9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
April 12, 2023, 9:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,693
Gold Stars: 540
There's very little, not anything I can find anyway, on the length of contract Vernam signed with Lincoln last summer.

If he is out of contract, I will be absolutely amazed if he's offered another contract there and he doesn't end up back here.

By all accounts Hurst really wants him and has found himself caught waiting on more than one occasion for him.  Vernam himself was very keen to make the move in January but it was blocked due to Kennedy not getting the players through the door at Sincil Bank that he wanted.

Completely understand why people are turned off by returning players, but ignoring his previous history here and he's quite clearly an upgrade on what we already have in the building.  I mean really we've only got one winger in the squad as it is so it's not difficult, but he is a very good player at this level.  I think we would do well to find better.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 87
Mappers
April 12, 2023, 10:04am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,447
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from 123614

Is this a fact, or just some more speculation?

Its not fact unless he's already signed

Look at Ryan Bennett wasn't that all but a done deal ?

They are never signed until their signed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 87
forza ivano
April 12, 2023, 10:23am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
I'll throw in a couple of the youngsters from Scunny as possibilities - Shrimpton n Gallimore. not saying it's going to happen, but they're on the radar apparently
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 87
Mariner_09
April 12, 2023, 12:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from forza ivano
I'll throw in a couple of the youngsters from Scunny as possibilities - Shrimpton n Gallimore. not saying it's going to happen, but they're on the radar apparently

I'm not sure what I make to becoming like vultures over Scunny's academy. On the one hand, it is what it is, waiting for the patient to snuff it and then immediately and coldly pouncing. On the other, I love it. They pinched our best players for years, it's pay back time lads.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 87
Poojah
April 12, 2023, 1:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,741
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from Mariner_09

I'm not sure what I make to becoming like vultures over Scunny's academy. On the one hand, it is what it is, waiting for the patient to snuff it and then immediately and coldly pouncing. On the other, I love it. They pinched our best players for years, it's pay back time lads.

This image still haunts me.

[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Martin_Paterson_%28cropped%29.jpg[/img]

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 87
pontoonlew
April 12, 2023, 1:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
It amazes me that people think a player who’s scored 12 goals in the league below (with 3 coming in the past 2 games) would’ve been the answer to our striking woes.

Perhaps it shows how poor our options up top are, but I’m convinced Mani would’ve been just as bad as the rest of them have been.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 87
diehardmariner
April 12, 2023, 1:27pm
Vodka Drinker
I don't think anyone believes he would have solved all the problems we have up there.

But it's about that supposed incremental improvement to me.  If Mani was our back-up striker at this point last year, have we honestly improved on him as the alternative?

We've had Pepple, Simmonds, Richardson, Dickson-Peters, Orsi and probably someone else who's proved to be even less memorable.  Orsi's the one who I think deserves an extended chance but largely I don't think any of those looked or have proven to be any better as an alternative to Mani.   I'm not really offering that up as a compliment either.

At various points this season we've looked lackluster up top but with nothing on the bench that really changes things.

It's quite damning that we've failed to upgrade on what we had as first choice and have most certainly downgraded on what our alternative options are, especially when Mani has (as you pointed out) done relatively little in the league we were in last season and Tristan Abrahams did even less, before bizarrely getting a move to Gillingham.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 87
diehardmariner
April 12, 2023, 1:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

There's definitely legs in Shrimpton, not so sure about Gallimore.  

The other one we're supposed to be interested in is Cameron Wilson.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 87
Mappers
April 12, 2023, 6:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,447
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from pontoonlew
It amazes me that people think a player who’s scored 12 goals in the league below (with 3 coming in the past 2 games) would’ve been the answer to our striking woes.

Perhaps it shows how poor our options up top are, but I’m convinced Mani would’ve been just as bad as the rest of them have been.

It does show how poor options are up top

But Mani might reach 15 goals in an average Halifax side ,which i would argue is a decent achievement .

These types -Mani ,Akpo Pako , Akinfenwa are not great starters or players by any means but as impact players off the bench can cause mayhem ,without too much time to think .

IF we can't sign a couple that are better , i would even say i would push the boat out and try and get Mani back ; we have not had a striker anywhere near that goal tally this season ,and he adds that option when chasing a game to go 3 or 4 up top and cause carnage (especially with the Cropper dart ).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 87
forza ivano
April 12, 2023, 8:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
For christ sake.how many more times?? MANI DIDN'T WANT TO STAY HERE BECAUSE PH COULDNT GUARENTEE HIM A STARTING PLACE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Upgrades

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.