Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham spending again !
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 132 Guests

Wrexham spending again !

This thread currently has 9,695 views. Print
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Epworth Mariner
March 23, 2023, 11:16am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +646
Gold Stars: 57
Mullin gets a bad knee and they go and sign Billy Waters from Barrow…..

It’s like a football manager game…..
Logged Online
Private Message
ska face
March 23, 2023, 11:19am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
If that’s annoying, I would recommend avoiding any Wrexham-related news this morning…
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 86
jamesgtfc
March 23, 2023, 11:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,964
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Epworth Mariner

Their keeper picks up an injury so they go and get Ben Foster out of retirement.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 86
diehardmariner
March 23, 2023, 11:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 539
The whole Wrexham thing leaves me torn.

Their fans were magnificent after we beat them in the play-offs.  To raise money for our fans to go to the final, after we dumped them out a few days before is simply a class act.  For them, I just want them to feel some success.  They deserve it.

But this buy, buy, buy approach just makes me want them to intercourse the title race up and then fold in the play-offs again.

County and Chesterfield are both much easier away days too...
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 86
mimma
March 23, 2023, 11:33am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
If I won £100 million on the lottery and gave a large wad to GTFC, the boot would be on the other foot. Would you complain when started to slash the cash? No, so good luck to them and maybe our time will come someday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 86
HertsGTFC
March 23, 2023, 11:38am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,949
Gold Stars: 228
There will come a time soon when their players look at the manager and think who the f**k is this idiot he's well below what we're used to dealing with, I hope

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 86
marinerjase
March 23, 2023, 11:41am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,655
Gold Stars: 147
Don’t see the issue myself..they’re fortunate in having the money to be able to pay ridiculous salaries, sign whoever - there’s no window, owners are investing in club and community in a big way - I’d imagine the marketing revenue/streams are incredible. From a player’s perspective- if you’re offered 2/3 times what you’re used to - going to take it aren’t you? Be daft not too ..short career.

Buying their way through the leagues? Yes..definitely..but so what? Been done before..will be again.

Only ‘issue’ is if owners walk away and club left in jeopardy.. but in all honesty I don’t see that occurring..owners seem invested in club, community and I’d like to think plans in place for continuity should they take a back seat in future. Honestly don’t see them sh**ting on the club.

As for EFL rules on income/expenditure, %salary etc ..there’s ways around, loopholes to exploit. Others do.

Look forward to beating them next year again mind..😉

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 86
PoutonStepover
March 23, 2023, 11:42am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +107
Gold Stars: 8
What a signing Foster is, played 23 games in the Prem last season. No more 4-5’s for Wrexham
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 86
diehardmariner
March 23, 2023, 11:43am
Vodka Drinker
It's so easy to say this when it isn't reality, but I don't think I'd want that for GTFC.  Our successes feel so special because we so often don't even have a pot to urine in.  They're a result of sheer effort, graft and having to do something a bit different.  I'm not suggesting Wrexham aren't working hard etc.  but it's not like Phil Parkinson is doing something innovative there to give them a competitive edge is it?  He's hardly gone out and scouted up and coming talent that everyone else has somehow missed.

The play-off success last season was so incredible because it all just timed so perfectly.  Be it by accident or design Hurst's plan came together in terms of the right players coming in (and into form) and definitely the way the fitness of the players peaked when it really, really mattered.  If Wrexham go up this year, Parkinson can look back and say 'yeah, I looked at the leagues above and paid over the odds for the best players'.  intercourse, I could do that!

Also, if I won £100million I wouldn't touch a football club with a barge pole.  
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 86
ska face
March 23, 2023, 11:43am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
The whole Wrexham thing leaves me torn.

Their fans were magnificent after we beat them in the play-offs.  To raise money for our fans to go to the final, after we dumped them out a few days before is simply a class act.  For them, I just want them to feel some success.  They deserve it.

But this buy, buy, buy approach just makes me want them to intercourse the title race up and then fold in the play-offs again.

County and Chesterfield are both much easier away days too...

For every decent fan of theirs, they seem to have picked up two or three absolute helmets. I think at the start there seemed to be an element of embarrassment and acknowledgement that signing people like Tozer, Lee and Mullin wasn’t necessarily how things were done at that level, but they’d had a bad time and were due a decent shake of the stick. Hard to argue with that.

This season though, the whole facade has completely disappeared and you see a lot of their fans just leaning into it, especially on Twitter, and actively goading other fans. Dunno, maybe it’s overcompensating because they realise they’re quite clearly the villains in the story and nobody buys the bullshít outside of a TV studio?
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 86
diehardmariner
March 23, 2023, 11:47am
Vodka Drinker
Yeah, I've noticed that to be honest.  I previously put it down to the 'new' fans, often from Wisconsin or somewhere with no real link to Wrexham other than they own Van Wilder on VHS.  But the smugness seems to have spread to a lot more.

I can't lie, the whole media love-in annoys me (probably more than it should do).  Same with how it is/was with Salford.  Football needs cartoon villains I guess.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 86
Les Brechin
March 23, 2023, 11:49am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
One of Notts County or Wrexham could well become (well I would think so) the first team to get over 100 points in a season and NOT get promoted!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 86
Maringer
March 23, 2023, 11:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,529
Gold Stars: 185
The BBC report mentions that Foster announced his retirement from playing in September 2022. Perhaps he's really let himself go to seed over the past 6 months and now has the build of Neville Southall? Actually, Southall would probably still be a really good keeper, even now!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 86
ska face
March 23, 2023, 12:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Seen a few of their fans mention it’s a great signing because he’s got a million YouTube subscribers or something.

Think I’d jack the whole lot in and take up gardening/solvent abuse if I ever started worrying about that when we signed a player.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 86
mariner91
March 23, 2023, 12:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,654
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from ska face
Seen a few of their fans mention it’s a great signing because he’s got a million YouTube subscribers or something.

Think I’d jack the whole lot in and take up gardening/solvent abuse if I ever started worrying about that when we signed a player.

Nowt wrong with gardening.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 86
TownSNAFU5
March 23, 2023, 12:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
I would prefer Wrexham to go up for a number of reasons:  class    fans; owners very supportive and complimentary of Town, the cup run and fans;  and they have served their penance in NL.  Is it 18 seasons?.  For added reasons, they got 98 points and still did no go up.

York City are taking over 1,000 fans to Wrexham this weekend.  Hollywood have gone out of their way (twice) to praise York City and the large number of fans travelling.  

I have nothing against Notts County bar the terrible selfish decision to severely limit Town tickets for the playoffs.  My how that backfired!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 86
MarinerMal
March 23, 2023, 12:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +782
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Epworth Mariner

What is your issue with this?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 86
DB
March 23, 2023, 12:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
The only issue I have is what happens when the bubble bursts, as it surely will probably later rather than sooner. It will be the case that money from Netflix will dry up when the adverting revenue goes because the viewing figures drop , then will the Yanks want to keep funding their hobby?

It's not a matter of envy or jealousy but having seen other clubs virtually go to the wall, not pay debts to small businesses that supplied them and then being bought out of bankruptcy for coppers. It is the small people and hardcore fans who will suffer.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 86
Youngy
March 23, 2023, 1:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,663
Gold Stars: 9
As mentioned above, I have a lot of time for Wrexham supporters. When we played them in the  Trophy final, our hotel was full of them and they were great fun. Proper supporters who like us, have suffered massively over the years.

What I can't stand is the 'underdog' narrative since Hollywood took over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 86
OddShapedBalls
March 23, 2023, 1:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
It's just a double-or-bust situation isn't it?  You can't commit all those dollars to 2 promotion campaigns and risk dropping into the playoff lottery again and face a third year of it .   In their situation I'd throw the kitchen sink at finishing top, promotion is required I imagine at this stage or the wheels come off in terms of a 3rd/4th disney series and the ongoing story.  They obviously studied the bottle job of last year and have learned from it (although not learned enough to get rid of shoutyman in the dugout).

I hope they get promoted, gives us 2 games next season where we are guaranteed worldwide media exposure without having to reach round 6 of the cup.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 86
Gaffer58
March 23, 2023, 1:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
With Mullens out they won’t be getting many more penalties this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 86
OddShapedBalls
March 23, 2023, 2:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Gaffer58
With Mullens out they won’t be getting many more penalties this season.

Tom Daly is free.......

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 86
HertsGTFC
March 23, 2023, 2:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
The BBC report mentions that Foster announced his retirement from playing in September 2022. Perhaps he's really let himself go to seed over the past 6 months and now has the build of Neville Southall? Actually, Southall would probably still be a really good keeper, even now!

I listened to an interview with him recently and he talked about what he's been doing, by the sounds of it he's fitter now than when he was playing.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 86
golfer
March 23, 2023, 2:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,441
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from mimma
If I won £100 million on the lottery and gave a large wad to GTFC, the boot would be on the other foot. Would you complain when started to slash the cash? No, so good luck to them and maybe our time will come someday.

If I put a large wad into the club I would want to build a new ground opposite my factory, or just down the road from where i live,+ get on the council where I could make things happen, but I would make sure I didn't associate with dodgy characters. I also wouldn't want to be a twatt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 86
jamesgtfc
March 23, 2023, 3:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,964
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from golfer

If I put a large wad into the club I would want to build a new ground opposite my factory, or just down the road from where i live,+ get on the council where I could make things happen, but I would make sure I didn't associate with dodgy characters. I also wouldn't want to be a twatt

Would you buy a pool table and invite Liam round to film an interview?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 86
HertsGTFC
March 23, 2023, 3:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
So in reality with Wrexham I think their support is excellent and deserve some success especially with their response to supporting Town fans in getting to the POF, class that.

The owners appear good people and were very complimentary of Town especially after we beat Southampton. I actually think whet they're doing in term of "the project" (hate that term) feels like it's to the benefit of the club and community.

The things that get me is the narrative that their media and the general media have about them being plucky underdogs, this is bollox as in reality they've thrown money at it. Also the individuals get up my nose, well two in particular "put them to the sword" Parkinson the manager who is a throw back in footballing terms and this cheat .....

https://twitter.com/jordanwebber96/status/1638585141311283202?s=21&t=2lXAjF9_vGhdiDM3GDjgDg

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 86
diehardmariner
March 23, 2023, 3:55pm
Vodka Drinker
In a rare defence of Mullin, a lot of people from Liverpool don't class themselves as English.  Partly stemming back to previous Government treatments of them over various issues including Hillsborough and striking Dockers.  

They're incredibly disassociated with England as as whole, with real resentment towards the Government and the South-East bias. To be honest I can't blame them either.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 86
fishcake63
March 23, 2023, 4:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Mullin whether he english welsh scottish irish spanish is a classless cheat got no time at all for him , 80% of his pens are through cheating , the lad at notts now he's a player , boils my pi--mullin sorry rant over
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 86
barralad
March 23, 2023, 4:11pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Forty years ago we were going toe to toe with Wrexham in what is now the Championship. They reached a European Cup quarter-final and later as a lower league club beat Arsenal in the F.A. Cup. There will be Wrexham fans whose experience broadly matches that of any Town fan over 50. Their decline was very near terminal -only averted when fans put their hands in their pockets on a deadline day to raise the necessary funds to keep the club going. They have been in non-league for twice the time we have. If I was one of the aforementioned fans I'd be absolutely loving what is going on now. Yes their success will have attracted hangers on but it will also have fired up new generations of Wrexham folk who will be the life blood of the club when my generation are long gone. GTFC have attracted positive feedback from this years Cup run. This has beneficially affected our area because the club are intrinsically linked with the area. The American involvement in Wrexham has been massively beneficial to the town and area-an area that has been on a downward spiral for the last few decades. If the "reign" of Messrs Stockwood and Pettit (even without the seemingly endless flow of money) gets anywhere near that effect across the board then I'll be utterly delighted.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 86
TownSNAFU5
March 23, 2023, 4:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Just because any player frequently dives for penalties, does not mean that all the refs have to award the pens!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 86
It Bites
March 23, 2023, 5:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,203
Gold Stars: 265
We'd all have mullin in a heartbeat. Good luck to Wrexham I say
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 86
lukeo
March 23, 2023, 5:20pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from Youngy
As mentioned above, I have a lot of time for Wrexham supporters. When we played them in the  Trophy final, our hotel was full of them and they were great fun. Proper supporters who like us, have suffered massively over the years.

What I can't stand is the 'underdog' narrative since Hollywood took over.

100% agree.
In truth I never knew much about the owners until they became involved in Wrexham (I live a sheltered life!) But from what I've seen so far in the documentary they seem like decent blokes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 86
scrumble
March 23, 2023, 5:47pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
I don't know if I'm missing something obvious, but how have they signed Billy Waters outside of the transfer window?

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 86
Northbank Mariner
March 23, 2023, 6:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,470
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from scrumble
I don't know if I'm missing something obvious, but how have they signed Billy Waters outside of the transfer window?

National league don't have a window, think up until 31st March its a free for all, please somebody correct of my facts wrong .mm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 86
Rodley Mariner
March 23, 2023, 6:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Worth bearing in mind that Notts County are hardly operating on a shoestring despite their fans bleating on Twitter. Wrexham are generating loads of additional interest and income and the owners are investing money into infrastructure and the ground. Not sure what there is to begrudge really other than the media going overboard and that's not really their fault.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 86
Spurn boy
March 23, 2023, 6:15pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,239
Gold Stars: 29
After many years in the wilderness we have become a football club that has has attracted media attention through our cup run and also through our new owners, ok so the American duo that have taken on the task of restoring Wrexham to the position they were many years ago does rub people up the wrong way but as long as it doesn’t affect GTFC what’s the problem?

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 86
ginnywings
March 23, 2023, 7:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Can't see the problem myself. They are just the latest in a long line of clubs who have tried to buy their way to the top.

They are no different to Bournemouth, who were bankrolled by a Russian billionaire up to the Prem and recently bought out by an American consortium who have a Hollywood A-lister among them.

Then there is Brentford, who did it a bit differently, and of course Brighton, who again were given massive amounts of cash by Tony Bloom, who made his fortune betting on sports events.

There is more and more Qatari and Saudi money coming into the game, so a light hearted Hollywood actor and his mate are down the list of owners to dislike in my book.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 86
HerveJosse
March 23, 2023, 8:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Some perspective please Billy Waters is no Mullen. I goal in 5 career record and currently out the side at Barrow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 86
golfer
March 23, 2023, 8:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,441
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from diehardmariner
In a rare defence of Mullin, a lot of people from Liverpool don't class themselves as English.  Partly stemming back to previous Government treatments of them over various issues including Hillsborough and striking Dockers.  

They're incredibly disassociated with England as as whole, with real resentment towards the Government and the South-East bias. To be honest I can't blame them either.

Also they don't speak English.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 86
Mappers
March 23, 2023, 8:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,325
Gold Stars: 118
Whats the aim for Wrexham with the Yanks at the wheel ?

To go right through to the Prem ?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 86
Bristol Mariner
March 23, 2023, 9:05pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from DB
The only issue I have is what happens when the bubble bursts, as it surely will probably later rather than sooner. It will be the case that money from Netflix will dry up when the adverting revenue goes because the viewing figures drop , then will the Yanks want to keep funding their hobby?

It's not a matter of envy or jealousy but having seen other clubs virtually go to the wall, not pay debts to small businesses that supplied them and then being bought out of bankruptcy for coppers. It is the small people and hardcore fans who will suffer.

they'll be in Div 1 in couple seasons

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 86
RonMariner
March 23, 2023, 10:21pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,717
Gold Stars: 226
The owners had no prior link to Wrexham. They could have bought any club.

Imagine how we would feel if they had bought Scunthorpe! On the other hand what would we be saying if they had bought us?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 86
GY1
March 23, 2023, 11:01pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +133
Gold Stars: 1
unfortunately, there will probably be more spending by Wrexham, with their owner having just sold his mobile phone company (Mint Mobile) for 1.3 billion dollars!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 86
Maringer
March 23, 2023, 11:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
He only owns 25% of Mint, I believe. Just a few hundred million dollars more in his pocket, not more than a billion.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 86
Norseman
March 24, 2023, 12:15am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from ska face

For every decent fan of theirs, they seem to have picked up two or three absolute helmets. I think at the start there seemed to be an element of embarrassment and acknowledgement that signing people like Tozer, Lee and Mullin wasn’t necessarily how things were done at that level, but they’d had a bad time and were due a decent shake of the stick. Hard to argue with that.

This season though, the whole facade has completely disappeared and you see a lot of their fans just leaning into it, especially on Twitter, and actively goading other fans. Dunno, maybe it’s overcompensating because they realise they’re quite clearly the villains in the story and nobody buys the bullshít outside of a TV studio?

Yeah most of them in the States
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 86
aldi_01
March 24, 2023, 6:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
This whole ‘their fans are great’ thing is wearing a bit thin. Throughout that awful series there were some oddballs, and granted, every club has them but because a few slung some coppers in a bucket for our fans to get there, suddenly they’re a great bunch.

What about the boring girl private who’s such a Wrexham fan he watched extra time from a pub, probably because the TV people asked him?

They’ve certainly had an increase in bellends watching them to be honest, this whole yanks getting involved thing seems a bit tragic and false.

I fully agree that playing teams like Wrexham, Notts County, chesterfield etc is more exciting than playing Crawley or Stevenage but this whole facade of community club and what not is drifting away from Wrexham and it’s all becoming a bit football manager. And still, they persevere with Parkinson. An absolute flipping dinosaur and bellsniff of the highest order.

No doubt they’ll come up and just spaff cash like it’s going out of fashion, if their fans want to do that then crack on. I much prefer our model, I’d much prefer to follow a similar path to Luton or Lincoln for instance.

Weird really isn’t it, a club that not that long ago was on its bottom, on its bottom through mismanagement and likely overspend. A club who’s trust and fans were vocal about the way football is operated and no doubt critics of wealthy foreign investors with no allegiance to a club coming over here and just getting cash happy, and yet here they are…

Remember though, two games they had last year 2 that they needed to win…they lost them both…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 86
Zero_as_a_limit
March 24, 2023, 6:37am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +109
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Mappers
Whats the aim for Wrexham with the Yanks at the wheel ?

To go right through to the Prem ?

Basically yes. Looking at some of the 50 clubs who have played a season or more in the Premier League it is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Were I a Wrexham fan my concern would be that the owners are as focussed on coming up with 'plotlines' for the documentary (i.e. planning around the new stand, the King visiting the ground, the hullaballoo around their FA Cup run, the Kings of Leon gig etc) as they are on the football side - particularly if Foster is going to be the first of several 'big name' ex-premier league players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 86
March 24, 2023, 6:54am
Guest User
Can't say I'm too fussed about what Wrexham do, if I'm honest.

They're clearly favourites to join us in L2 next season. If they follow their NL strategy, they'll sign a couple of Championship
strikers, a defensive kingpin, and probably a class midfielder too (as a minimum).

They may walk this league with 100+ points...but so what?
That still leaves 2 automatic promotion spots and 4 play-off places for us to aim for.
And taking points off "moneybags" teams is always doubly sweet for us Town fans.

Yeah, it would be handy to have their cash - but I like the fact our owners are local people, and I'd have our manager rather
than theirs anyday.

Looking forward to next season irrespective of events at the Racecouse Ground.
Reply: 47 - 86
Son of Cod
March 24, 2023, 8:51am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from aldi_01
This whole ‘their fans are great’ thing is wearing a bit thin. Throughout that awful series there were some oddballs, and granted, every club has them but because a few slung some coppers in a bucket for our fans to get there, suddenly they’re a great bunch.

Wasn't just that though, for me it was the whole day of the playoff semi. I walked away from The Racecourse after the match wearing Town colours and I lost count of the amount of people who shook my hand and wished us well for next season on the walk to the pub. In a ten minute walk it was easily over twenty though, perhaps even thirty. Then the same again in the pub, which was full of Wrexham fans. We were told before we were not to go in this pub or that pub or you'll get in trouble. Pre-match I went in two of the pubs that were supposedly no go options and the fans were absolutely fine in there. Chatty fans on the train that just wanted to talk about footy too.

I'm not fussed who they sign or whatever they spend, in fact I quite like the circus that goes with it all. The same as someone above though, my problems are with Mullin and Parkinson. My only other criticism of them would be that Ryan Reynolds seems to be somewhat of a disruptive influence. There were a number of times that his presence and his social media promotion got in the way of the first team squad's preparation going off the documentary. One in particular, he showed up as a surprise and they had to abandon their entire day of training and it was at the crunch end of the season too. If I was a Wrexham fan I'd be a bit concerned about that.

The amount of threads and time on here spent discussing them is a bit weird.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 86
March 24, 2023, 9:13am
Guest User
It'll be interesting to see how they do when they get promoted, and Parkinson actually has to plan for the season given they're subject to transfer windows. Never rated him as a manager and I suspect he'll be on borrowed time the second they get promoted.
Reply: 49 - 86
March 24, 2023, 9:40am
Guest User
Quoted from Son of Cod

Wasn't just that though, for me it was the whole day of the playoff semi. I walked away from The Racecourse after the match wearing Town colours and I lost count of the amount of people who shook my hand and wished us well for next season on the walk to the pub. In a ten minute walk it was easily over twenty though, perhaps even thirty. Then the same again in the pub, which was full of Wrexham fans. We were told before we went not to go in this pub or that pub or you'll get in trouble. Pre-match I went in two of the pubs that were supposedly no go options and the fans were absolutely fine in there. Chatty fans on the train that just wanted to talk about footy too.

I'm not fussed who they sign or whatever they spend, in fact I quite like the circus that goes with it all. The same as someone above though, my problems are with Mullin and Parkinson. My only other criticism of them would be that Ryan Reynolds seems to be somewhat of a disruptive influence. There were a number of times that his presence and his social media promotion got in the way of the first team squad's preparation going off the documentary. One in particular, he showed up as a surprise and they had to abandon their entire day of training and it was at the crunch end of the season too. If I was a Wrexham fan I'd be a bit concerned about that.

The amount of threads and time on here spent discussing them is a bit weird

Have to agree on that - so many posts complain about all the attention Wrexham receive from the media, yet TheFishy can't just
leave happenings at the Racecourse Ground alone!  

What you posted about the Wrexham fans was a very nice read.
Reply: 50 - 86
Mariner_09
March 24, 2023, 11:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from 140381
It'll be interesting to see how they do when they get promoted, and Parkinson actually has to plan for the season given they're subject to transfer windows. Never rated him as a manager and I suspect he'll be on borrowed time the second they get promoted.

Just means they'll have to be a bit more organised next summer, that's all. I still think they will go straight through L2.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 86
TheFryingSquad
March 24, 2023, 12:40pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: -124
Gold Stars: 11
Don’t see what the problem is, so what if they and their fans have had some fortune after years of nothing.  At least they are a proper football club with proper fans unlike:-

Salford fûcking City
Sutton fûcking United
Stevenage fûcking Borough
Fleetwood fûcking Town
Burton fûcking Albion
Forest fûcking Green fûcking Rovers
Harrogate fûcking Town
Crawley fûcking Town
And Bàstard MK Dons
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 86
Maringer
March 24, 2023, 1:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Sutton United are a team which won promotion without massive financial backing, unlike the other teams in that list. Hardly fair to lump them in with the others who bought their way to promotion. Actually, I think Stevenage probably went up by merit as well, horrible as they've been during our encounters.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 86
LH
March 24, 2023, 1:16pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,528
Gold Stars: 173
Burton, Stevenage and Sutton all had money from cup runs which they invested wisely didn’t they? All the others are millionaire play things (or billionaire for Salford).
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 86
TheFryingSquad
March 24, 2023, 1:18pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Sutton United are a team which won promotion without massive financial backing, unlike the other teams in that list. Hardly fair to lump them in with the others who bought their way to promotion. Actually, I think Stevenage probably went up by merit as well, horrible as they've been during our encounters.

Actually yes, I’ll concede Sutton.  Until a couple of weeks ago I thought they were based in Sutton Coldfield.  You’re not having Stevenage though, if you’ve ever been you’ll have noted that it makes Milton Keynes look like an architectural masterpiece.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 86
Poojah
March 24, 2023, 1:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,568
Gold Stars: 1,500
Speaking of MK Dons, we stopped off for a bite to eat next to their ground on the way down to Brighton last Friday night. I’ve never been to watch a game there on principle, but what a lovely looking ground they’ve got.

Really fúcked me off it did. I don’t like a world where the likes of Bury are completely out of the professional football ecosystem while they get to ponce around in their flashy, way too big stadium. They are quite literally the only club I would take pleasure in going bust and I genuinely hope I live to see that day.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 86
Son of Cod
March 24, 2023, 2:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Poojah
Speaking of MK Dons, we stopped off for a bite to eat next to their ground on the way down to Brighton last Friday night. I’ve never been to watch a game there on principle, but what a lovely looking ground they’ve got.

Really fúcked me off it did. I don’t like a world where the likes of Bury are completely out of the professional football ecosystem while they get to ponce around in their flashy, way too big stadium. They are quite literally the only club I would take pleasure in going bust and I genuinely hope I live to see that day.

I've probably mentioned this before but I was next to the MK Dons fans at Wembley and I don't think I've ever been more proud to be a Town fan as I was in the moment when their Mexican Wave went half way around the stadium along their entire fanbase and arrived at the Town fans to be met with a wall of middle fingers. Danny Boshell's missed penalty was totally worth it to see the confused look on the faces of those children in jester hats on the other side of the divide between the two sets of fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 86
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2023, 2:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I've seen egg chasing there and it is good, there is no justice!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 86
Abdul19
March 24, 2023, 2:49pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,566
Gold Stars: 216
Must be a hell of a ground if it's making that guff good  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 86
Poojah
March 24, 2023, 3:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,568
Gold Stars: 1,500
You know what the saddest thing about MK Dons is? In trying to take shortcuts, at the expense of Wimbledon, they have in actual fact stunted their own growth.

How long did it take Wimbledon to completely reform and climb their way back to the league? About 8 or 9 years from memory. Milton Keynes already had a team playing 4 or 5 steps below the football league; had Charles Koppel / Pete Winkleman et al have bought them, taken them through the divisions and into that fine stadium, I suspect they’d, at the very least, be close to filling it in the Championship, as a legitimate club that the local community had bought into.

For context, Milton Keynes is roughly 3x the size of Burnley. I understand the maths that went into the idea to moving them from south London; their owners simply didn’t understand the hearts and minds of football fans, and so they remain largely unadopted by their own community and getting crowds that will continue to see them yo-yo-big between League’s One and Two. And it’s all their own fault.

They will be forever a missed opportunity. Too toxic for any genuine football fan to warm to, let alone support. And taking the thread back to its original topic, however it happens you cannot deny Wrexham’s likely place in the league next season. What’s happening there is unorthodox, but they’re a club with history and genuine fans, it’s financially sustainable and cleverly thought out. The complete opposite of the Bastárd Franchise Scum. I’m not sure how I could bring myself to hate the antithesis of that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 86
Grimsby2012
March 24, 2023, 3:18pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
Ryan Reynolds will learn at some point his vision for Wrexham is dead in the pool.

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 86
March 24, 2023, 9:27pm
Guest User
Quoted from Mariner_09

Just means they'll have to be a bit more organised next summer, that's all. I still think they will go straight through L2.

That’s my point. I don’t think Parkinson is capable of it.
Reply: 62 - 86
TheFryingSquad
March 24, 2023, 9:52pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from 140381

That’s my point. I don’t think Parkinson is capable of it.

Parkinson has a tough job, club inherits cash and expects results.  Remember Mark Hughes at Man City?  Give the guy some credit, yes he’s had a huge budget to work with but the league table at the moment says he’s delivering.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 86
sydney
March 25, 2023, 6:23am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Come on County
Beat them to the title please
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 86
aldi_01
March 25, 2023, 6:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Parkinson is a dinosaur, I can see him being ousted when they’re back in the league and finding it tough.

I’d argue that the only reason they get results is because of the calibre of player rather than parkinson being some master tactician or motivator…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 86
Mappers
March 25, 2023, 10:14am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,325
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from aldi_01
Parkinson is a dinosaur, I can see him being ousted when they’re back in the league and finding it tough.

I’d argue that the only reason they get results is because of the calibre of player rather than parkinson being some master tactician or motivator…

It might be a while though until it gets to the point when the quality of manager is even an issue , if they hoover up Prem/champ players for league 2 they will probably go straight through -it will probably be a year or 2 later when they are against clubs with similiar or bigger warchests that they remove him if they are not getting results .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 86
RonMariner
March 26, 2023, 10:34am

Special Brew Drinker
Is Reynolds in it for the long term though?

It's relatively easy to buy your way out of the NL. In our first stint there Fleetwood and Crawley did it, and then Luton following a lucrative cup run.  One to two million invested in the playing squad will get you out.

Promoted clubs seldom go straight through L2 though, if they are in a hurry to do so it probably involves a costly upgrade to the squad, but still chicken feed to a man or Reynolds's wealth. But getting further up the ladder involves a far more serious injection of funds.

Look at the clubs in L1 currently, Wednesday, Ipswich, Derby, these are large clubs. It took Sunderland years to escape. Lincoln have lost 6 million in the last four years and that gets them mid table. Millionaire owners of FGR and MK Dons see their cash buying relegation threatened sides.  So getting out of L1 will probably set him back an aggregate outlay running over the ten million mark.

And then what? The sums involved in mounting a promotion challenge in the Championship are astronomical. Derby spent £200 million without success. Preston, sitting mid table,  are reportedly over £60 million in debt. The Premier League £40 million parachute payments mean that relegated clubs start with a formidable war chest, which explains why clubs like Norwich, Fulham, Sheff Utd, and Bournemouth can yo yo between the divisions.

So buying a small club into L1 is certainly possible. But will Reynolds really want to hand over the huge sums to progress further? It may be that Netflix is footing the bill thus far. But again, they are a business and one assumes have no desire to lose a fortune for the sake of Wrexham.

So I think the Wrexham fans are going to have a great ride for another couple of seasons, but something tells me that it's not going to last. As soon as Reynolds finds a sports project closer to home the writing will be on the wall for them.        
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 86
HertsGTFC
March 26, 2023, 11:15am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

It might be a while though until it gets to the point when the quality of manager is even an issue , if they hoover up Prem/champ players for league 2 they will probably go straight through -it will probably be a year or 2 later when they are against clubs with similiar or bigger warchests that they remove him if they are not getting results .

It’s interesting isn’t it. There is an assumption that when they go up they’ll operate a squad with loads of players who are of the level you describe but will they?

Don’t forget though Wrexham will have money it’s unlikely they’ll be able to match salaries of good players from the top 2 leagues whilst in league 2. In fact after spending a lot to fail last season unless I’ve missed something to their credit they haven’t drafted loads of names to make it work this season.

They will have a good squad for sure, one that will see them be a good bet for promotion but getting a player to drop down from the prem or championship is a lot harder than attracting fee diving prostitutes like Mullin or limited ability lower league players like Tozer & Palmer.

Players who earn theirs salaries in multiples of £5k/£10k per week won’t move into what will still be relative obscurity compared to the top to leagues for an extra few grand and a feature length episode about them on a subscription channel.

Their traditional and new support deserves success and we know from experience what that can do in a Town that’s struggling so again that’s good news and I don’t begrudge them.

If I was the National league I’d be really worried when Wrexham & Notts go up as they’ve probably done more to attract attention to tin pot than anything those half @rsed amateurs who run it could think of. When they’ve gone up I can’t see many interesting stories in the National League to attract sponsors etc..

As for Parkinson he’s relatively safe as the owners don’t really know much about the game, if they start to understand he may (hopefully) be under a bit of pressure if things don’t go to plan and the Tv ratings drop.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 86
TwoLeftFeet
March 26, 2023, 11:29am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,081
Gold Stars: 18
Can't help thinking once Disney lose interest in the project and stop the series the owners will too.. great ride for the fans which will see them up a league or two in the future tho..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 86
toontown
March 26, 2023, 11:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from HertsGTFC

It’s interesting isn’t it. There is an assumption that when they go up they’ll operate a squad with loads of players who are of the level you describe but will they?

Don’t forget though Wrexham will have money it’s unlikely they’ll be able to match salaries of good players from the top 2 leagues whilst in league 2. In fact after spending a lot to fail last season unless I’ve missed something to their credit they haven’t drafted loads of names to make it work this season.

They will have a good squad for sure, one that will see them be a good bet for promotion but getting a player to drop down from the prem or championship is a lot harder than attracting fee diving prostitutes like Mullin or limited ability lower league players like Tozer & Palmer.

Players who earn theirs salaries in multiples of £5k/£10k per week won’t move into what will still be relative obscurity compared to the top to leagues for an extra few grand and a feature length episode about them on a subscription channel.

Their traditional and new support deserves success and we know from experience what that can do in a Town that’s struggling so again that’s good news and I don’t begrudge them.

If I was the National league I’d be really worried when Wrexham & Notts go up as they’ve probably done more to attract attention to tin pot than anything those half @rsed amateurs who run it could think of. When they’ve gone up I can’t see many interesting stories in the National League to attract sponsors etc..

As for Parkinson he’s relatively safe as the owners don’t really know much about the game, if they start to understand he may (hopefully) be under a bit of pressure if things don’t go to plan and the Tv ratings drop.

They're not gonna be recruiting established players from the prem for league 2 next season.

They will have to up their game again a bit but they had to overpay more in the NL than any other for the simple reason it's the toughest league to get out of, only the champs know theyrr promoted. Last season being the perfect example, finished runners up, miles ahead of town, got beat in the playoffs.

They will be recruiting league 1 level players again, maybe the odd championship player,l or two, they only need to finish 3rd to guarantee promotion. League 2 is tge easiest league to get out of (not saying its easy, but it's easier).

The amount of merchandise they're selling in the states for a club ofbtheir size is huge, then there's money from tik tok sponsorship, aviator gin, the Disney documentary, not to mention sell out crowds. They will be fine next year, probably in league 1 too, although that's obviously tougher, its if they get to the championship that I can't see them generating enough - the sums involved are just too big. Unless Reynolds wants to spaff a load of his cash at it for 1 season and hope to make it via the playoffs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 86
aldi_01
March 27, 2023, 6:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
They will Spaff next year, no doubt about it. League 1 will be the stumbling block.

Stockwood alluded to the fact they’ve already got a league 1 budget but the disparity between budgets in league 1 is bigger than the conference, you’ve teams in there with massive budgets who get huge crowds. This is where they’ll stall for me. Whatever anyone thinks of Ryan, he’s clearly shrewd to some degree, spaffing £3m in the conference is fine but you’d have to Spaff probably double/three times that to possibly compete in league 1.

The TikTok sponsorship will be interesting should governments start imposing tougher restrictions on them.

Parkinson is still their issue…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 86
gtfc98
March 27, 2023, 6:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from aldi_01
They will Spaff next year, no doubt about it. League 1 will be the stumbling block.

Stockwood alluded to the fact they’ve already got a league 1 budget but the disparity between budgets in league 1 is bigger than the conference, you’ve teams in there with massive budgets who get huge crowds. This is where they’ll stall for me. Whatever anyone thinks of Ryan, he’s clearly shrewd to some degree, spaffing £3m in the conference is fine but you’d have to Spaff probably double/three times that to possibly compete in league 1.

The TikTok sponsorship will be interesting should governments start imposing tougher restrictions on them.

Parkinson is still their issue…

In reality I doubt Reynolds and McEllhenney have actually spaffed anything. The documentary will be making them way more than 3m per season. Pretty clever really.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 86
promotion plaice
March 28, 2023, 7:58am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,071
Gold Stars: 198

Money talks....

Man Utd announce they will take on Wrexham in San Diego as part of their summer tour of the United States.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 86
RonMariner
March 28, 2023, 8:05am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

Money talks....

Man Utd announce they will take on Wrexham in San Diego as part of their summer tour of the United States.

What is happening at Wrexham if another manifestation of our celebrity obsessed culture. It’s not just about the money, it’s about the star profile of the owners.

I still think that balloon will deflate very rapidly once Reynolds gets bored of it or finds another plaything closer to home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 86
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 28, 2023, 8:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,841
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from RonMariner

What is happening at Wrexham if another manifestation of our celebrity obsessed culture. It’s not just about the money, it’s about the star profile of the owners.

I still think that balloon will deflate very rapidly once Reynolds gets bored of it or finds another plaything closer to home.

Agree with the first part wholeheartedly. There was something similar in the mid-late 90s when Robbie Williams was rumoured to be taking over port vale.

While there is money to be made at Wrexham and the exposure is there, am sure that deadpool and his mate will milk it for all it’s worth, and fair play to them for it. Do I agree with the way that they are doing it by paying over the odds for each mercenary that joins them? Not one bit, but then again, it would be hypocritical of me to dismiss it, because I’d be happy if it was happening at town

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 86
MarinerMal
March 28, 2023, 12:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +782
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from RonMariner

Even if it does deflate they'd only end up back were they are now but at least they would have been on a hell of ride. That is all most fans of lower league clubs want.

They seem to be doing more than just throwing money at it, they do look they are trying to build the brand and with some success. They don't appear to be irresponsible owners and I think if they do eventually leave, they leave Wrexham in a better place then what they found it.

I hope their fans enjoy the ride.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 86
Maringer
March 28, 2023, 1:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
The thing to remember is that the money Reynolds is spending is pretty much small change in comparison to his wealth from business interests, let alone his income from acting. He's reportedly just made $300 million from a stake in a mobile phone firm and he made a fortune from a stake in a gin company a few years ago as well.

The documentary deal probably covers a good amount of the expenditure on the club so far, but it is still a drop in the ocean in comparison to what he can afford. McElhenny will also be pretty well off, so they won't have to scratch around for money to spend a couple of million here and there.

It's not quite the same degree, but Salford City being mostly owned by a Singaporean billionaire really shows how vast wealth can distorts the market for smaller clubs. We know that Abramovich spent a ludicrous amount at Chelsea and the various despotic Middle Eastern regimes are trying to do the same for their sportwashing projects, so it probably isn't too much of a surprise that this is filtering down the divisions as well.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 86
scrumble
March 28, 2023, 1:38pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Has Reynolds really spent that much on the club. The Tik Tok advertising, the TV show, shirt sales through the roof have probably made back any money spent on players

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 86
TheFryingSquad
March 28, 2023, 5:58pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner
Is Reynolds in it for the long term though?

It's relatively easy to buy your way out of the NL. In our first stint there Fleetwood and Crawley did it, and then Luton following a lucrative cup run.  One to two million invested in the playing squad will get you out.

Promoted clubs seldom go straight through L2 though, if they are in a hurry to do so it probably involves a costly upgrade to the squad, but still chicken feed to a man or Reynolds's wealth. But getting further up the ladder involves a far more serious injection of funds.

Look at the clubs in L1 currently, Wednesday, Ipswich, Derby, these are large clubs. It took Sunderland years to escape. Lincoln have lost 6 million in the last four years and that gets them mid table. Millionaire owners of FGR and MK Dons see their cash buying relegation threatened sides.  So getting out of L1 will probably set him back an aggregate outlay running over the ten million mark.

And then what? The sums involved in mounting a promotion challenge in the Championship are astronomical. Derby spent £200 million without success. Preston, sitting mid table,  are reportedly over £60 million in debt. The Premier League £40 million parachute payments mean that relegated clubs start with a formidable war chest, which explains why clubs like Norwich, Fulham, Sheff Utd, and Bournemouth can yo yo between the divisions.

So buying a small club into L1 is certainly possible. But will Reynolds really want to hand over the huge sums to progress further? It may be that Netflix is footing the bill thus far. But again, they are a business and one assumes have no desire to lose a fortune for the sake of Wrexham.

So I think the Wrexham fans are going to have a great ride for another couple of seasons, but something tells me that it's not going to last. As soon as Reynolds finds a sports project closer to home the writing will be on the wall for them.        

Do we know how much the Wrexham owners have put in over and above the purchase price?  Could it be the case that with sell-out crowds every week, increased sponsorship and two Netflix series, that it’s pretty much cost neutral?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 86
Maringer
March 28, 2023, 6:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
The players they've signed and the wages they are reportedly earning won't be near covered even by sellout crowds. How much the sponsorship/TV deals are worth I'm not sure, but I'd be surprised if they hadn't needed to bung a good amount of money into the club on top of the purchase price.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 86
ska face
March 28, 2023, 6:41pm

Vodka Drinker
They’re getting £430k an EPISODE for that documentary.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/wh.....-430000-25923219.amp

The only thing stopping them hitting the championship in 2 years will be their manager.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 86
MarinerDevil
March 28, 2023, 6:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from TheFryingSquad

Do we know how much the Wrexham owners have put in over and above the purchase price?  Could it be the case that with sell-out crowds every week, increased sponsorship and two Netflix series, that it’s pretty much cost neutral?

They bought £2m of newly issued shares right after they took over in February 2021, and bought £1m more last summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 86
ginnywings
March 31, 2023, 10:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 86
Maringer
March 31, 2023, 11:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Ah, our old friend the 'benign loan'.

Regardless, it's small change to Reynolds. I doubt he'll ever see his money back, unless the club is bought by someone even wealthier.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 86
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 1, 2023, 2:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,841
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from ginnywings

I’d say a good chunk of the £3m loss is covering the demolition work to rebuild their stand.  

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 86
barralad
April 1, 2023, 7:21am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I’d say a good chunk of the £3m loss is covering the demolition work to rebuild their stand.  

Yep.
Pretty sure they applied for lottery money and were turned down.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 86
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham spending again !

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.