9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
April 10, 2023, 8:27am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
PH was honest to Mani, which I respect and agree he wouldn't be a starter in league 2. Mani said he wants to play regular football. He joined Halifax. PH wanted Mani to stay as a squad player, its a shame Mani left but I respect him for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 87
TwoLeftFeet
April 10, 2023, 8:39am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Hurst thought he could sign better.. he didn't
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 87
RichMariner
April 10, 2023, 10:08am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,161
Gold Stars: 211
As others have said, Mani wanted first team football. I was impressed with the way he made the ball stick up front during his loan spell, typically off the bench. Grabbed a few crucial goals too (v Woking, Notts Co & Wrexham).

Hindsight again (isn’t it great?!) but I think he’d have been more useful to us this season instead of Taylor.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 12 - 87
HertsGTFC
April 10, 2023, 10:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from RichMariner
As others have said, Mani wanted first team football. I was impressed with the way he made the ball stick up front during his loan spell, typically off the bench. Grabbed a few crucial goals too (v Woking, Notts Co & Wrexham).

Hindsight again (isn’t it great?!) but I think he’d have been more useful to us this season instead of Taylor.

I thought his first touch was pony in the several games I watched him play but he did create an impact with important goals and when brought on he seemed to add something different.

Every player wants first team football every week, you’d worry if they didn’t. At least Hurst was honest with him at the time which allowed the lad to get another club which in itself is a challenge for a NL level player.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 87
jamesgtfc
April 10, 2023, 10:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Sometimes you have to go as second choice and back yourself to take the opportunity when it arises like Max did. The way this season has gone, Mani would have had plenty of opportunities.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 87
lew chaterleys lover
April 10, 2023, 10:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,755
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Mappers

I can't imagine we tried very hard to keep him ,as it transpired he would have actually got more minutes than expected.

I think on Mani and Sousa with hindsight Hurst would have have kept them both , both inconsistent but useful and could provide a point of difference to what we have ; Sousa can actually carry the ball ,I am not sure now if we have anyone that can really .

I think its more down to the fact we could not for whatever reason attract better quality of player than we did (i am assuming to Hurst's suprise ) that we are even debating that they have been missed in some way  .

It has to be rectified this summer , we need an Andy Smith or Connor Townsend rather than 7-8 squad players to make up the numbers . Then upgrades throughout the side and on the bench .

It still makes me nervous , although i am a PH fan that he is too stubborn in his ways and wont lose 'his shape ' with the budget in the summer and we will  just see a small incremental improvement within  the squad .

Hope i am wrong

Time will tell

That's my worry about Hurst as well. Interestingly he said the other day he thinks a lot of players get paid too much. Maybe they do but that is not the mindset for transfer negotiations!

We have to accept the reality or it will be difficult to make progress.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 87
Bigdog
April 10, 2023, 12:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Green & Maher were signed from a club that’s been stuck in the NL for ages and failed again in last years play off’s sometimes it shows.

Don’t get why people thought Richardson was great when he was just the best of several undeveloped attacking loanees. Kiernan? We’ve missed his honestly & application since he left & McAtee came back in as a starter.

Orsi, hard to judge him in the league as Hurst hasn’t given him a chance despite Taylor’s frequent absences, but I sense he’s a squad player at best.

Glennon, would be better utilised if we could pass the ball to the left.

Khan, we know he’s decent, we just need him to stay injury free for a few months.

The rest? Meh….

I'd have Richardson back in a heartbeat, but only as a permanent signing, create some certainty in his career. Saw enough in him before his injury to see that he could mature into a very capable and effective attacking threat in L1 or L2. A bit like Sam Bell, who's now starting and scoring at Bristol City. Agree about Kiernan's honesty and workrate, and even more so his pace. We haven't really replaced that..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 87
mimma
April 10, 2023, 12:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
This season's team still has players signed for non league football. We are now in a different position having some money to spend thanks to the cup run. Hurst won't waste it he will be looking hard at what is available and how much.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 87
MuddyWaters
April 10, 2023, 12:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from mimma
This season's team still has players signed for non league football. We are now in a different position having some money to spend thanks to the cup run. Hurst won't waste it he will be looking hard at what is available and how much.

May be an unpopular opinion but I think we’ll be better off without McAtee and the distraction he brings. He clearly needs to get his head around being a team player and, only on a couple of occasions since his return, have his individual skills reaped a reward.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 87
toontown
April 10, 2023, 1:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,274
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Posh Harry

It’s been stated before, mani wanted first team football, hurst made it clear, rightly, that he would not be first choice, and so no discussions ever happened about a contract

That's a Bullshit sop fed to fans when they want a player to stay and a club doesn't want to try hard enough for him to stay - he wants first team football.

Do you honestly think Halifax have said to him he is guaranteed to be picked every week, of course not.

Basically Hurst was saying, politely, thanks but no thanks to mani. He admitted he was within a whisker of not having him on the bench against Notts and his other staff persuaded him. He was a player he never really fancied at NL level. He thought we could do better at league 2 level. He was wrong (dickson Peters, O'Neil, simmonds etc). Even orsi he has barely wanted to pay if he has a choice. The stuff about first team football - mani had done well for Hurst in that playoff campaign and Hurst is a decent guy, he doesn't want to say ' I don't think he's good enough' so it suits both parties to put that Spin on it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Upgrades

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.