Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 7 points lost from winning position in 5 matches
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

7 points lost from winning position in 5 matches

This thread currently has 4,925 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Limerick Mariner
August 27, 2023, 12:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,700
Gold Stars: 136
We have Wilson and Khan to come back. Wilson and Rose upfront and drop Vernam to the bench for now. Khan on the bench as well - showed he was decent finisher when he got chances last season.

They’ve both played a lot at League 2 level and at 26 and 27 plenty of years left in their legs, may even be yet to peak, we’ll see.

We’d all like to sign someone like Luke Armstrong but it won’t happen. TBH as said elsewhere - probably the ideal signing to play with Rose would be McAtee…
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 60
chaos33
August 27, 2023, 12:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from It Bites
The money needs to come out this week for a new left back and a player who can score goals to play with Rose . I still can’t believe we haven’t addressed all this with the money and time we’ve had . If we finish below 10 th this season hurst should be sacked

Is everything in your life that simplistic or do you just save that for on here?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 60
grimps
August 27, 2023, 12:58pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
I’m happy for the old ten games and see routine but what gets me is the lack of scoring chances .
I can accept lots of dull football if we’re winning , it’s harder to accept when we’re not
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 60
chaos33
August 27, 2023, 1:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
The Salford, Mansfield and Notts County games weren’t dull. This is now sounding like a received idea mostly peddled by moaning twits who probably didn’t even watch them.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 60
Son of Cod
August 27, 2023, 2:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
7 points from losing positions but we didn't deserve anything from the Notts and Mansfield matches so it only really feels like 2 dropped for me. The frustrating thing about yesterday was the inevitability of it all. Failure to kill matches off continues as a problem into this season, but as someone alluded to further up that's the nature of the way Hurst plays. On the one hand it's steady and safe, but on the other you can argue it's really not as our fate often hinges on a defensive error or a missed/taken chance because we're constantly working with a single goal margin.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 60
sam gy
August 27, 2023, 3:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from moosey_club

Yes...but its indicative of the style and approach ......49 goals scored last season ?
Danny Rose yesterday had probably one true strikers chance in the game. I think he is more than capable of scoring the goals but needs more than 1 chance.

Ok - so I take it you weren’t too happy with how we played last season.

So we try and change it/improve things by buying a load of new players, but you’re not willing to give them time to gel and what’s more are judging the manager and team on last season’s output still? Even though more than half the starting 11 has changed and we signed like 10 players?

Do not get that, at all.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 60
GrimRob
August 27, 2023, 4:20pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,411
Gold Stars: 113
September looks quite a tough month on paper as well. If we've only lost one game by the end of that month we''ll have done quite well. Scoring goals from distance by one player isn't a tactic that's likely to bear fruit for long though.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 46 - 60
devs
August 27, 2023, 4:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,982
Gold Stars: 30
Big issue in first few matches is lack of decent chances created
Mainly down to poor delivery from out wide - whether that be Mullarkey/Amos or Eisa/Vernam
Added to which you will not get many killer passes from Clifton and Holohan; you get 100% fitness, stamina, workrate commitment etc but not craft and composure

Harry is often asked to do things beyond his ability IMO - he should be our defensive midfielder who keeps things simple with 5/10-yard passes and let's the other front 5 (whoever that may be) be the outlets for skill/craft/composure

We had 65% possession yesterday but created two shots on target one of which was a wonder strike; we need bread an butter chances cos we can't rely on worldies

Hunt and Vernam should/could be great sources for final balls etc but the former is played too deep and the latter just rarely produces

I don't think it's not having a regular 20-goal a season striker it's more a case of creating chances on a regular basis

And as many have alluded to - I never ever feels safe at 1-0 up cos of reasons stated above

It's going to be huge problem in L2 - it needs solving if we are to move up and challenge the play off positions

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 60
moosey_club
August 27, 2023, 5:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,266
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Sorry, meant to type “Moosey”.  The name was changed.

Here and now...not last season.....and if anything those games just add to the conundrum, bright positive front foot approach and unrecognisable from the League games.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 60
moosey_club
August 27, 2023, 5:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,266
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from sam gy

Ok - so I take it you weren’t too happy with how we played last season.

So we try and change it/improve things by buying a load of new players, but you’re not willing to give them time to gel and what’s more are judging the manager and team on last season’s output still? Even though more than half the starting 11 has changed and we signed like 10 players?

Do not get that, at all.

I am not too happy with how we played last season by and large.
Hurst has his positives no doubt ....but his style doesn't over please me.
Nicking a 1 goal win by percentage inhibited  football isn't my cup of tea, don't get me wrong it can be great if it's in the last minute....but its not a season long plan that I subscribe to.
It is early season, it is a new squad, there are injuries but there are Hurst career long traits showing and I don't honestly believe right now, that  even after 10-15 games the prognosis will be much different.

Hopefully something clicks.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 7 points lost from winning position in 5 matches

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.