Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grown men running on the pitch??
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 290 Guests

Grown men running on the pitch??

This thread currently has 12,237 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
OneLove
October 13, 2021, 7:14am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from aldi_01

But then you have the debate on how to actually deal with it…this is a small incident being turned in to a full scale riot.

I’d argue banning orders don’t work (few punitive measures do) so what’s the solution…you also couple that with some heavy handed police work in certain situations and the whole thing becomes a pressure cooker.

They run on, the jump up and down, they dive back in. Less then 30 seconds, no harm done, the end.

exactly aldi, like I say its hardly crime of the century is it a few people buzzing and jumping on to congratulate the players, no harm done at all but the fickle people of the fishy turn anything into a massacre, yes its illegal and fully understand that but for me its one of the pettiest of crimes and the outcome possible ban, fine and exclusion order within radius of the ground is ridiculous punishment in comparison to 'real' criminality.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 132
jamesgtfc
October 13, 2021, 7:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from OneLove

exactly aldi, like I say its hardly crime of the century is it a few people buzzing and jumping on to congratulate the players, no harm done at all but the fickle people of the fishy turn anything into a massacre, yes its illegal and fully understand that but for me its one of the pettiest of crimes and the outcome possible ban, fine and exclusion order within radius of the ground is ridiculous punishment in comparison to 'real' criminality.

So how many people are allowed on the pitch until it becomes a problem?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 132
OneLove
October 13, 2021, 7:32am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from jamesgtfc

So how many people are allowed on the pitch until it becomes a problem?

none because its illegal but my point is I carnt see a problem with celebrating with players, there is literally zero harm being caused!

So answer this, last game of the season town get promoted and everyone runs on the pitch like against notts county what would your opinion be on that is everyones a male private for doing it, celebrating promotion or staying up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 132
Posh Harry
October 13, 2021, 7:49am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
I wonder how many people on here claiming it’s all harmless will be complaining about the police et al when we have a kick off moved to 12.30 which is very inconvenient for not just them but all concerned.

Look at the club statement, even when a few people do this it goes towards the police making an excuse to bring forward kick offs.

If you condone it then don’t complain when there are consequences.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 132
jamesgtfc
October 13, 2021, 7:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from OneLove

none because its illegal but my point is I carnt see a problem with celebrating with players, there is literally zero harm being caused!

So answer this, last game of the season town get promoted and everyone runs on the pitch like against notts county what would your opinion be on that is everyones a male private for doing it, celebrating promotion or staying up.

None are allowed on the pitch until it becomes a problem, so you've just confirmed it is a problem.

Pitch invasions have previously prevented players doing laps of honour. Thousands of people running onto the pitch must be scary for the people on there too.

How long until a nutter gets onto the pitch?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 132
TheRealJohnLewis
October 13, 2021, 8:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from MarinerWY

Don't get me wrong it's pathetic that grown men can't control themselves, but jumping up and down in celebration on the pitch is not hooliganism. It's illegal, and given the potential consequences for the club, pretty indefensible, but it's not hooliganism.

Football hooliganism constitutes violent or belligerent behaviour perpetrated by spectators at association football events.

Private Message
Reply: 75 - 132
It Bites
October 13, 2021, 8:11am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,184
Gold Stars: 259
It's illegal ffs. I bet the people arguing for fans running on the pitch are the ones that moan when they get a speeding ticket
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 132
ska face
October 13, 2021, 9:17am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,568
Gold Stars: 839
Quoted from Posh Harry
I wonder how many people on here claiming it’s all harmless will be complaining about the police et al when we have a kick off moved to 12.30 which is very inconvenient for not just them but all concerned.

Look at the club statement, even when a few people do this it goes towards the police making an excuse to bring forward kick offs.

If you condone it then don’t complain when there are consequences.

UTFM

Police will move kick offs whenever they fancy it based on the flimsiest of evidence or intelligence, historical factors that are 20/30/40 years out of date and when they can’t find a justification, they’ll just completely fabricate something (like Chesterfield a few years back). As for making it harder for the club to argue against, I’d like to see them try for once!

This whole thread, which has dragged on for half a week now, demonstrates why it’s so easy for football fans to have their rights taken away, en masse, and face poor treatment at the hands of the police - because people will justify anything if they think they’re better than the those they’re calling for action against. The thread’s been an illuminating, if depressing, exercise in dehumanising language, stereotyping, straw-man arguments and a weird form of classism.

Some seem to be justifying their abuse by stating it’s illegal to be on the pitch. Being drunk in a football ground is also illegal, but we have a thread on here every week talking about which pubs to visit. Should we start hammering everyone posting in there? I’d imagine almost everyone on here is guilty of that. Last year standing outside with 2 other people was illegal. If you think you can justify abusing people based on what’s legal or illegal this week or next, you’re on a slippery slope.

Nobody’s said pitch encroachment is fine, but people have asked for a bit more of a proportional response rather than the sentences being handed down from the Fishy kangaroo court where everyone who brushes a blade of grass shall be hung, drawn and quartered. Some of the strawman arguments on here are laughable - it’s some reach to go from someone being on the pitch (for 5 seconds, by about 2ft) to then “swinging for a steward” or “a nutter” getting on the pitch. Also saying “if one person does it, everyone will do it” sounds like the kind of argument you’d have with a 2-year-old. It’s an offence if one person or a thousand do it - it’s up to the authorities to police it and charge people if they want, it doesn’t become less of offence through the number of people doing it.

A lot of the behaviour - pulling nets, giving grief to stewards or club staff - is embarrassing and reminds me of that bullying attitude FC Utd had when they first started out and had stands full of Man Utd fans. But it would be a lot easier to weed that out if the reaction to every little infringement wasn’t the “shoot them and drown their kids” we get on here.
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 132
EvilFish
October 13, 2021, 9:26am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +597
Gold Stars: 52
I think Ska Face has this spot on. It's about a proportional response.

A little over exuberance and spilling temporarily onto the side of the pitch, jumping about for a few seconds, and then going back may technically be illegal, but it's a minor infraction.

Deliberately damaging the ground in whatever way is criminal damage, it also shows a distinct lack of class. That should be punished.

Actually crossing the white line onto the pitch should be punishable also. Although even that is about context - as others have pointed out, a full-scale end of season pitch invasion to celebrate promotion has no malice in it and should be taken in that context.

What I personally don't like to see is fans running on the pitching and running up to join the huddle of players in celebration. It's the players' celebration as a team - you aren't part of that team. So celebrate it with other fans, but not with the players - that's not your place and is out of order.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 132
lew chaterleys lover
October 13, 2021, 9:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,662
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from EvilFish
I think Ska Face has this spot on. It's about a proportional response.

A little over exuberance and spilling temporarily onto the side of the pitch, jumping about for a few seconds, and then going back may technically be illegal, but it's a minor infraction.

Deliberately damaging the ground in whatever way is criminal damage, it also shows a distinct lack of class. That should be punished.

Actually crossing the white line onto the pitch should be punishable also. Although even that is about context - as others have pointed out, a full-scale end of season pitch invasion to celebrate promotion has no malice in it and should be taken in that context.

What I personally don't like to see is fans running on the pitching and running up to join the huddle of players in celebration. It's the players' celebration as a team - you aren't part of that team. So celebrate it with other fans, but not with the players - that's not your place and is out of order.

You have contradicted yourself there haven't you? We should indeed celebrate with other fans - on our side of the barriers.  It is totally wrong for spectators to be on the field of play - ie over the barriers- for all sorts of reasons. There was a scourge of this sort of thing with football and cricket but that was decades ago. Let's not give people any more stick to beat the name of Grimsby with.
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 132
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grown men running on the pitch??

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.