9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
April 9, 2023, 9:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,161
Gold Stars: 211
Each season we look for improvements. Did last summer's signings move us on?

Glennon — Crookes released, on balance I think we can say this has been an upgrade

Green — Fox went to Northampton, not sure this was an upgrade but I don't think we've seen the best of Green yet

Khan — probably the Sousa replacement, six goals suggests we improved here although I don't think he presses or carries the ball as well as Sousa

Kiernan — signed to allow Clifton play for centrally, so no like-for-like replacement, think he improved the squad generally

Maher — technically replaced Longe-King, who was never really involved. Definite upgrade here

Orsi — signed to supplement Taylor & McAtee, so a sort of Dieseruvwe/Abrahams replacement. Part of the cup run but no league goals... no upgrade for me here

Morris & Hunt — can't really find like-for-like replacements. On paper this looks an improvement but I don't think either of them have shown their best for one reason or another.

Then we have a cluster of players who play in those wide attacking positions or through the middle — Dickson-Peters, O'Neill, Wearne, Pepple, Simmonds, Richardson... Hurst seems to have a habit of over-signing in this area, we also had Maguire-Drew and Scannell in the squad. I never quite got what the plan was (or is) for these lads. On reflection, only Richardson looked worth it — looked like a young Andy Cook to me. If he doesn't make the cut at Burnley I'm sure he'll have a good career in the EFL.

So in summary, on paper, I think our squad did improve, but there have been too many players playing within/beneath themselves and we went backwards in the attacking positions.

We just haven't had any strike partnerships this season due to injuries, personnel, squad rotation, etc. Huge upgrade needed here.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
MuddyWaters
April 9, 2023, 10:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,284
Gold Stars: 236
I think the lack of any meaningful attacking signings across both transfer windows has defined our season. We’ve got/had enough midfield and defensive options. The biggest problem has been the lack of quality in front of them.

Interested in your comments about Green. Definitely something there but not an improvement on Fox and, for me, he needs to learn to look after possession better.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 87
HertsGTFC
April 9, 2023, 10:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,991
Gold Stars: 228
Green & Maher were signed from a club that’s been stuck in the NL for ages and failed again in last years play off’s sometimes it shows.

Don’t get why people thought Richardson was great when he was just the best of several undeveloped attacking loanees. Kiernan? We’ve missed his honestly & application since he left & McAtee came back in as a starter.

Orsi, hard to judge him in the league as Hurst hasn’t given him a chance despite Taylor’s frequent absences, but I sense he’s a squad player at best.

Glennon, would be better utilised if we could pass the ball to the left.

Khan, we know he’s decent, we just need him to stay injury free for a few months.

The rest? Meh….

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 87
Mappers
April 9, 2023, 10:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,434
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from RichMariner
Each season we look for improvements. Did last summer's signings move us on?

Glennon — Crookes released, on balance I think we can say this has been an upgrade

Green — Fox went to Northampton, not sure this was an upgrade but I don't think we've seen the best of Green yet

Khan — probably the Sousa replacement, six goals suggests we improved here although I don't think he presses or carries the ball as well as Sousa

Kiernan — signed to allow Clifton play for centrally, so no like-for-like replacement, think he improved the squad generally

Maher — technically replaced Longe-King, who was never really involved. Definite upgrade here

Orsi — signed to supplement Taylor & McAtee, so a sort of Dieseruvwe/Abrahams replacement. Part of the cup run but no league goals... no upgrade for me here

Morris & Hunt — can't really find like-for-like replacements. On paper this looks an improvement but I don't think either of them have shown their best for one reason or another.

Then we have a cluster of players who play in those wide attacking positions or through the middle — Dickson-Peters, O'Neill, Wearne, Pepple, Simmonds, Richardson... Hurst seems to have a habit of over-signing in this area, we also had Maguire-Drew and Scannell in the squad. I never quite got what the plan was (or is) for these lads. On reflection, only Richardson looked worth it — looked like a young Andy Cook to me. If he doesn't make the cut at Burnley I'm sure he'll have a good career in the EFL.

So in summary, on paper, I think our squad did improve, but there have been too many players playing within/beneath themselves and we went backwards in the attacking positions.

We just haven't had any strike partnerships this season due to injuries, personnel, squad rotation, etc. Huge upgrade needed here.

To flip it round
Should we have tried to retain Diserwurve ?

Think the lad would have been decent at league 2 hes better than Orsi IMO so we actually downgraded there
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 87
MuddyWaters
April 9, 2023, 10:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Green & Maher were signed from a club that’s been stuck in the NL for ages and failed again in last years play off’s sometimes it shows.

Don’t get why people thought Richardson was great when he was just the best of several undeveloped attacking loanees. Kiernan? We’ve missed his honestly & application since he left & McAtee came back in as a starter.

Orsi, hard to judge him in the league as Hurst hasn’t given him a chance despite Taylor’s frequent absences, but I sense he’s a squad player at best.

Khan, we know he’s decent, we just need him to stay injury free for a few months.

The rest? Meh….

Khan is a decent footballer but is like a statue. Off the ball movement is non existent, much like most of his teammates.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 87
MuddyWaters
April 9, 2023, 10:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

To flip it round
Should we have tried to retain Diserwurve ?

Think the lad would have been decent at league 2 hes better than Orsi IMO so we actually downgraded there

He’s scored 5 goals in about 80 EFL appearances for umpteen different clubs.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 87
Mappers
April 10, 2023, 7:30am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He’s scored 5 goals in about 80 EFL appearances for umpteen different clubs.

Not really too fussed about that
He was a terrible starter
But a great one to have off the bench to cause bedlam for 30 to 40 minutes
Ironically him and Abraham were 2 that Hurst used well off the bench .
Would you rather have Orsi or Mani on for the final 30 minutes if you were chasing a game ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 87
lukeo
April 10, 2023, 7:36am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,398
Gold Stars: 149
Mani 100%.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 87
Posh Harry
April 10, 2023, 7:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,371
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Mappers

Not really too fussed about that
He was a terrible starter
But a great one to have off the bench to cause bedlam for 30 to 40 minutes
Ironically him and Abraham were 2 that Hurst used well off the bench .
Would you rather have Orsi or Mani on for the final 30 minutes if you were chasing a game ?

It’s been stated before, mani wanted first team football, hurst made it clear, rightly, that he would not be first choice, and so no discussions ever happened about a contract
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 87
Mappers
April 10, 2023, 8:12am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

It’s been stated before, mani wanted first team football, hurst made it clear, rightly, that he would not be first choice, and so no discussions ever happened about a contract

I can't imagine we tried very hard to keep him ,as it transpired he would have actually got more minutes than expected.

I think on Mani and Sousa with hindsight Hurst would have have kept them both , both inconsistent but useful and could provide a point of difference to what we have ; Sousa can actually carry the ball ,I am not sure now if we have anyone that can really .

I think its more down to the fact we could not for whatever reason attract better quality of player than we did (i am assuming to Hurst's suprise ) that we are even debating that they have been missed in some way  .

It has to be rectified this summer , we need an Andy Smith or Connor Townsend rather than 7-8 squad players to make up the numbers . Then upgrades throughout the side and on the bench .

It still makes me nervous , although i am a PH fan that he is too stubborn in his ways and wont lose 'his shape ' with the budget in the summer and we will  just see a small incremental improvement within  the squad .

Hope i am wrong

Time will tell
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 87
lukeo
April 10, 2023, 8:27am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,398
Gold Stars: 149
PH was honest to Mani, which I respect and agree he wouldn't be a starter in league 2. Mani said he wants to play regular football. He joined Halifax. PH wanted Mani to stay as a squad player, its a shame Mani left but I respect him for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 87
TwoLeftFeet
April 10, 2023, 8:39am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Hurst thought he could sign better.. he didn't
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 87
RichMariner
April 10, 2023, 10:08am
Brandy Drinker
As others have said, Mani wanted first team football. I was impressed with the way he made the ball stick up front during his loan spell, typically off the bench. Grabbed a few crucial goals too (v Woking, Notts Co & Wrexham).

Hindsight again (isn’t it great?!) but I think he’d have been more useful to us this season instead of Taylor.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 12 - 87
HertsGTFC
April 10, 2023, 10:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
As others have said, Mani wanted first team football. I was impressed with the way he made the ball stick up front during his loan spell, typically off the bench. Grabbed a few crucial goals too (v Woking, Notts Co & Wrexham).

Hindsight again (isn’t it great?!) but I think he’d have been more useful to us this season instead of Taylor.

I thought his first touch was pony in the several games I watched him play but he did create an impact with important goals and when brought on he seemed to add something different.

Every player wants first team football every week, you’d worry if they didn’t. At least Hurst was honest with him at the time which allowed the lad to get another club which in itself is a challenge for a NL level player.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 87
jamesgtfc
April 10, 2023, 10:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Sometimes you have to go as second choice and back yourself to take the opportunity when it arises like Max did. The way this season has gone, Mani would have had plenty of opportunities.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 87
lew chaterleys lover
April 10, 2023, 10:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,754
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Mappers

I can't imagine we tried very hard to keep him ,as it transpired he would have actually got more minutes than expected.

I think on Mani and Sousa with hindsight Hurst would have have kept them both , both inconsistent but useful and could provide a point of difference to what we have ; Sousa can actually carry the ball ,I am not sure now if we have anyone that can really .

I think its more down to the fact we could not for whatever reason attract better quality of player than we did (i am assuming to Hurst's suprise ) that we are even debating that they have been missed in some way  .

It has to be rectified this summer , we need an Andy Smith or Connor Townsend rather than 7-8 squad players to make up the numbers . Then upgrades throughout the side and on the bench .

It still makes me nervous , although i am a PH fan that he is too stubborn in his ways and wont lose 'his shape ' with the budget in the summer and we will  just see a small incremental improvement within  the squad .

Hope i am wrong

Time will tell

That's my worry about Hurst as well. Interestingly he said the other day he thinks a lot of players get paid too much. Maybe they do but that is not the mindset for transfer negotiations!

We have to accept the reality or it will be difficult to make progress.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 87
Bigdog
April 10, 2023, 12:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from HertsGTFC

The rest? Meh….

I'd have Richardson back in a heartbeat, but only as a permanent signing, create some certainty in his career. Saw enough in him before his injury to see that he could mature into a very capable and effective attacking threat in L1 or L2. A bit like Sam Bell, who's now starting and scoring at Bristol City. Agree about Kiernan's honesty and workrate, and even more so his pace. We haven't really replaced that..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 87
mimma
April 10, 2023, 12:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
This season's team still has players signed for non league football. We are now in a different position having some money to spend thanks to the cup run. Hurst won't waste it he will be looking hard at what is available and how much.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 87
MuddyWaters
April 10, 2023, 12:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mimma
This season's team still has players signed for non league football. We are now in a different position having some money to spend thanks to the cup run. Hurst won't waste it he will be looking hard at what is available and how much.

May be an unpopular opinion but I think we’ll be better off without McAtee and the distraction he brings. He clearly needs to get his head around being a team player and, only on a couple of occasions since his return, have his individual skills reaped a reward.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 87
toontown
April 10, 2023, 1:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,274
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Posh Harry

That's a Bullshit sop fed to fans when they want a player to stay and a club doesn't want to try hard enough for him to stay - he wants first team football.

Do you honestly think Halifax have said to him he is guaranteed to be picked every week, of course not.

Basically Hurst was saying, politely, thanks but no thanks to mani. He admitted he was within a whisker of not having him on the bench against Notts and his other staff persuaded him. He was a player he never really fancied at NL level. He thought we could do better at league 2 level. He was wrong (dickson Peters, O'Neil, simmonds etc). Even orsi he has barely wanted to pay if he has a choice. The stuff about first team football - mani had done well for Hurst in that playoff campaign and Hurst is a decent guy, he doesn't want to say ' I don't think he's good enough' so it suits both parties to put that Spin on it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 87
April 10, 2023, 1:33pm
Guest User
Quoted from toontown

That's a Bullshit sop fed to fans when they want a player to stay and a club doesn't want to try hard enough for him to stay - he wants first team football.

Do you honestly think Halifax have said to him he is guaranteed to be picked every week, of course not.

Basically Hurst was saying, politely, thanks but no thanks to mani. He admitted he was within a whisker of not having him on the bench against Notts and his other staff persuaded him. He was a player he never really fancied at NL level. He thought we could do better at league 2 level. He was wrong (dickson Peters, O'Neil, simmonds etc). Even orsi he has barely wanted to pay if he has a choice. The stuff about first team football - mani had done well for Hurst in that playoff campaign and Hurst is a decent guy, he doesn't want to say ' I don't think he's good enough' so it suits both parties to put that Spin on it.

So your source is?

Reply: 20 - 87
lew chaterleys lover
April 10, 2023, 1:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,754
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from 123614

So your source is?

I don't suppose he needs a "source" if it is an opinion.

That's what forums are for - sharing an opinion, a guess, a preference, a comment on our football club.

If we needed a "source" for everything we say on here they wouldn't be a bloody forum would there?
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 87
toontown
April 10, 2023, 2:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 123614

So your source is?

If you are referring to the bit about Hurst being close to not putting mani on the bench itvwas his own post match interview where he admitted as such.

The interviewer asked if it was a difficult decision not to start his and he, being a very honest manager, said no it was easy. But then said it was a difficult decision as to whether he should be on the bench, other staff and a feeling we might need a goal had tipped him from no he shouldn't to yes he should is about the size of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 87
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 10, 2023, 2:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but we`d have got more out of Mani and/or Abrams than we have out of Orsi this season.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 87
April 11, 2023, 8:47am
Guest User

That's what forums are for - sharing an opinion, a guess, a preference, a comment on our football club.

If we needed a "source" for everything we say on here they wouldn't be a bloody forum would there?

The first two paragraphs are NOT opinions.

Reply: 24 - 87
chaos33
April 11, 2023, 8:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,994
Gold Stars: 362

Depends how you phrase you opinion doesn’t it.
For instance, if you use a phrase like ‘it’s clear that’ or It’s obvious’, like you did in your ‘opinion’ on how we conduct transfer processes, you conflate facts with opinions. It’s not difficult is it.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 87
grassbandits
April 11, 2023, 9:00am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +123
Gold Stars: 5
Appreciate this likely isn't the most exciting news and he's out injured for the rest of this season but 100% deal done for Vernam return in the summer..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 87
bradzmilne
April 11, 2023, 9:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 30
Mani wasn’t of quality, that’s the bottom line.

He scored some goals I’ll be eternally grateful for and should never had to buy a drink in Cleethorpes ever again. However, due to the goals - I think we view him with somewhat rose tinted glasses.

On the whole he was poor & if we set the bar at Mani’s level at the end of last season (sentiment aside) we wouldn’t have been best pleased.

Why we didn’t push the boat out and buy an even semi-recognised striker, I honestly don’t know. Equally though, that also doesn’t mean Mani was necessarily the answer.

We have to look forward now, who can we bring in? A couple of early names to throw in the hat:

Luke Armstrong from Harrogate. Would require a decent fee but the first time I saw him, I instantly thought he was a PH striker. Scored goals in a struggling Harrogate team. If we could somehow secure a Lloyd & Armstrong partnership up front next year….  

Toto Nsiala - out of contact. Tried and trusted by Hursty. I’m not a huge fan of resigning ex players, however he’d ease our prospective centre half worries & will still have plenty in the tank.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 87
Mayaman
April 11, 2023, 9:45am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from MuddyWaters

May be an unpopular opinion but I think we’ll be better off without McAtee and the distraction he brings. He clearly needs to get his head around being a team player and, only on a couple of occasions since his return, have his individual skills reaped a reward.

Yeah.   He's busy berating players for lack of a quality ball, but his control against Donny was shocking.   The layback for Harry made it hard for Clifton to get a good shot in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 87
fishboyUTM
April 11, 2023, 10:08am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from grassbandits
Appreciate this likely isn't the most exciting news and he's out injured for the rest of this season but 100% deal done for Vernam return in the summer..

It's exciting for me. A fantastic player who will solve the problem left wing side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 87
DB
April 11, 2023, 10:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.42
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,050
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from grassbandits

My concern about Vernham if he is out injured is will he be any good ( back to his good form) when he returns from injury. Both Morris and McAtee looked completely different players when they returned from injury and I wonder if Vernam might be the same.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 87
Mappers
April 11, 2023, 10:26am
Champagne Drinker
Weird with this as after some games I am thinking keep the majority , add a few bit off quality because we are not too far away .

Then after 170 minutes of Hartlepool and Donny I am thinking we need a complete rebuild .

I have a feeling it will be somewhere in between with probably all under contract staying, around half of out of contracts offered new deals and half released .

Orsi i would release but then he was fantastic yesterday and in some of the cup games ,maybe he just has not had enough game time?

I dont know ,this is why I am a supporter first and not a manager , in Hurst we trust and hope he gets it right
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 87
diehardmariner
April 11, 2023, 11:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,674
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from bradzmilne
However, due to the goals - I think we view him with somewhat rose tinted glasses.

But that's what strikers get judged on.  Whilst at Town, his record was absolutely peerless.  7 goals in 16 games (only 3 of which were starts).  A goal every 71 minutes he played.

12 in 38 at a Halifax side that's spent most of the season struggling is the sort of return we've dreamed off from a striker this campaign.  

I dunno if he's league standard, or certainly not to the standard of a side that have aspirations of promotion into League One.  But he was a damn sight better than the raft of loanees that were brought in throughout the season and you can probably include those that have had permanent deals this season too.  

Very much like in 2016 when we came up.  We rightly looked to upgrade, but we actually downgraded in some areas.

Hindsight is ace, but I'd have kept Mani with the challenge of 'go and prove you're good enough to start'.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 87
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 11, 2023, 11:51am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from bradzmilne
Mani wasn’t of quality, that’s the bottom line.

He scored some goals I’ll be eternally grateful for and should never had to buy a drink in Cleethorpes ever again. However, due to the goals - I think we view him with somewhat rose tinted glasses.

On the whole he was poor & if we set the bar at Mani’s level at the end of last season (sentiment aside) we wouldn’t have been best pleased.

Why we didn’t push the boat out and buy an even semi-recognised striker, I honestly don’t know. Equally though, that also doesn’t mean Mani was necessarily the answer.

We have to look forward now, who can we bring in? A couple of early names to throw in the hat:

Luke Armstrong from Harrogate. Would require a decent fee but the first time I saw him, I instantly thought he was a PH striker. Scored goals in a struggling Harrogate team. If we could somehow secure a Lloyd & Armstrong partnership up front next year….  

Toto Nsiala - out of contact. Tried and trusted by Hursty. I’m not a huge fan of resigning ex players, however he’d ease our prospective centre half worries & will still have plenty in the tank.

The fee for Armstrong might be reduced if they get relegated and that's looking more likely as they nosedive and Hartlepool and (to some extent) Crawley are making a fight of it. Their game in hand may be golden.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 87
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 11, 2023, 11:53am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

But that's what strikers get judged on.  Whilst at Town, his record was absolutely peerless.  7 goals in 16 games (only 3 of which were starts).  A goal every 71 minutes he played.

12 in 38 at a Halifax side that's spent most of the season struggling is the sort of return we've dreamed off from a striker this campaign.  

I dunno if he's league standard, or certainly not to the standard of a side that have aspirations of promotion into League One.  But he was a damn sight better than the raft of loanees that were brought in throughout the season and you can probably include those that have had permanent deals this season too.  

Very much like in 2016 when we came up.  We rightly looked to upgrade, but we actually downgraded in some areas.

Hindsight is ace, but I'd have kept Mani with the challenge of 'go and prove you're good enough to start'.

7 in 16 is better than Orsi has done for us or Harrogate.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 87
Son of Cod
April 11, 2023, 11:57am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from bradzmilne

I'd be very happy with Armstrong as well, he's looked decent every time I've seen him. Said on another thread, Baker-Richardson at Crewe is someone I'd like to think is on our radar.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 87
Sir Matt Tease
April 11, 2023, 12:18pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +293
Gold Stars: 31
This thread is entitled "Upgrades"

I'm afraid some people are easily pleased as most of the names mentioned are definitely NOT upgrades.

Why the obsession with ex players ? Vernham, had a few decent games but was anonymous the rest of the time. Done nothing since he left us, NO. Nsiala, always looked like an accident waiting to happen, NO.

Liked the look of the Hartlepool right wing back and the midfielder who scored a hat-trick, they would be upgrades. Also watched the Halifax v Wrexham match and Alli for Halifax would be an upgrade. He was a bit like Sousa but knew what he was doing  

There are players out there but they must be BETTER than what we have or whats the point ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 87
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 11, 2023, 12:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease

I'm afraid some people are easily pleased as most of the names mentioned are definitely NOT upgrades.

Why the obsession with ex players ? Vernham, had a few decent games but was anonymous the rest of the time. Done nothing since he left us, NO. Nsiala, always looked like an accident waiting to happen, NO.

Liked the look of the Hartlepool right wing back and the midfielder who scored a hat-trick, they would be upgrades. Also watched the Halifax v Wrexham match and Alli for Halifax would be an upgrade. He was a bit like Sousa but knew what he was doing  

There are players out there but they must be BETTER than what we have or whats the point ?

I take your point completely but I'm not sure players playing below our level can be seen as upgrades unless they are really outstanding. Is a player from Halifax really going to be an upgrade? (Yes, Paul Futcher....)

The general feeling is that Loyd looks the business and we should sign him and he comes from a team above us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 87
Son of Cod
April 11, 2023, 12:31pm
Champagne Drinker

Liked the look of the Hartlepool right wing back and the midfielder who scored a hat-trick

Kemp, the midfielder who scored a hattrick, is on loan at Hartlepool from MK Dons so not sure that's a goer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 87
Maringer
April 11, 2023, 12:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,666
Gold Stars: 189
The only thing I'd say about Dieseruvwe (I would have been happy if he had stayed as back-up this season), is that he's only scored a dozen this season, despite being involved in pretty much every game. 3 goals in the last couple of games makes his tally look a bit better - they all count, of course.

As we've seen from all our forwards this season, a reasonable scoring record in the Conference isn't necessarily a great indication that similar numbers could be achieved a division higher as it is certainly more difficult to get the goals here.

I expect he could well have done a bit better than the bit part players we've seen with Taylor and McAtee injured or out of form, but I think Hurst wanted to move away from long-ball stuff this season. Didn't work out quite as he had hoped!

It will be interesting to see what the plans are for next season. We've ended up playing much of the season with 3 at the back almost by accident, but I'm not convinced we really have the players to make a real success of this. Glennon certainly isn't quick or fit enough to play wing-back, Amos a bit quicker but hasn't won the place so that's the left-hand side lacking. On the other side, Efete isn't confident enough to make a go of being an attacking wing-back enough, even though I think it is probably within his range. Emmanuel in and out of the team as well and not a wing-back.

On the assumption that Smith isn't with us again next season, I could certainly see us playing Efete in a back 3 regularly and this could give us the chance to sign a proper attacking wing-back, but that still leaves us a little lacking on the left-hand side. If Vernam is to return, I'd expect we'll be going back to a flat back four once again.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 87
Sir Matt Tease
April 11, 2023, 1:29pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +293
Gold Stars: 31
[quote=140636]

I take your point completely but I'm not sure players playing below our level can be seen as upgrades unless they are really outstanding. Is a player from Halifax really going to be an upgrade? (Yes, Paul Futcher....)

The general feeling is that Loyd looks the business and we should sign him and he comes from a team above us

I was just commenting on what I saw, he looked a very useful player and incidentally he scored again in the next match. Watch the highlights, he looked just the exciting type of player we need.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 87
bradzmilne
April 11, 2023, 1:36pm
Whiskey Drinker

I would be very surprised if Hurst didn’t have that conversation with Mani & he rejected it because he wanted to be a first choice striker elsewhere. He’d had been a decent enough alternative option but he wouldn’t have been anyones first choice.

This time last year, he started up front against a very poor Kings Lynn team & was absolutely useless. His strength was coming on as an impact sub and mixing things up, when you needed something different.

Hindsight is tricky because I’m certain there was some sort of domino effect, which resulted in us going into the season so short of striking options. There is no chance that Hurst would have been naive enough to go into the season with the striking options we had... Something, somewhere must have fell through.

Regardless though, Hursty cannot afford to make that mistake again irrelevant of what did or didn’t happen.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 87
Mappers
April 11, 2023, 2:13pm
Champagne Drinker

I sort of agree with what you are saying

But on a wider point is there actually that many 'great 'players in league 2 ?

I think teams are wildly inconsistent with players who invariably are all at a similiar level with a few exceptions , it must be true to some extent as who would have picked Leyton Orient & Carlisle to be right up there  it just seems if you get on a role you can get decent momentum ,look at Stockport they were lower than us a few months ago and now could get a top 3 spot .

Like I have before i expect us to challenge top 3 mainly based on past teams to go up knowing its not in the main the big spenders that go right through , but then realistically i think the league will be stronger next season with about half the league spending all and sundry to get out so would a more modest improvement be acceptable ?

I would not be against having Toto back I am assuming he has improved a lot and would add height and physicality something that seems vital at this level , who knows if hes even available though hasnt he been league 1 for years ?

I agree with Vernam though he was basically copy and paste as above about league 2 players , it seems a lot of the good technical players at this level have a hit rate of about 1 in 4 or 5 , i suppose with him like Maguire Drew you are hoping it plays a vital part in gaining points or promotions .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 87
diehardmariner
April 11, 2023, 3:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

It will be interesting to see what the plans are for next season. We've ended up playing much of the season with 3 at the back almost by accident, but I'm not convinced we really have the players to make a real success of this. Glennon certainly isn't quick or fit enough to play wing-back, Amos a bit quicker but hasn't won the place so that's the left-hand side lacking. On the other side, Efete isn't confident enough to make a go of being an attacking wing-back enough, even though I think it is probably within his range. Emmanuel in and out of the team as well and not a wing-back.

On the assumption that Smith isn't with us again next season, I could certainly see us playing Efete in a back 3 regularly and this could give us the chance to sign a proper attacking wing-back, but that still leaves us a little lacking on the left-hand side. If Vernam is to return, I'd expect we'll be going back to a flat back four once again.

I think Hurst likes the system and once he gets a taste for something, he doesn't like to deviate it from it.

At the minute I think he's torn between old faithful of 4-4-2 (or a variation of) and wingbacks.  I agree that we haven't got the wingbacks to play the system effectively.  Efete and Emmanuel don't look consistent enough to do the role but as a pairing (Efete as centre-back and Emmanuel the wingback), we do look a different prospect.  

I suppose Vernam, if he comes back, adds a dynamic where you have to play wingers to get the best out of him.  I suppose a 3-4-3 would suit wingbacks and wingers, potentially alleviating some of the concerns over our current offerings at wingback too.  Glennon and Amos might look different in those positions if they've someone in front of them still, albeit potentially slightly inverted.  

I like the wingback system and the benefits it brings, but it's very niche and requires each position to have a specialist in it.  You can't get away with shoehorning people in really.  

At the back you've got to to have mobile centre-backs, especially the wider ones.  You need a screening midfielder and then two absolute engines who can get across and cover the raiding wingbacks.  The wingbacks have to have their own super levels of stamina but also be able to deliver crosses at will, because there's no-one else who's going down there.  Add to that they've got to defend too.  Then up top you're potentially not getting much service because everyone else is stretched, so you need to make sure you've someone who can hold it up but another who can drop in to fill the gap between attack and midfield and then someone stretch their defence, ideally you've got two who can do both those roles in tandem.

I think the raw components are there.  In Efete and Maher there's wide centre-backs who can move and get forward.  Waterfall is the warrior in the middle but I think Smith could do that role (wouldn't be surprised to see him here permanently this summer).  Emmanuel, again as per Smith I'm not convinced he gets bigger and better offers than us this summer, with a pre-season behind could be very, very dangerous on a consistent level in this division.  The left needs an upgrade, be it Amos and Glennon kick-on or we bring in better.  Centrally I'd like Green to be the one who protects the back four and just gets in the way.  Clifton, if here, is your absolute legs and I'd be keen to see Hunt further forward looking to use his technical ability other than just spraying passes across the back.

Up front is where we fall short, but that's the same in any system.

Realistically you've gotta have cover for every position too.  You can't revert back to 4-4-2 because one player is out.  Easy to see why so few teams go with wingbacks.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 87
diehardmariner
April 11, 2023, 3:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from bradzmilne

I would be very surprised if Hurst didn’t have that conversation with Mani & he rejected it because he wanted to be a first choice striker elsewhere. He’d had been a decent enough alternative option but he wouldn’t have been anyones first choice.

This time last year, he started up front against a very poor Kings Lynn team & was absolutely useless. His strength was coming on as an impact sub and mixing things up, when you needed something different.

Hindsight is tricky because I’m certain there was some sort of domino effect, which resulted in us going into the season so short of striking options. There is no chance that Hurst would have been naive enough to go into the season with the striking options we had... Something, somewhere must have fell through.

Regardless though, Hursty cannot afford to make that mistake again irrelevant of what did or didn’t happen.

Oh absolutely.  Truth be told I don't think Hurst really fancied Mani.  The first team shout was almost an easy get out for Hurst, because otherwise he's faced with an Amond type situation again where he gets asked why didn't we try to keep him...

Mani's a confident lad and would have backed himself to get a chance, hell you could see Taylor would pick up injuries based on history alone.  Added to that I think we all knew McAtee would leave, the only real surprise was that we got him back on loan for the full season.  

There was definitely an aspiration to improve on Mani, as there should have been too!  But as with too many transfer windows for my liking, we look to have got caught short again and again when it came to our targets.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 87
forza ivano
April 11, 2023, 4:04pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,281
Gold Stars: 266
all this talk about mani ignores the fact that Mani didn't want to stay ,because PH couldn't guarentee he'd be first choice
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 87
bradzmilne
April 11, 2023, 10:42pm
Whiskey Drinker

Oh absolutely.  Truth be told I don't think Hurst really fancied Mani.  The first team shout was almost an easy get out for Hurst, because otherwise he's faced with an Amond type situation again where he gets asked why didn't we try to keep him...

Mani's a confident lad and would have backed himself to get a chance, hell you could see Taylor would pick up injuries based on history alone.  Added to that I think we all knew McAtee would leave, the only real surprise was that we got him back on loan for the full season.  

There was definitely an aspiration to improve on Mani, as there should have been too!  But as with too many transfer windows for my liking, we look to have got caught short again and again when it came to our targets.

Yep, you’ve hit the nail on the head.

The next balancing act is going out and getting that illusive striker. Ideally early doors without over paying.

That’s a tough job for any manager.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 87
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 11, 2023, 11:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,979
Gold Stars: 184
Tyler walker , Josh umerah, Louis moult, Andy cook, Lee Gregory, Charles vernam! All Players we’ve been linked with before all are out of contract in June!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 87
April 12, 2023, 8:59am
Guest User
Quoted from grassbandits

Is this a fact, or just some more speculation?

Reply: 48 - 87
GtfcGarner
April 12, 2023, 9:07am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Tyler walker , Josh umerah, Louis moult, Andy cook, Lee Gregory, Charles vernam! All Players we’ve been linked with before all are out of contract in June!

Last time Walker was at this level he absolotely tore it up and can see him getting a L1 team.

Umerah - I think he's still got another year hasn't he?

Moult - Not kept track on him since going to jockland

Cook - Will be Bradford's biggest earner or get a move back to a mid-tabled L1 team maybe Lincoln/Wycombe to replace Sam Vokes?

Gregory - Someone has mentioned we've been in talks to sign him from Wednesday, I know he's early 30s but surely got another season at L1 before dropping into L2 for another payday?

Vernam - Only logical one I could see on this list unless we absolutely give Hartlepool what they want for Umerah.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 87
diehardmariner
April 12, 2023, 9:23am
Vodka Drinker
There's very little, not anything I can find anyway, on the length of contract Vernam signed with Lincoln last summer.

If he is out of contract, I will be absolutely amazed if he's offered another contract there and he doesn't end up back here.

By all accounts Hurst really wants him and has found himself caught waiting on more than one occasion for him.  Vernam himself was very keen to make the move in January but it was blocked due to Kennedy not getting the players through the door at Sincil Bank that he wanted.

Completely understand why people are turned off by returning players, but ignoring his previous history here and he's quite clearly an upgrade on what we already have in the building.  I mean really we've only got one winger in the squad as it is so it's not difficult, but he is a very good player at this level.  I think we would do well to find better.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 87
Mappers
April 12, 2023, 10:04am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from 123614

Is this a fact, or just some more speculation?

Its not fact unless he's already signed

Look at Ryan Bennett wasn't that all but a done deal ?

They are never signed until their signed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 87
forza ivano
April 12, 2023, 10:23am

Exile
I'll throw in a couple of the youngsters from Scunny as possibilities - Shrimpton n Gallimore. not saying it's going to happen, but they're on the radar apparently
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 87
Mariner_09
April 12, 2023, 12:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from forza ivano
I'll throw in a couple of the youngsters from Scunny as possibilities - Shrimpton n Gallimore. not saying it's going to happen, but they're on the radar apparently

I'm not sure what I make to becoming like vultures over Scunny's academy. On the one hand, it is what it is, waiting for the patient to snuff it and then immediately and coldly pouncing. On the other, I love it. They pinched our best players for years, it's pay back time lads.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 87
Poojah
April 12, 2023, 1:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,729
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Mariner_09

I'm not sure what I make to becoming like vultures over Scunny's academy. On the one hand, it is what it is, waiting for the patient to snuff it and then immediately and coldly pouncing. On the other, I love it. They pinched our best players for years, it's pay back time lads.

This image still haunts me.

[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Martin_Paterson_%28cropped%29.jpg[/img]

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 87
pontoonlew
April 12, 2023, 1:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
It amazes me that people think a player who’s scored 12 goals in the league below (with 3 coming in the past 2 games) would’ve been the answer to our striking woes.

Perhaps it shows how poor our options up top are, but I’m convinced Mani would’ve been just as bad as the rest of them have been.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 87
diehardmariner
April 12, 2023, 1:27pm
Vodka Drinker
I don't think anyone believes he would have solved all the problems we have up there.

But it's about that supposed incremental improvement to me.  If Mani was our back-up striker at this point last year, have we honestly improved on him as the alternative?

We've had Pepple, Simmonds, Richardson, Dickson-Peters, Orsi and probably someone else who's proved to be even less memorable.  Orsi's the one who I think deserves an extended chance but largely I don't think any of those looked or have proven to be any better as an alternative to Mani.   I'm not really offering that up as a compliment either.

At various points this season we've looked lackluster up top but with nothing on the bench that really changes things.

It's quite damning that we've failed to upgrade on what we had as first choice and have most certainly downgraded on what our alternative options are, especially when Mani has (as you pointed out) done relatively little in the league we were in last season and Tristan Abrahams did even less, before bizarrely getting a move to Gillingham.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 87
diehardmariner
April 12, 2023, 1:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

There's definitely legs in Shrimpton, not so sure about Gallimore.  

The other one we're supposed to be interested in is Cameron Wilson.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 87
Mappers
April 12, 2023, 6:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew
It amazes me that people think a player who’s scored 12 goals in the league below (with 3 coming in the past 2 games) would’ve been the answer to our striking woes.

Perhaps it shows how poor our options up top are, but I’m convinced Mani would’ve been just as bad as the rest of them have been.

It does show how poor options are up top

But Mani might reach 15 goals in an average Halifax side ,which i would argue is a decent achievement .

These types -Mani ,Akpo Pako , Akinfenwa are not great starters or players by any means but as impact players off the bench can cause mayhem ,without too much time to think .

IF we can't sign a couple that are better , i would even say i would push the boat out and try and get Mani back ; we have not had a striker anywhere near that goal tally this season ,and he adds that option when chasing a game to go 3 or 4 up top and cause carnage (especially with the Cropper dart ).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 87
forza ivano
April 12, 2023, 8:09pm

Exile
For christ sake.how many more times?? MANI DIDN'T WANT TO STAY HERE BECAUSE PH COULDNT GUARENTEE HIM A STARTING PLACE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 87
rancido
April 13, 2023, 6:59pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,652
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from forza ivano
For christ sake.how many more times?? MANI DIDN'T WANT TO STAY HERE BECAUSE PH COULDNT GUARENTEE HIM A STARTING PLACE

Exactly. So why would PH change his opinion on Mani if he wants to build a promotion pushing team? If he couldn't guarantee him a starting place in a team that had just gained League 2 status then there is no way he would or could do the same for a potential League1 side.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 87
Nutsy
April 14, 2023, 11:12am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +158
Gold Stars: 5
I watched the highlights from the play-offs again, and so may have my rose-tinted spectacles on, but if the opportunity to have McAtee back again, I would want him.

I quite like, on paper, the idea of trying some iteration of Lloyd, Orsi, McAtee, Khan and Clifton. I appreciate this doesn't have a 'big man', but would certainly intimidate with a mixture of tenacity, flair and aggression.

Obviously, big strikers do cause problems (look at Hudlin for example).

For me, defence is fine - Glennon, Waterfall, Maher and Emmanuel are strong enough to start. Amos and Efete are able substitutes. We just need a couple of reinforcements here.

Midfield is trickier. I think Clifton, Holohan, Green, Hunt and Khouri are fine but we need a CM similar to Fox who can play as part of a 2 man midfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 87
waltham_mariner
April 14, 2023, 11:21am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +16
Arjan Raikhy not been offered a new contract with Villa - one we could snap up as a free agent?

I thought he was impressive in his short spell here last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 87
cannylad65
April 14, 2023, 12:20pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +77
Gold Stars: 7
I'm looking forward to reading the discussions for the January window.

No doubt all these thoughts will be repeated, just as they are every transfer window.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 87
Son of Cod
April 14, 2023, 1:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Nutsy
I watched the highlights from the play-offs again, and so may have my rose-tinted spectacles on, but if the opportunity to have McAtee back again, I would want him.

I quite like, on paper, the idea of trying some iteration of Lloyd, Orsi, McAtee, Khan and Clifton. I appreciate this doesn't have a 'big man', but would certainly intimidate with a mixture of tenacity, flair and aggression.

For me, defence is fine - Glennon, Waterfall, Maher and Emmanuel are strong enough to start. Amos and Efete are able substitutes. We just need a couple of reinforcements here.

Midfield is trickier. I think Clifton, Holohan, Green, Hunt and Khouri are fine but we need a CM similar to Fox who can play as part of a 2 man midfield.

Very similar thoughts to myself across the board. I think anyone hoping that any of the contracted players are going to be released are setting themselves up for disappointment. This leaves barely any wiggle room in midfield which means Morris will probably be off and that the one player coming in for him needs to be a very good signing for us to see a marked improvement. I'd like to see someone with a bit more creativity than Fox but yep as you say someone that can operate in a two or a three and someone that also has a bit of bite...I realise that's a tall order but Morris is a good player in my opinion and if we're gambling on improving on him then we need to aim high. That signing isn't getting as much traction as the striker situation for obvious reasons but it's arguably of equal importance and if we get it wrong then we'll struggle to kick on. Essentially, I think the midfielder we sign needs to come in and be our best midfielder.

Completely agree on the defence, I think Glennon will be a key player next season and Amos is a perfectly capable backup option and should be given another deal. First choice right back and 1/2 CBs to push Waterfall and Maher needed.

Up top, I'd be happy for us to sign either Lloyd or McAtee but I don't want both purely because this is the area we need the biggest reset in and with Khan and Orsi already contracted then we won't really get that if they both sign. Cracking players but a bit too similar to both warrant places in the squad for me. However, I think this'll be a moot point eventually and neither will sign for us. I've mentioned Courtney Baker-Richardson a few times but have since been informed he's actually not out of contract so I'm officially withdrawing him as my entry into Ska Face's transfer league and I'm going back to the drawing board on that. What would be great is if we can land enough permanent signings to not have to rely on young Prem/Championship loanees up top as they have generally just been making up the numbers the past two seasons. The few that have looked capable of making an impact (Bapaga, Richardson, Bell) have had their loans cut short for varying reasons. Actually having six or seven legit options as opposed to four or five plus bench fodder would be a huge improvement to this season's squad. Again, I realise that's not a particularly reasonable expectation but we can dream.

In goal, retain Crocombe but bring someone in capable of immediately displacing him. A steady Eddie experienced L2 keeper wouldn't go amiss. Paul Farman is out of contract at Barrow and would do a job for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 87
diehardmariner
April 14, 2023, 2:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from waltham_mariner
Arjan Raikhy not been offered a new contract with Villa - one we could snap up as a free agent?

I think he's definitely someone who will have remained on Hurst's radar.  Looked decent enough when here, 2 months out injured and then Hurst showed no hesitation in including him in the final few games (play-offs included) despite a clear lack of match fitness.

Private Message
Reply: 65 - 87
Mappers
April 14, 2023, 2:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod

Very similar thoughts to myself across the board. I think anyone hoping that any of the contracted players are going to be released are setting themselves up for disappointment. This leaves barely any wiggle room in midfield which means Morris will probably be off and that the one player coming in for him needs to be a very good signing for us to see a marked improvement. I'd like to see someone with a bit more creativity than Fox but yep as you say someone that can operate in a two or a three and someone that also has a bit of bite...I realise that's a tall order but Morris is a good player in my opinion and if we're gambling on improving on him then we need to aim high. That signing isn't getting as much traction as the striker situation for obvious reasons but it's arguably of equal importance and if we get it wrong then we'll struggle to kick on. Essentially, I think the midfielder we sign needs to come in and be our best midfielder.

Completely agree on the defence, I think Glennon will be a key player next season and Amos is a perfectly capable backup option and should be given another deal. First choice right back and 1/2 CBs to push Waterfall and Maher needed.

Up top, I'd be happy for us to sign either Lloyd or McAtee but I don't want both purely because this is the area we need the biggest reset in and with Khan and Orsi already contracted then we won't really get that if they both sign. Cracking players but a bit too similar to both warrant places in the squad for me. However, I think this'll be a moot point eventually and neither will sign for us. I've mentioned Courtney Baker-Richardson a few times but have since been informed he's actually not out of contract so I'm officially withdrawing him as my entry into Ska Face's transfer league and I'm going back to the drawing board on that. What would be great is if we can land enough permanent signings to not have to rely on young Prem/Championship loanees up top as they have generally just been making up the numbers the past two seasons. The few that have looked capable of making an impact (Bapaga, Richardson, Bell) have had their loans cut short for varying reasons. Actually having six or seven legit options as opposed to four or five plus bench fodder would be a huge improvement to this season's squad. Again, I realise that's not a particularly reasonable expectation but we can dream.

In goal, retain Crocombe but bring someone in capable of immediately displacing him. A steady Eddie experienced L2 keeper wouldn't go amiss. Paul Farman is out of contract at Barrow and would do a job for me.

I get what you are saying but you at least need 1 if not 2 big lads for up top, in league 2 as we have seen some teams just load it ,then re-load some more and its a more aerial game -even Hurst has touched on the need for more physicality so I am assuming it will mean an introduction of larger players in a couple of positions .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 87
Son of Cod
April 14, 2023, 2:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

I get what you are saying but you at least need 1 if not 2 big lads for up top, in league 2 as we have seen some teams just load it ,then re-load some more and its a more aerial game -even Hurst has touched on the need for more physicality so I am assuming it will mean an introduction of larger players in a couple of positions .

I'm well up for one or two big lads mate, didn't mean to insinuate otherwise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 87
Madeleymariner
April 14, 2023, 2:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,065
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Son of Cod

I'm well up for one or two big lads mate, didn't mean to insinuate otherwise.

Keep your personal life to yourself
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 87
Mappers
April 14, 2023, 3:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod

I agree with everything else , your views are pretty much mine when i am in a balanced mode and not after some of the less able performances ,when i have thought complete rebuild and replace a fair few .

In reality could we get 10 better players say than what we KNOW we already have ? probably not ,at least we know what we are getting with all of them actually ,and even if we can question the quality level at times of some i think it's fair to say you could not wish for a more honest set of players - wholesale changes could lower morale/harmony among the squad ,which would/could be difficult to get back.

I actually would keep Morris ,he's our most technically competent midfielder and although not always great he is a good age and had a very good season in league one whwn Shrewsbury nearly went through ; it might sound strange but he looks like a player who needs a good pitch , I don't know if its coincidence but to me he has looked best on the better surfaces ,especially at the start of the season with the better weather .Like you say a Fox like player would be good as well, or potentially a more physical midfield player .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 87
Mappers
April 14, 2023, 3:36pm
Champagne Drinker
There does seem to be little between teams at league 2 level

The more i think about it , i don't think we are that far away  

Maybe if we can keep the majority  and add 3 or 4 of real quality we should do well , its more quality over quantity i would suggest .
I would take Lloyd , Orsi , Taylor (as 4th choice ) and AN other of good quality and physicality rather than a load of unpredictable kids . We hardly ever play 2 out and out strikers anyway so there is realistically 1 spot for 4 players then .

I wonder if Shaun will continue playing as back up alongside a coaching role , i got the impression his legs might have gone  in the interview with Hurst .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 87
Maringer
April 14, 2023, 3:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker

He was a relatively tall and athletic lad, I seem to recall? Given what Hurst has said about being able to physically compete, he would certainly fit the bill.

Of course, there is more likelihood that he'll end up somewhere a bit nearer Birmingham, but you never know.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 87
Mappers
April 14, 2023, 3:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

He was a relatively tall and athletic lad, I seem to recall? Given what Hurst has said about being able to physically compete, he would certainly fit the bill.

Of course, there is more likelihood that he'll end up somewhere a bit nearer Birmingham, but you never know.

I liked ,good on the ball and pretty athletic although not strong ; but he's only young - dare i say it even in summer i would have taken him over Hunt .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 87
RichMariner
April 14, 2023, 4:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Just looking at the sort of strikers and strike partnerships we've had down the years with Hurst in charge... he's always preferred a strong set of lads that cause defences issues:

11/12 - We had Elding as the big man, Hearn the goalscorer. Great partnership in a side that ironically came nowhere close to a play-off place. Rob Duffy and Damian Spencer weren't small lads either as back-up

12/13 - We signed Andy Cook as the big man, Hearn was crocked so we got Hannah on loan. Greg Pearson, Richard Brodie and then LJL joined in the January. Neither of them were small!

13/14 - Mainly LJL as the big man, Hannah as the goalscorer with Cook and Hearn (when fit) making an appearance. Alex Rodman, albeit not a striker, scored 7 that season.

14/15 - LJL as the big man, John-Paul Pittman also a nuisance for defenders. Hannah more a reserve and then we got Ollie Palmer on loan, another target man.

15/16 - Bogle & Amond all the way. Not so much big man/small man, just both goalscorers. We tended to use wide players like Monkhouse as a target man.

16/17 - Not our best summer, probably due to previous ownership. Bogle up top with Vernon, target man, with pace (Kayden Jackson) and technical ability (Dominic Vose) in support, Ashley Chambers out wide.

No doubt Hurst will have a shortlist of the target men he wants to recruit. A big bully up front, a Vardy-like pest alongside. This season's been odd because in every other season PH has been our manager, we've always had strikers hitting anywhere between 15-30 goals!

Let's hope it's a good summer and he manages to get someone who can hit those numbers next season.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 73 - 87
OddShapedBalls
April 14, 2023, 4:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 40
I agree with most that there isn't some major rebuild required, looking across our division despite the odd shocker of a game we could easily be in the playoffs this season if only we could knock a couple more of the hundreds of wasted chances in.

I think we need different types of players, not just better quality, for next season so there's a tool for every job,  My wish list (lottery win pending) would be  1 or 2 attacking players (strikers or wingers, or wing/forwards if you like) with genuine raw pace, a couple of much taller players, a couple of lads with far better technical/passing ability and a couple of dribblers/tricksters.  Oh, and the striker we all know is needed obviously.

We need a bit more height to level the playing field against some teams, but overall in L2 everyone is used to dealing with height.  What they fear is pace and attackers running at defenders and committing them.  The better passers are for when we need to retain possession more, accurate passing and distribution with less balls lost could have really opened up a few teams this year.

The club will do it's best to improve the squad this summer I'm sure, looking forward to the 300+pages of transfer rumours already!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 87
Maringer
April 14, 2023, 4:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
This season's been odd because in every other season PH has been our manager, we've always had strikers hitting anywhere between 15-30 goals!

Let's hope it's a good summer and he manages to get someone who can hit those numbers next season.

To be fair, most of his seasons have been in the Conference where it is a bit easier to score goals. With the best will in the world, you'd have to say that LJL is well past his best, but he's still scored a dozen in a struggling team.

20 players in the National League have scored a dozen or more so far this season. In comparison, only 9 in League two have a dozen or more.

I'm not overly concerned about having a target man who scores lots of goals - Steve Livingstone only managed to reach double figures once in his career, for example. The main thing is making sure enough of the other players chip in with plenty of goals. It was looking pretty decent in this regard earlier this season when Khan and Clifton were scoring, but the goals have really dried up since the turn of the year for everyone. Partially due to injuries, partially due to the distraction of the Cup run, partially due to tiredness.

I think Khan will have an important role to play next season, providing he can stay fit as he went through a spell tucking chances away nicely. If Clifton stays, will he continue to play in a role where he can nick some goals?

Lots of choices for Hurst to make for next season, but at least we've got more time to sort out some signings this time around.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 87
toontown
April 14, 2023, 7:46pm
Whiskey Drinker

My concern  is that he plays a similar role to Hunt, so is it a waste of a wage to have both.

Nothing against raihky, I like him, although he is a risk taking player. In all honesty I think raikhy is an upgrade on Hunt as he has more height and is a more physical, tackling player along with the forward through balls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 87
nightrider
April 14, 2023, 8:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Inih Effiong

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 87
ska face
April 14, 2023, 8:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,770
Gold Stars: 851
12 months left on his deal, far better out there than Effiong if you’re going to be spending money.
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 87
HertsGTFC
April 14, 2023, 8:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Nutsy

Given a proper off season, pre season and no op we’d jump at the chance of getting McAtee back.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 87
CSLM
April 14, 2023, 10:40pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
I find it incredible that anyone wouldn't want McAtee next season.
He hasn't hit the heights of last season and does make some questionable decisions on the ball but I think a lot of this is down to him trying too hard to prove himself.
Also I cannot understand it when I hear people say he isn't trying/bothered. His body language could be construed that way occasionally but he is still one of the most hardworking players out there in my opinion.
It is fustrating seeing him berate team mates but most of the time it is understandable. I do concede that on the odd occasion it is out of order though when his 40 yarder hasn't come off Haha.
To me his reactions to goals and wins show how much he enjoys it and actually/hopefully cares. Could say the same about Orsi to tbf.

The thing is how the hell are we going to get a better player than McAtee. We would need a miracle.
All this probably isn't an option but I think if we had any chance to have him another year we should do everything we can to make it so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 87
pontoonlew
April 15, 2023, 1:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from CSLM
I find it incredible that anyone wouldn't want McAtee next season.
He hasn't hit the heights of last season and does make some questionable decisions on the ball but I think a lot of this is down to him trying too hard to prove himself.
Also I cannot understand it when I hear people say he isn't trying/bothered. His body language could be construed that way occasionally but he is still one of the most hardworking players out there in my opinion.
It is fustrating seeing him berate team mates but most of the time it is understandable. I do concede that on the odd occasion it is out of order though when his 40 yarder hasn't come off Haha.
To me his reactions to goals and wins show how much he enjoys it and actually/hopefully cares. Could say the same about Orsi to tbf.

The thing is how the hell are we going to get a better player than McAtee. We would need a miracle.
All this probably isn't an option but I think if we had any chance to have him another year we should do everything we can to make it so.

He’s had a few poor games recently but the excrement he’s had on here & Twitter has been ridiculous and we’ll 100% look back wondering why on earth some people didn’t appreciate him this season.

I’m currently watching Barnet v Wrexham & one player we almost had recently in Harry Smith is demonstrating he’d be a massive upgrade on our current striking options.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 87
GtfcGarner
April 15, 2023, 1:37pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from pontoonlew

He’s had a few poor games recently but the excrement he’s had on here & Twitter has been ridiculous and we’ll 100% look back wondering why on earth some people didn’t appreciate him this season.

I’m currently watching Barnet v Wrexham & one player we almost had recently in Harry Smith is demonstrating he’d be a massive upgrade on our current striking options.

Yeah a big lump at 6'5. 5 in 8 at Barnet since arriving on loan. Looked good the first half, with Orient all but promoted I think it's the sort of player we will see Hurst go in for. Been notorious in his interviews saying we are desperate for height in the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 87
pontoonlew
April 15, 2023, 2:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Barnets right back the best on the pitch second half, some great balls and and a weapon of a throw!

Cropper they call him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 87
Limerick Mariner
April 15, 2023, 6:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,735
Gold Stars: 138
Rochdale are down. Anyone there we might want to pick up - didn’t a defender from Alty that we were interested in go there?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 87
Posh Harry
April 15, 2023, 8:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,371
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Rochdale are down. Anyone there we might want to pick up - didn’t a defender from Alty that we were interested in go there?

Sounds like a load of mularkey
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 87
HertsGTFC
April 15, 2023, 9:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker

No

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 87
Youngy
April 16, 2023, 5:22am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 9

He looked decent when Rochdale played here but feel location is the issue
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 87
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Upgrades

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.