Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 106 Guests

Upgrades

This thread currently has 8,610 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
April 10, 2023, 1:33pm
Guest User
Quoted from toontown

That's a Bullshit sop fed to fans when they want a player to stay and a club doesn't want to try hard enough for him to stay - he wants first team football.

Do you honestly think Halifax have said to him he is guaranteed to be picked every week, of course not.

Basically Hurst was saying, politely, thanks but no thanks to mani. He admitted he was within a whisker of not having him on the bench against Notts and his other staff persuaded him. He was a player he never really fancied at NL level. He thought we could do better at league 2 level. He was wrong (dickson Peters, O'Neil, simmonds etc). Even orsi he has barely wanted to pay if he has a choice. The stuff about first team football - mani had done well for Hurst in that playoff campaign and Hurst is a decent guy, he doesn't want to say ' I don't think he's good enough' so it suits both parties to put that Spin on it.

So your source is?

Reply: 20 - 87
lew chaterleys lover
April 10, 2023, 1:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,755
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from 123614

So your source is?

I don't suppose he needs a "source" if it is an opinion.

That's what forums are for - sharing an opinion, a guess, a preference, a comment on our football club.

If we needed a "source" for everything we say on here they wouldn't be a bloody forum would there?
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 87
toontown
April 10, 2023, 2:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,274
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from 123614

So your source is?

If you are referring to the bit about Hurst being close to not putting mani on the bench itvwas his own post match interview where he admitted as such.

The interviewer asked if it was a difficult decision not to start his and he, being a very honest manager, said no it was easy. But then said it was a difficult decision as to whether he should be on the bench, other staff and a feeling we might need a goal had tipped him from no he shouldn't to yes he should is about the size of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 87
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 10, 2023, 2:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but we`d have got more out of Mani and/or Abrams than we have out of Orsi this season.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 87
April 11, 2023, 8:47am
Guest User

That's what forums are for - sharing an opinion, a guess, a preference, a comment on our football club.

If we needed a "source" for everything we say on here they wouldn't be a bloody forum would there?

The first two paragraphs are NOT opinions.

Reply: 24 - 87
chaos33
April 11, 2023, 8:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,998
Gold Stars: 362

Depends how you phrase you opinion doesn’t it.
For instance, if you use a phrase like ‘it’s clear that’ or It’s obvious’, like you did in your ‘opinion’ on how we conduct transfer processes, you conflate facts with opinions. It’s not difficult is it.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 87
grassbandits
April 11, 2023, 9:00am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +123
Gold Stars: 5
Appreciate this likely isn't the most exciting news and he's out injured for the rest of this season but 100% deal done for Vernam return in the summer..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 87
bradzmilne
April 11, 2023, 9:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 30
Mani wasn’t of quality, that’s the bottom line.

He scored some goals I’ll be eternally grateful for and should never had to buy a drink in Cleethorpes ever again. However, due to the goals - I think we view him with somewhat rose tinted glasses.

On the whole he was poor & if we set the bar at Mani’s level at the end of last season (sentiment aside) we wouldn’t have been best pleased.

Why we didn’t push the boat out and buy an even semi-recognised striker, I honestly don’t know. Equally though, that also doesn’t mean Mani was necessarily the answer.

We have to look forward now, who can we bring in? A couple of early names to throw in the hat:

Luke Armstrong from Harrogate. Would require a decent fee but the first time I saw him, I instantly thought he was a PH striker. Scored goals in a struggling Harrogate team. If we could somehow secure a Lloyd & Armstrong partnership up front next year….  

Toto Nsiala - out of contact. Tried and trusted by Hursty. I’m not a huge fan of resigning ex players, however he’d ease our prospective centre half worries & will still have plenty in the tank.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 87
Mayaman
April 11, 2023, 9:45am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from MuddyWaters

May be an unpopular opinion but I think we’ll be better off without McAtee and the distraction he brings. He clearly needs to get his head around being a team player and, only on a couple of occasions since his return, have his individual skills reaped a reward.

Yeah.   He's busy berating players for lack of a quality ball, but his control against Donny was shocking.   The layback for Harry made it hard for Clifton to get a good shot in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 87
fishboyUTM
April 11, 2023, 10:08am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from grassbandits
Appreciate this likely isn't the most exciting news and he's out injured for the rest of this season but 100% deal done for Vernam return in the summer..

It's exciting for me. A fantastic player who will solve the problem left wing side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Upgrades

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.