Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fans Forum rearranged.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 157 Guests

Fans Forum rearranged.

This thread currently has 12,281 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
January 22, 2023, 12:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from pen penfras

Nothing wrong with that if they're good.

Agreed. And, the positive in all this is they’ve clearly listened and observed and acknowledged she isn’t. Pushed, sacked or simply resigned, either way she’s gone…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 149
lew chaterleys lover
January 22, 2023, 12:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,747
Gold Stars: 237
Didn't the chairman say something about still formulating their long term strategy?

I assume they won't commit to that, whatever it may be until they feel they have got the right people in place to carry it through so it may take longer than expected.

I hope there is a lot happening behind the scenes but things seem to have gone a bit off the boil on and off the pitch.
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 149
MuddyWaters
January 22, 2023, 12:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Didn't the chairman say something about still formulating their long term strategy?

I assume they won't commit to that, whatever it may be until they feel they have got the right people in place to carry it through so it may take longer than expected.

I hope there is a lot happening behind the scenes but things seem to have gone a bit off the boil on and off the pitch.

I think that there's a bit of a reality check going on from all sides. Let's face it, the first 16/17 months of the new owners couldn't have gone much better and that had to come to an end at some point.

With regard to the commercial side, a lot of relationships had built up over a long time and, having done a few player kit sponsorships, I can honestly say that Dave Smith & Sam Strandt were a joy to deal with. You can't just expect to replace that in an instant. For all Fenty's failings (and there were several), he had some very good staff working for him.
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 149
HertsGTFC
January 22, 2023, 12:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,989
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I think you need somebody with commercial football experience within the commercial team.

We've poached a few people from Lincoln on the football side but one thing they've done well in recent years is tap in to the towns and villages around Louth; areas that were traditionally black and white when I was growing up.

Ideally I’d agree but as we’re a small club the role feels like it’s an entry level role (and if I recall salary) for someone with transferable skills & some experience or an ex player who’s been involved in or studying for a role prior to their playing career ending.

I think that kind of role has more to it than just sweet talking SME’s into advertising and a coupe of match day sponsorships a season, if it isn’t it should be if we’re to generate any significant income in a tough socioeconomic environment.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 149
lew chaterleys lover
January 22, 2023, 12:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think that there's a bit of a reality check going on from all sides. Let's face it, the first 16/17 months of the new owners couldn't have gone much better and that had to come to an end at some point.

With regard to the commercial side, a lot of relationships had built up over a long time and, having done a few player kit sponsorships, I can honestly say that Dave Smith & Sam Strandt were a joy to deal with. You can't just expect to replace that in an instant. For all Fenty's failings (and there were several), he had some very good staff working for him.

I think you are right, but it is a fine line between taking stock and losing momentum. I think an upturn in player recruitment should calm any anxieties.

I do agree about Dave Smith. A very amiable chap and a pleasure to do business with.
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 149
jamesgtfc
January 22, 2023, 12:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,040
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Ideally I’d agree but as we’re a small club the role feels like it’s an entry level role (and if I recall salary) for someone with transferable skills & some experience or an ex player who’s been involved in or studying for a role prior to their playing career ending.

I think that kind of role has more to it than just sweet talking SME’s into advertising and a coupe of match day sponsorships a season, if it isn’t it should be if we’re to generate any significant income in a tough socioeconomic environment.

I think an ex player can offer the kind of insight the corporate customers want but then we also need to rename our two tiered stand which isn't likely to go to the kind of firms you sell advertising boards and a box to.

Maybe the high end sponsorship deals need to fall under the remit of the board whilst the commercial team focus on the lower value sponsorships?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 149
lew chaterleys lover
January 22, 2023, 1:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I think an ex player can offer the kind of insight the corporate customers want but then we also need to rename our two tiered stand which isn't likely to go to the kind of firms you sell advertising boards and a box to.

Maybe the high end sponsorship deals need to fall under the remit of the board whilst the commercial team focus on the lower value sponsorships?

Yes it's the board with the high end business contacts and I would expect them to do the big deals when they are ready.
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 149
HertsGTFC
January 22, 2023, 1:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,989
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Agree, I think there is a thing here about you get what you pay for. Really capable people come at a price I’m not sure we’re prepared to pay for that.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 149
aldi_01
January 22, 2023, 1:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think it’s a genuine discussion to have and unlike previously, I suspect that Stockwood and Pettit will hold people to account. Under the old regime I’m not so sure it mattered whether you were any good at your job because Fenty did whatever Fenty wanted…

That said, credit to Smudge and Sam because they always did their job impeccably and with a genuine willingness to succeed.

I’ve no issue with people bringing in friends or former colleagues, Christ, it’s football, that’s literally how the managerial merry go round works, but, if those people don’t work or have impact it’s how you deal with that. In this case it’s clear the club have dealt with it as swiftly as they possibly can.

The club was a million miles away off the pitch and that will take time to change and whilst 1878 are probably used to quick and worthwhile impact, perhaps that’s not as simple in football.

We’re a tinpot club, fact, we could be more but the disparity in football is ever increasing, simply existing, competing on a level and having s good season here and there is likely for clubs like ours, that doesn’t mean you can’t be ambitious. What the role needs is someone who connects with the fans, local businesses but also has the drive and determination to attract those bigger sponsors and clients. Perhaps the role was bigger than the outgoing person? Perhaps they are operating differently to how the club is and needs to? Who knows, they’ve gone and the club continues to evolve.

We know that people see football clubs as an opportunity to enhance once’s standing or status, perhaps some of this came in to play?

Or, and there’s logic behind this thinking, the club had someone in place that could do that job and was so why spend money on a role if someone else is doing it anyway?

I’ve never advocated for roles in the upper echelons of clubs to go to fans, we’re too invested and sometimes would make the wrong decisions based on our unconditional love for the club, however, some understanding of the local landscape and an idea of what the fans want could be extremely beneficial to this role…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 149
MuddyWaters
January 22, 2023, 1:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agree, I think there is a thing here about you get what you pay for. Really capable people come at a price I’m not sure we’re prepared to pay for that.

I’m not sure that the outgoing employee was at entry level money. She had been at the top end of e-Factor and Business Hive. But that’s a completely different type of operation.
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 149
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fans Forum rearranged.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.