Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fans Forum rearranged.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 130 Guests

Fans Forum rearranged.

This thread currently has 12,286 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
January 21, 2023, 8:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,040
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from heppy88

I'm not reading criticism. Its not criticism to question how things are working, improving, not working so well, highlighting areas for improvement. Its not criticism to debate the progress, or perceived lack of progress regarding the club, on and off the pitch.  

Reading a few of the threads and posts recently, it is clear a few posters get seriously prickly, when others point out areas of the club that may still need improving, areas that we may have expected some improvement already.

Its healthy to promote transparency, discussion and debate. I thought that was one of the main aims of 1878? I've been shocked how quickly some posters are shot down just because their views on the club/owners don't align with other posters.

Isn't the whole point of The Fishy to have a place where we can debate and share views, even if some views diverge from ours? FFS we are all Town aren't  we?

Some posters believe that being critical of anything 1878 do is being pro-Fenty. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

The interview with Jason today was great, he spoke knowledgeably about the pitch being 100 years old and ideally needing £1m spending on it but the long-term strategy of the club needs deciding first which I don't think anyone can argue with.

He was also asked about the commercial performance and admitted it wasn't very good so it's great to hear our owner doesn't have his head in the sand.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 149
ginnywings
January 21, 2023, 8:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from heppy88

I'm not reading criticism. Its not criticism to question how things are working, improving, not working so well, highlighting areas for improvement. Its not criticism to debate the progress, or perceived lack of progress regarding the club, on and off the pitch.  

Reading a few of the threads and posts recently, it is clear a few posters get seriously prickly, when others point out areas of the club that may still need improving, areas that we may have expected some improvement already.

Its healthy to promote transparency, discussion and debate. I thought that was one of the main aims of 1878? I've been shocked how quickly some posters are shot down just because their views on the club/owners don't align with other posters.

Isn't the whole point of The Fishy to have a place where we can debate and share views, even if some views diverge from ours? FFS we are all Town aren't  we?

And I would counter that by saying despite your assertion the fishy is a place for debate and differences of opinion, there is this phrase "being shot down" that creeps into the narrative.

It usually comes from those with a minority view when their opinions are challenged by the majority.

It's either a place for all opinions or it isn't. To claim some posters are "shot down" doesn't jibe with that. If you don't want your views challenged, don't make them.

I also find it odd that people seem to want to know about all aspects of the club, from the accounts to the commercial department. We only ever used to bother about the team and the footy on the pitch.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 149
chaos33
January 21, 2023, 8:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,991
Gold Stars: 362
Seems to me that there’s some misunderstanding. Go, or send in questions of a critical nature. Ask forensic questions. Scrutinise. Hold them to account. Discuss ambitions and expectations. When has anyone said that couldn’t be done? When have the owners implied they won’t participate in that? The inference from some on here was that the club would duck or filter difficult questions and various other gripes, although, it has to be said, there are a handful of contributors who are never happy, always complain, always imply there’s some sort of incompetent impropriety etc

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 149
moosey_club
January 21, 2023, 8:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,300
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from ginnywings

Sometimes wonder how they both got to be multi millionaires.

I think the general principal is to avoid spending more money than you make. 😉

Screening questions could be a positive step as opposed to a conspiracy....too many previous forums have wasted so much time on personal / self interest long winded questions from people who give their life story before eventually making a point or asking a question...
" oh hello...yes thank you , I am Brian, supporter since 1948...blah blah...Shankly.....blah blah..1972....blah blah...Wembley 98....doing a great job.....blah blah....at a recent game I could only manage to get a restricted view in the main stand....now when I got to my seat there was a big pillar restricting my view....blah blah...now while I appreciate I bought said ticket as a restricted view ...blah blah...the pillar restricted where I could place my feet ...as it was only advertised as a restricted view could I have my money back ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 149
aldi_01
January 21, 2023, 8:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from moosey_club

I think the general principal is to avoid spending more money than you make. 😉

Screening questions could be a positive step as opposed to a conspiracy....too many previous forums have wasted so much time on personal / self interest long winded questions from people who give their life story before eventually making a point or asking a question...
" oh hello...yes thank you , I am Brian, supporter since 1948...blah blah...Shankly.....blah blah..1972....blah blah...Wembley 98....doing a great job.....blah blah....at a recent game I could only manage to get a restricted view in the main stand....now when I got to my seat there was a big pillar restricting my view....blah blah...now while I appreciate I bought said ticket as a restricted view ...blah blah...the pillar restricted where I could place my feet ...as it was only advertised as a restricted view could I have my money back ?

I’d agree with this; countless hours at previous fans forums discussing flasks because Gerald doesn’t want to buy a coffee. Moaning about the size of a seat or, and it’s a favourite of mine, the discussion about food outlets at a stadium that was never going to exist…I clocked 24 minutes on that topic once…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 149
MuddyWaters
January 21, 2023, 9:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,279
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings

And I would counter that by saying despite your assertion the fishy is a place for debate and differences of opinion, there is this phrase "being shot down" that creeps into the narrative.

It usually comes from those with a minority view when their opinions are challenged by the majority.

It's either a place for all opinions or it isn't. To claim some posters are "shot down" doesn't jibe with that. If you don't want your views challenged, don't make them.

I also find it odd that people seem to want to know about all aspects of the club, from the accounts to the commercial department. We only ever used to bother about the team and the footy on the pitch.

Problem starts when those who have a different view are referred to as ‘keyboard warriors’ as was the case in today’s interview.

Is it odd to want to know what’s going on behind the scenes? I think you’ll find that forensic scrutiny happens at every club and in every business, stuff that gets into the public domain and stuff that people get told. It’s up to individuals how they process that information and how much credibility they give it.

Private Message
Reply: 55 - 149
arryarryarry
January 21, 2023, 9:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Some posters believe that being critical of anything 1878 do is being pro-Fenty. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

The interview with Jason today was great, he spoke knowledgeably about the pitch being 100 years old and ideally needing £1m spending on it but the long-term strategy of the club needs deciding first which I don't think anyone can argue with.

He was also asked about the commercial performance and admitted it wasn't very good so it's great to hear our owner doesn't have his head in the sand.

I haven't listened to his interview but if he said the pitch is 100 years old is a bit of a daft comment and probably an excuse for the recent state of the pitch.

The ground is obviously a hundred years old but the grass has been changed. The groundsman had won at least one award for the state of the pitch not that many seasons ago, also I am sure the top surface was removed and reseeded because the club kept putting out videos of tractors stripping it off.

For me the pitch has got worse since the drainage was put in as well as sprinklers.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 149
grimsby pete
January 21, 2023, 9:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from arryarryarry

I haven't listened to his interview but if he said the pitch is 100 years old is a bit of a daft comment and probably an excuse for the recent state of the pitch.

The ground is obviously a hundred years old but the grass has been changed. The groundsman had won at least one award for the state of the pitch not that many seasons ago, also I am sure the top surface was removed and reseeded because the club kept putting out videos of tractors stripping it off.

For me the pitch has got worse since the drainage was put in as well as sprinklers.

Global Warming is the problem with the pitch.

It's too hot

Too Cold

Too wet

Too dry

Plus who built that dirty great big stand keeping the sun off that side of the pitch.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 149
KingsleysHair
January 21, 2023, 9:51pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: +249
Gold Stars: 8
I didn’t notice the new Head of Commercial this afternoon when I was upstairs in Mcmenemy’s…is she the latest on the dispatch list?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 149
MuddyWaters
January 21, 2023, 9:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,279
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from KingsleysHair
I didn’t notice the new Head of Commercial this afternoon when I was upstairs in Mcmenemy’s…is she the latest on the dispatch list?

There was a question from Matt Dean that made me wonder if something was afoot.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 149
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fans Forum rearranged.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.