Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham spending again !
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 125 Guests

Wrexham spending again !

This thread currently has 9,703 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Bristol Mariner
March 23, 2023, 9:05pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from DB
The only issue I have is what happens when the bubble bursts, as it surely will probably later rather than sooner. It will be the case that money from Netflix will dry up when the adverting revenue goes because the viewing figures drop , then will the Yanks want to keep funding their hobby?

It's not a matter of envy or jealousy but having seen other clubs virtually go to the wall, not pay debts to small businesses that supplied them and then being bought out of bankruptcy for coppers. It is the small people and hardcore fans who will suffer.

they'll be in Div 1 in couple seasons

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 86
RonMariner
March 23, 2023, 10:21pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,730
Gold Stars: 226
The owners had no prior link to Wrexham. They could have bought any club.

Imagine how we would feel if they had bought Scunthorpe! On the other hand what would we be saying if they had bought us?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 86
GY1
March 23, 2023, 11:01pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +133
Gold Stars: 1
unfortunately, there will probably be more spending by Wrexham, with their owner having just sold his mobile phone company (Mint Mobile) for 1.3 billion dollars!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 86
Maringer
March 23, 2023, 11:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
He only owns 25% of Mint, I believe. Just a few hundred million dollars more in his pocket, not more than a billion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 86
Norseman
March 24, 2023, 12:15am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from ska face

For every decent fan of theirs, they seem to have picked up two or three absolute helmets. I think at the start there seemed to be an element of embarrassment and acknowledgement that signing people like Tozer, Lee and Mullin wasn’t necessarily how things were done at that level, but they’d had a bad time and were due a decent shake of the stick. Hard to argue with that.

This season though, the whole facade has completely disappeared and you see a lot of their fans just leaning into it, especially on Twitter, and actively goading other fans. Dunno, maybe it’s overcompensating because they realise they’re quite clearly the villains in the story and nobody buys the bullshít outside of a TV studio?

Yeah most of them in the States
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 86
aldi_01
March 24, 2023, 6:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
This whole ‘their fans are great’ thing is wearing a bit thin. Throughout that awful series there were some oddballs, and granted, every club has them but because a few slung some coppers in a bucket for our fans to get there, suddenly they’re a great bunch.

What about the boring girl private who’s such a Wrexham fan he watched extra time from a pub, probably because the TV people asked him?

They’ve certainly had an increase in bellends watching them to be honest, this whole yanks getting involved thing seems a bit tragic and false.

I fully agree that playing teams like Wrexham, Notts County, chesterfield etc is more exciting than playing Crawley or Stevenage but this whole facade of community club and what not is drifting away from Wrexham and it’s all becoming a bit football manager. And still, they persevere with Parkinson. An absolute flipping dinosaur and bellsniff of the highest order.

No doubt they’ll come up and just spaff cash like it’s going out of fashion, if their fans want to do that then crack on. I much prefer our model, I’d much prefer to follow a similar path to Luton or Lincoln for instance.

Weird really isn’t it, a club that not that long ago was on its bottom, on its bottom through mismanagement and likely overspend. A club who’s trust and fans were vocal about the way football is operated and no doubt critics of wealthy foreign investors with no allegiance to a club coming over here and just getting cash happy, and yet here they are…

Remember though, two games they had last year 2 that they needed to win…they lost them both…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 86
Zero_as_a_limit
March 24, 2023, 6:37am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +109
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Mappers
Whats the aim for Wrexham with the Yanks at the wheel ?

To go right through to the Prem ?

Basically yes. Looking at some of the 50 clubs who have played a season or more in the Premier League it is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Were I a Wrexham fan my concern would be that the owners are as focussed on coming up with 'plotlines' for the documentary (i.e. planning around the new stand, the King visiting the ground, the hullaballoo around their FA Cup run, the Kings of Leon gig etc) as they are on the football side - particularly if Foster is going to be the first of several 'big name' ex-premier league players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 86
March 24, 2023, 6:54am
Guest User
Can't say I'm too fussed about what Wrexham do, if I'm honest.

They're clearly favourites to join us in L2 next season. If they follow their NL strategy, they'll sign a couple of Championship
strikers, a defensive kingpin, and probably a class midfielder too (as a minimum).

They may walk this league with 100+ points...but so what?
That still leaves 2 automatic promotion spots and 4 play-off places for us to aim for.
And taking points off "moneybags" teams is always doubly sweet for us Town fans.

Yeah, it would be handy to have their cash - but I like the fact our owners are local people, and I'd have our manager rather
than theirs anyday.

Looking forward to next season irrespective of events at the Racecouse Ground.
Reply: 47 - 86
Son of Cod
March 24, 2023, 8:51am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from aldi_01
This whole ‘their fans are great’ thing is wearing a bit thin. Throughout that awful series there were some oddballs, and granted, every club has them but because a few slung some coppers in a bucket for our fans to get there, suddenly they’re a great bunch.

Wasn't just that though, for me it was the whole day of the playoff semi. I walked away from The Racecourse after the match wearing Town colours and I lost count of the amount of people who shook my hand and wished us well for next season on the walk to the pub. In a ten minute walk it was easily over twenty though, perhaps even thirty. Then the same again in the pub, which was full of Wrexham fans. We were told before we were not to go in this pub or that pub or you'll get in trouble. Pre-match I went in two of the pubs that were supposedly no go options and the fans were absolutely fine in there. Chatty fans on the train that just wanted to talk about footy too.

I'm not fussed who they sign or whatever they spend, in fact I quite like the circus that goes with it all. The same as someone above though, my problems are with Mullin and Parkinson. My only other criticism of them would be that Ryan Reynolds seems to be somewhat of a disruptive influence. There were a number of times that his presence and his social media promotion got in the way of the first team squad's preparation going off the documentary. One in particular, he showed up as a surprise and they had to abandon their entire day of training and it was at the crunch end of the season too. If I was a Wrexham fan I'd be a bit concerned about that.

The amount of threads and time on here spent discussing them is a bit weird.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 86
March 24, 2023, 9:13am
Guest User
It'll be interesting to see how they do when they get promoted, and Parkinson actually has to plan for the season given they're subject to transfer windows. Never rated him as a manager and I suspect he'll be on borrowed time the second they get promoted.
Reply: 49 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham spending again !

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.