Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 7 points lost from winning position in 5 matches
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

7 points lost from winning position in 5 matches

This thread currently has 4,923 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
sam gy
August 27, 2023, 9:56am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Always think a good barometer for if a manager should be sacked is what the reaction of other clubs fans and the wider football world would be, ie people removed from the club.

And i think if we were to sack Hurst, people would think we were batshit crazy.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 60
moosey_club
August 27, 2023, 9:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,252
Gold Stars: 226
Mentally hard to do but imagine the manager isn't Paul Hurst for a minute but consider the below in isolation,

Best budget a manager has had in a long time.
Full pre season to rest , prep. Plan
Business done early and key targets seemingly acquired.
Full pre season completed.
League Results 1 win, 3 draws, 1 loss.
Leads given up. (7 points as identified earlier)
1 goal per game average.
Scoring opportunities minimal.
We are joint 14th in the scoring charts
Entertainment value pretty low across the games so far.

Regardless of the manager the above doesnt make scintillating reading. If you are creating minimal chances and taking only 1 of them on average then you need to be absolutely watertight and hope you don't get an over officious ref who gifts the opposition something, both of which unlikely over 90 mins at League 2 level.

The current squad certainly seems to have alot of the right attributes for this League but personally would like to see them used a little more adventurously....and that is where Hurst and i think his staff are falling short.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 60
lew chaterleys lover
August 27, 2023, 10:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from sam gy
Always think a good barometer for if a manager should be sacked is what the reaction of other clubs fans and the wider football world would be, ie people removed from the club.

And i think if we were to sack Hurst, people would think we were batshit crazy.

There is zero chance of Hurst being sacked if we were bottom with no goals no points and no chances.

No one is asking for that at all, apart from a couple of firebrand on Twitter but many are questioning several things regarding how we play, and if we are making the most of what we've got, and who we can possibly bring in.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 60
sam gy
August 27, 2023, 10:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club
Mentally hard to do but imagine the manager isn't Paul Hurst for a minute but consider the below in isolation,

Best budget a manager has had in a long time.
Full pre season to rest , prep. Plan
Business done early and key targets seemingly acquired.
Full pre season completed.
League Results 1 win, 3 draws, 1 loss.
Leads given up. (7 points as identified earlier)
1 goal per game average.
Scoring opportunities minimal.
We are joint 14th in the scoring charts
Entertainment value pretty low across the games so far.

But we’re FIVE games in!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 60
sam gy
August 27, 2023, 10:26am
Cocktail Drinker

There is zero chance of Hurst being sacked if we were bottom with no goals no points and no chances.

No one is asking for that at all, apart from a couple of firebrand on Twitter but many are questioning several things regarding how we play, and if we are making the most of what we've got, and who we can possibly bring in.

Someone on this thread was calling for him to go, that’s what my post was aimed at.

No problem with questioning things at all, or suggesting it could improve….of course it could.

Just don’t think our start is that bad considering the teams we’ve played…been a bit bland and uninspiring but we seem relatively solid at the same time. Good base to build on as our players get more time to gel (we have a lot of new players especially attackers) and we get some important players but to full fitness/back from injury. As I said, we’re five games in.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 60
moosey_club
August 27, 2023, 10:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,252
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from sam gy

But we’re FIVE games in!

Yes...but its indicative of the style and approach ......49 goals scored last season ?
Danny Rose yesterday had probably one true strikers chance in the game. I think he is more than capable of scoring the goals but needs more than 1 chance.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 60
August 27, 2023, 10:40am
Guest User
Quoted from denni266
Why are all the teams we play classed as top teams. After spending approx 1 mill other teams should be saying that about us. I don't believe for one minute it's all the players fault and there is one common denominator in this.. Hurst about time he went

What did Hurst ever do to you?  You never miss an opportunity to slag him off.

Reply: 26 - 60
SheepGTFC
August 27, 2023, 10:47am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +278
Gold Stars: 6
5 matches into a 46 game season and the doomers are chatting away already  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 60
August 27, 2023, 10:48am
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club

Yes...but its indicative of the style and approach ......49 goals scored last season ?
Danny Rose yesterday had probably one true strikers chance in the game. I think he is more than capable of scoring the goals but needs more than 1 chance.

Not a bad season though, huh?

Reply: 28 - 60
ginnywings
August 27, 2023, 11:06am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
This is definitely a recurring theme.

We don't set the world on fire, fans get disgruntled, and the more vociferous want Hurst's head on a pike.

He then usually turns around our fortunes and we go on a run of sorts, winning games we thought not possible and getting us promoted, or taking us on a mega cup run. He also manages to get us to our highest league position in a couple of decades, all the while with a squad that most thought wasn't capable of those things. There were relegation fears last season from some don't forget, and many calls for change.

Am I sticking up for Hurst? Yes I am, even though I'm not, and never have been his biggest fan. I've waited, along with many others to see a team that looks capable of challenging at the right end of league 2 since Russel Slade Mk 1. That's 2 decades now isn't it?

It's worth noting that it was Slade's second season in league 2 when that happened, and it was also the much vaunted Lincoln for whom the second season was the charm.

I've said this before and it's worth repeating, that it takes at least 10 or 12 games for the league to settle down, and we have had a particularly difficult start with our fixtures, in what is a much improved league overall. PH teams very rarely get rinsed, and don't need to improve much to turn narrow losses into draws, and draws into wins.

I think PH deserves our backing, because he has earned it. He is dogged and determined and usually finds a way, even if it is mostly a dull journey getting there, but having said all that, I realise a lot of fans want a bit more excitement along the way; myself included. I wouldn't be crying if the owners decided it was time to change direction and manager, but we know that is not going to happen anytime soon.

I will do what I always do, which is to see how the season pans out over time and hope it's a good one.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 7 points lost from winning position in 5 matches

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.