rancido
April 13, 2023, 6:59pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from forza ivano
For christ sake.how many more times?? MANI DIDN'T WANT TO STAY HERE BECAUSE PH COULDNT GUARENTEE HIM A STARTING PLACE

Exactly. So why would PH change his opinion on Mani if he wants to build a promotion pushing team? If he couldn't guarantee him a starting place in a team that had just gained League 2 status then there is no way he would or could do the same for a potential League1 side.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 87
Nutsy
April 14, 2023, 11:12am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +158
Gold Stars: 5
I watched the highlights from the play-offs again, and so may have my rose-tinted spectacles on, but if the opportunity to have McAtee back again, I would want him.

I quite like, on paper, the idea of trying some iteration of Lloyd, Orsi, McAtee, Khan and Clifton. I appreciate this doesn't have a 'big man', but would certainly intimidate with a mixture of tenacity, flair and aggression.

Obviously, big strikers do cause problems (look at Hudlin for example).

For me, defence is fine - Glennon, Waterfall, Maher and Emmanuel are strong enough to start. Amos and Efete are able substitutes. We just need a couple of reinforcements here.

Midfield is trickier. I think Clifton, Holohan, Green, Hunt and Khouri are fine but we need a CM similar to Fox who can play as part of a 2 man midfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 87
waltham_mariner
April 14, 2023, 11:21am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +16
Arjan Raikhy not been offered a new contract with Villa - one we could snap up as a free agent?

I thought he was impressive in his short spell here last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 87
cannylad65
April 14, 2023, 12:20pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +77
Gold Stars: 7
I'm looking forward to reading the discussions for the January window.

No doubt all these thoughts will be repeated, just as they are every transfer window.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 87
Son of Cod
April 14, 2023, 1:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Nutsy
I watched the highlights from the play-offs again, and so may have my rose-tinted spectacles on, but if the opportunity to have McAtee back again, I would want him.

I quite like, on paper, the idea of trying some iteration of Lloyd, Orsi, McAtee, Khan and Clifton. I appreciate this doesn't have a 'big man', but would certainly intimidate with a mixture of tenacity, flair and aggression.

Obviously, big strikers do cause problems (look at Hudlin for example).

For me, defence is fine - Glennon, Waterfall, Maher and Emmanuel are strong enough to start. Amos and Efete are able substitutes. We just need a couple of reinforcements here.

Midfield is trickier. I think Clifton, Holohan, Green, Hunt and Khouri are fine but we need a CM similar to Fox who can play as part of a 2 man midfield.

Very similar thoughts to myself across the board. I think anyone hoping that any of the contracted players are going to be released are setting themselves up for disappointment. This leaves barely any wiggle room in midfield which means Morris will probably be off and that the one player coming in for him needs to be a very good signing for us to see a marked improvement. I'd like to see someone with a bit more creativity than Fox but yep as you say someone that can operate in a two or a three and someone that also has a bit of bite...I realise that's a tall order but Morris is a good player in my opinion and if we're gambling on improving on him then we need to aim high. That signing isn't getting as much traction as the striker situation for obvious reasons but it's arguably of equal importance and if we get it wrong then we'll struggle to kick on. Essentially, I think the midfielder we sign needs to come in and be our best midfielder.

Completely agree on the defence, I think Glennon will be a key player next season and Amos is a perfectly capable backup option and should be given another deal. First choice right back and 1/2 CBs to push Waterfall and Maher needed.

Up top, I'd be happy for us to sign either Lloyd or McAtee but I don't want both purely because this is the area we need the biggest reset in and with Khan and Orsi already contracted then we won't really get that if they both sign. Cracking players but a bit too similar to both warrant places in the squad for me. However, I think this'll be a moot point eventually and neither will sign for us. I've mentioned Courtney Baker-Richardson a few times but have since been informed he's actually not out of contract so I'm officially withdrawing him as my entry into Ska Face's transfer league and I'm going back to the drawing board on that. What would be great is if we can land enough permanent signings to not have to rely on young Prem/Championship loanees up top as they have generally just been making up the numbers the past two seasons. The few that have looked capable of making an impact (Bapaga, Richardson, Bell) have had their loans cut short for varying reasons. Actually having six or seven legit options as opposed to four or five plus bench fodder would be a huge improvement to this season's squad. Again, I realise that's not a particularly reasonable expectation but we can dream.

In goal, retain Crocombe but bring someone in capable of immediately displacing him. A steady Eddie experienced L2 keeper wouldn't go amiss. Paul Farman is out of contract at Barrow and would do a job for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 87
diehardmariner
April 14, 2023, 2:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,686
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from waltham_mariner
Arjan Raikhy not been offered a new contract with Villa - one we could snap up as a free agent?

I thought he was impressive in his short spell here last season.

I think he's definitely someone who will have remained on Hurst's radar.  Looked decent enough when here, 2 months out injured and then Hurst showed no hesitation in including him in the final few games (play-offs included) despite a clear lack of match fitness.

Private Message
Reply: 65 - 87
Mappers
April 14, 2023, 2:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,440
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Son of Cod

Very similar thoughts to myself across the board. I think anyone hoping that any of the contracted players are going to be released are setting themselves up for disappointment. This leaves barely any wiggle room in midfield which means Morris will probably be off and that the one player coming in for him needs to be a very good signing for us to see a marked improvement. I'd like to see someone with a bit more creativity than Fox but yep as you say someone that can operate in a two or a three and someone that also has a bit of bite...I realise that's a tall order but Morris is a good player in my opinion and if we're gambling on improving on him then we need to aim high. That signing isn't getting as much traction as the striker situation for obvious reasons but it's arguably of equal importance and if we get it wrong then we'll struggle to kick on. Essentially, I think the midfielder we sign needs to come in and be our best midfielder.

Completely agree on the defence, I think Glennon will be a key player next season and Amos is a perfectly capable backup option and should be given another deal. First choice right back and 1/2 CBs to push Waterfall and Maher needed.

Up top, I'd be happy for us to sign either Lloyd or McAtee but I don't want both purely because this is the area we need the biggest reset in and with Khan and Orsi already contracted then we won't really get that if they both sign. Cracking players but a bit too similar to both warrant places in the squad for me. However, I think this'll be a moot point eventually and neither will sign for us. I've mentioned Courtney Baker-Richardson a few times but have since been informed he's actually not out of contract so I'm officially withdrawing him as my entry into Ska Face's transfer league and I'm going back to the drawing board on that. What would be great is if we can land enough permanent signings to not have to rely on young Prem/Championship loanees up top as they have generally just been making up the numbers the past two seasons. The few that have looked capable of making an impact (Bapaga, Richardson, Bell) have had their loans cut short for varying reasons. Actually having six or seven legit options as opposed to four or five plus bench fodder would be a huge improvement to this season's squad. Again, I realise that's not a particularly reasonable expectation but we can dream.

In goal, retain Crocombe but bring someone in capable of immediately displacing him. A steady Eddie experienced L2 keeper wouldn't go amiss. Paul Farman is out of contract at Barrow and would do a job for me.

I get what you are saying but you at least need 1 if not 2 big lads for up top, in league 2 as we have seen some teams just load it ,then re-load some more and its a more aerial game -even Hurst has touched on the need for more physicality so I am assuming it will mean an introduction of larger players in a couple of positions .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 87
Son of Cod
April 14, 2023, 2:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Mappers

I get what you are saying but you at least need 1 if not 2 big lads for up top, in league 2 as we have seen some teams just load it ,then re-load some more and its a more aerial game -even Hurst has touched on the need for more physicality so I am assuming it will mean an introduction of larger players in a couple of positions .

I'm well up for one or two big lads mate, didn't mean to insinuate otherwise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 87
Madeleymariner
April 14, 2023, 2:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Son of Cod

I'm well up for one or two big lads mate, didn't mean to insinuate otherwise.

Keep your personal life to yourself
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 87
Mappers
April 14, 2023, 3:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,440
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Son of Cod

I agree with everything else , your views are pretty much mine when i am in a balanced mode and not after some of the less able performances ,when i have thought complete rebuild and replace a fair few .

In reality could we get 10 better players say than what we KNOW we already have ? probably not ,at least we know what we are getting with all of them actually ,and even if we can question the quality level at times of some i think it's fair to say you could not wish for a more honest set of players - wholesale changes could lower morale/harmony among the squad ,which would/could be difficult to get back.

I actually would keep Morris ,he's our most technically competent midfielder and although not always great he is a good age and had a very good season in league one whwn Shrewsbury nearly went through ; it might sound strange but he looks like a player who needs a good pitch , I don't know if its coincidence but to me he has looked best on the better surfaces ,especially at the start of the season with the better weather .Like you say a Fox like player would be good as well, or potentially a more physical midfield player .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Upgrades

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.