16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
October 14, 2021, 7:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,668
Gold Stars: 226
They are not going down. They will bring in a new manager and a load of quality players in January. Then they will spend big in the summer.

But breaking into the top four is difficult even for owners with 250 billion in the pot. But in the long run they could outbid even the likes of Chelsea and City. The question is how much are they willing to spend. One billion is the table stake for this class of company. It's probably what the top four have spent on players over the last few years years.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 154
RonMariner
October 14, 2021, 7:33pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,668
Gold Stars: 226
According to the Manchester Evening News the top four have spent as follows in the last ten years:-

Man City   £1.42 Billion
Chelsea    £1.38 Billion
Man Utd    £1.09 Billion
Liverpool   £0.91 Billion

Ok, so all of the above clubs have received incoming transfer fees too, so the net figures will be lower. Bit still, it's a hell of chunk of change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 154
BottesfordMariner
October 14, 2021, 7:41pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Well I for one am already fed up listening to flipping Ne-Castle fans going on and on about how great they are and how rich they are.

Barely a week after the takeover and they havent even played a game yet. What a flipping obnoxious bunch of twits. They havent won anything yet but are already unbearable. iIstand by my earlier post...they will soon become the most detested club around (and not just by Sunderland fans)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 154
Maringer
October 14, 2021, 8:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from RonMariner
According to the Manchester Evening News the top four have spent as follows in the last ten years:-

Man City   £1.42 Billion
Chelsea    £1.38 Billion
Man Utd    £1.09 Billion
Liverpool   £0.91 Billion

Ok, so all of the above clubs have received incoming transfer fees too, so the net figures will be lower. Bit still, it's a hell of chunk of change.

A mere drop in the oilwell for a couple of those clubs. Manyoo loaded up with debt by the owners who are there to milk the fans for every penny. Liverpool probably the least dodgy of the lot, though of course the holding company which owns the club is incorporated in Delaware, the state which operates as a US tax haven.

Any other petro-states left looking for a bit of sportswashing, I wonder? If the West eventually drop sanctions on Iran, I suppose the Ayatollahs could be looking to buy that mid-sized Premiership club they've all supported since they were boys. Only kidding. No way that the sanctions on Iran will ever be dropped for as long as the Saudis have a say in things.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 154
KingstonMariner
October 14, 2021, 9:26pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
There’d be some big win bonuses on offer if an Iran owned club played Newcastle.

And the taunts from Newcastle: “you’re Shi’ites and you know you are.”

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 154
The Yard Dog
October 15, 2021, 12:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,498
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from RonMariner
They are not going down. They will bring in a new manager and a load of quality players in January. Then they will spend big in the summer.

But breaking into the top four is difficult even for owners with 250 billion in the pot. But in the long run they could outbid even the likes of Chelsea and City. The question is how much are they willing to spend. One billion is the table stake for this class of company. It's probably what the top four have spent on players over the last few years years.  

Money can only so much, money alone will not get Newcastle anywhere near the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea & Manchester City. They will need to get the balance right and will take time, bringing a load of quality players in Janauary, might work, but not guaranteed, spending big in the summer again will not guarantee success.

Agents are going to line up outside St James Park pushing their players, inflated wages demands, inflated transfer fees by clubs, buy-out clauses, players to pay off to make way, working within financial fair play.

Sounds great having unlimited funds, I can see alot of problems that comes with having unlimited funds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 154
Poojah
October 15, 2021, 12:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,485
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Money can only so much, money alone will not get Newcastle anywhere near the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea & Manchester City. They will need to get the balance right and will take time, bringing a load of quality players in Janauary, might work, but not guaranteed, spending big in the summer again will not guarantee success.

Agents are going to line up outside St James Park pushing their players, inflated wages demands, inflated transfer fees by clubs, buy-out clauses, players to pay off to make way, working within financial fair play.

Sounds great having unlimited funds, I can see alot of problems that comes with having unlimited funds.

One problem they're going to have, and in fact have already only without the gazillions to throw at it, is that by and large Newcastle isn't a particularly attractive place to live for young players and their wags.

It's a nice city, don't get me wrong, but it's geographically isolated so you've got what's there and little else. Money talks, of course it does - the likes of Marouane Fellaini didn't move to Shandong Province for the ambience, but I think it will be more difficult to attract top, top talent to the Geordies than it was for Chelsea, Citeh et al.

All that said, I don't greatly care. This isn't reverse snobbery, I do watch Premier League football, but I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned by the way money is distorting football at the top-level and beyond.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 154
KingstonMariner
October 15, 2021, 3:11pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

One problem they're going to have, and in fact have already only without the gazillions to throw at it, is that by and large Newcastle isn't a particularly attractive place to live for young players and their wags.

It's a nice city, don't get me wrong, but it's geographically isolated so you've got what's there and little else. Money talks, of course it does - the likes of Marouane Fellaini didn't move to Shandong Province for the ambience, but I think it will be more difficult to attract top, top talent to the Geordies than it was for Chelsea, Citeh et al.

All that said, I don't greatly care. This isn't reverse snobbery, I do watch Premier League football, but I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned by the way money is distorting football at the top-level and beyond.

There's plenty to do outside Newcastle if you like the great outdoors. Whether that's going to attract football's elite players or not I couldn't say.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 154
Poojah
October 15, 2021, 4:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,485
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from KingstonMariner

There's plenty to do outside Newcastle if you like the great outdoors. Whether that's going to attract football's elite players or not I couldn't say.

Put it this way, Louis Vuitton wellies aren't for rambling.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 154
KingstonMariner
October 15, 2021, 4:27pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Put it this way, Louis Vuitton wellies aren't for rambling.

There was a Geordie girl on that rambling programme the other week (the one where they give each other points) and she was in stuff like that.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 154
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Newcastle

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.