KingstonMariner
October 13, 2021, 7:00pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 154
Poojah
October 13, 2021, 7:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,428
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from Maringer
To be fair, Leeds' only recent trophy is from 30 years ago...

Your comment got me going there, as for a second I was thinking “you’re talking shìt mate, they won the league when I was a kid”. Then the penny dropped, that was 30 years ago.

For some reason, my brain has a hard time processing that the 90s didn’t end recently. I think it might be something to do with the new millennium, in so much my head treats it as a long decade instead, so in that sense I will live my entire life with Euro 96, Oasis and Tamagotchi’s only just in the rear view mirror.

Just me?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 154
RonMariner
October 13, 2021, 7:14pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,542
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Poojah

Your comment got me going there, as for a second I was thinking “you’re talking shìt mate, they won the league when I was a kid”. Then the penny dropped, that was 30 years ago.

For some reason, my brain has a hard time processing that the 90s didn’t end recently. I think I might be something to do with the new millennium, in so much my head treats it as a long decade instead, so in that sense I will live my entire life with Euro 96, Oasis and Tamagotchi’s only just in the rear view mirror.

Just me?

Yes just you. I never got past The Beatles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 154
KingstonMariner
October 13, 2021, 7:15pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

For some reason, my brain has a hard time processing that the 90s didn’t end recently. I think I might be something to do with the new millennium, in so much my head treats it as a long decade instead, so in that sense I will live my entire life with Euro 96, Oasis and Tamagotchi’s only just in the rear view mirror.

Just me?

No. That Bromley fan with his hair curtains is still in the 90s.

But don’t worry. Things can only get better.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 154
RonMariner
October 13, 2021, 7:17pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,542
Gold Stars: 224
I predict they will buy Kane and Sterling in the January window. Maybe Stones and Phillips too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 154
ginnywings
October 13, 2021, 8:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Makes me glad I'm a Town fan and we have a club that is part of the community and owners that want to strengthen those community ties.

What a contrast between Newcastle and the likes of Rochdale. The speed at which the top and bottom of the game is drifting apart is staggering.

Reflects society in general sadly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 154
KingstonMariner
October 13, 2021, 10:49pm
Meths Drinker
And what’s going on in football isn’t even the serious side effect of rising inequality.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 154
The Yard Dog
October 13, 2021, 11:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from RonMariner
I predict they will buy Kane and Sterling in the January window. Maybe Stones and Phillips too.

Will Kane & Sterling be happy playing Championship football, because thats Newcastle's first challenge staying in the Premiership.

All this talk by Newcastle fans and pundits, who could be coming through the doors, could unsettle the current players, knowing thet days are numbered, hardly going to motivate them.

To attract the best players, Newcastle we need to playing in Champions League, cannot see that happening in the near future.

So basically apart maybe 3/4 players, Newcastle need to replace its whole squad, thats not going to be easy, shifting all those players and bringing better players, without the lure of European football.

Going to have to pay over inflated fees and wages, yes money no object, but throwing money does not guarantee success.  Manchester United have not won the league since 2013, top managers have come and gone and a small fortune has been spent on players and wages. Man United are in a far better situation then Newcastle are and still are someway behind Man City, Liverpool & Chelsea.

Recipe for a disaster

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 154
aldi_01
October 14, 2021, 5:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
This notion of instant success is odd to say the least but as I keep saying, Newcastle fans are half the problem; an over inflated view of their club based on some big gates.

They will attract big players eventually because we know that money talks, I understand that to some extent but it’s the arrogance and the instantaneous response they’re expecting that’s baffling.

It took City and Chelsea a period of time before they started getting close to winning titles and the like, I don’t understand how a club with zero pedigree for success, a club that not so long ago wasn’t even part of murmurings for a European super league now thinks it’s going to be in the champions league…all very odd.

As a Newcastle fan I wouldn’t be happy with this take over, not because of the possible disconnect and money bags approach that will develop but actually the very people that have bought them…when someone buys your club that’s more morally corrupt than Ashley then I’m not sure you’ve moved on…

It’s all a bit suspicious but intercourse all we can do…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 154
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Newcastle

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.