Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham spending again !
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 142 Guests

Wrexham spending again !

This thread currently has 9,702 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
March 24, 2023, 3:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,595
Gold Stars: 1,503
You know what the saddest thing about MK Dons is? In trying to take shortcuts, at the expense of Wimbledon, they have in actual fact stunted their own growth.

How long did it take Wimbledon to completely reform and climb their way back to the league? About 8 or 9 years from memory. Milton Keynes already had a team playing 4 or 5 steps below the football league; had Charles Koppel / Pete Winkleman et al have bought them, taken them through the divisions and into that fine stadium, I suspect they’d, at the very least, be close to filling it in the Championship, as a legitimate club that the local community had bought into.

For context, Milton Keynes is roughly 3x the size of Burnley. I understand the maths that went into the idea to moving them from south London; their owners simply didn’t understand the hearts and minds of football fans, and so they remain largely unadopted by their own community and getting crowds that will continue to see them yo-yo-big between League’s One and Two. And it’s all their own fault.

They will be forever a missed opportunity. Too toxic for any genuine football fan to warm to, let alone support. And taking the thread back to its original topic, however it happens you cannot deny Wrexham’s likely place in the league next season. What’s happening there is unorthodox, but they’re a club with history and genuine fans, it’s financially sustainable and cleverly thought out. The complete opposite of the Bastárd Franchise Scum. I’m not sure how I could bring myself to hate the antithesis of that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 86
Grimsby2012
March 24, 2023, 3:18pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
Ryan Reynolds will learn at some point his vision for Wrexham is dead in the pool.

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 86
March 24, 2023, 9:27pm
Guest User
Quoted from Mariner_09

Just means they'll have to be a bit more organised next summer, that's all. I still think they will go straight through L2.

That’s my point. I don’t think Parkinson is capable of it.
Reply: 62 - 86
TheFryingSquad
March 24, 2023, 9:52pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: -124
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from 140381

That’s my point. I don’t think Parkinson is capable of it.

Parkinson has a tough job, club inherits cash and expects results.  Remember Mark Hughes at Man City?  Give the guy some credit, yes he’s had a huge budget to work with but the league table at the moment says he’s delivering.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 86
sydney
March 25, 2023, 6:23am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Come on County
Beat them to the title please
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 86
aldi_01
March 25, 2023, 6:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Parkinson is a dinosaur, I can see him being ousted when they’re back in the league and finding it tough.

I’d argue that the only reason they get results is because of the calibre of player rather than parkinson being some master tactician or motivator…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 86
Mappers
March 25, 2023, 10:14am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,337
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from aldi_01
Parkinson is a dinosaur, I can see him being ousted when they’re back in the league and finding it tough.

I’d argue that the only reason they get results is because of the calibre of player rather than parkinson being some master tactician or motivator…

It might be a while though until it gets to the point when the quality of manager is even an issue , if they hoover up Prem/champ players for league 2 they will probably go straight through -it will probably be a year or 2 later when they are against clubs with similiar or bigger warchests that they remove him if they are not getting results .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 86
RonMariner
March 26, 2023, 10:34am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,724
Gold Stars: 226
Is Reynolds in it for the long term though?

It's relatively easy to buy your way out of the NL. In our first stint there Fleetwood and Crawley did it, and then Luton following a lucrative cup run.  One to two million invested in the playing squad will get you out.

Promoted clubs seldom go straight through L2 though, if they are in a hurry to do so it probably involves a costly upgrade to the squad, but still chicken feed to a man or Reynolds's wealth. But getting further up the ladder involves a far more serious injection of funds.

Look at the clubs in L1 currently, Wednesday, Ipswich, Derby, these are large clubs. It took Sunderland years to escape. Lincoln have lost 6 million in the last four years and that gets them mid table. Millionaire owners of FGR and MK Dons see their cash buying relegation threatened sides.  So getting out of L1 will probably set him back an aggregate outlay running over the ten million mark.

And then what? The sums involved in mounting a promotion challenge in the Championship are astronomical. Derby spent £200 million without success. Preston, sitting mid table,  are reportedly over £60 million in debt. The Premier League £40 million parachute payments mean that relegated clubs start with a formidable war chest, which explains why clubs like Norwich, Fulham, Sheff Utd, and Bournemouth can yo yo between the divisions.

So buying a small club into L1 is certainly possible. But will Reynolds really want to hand over the huge sums to progress further? It may be that Netflix is footing the bill thus far. But again, they are a business and one assumes have no desire to lose a fortune for the sake of Wrexham.

So I think the Wrexham fans are going to have a great ride for another couple of seasons, but something tells me that it's not going to last. As soon as Reynolds finds a sports project closer to home the writing will be on the wall for them.        
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 86
HertsGTFC
March 26, 2023, 11:15am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,954
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Mappers

It might be a while though until it gets to the point when the quality of manager is even an issue , if they hoover up Prem/champ players for league 2 they will probably go straight through -it will probably be a year or 2 later when they are against clubs with similiar or bigger warchests that they remove him if they are not getting results .

It’s interesting isn’t it. There is an assumption that when they go up they’ll operate a squad with loads of players who are of the level you describe but will they?

Don’t forget though Wrexham will have money it’s unlikely they’ll be able to match salaries of good players from the top 2 leagues whilst in league 2. In fact after spending a lot to fail last season unless I’ve missed something to their credit they haven’t drafted loads of names to make it work this season.

They will have a good squad for sure, one that will see them be a good bet for promotion but getting a player to drop down from the prem or championship is a lot harder than attracting fee diving prostitutes like Mullin or limited ability lower league players like Tozer & Palmer.

Players who earn theirs salaries in multiples of £5k/£10k per week won’t move into what will still be relative obscurity compared to the top to leagues for an extra few grand and a feature length episode about them on a subscription channel.

Their traditional and new support deserves success and we know from experience what that can do in a Town that’s struggling so again that’s good news and I don’t begrudge them.

If I was the National league I’d be really worried when Wrexham & Notts go up as they’ve probably done more to attract attention to tin pot than anything those half @rsed amateurs who run it could think of. When they’ve gone up I can’t see many interesting stories in the National League to attract sponsors etc..

As for Parkinson he’s relatively safe as the owners don’t really know much about the game, if they start to understand he may (hopefully) be under a bit of pressure if things don’t go to plan and the Tv ratings drop.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 86
TwoLeftFeet
March 26, 2023, 11:29am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,082
Gold Stars: 18
Can't help thinking once Disney lose interest in the project and stop the series the owners will too.. great ride for the fans which will see them up a league or two in the future tho..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham spending again !

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.