.  Just saying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 60
TownSNAFU5
August 27, 2023, 12:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
Sorry, meant to type “Moosey”.  The name was changed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 60
ginnywings
August 27, 2023, 12:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Whether you like Hurst or not, I think everyone can understand the frustration with some of the decision making.

Yesterday was a prime example. No substitutes to freshen it up when 1-0 up and when they did equalise he waits 7 minutes to make a change. And it wasn’t even like we were creating lots of good chances. It was a scrappy game in the final third for both teams.

It amazing to think Paul Hurst was so annoyed that L1 & L2 clubs voted down having 9 subs to choose from like is already the case in the Championship.

But that makes an assumption that changes would have made a positive difference.

If he'd made changes and we went on to lose the game, he'd be crucified, and suddenly bringing on subs would make him a cretin. The Parslow point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 60
MuddyWaters
August 27, 2023, 12:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings

The point I'm trying to make is that it's pretty pointless criticising everything that PH does. He picks the team and the tactics because that is what his job is. Every fan has an opinion as to who should be playing, where they should be playing, and when they they should be substituted. This whole running saga about lack of substitutions and him having favourites is a complete red herring for me. Most fans think it's as simple as changing things and it will have a positive effect, when it could just as easily have a negative impact. Do you think he deliberately sets out to have a slow start to the season? Of course not, and It's not true anyway. We started like a train in our last non league season if I remember correctly.

He's the manager, he gets paid to make those decisions, and he stands and falls by them. That is my stance on it, and I try not to get worked up about the whys and wherefores.

It's normal for fans to have a chunter, I get that, but we are not going to win every game every week, and no amount of post match analysis is going to change the result. Hurst is our manager and one day he won't be, but that isn't going to happen at least for this season I would imagine; not unless we have a disastrous run and are in danger of relegation. Can't see that happening, so we have to take what comes or stop attending.

Yes, have a moan, have an opinion, but frothing at the mouth and calling for a change of manager after an away draw is just madness, especially given the fact that we are five games into the season and have lost one game by one goal.

I'm 'moaning', as you put it, about our slow start to games not the season. I'm well aware that we had a potentially tricky start in terms of fixtures but it's PH that moans about the slow start to games and has done for some time.

He's the manager and will be for some time it seems.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 7 points lost from winning position in 5 matches

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.