GollyGTFC
October 7, 2021, 9:12pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
There's a wider issue of course.

Replacing an unpopular owner with an owner who kills and chops up journalists in other countries, denies women's rights and runs a country based on a royal family who are autocratic, authoritarian and theocratic (when it suits them).

Some of the Newcastle fans don't want this.

It is something of a challenge to the FA's 'fit and proper test'

Sorry, but it’s not football’s job to be the ethical and moral leaders of the country. We trade with Saudi. We sell them arms. If we’re going to take a stand against Saudi Arabia and some of the things they represent I suggest we start there rather than sport.

I think within 3 years Newcastle will be part of an expanded Big 5 with Chelsea, Liverpool, United & City.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 154
Limerick Mariner
October 7, 2021, 9:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from The Yard Dog
Could not give a toss, they is only one team that plays in black & white worth supporting and that team is Grimsby Town.

Maybe Brigg Town if we don't have a game...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 154
wuffing
October 7, 2021, 9:26pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +835
Gold Stars: 38
Thank goodness for Grimsby Town

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 154
RichMariner
October 7, 2021, 9:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Sorry, but it’s not football’s job to be the ethical and moral leaders of the country. We trade with Saudi. We sell them arms. If we’re going to take a stand against Saudi Arabia and some of the things they represent I suggest we start there rather than sport.

I think within 3 years Newcastle will be part of an expanded Big 5 with Chelsea, Liverpool, United & City.

It might not be football's job to be the ethical and moral leaders of the country but given the popularity and accessibility of it, it wouldn't hurt if it tried.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 23 - 154
ska face
October 7, 2021, 9:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,625
Gold Stars: 840
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Football, specifically the PL, is a multi-billion pound industry, one of the country’s largest and most popular exports and with football teams forming the biggest cultural and civic institutions in most towns and cities. Reducing that to some helpless, harmless group of people kicking a bag of wind does a huge disservice to the power and influence that football plays nationally and globally. Why do you think these regimes buy football clubs in the first place, because they’re a good investment? Because they like bovril and balti pies?

These despotic regimes must be challenged and opposed at every level that they operate and wherever they pervade our society. These people have a hand in almost everything you touch nowadays and no, not enough people care to do anything about it. Then again, the last person to stand up against Newcastle’s new owners ended up murdered and cut up into small pieces. Funny that.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 154
KingstonMariner
October 7, 2021, 9:54pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I’d hate it if some outfit like this took over Town. The state here won’t do anything that jeopardises business with the Saudis, so who is?  Cultural organisations, that’s who. Cultural organisations, one of which is the FA, represent our values. Quite apart from how they desk with internal opposition and human rights, they have exported, sponsored even, a nasty brand of Islam that inspires terrorists who murder people. That’s before we get on to Yemen.

If I was a Geordie, I wouldn’t be happy about this.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 154
Mariner93er
October 7, 2021, 9:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Newcastle will be the new Manchester City. Apparently the wealth of their backers is circa 250 billion which dwarfs even Manchester City and psg, so don’t be surprised if they start making some eye raising signings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 154
LH
October 7, 2021, 10:24pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,497
Gold Stars: 173
Nothing says getting your club back quite like having it sold to a royal family from an oil-rich foreign state with a shocking human rights record.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 154
chaos33
October 7, 2021, 10:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from WesternMariner

If UK plc can sell the Saudis helicopter gunships, fighter jets, bullets and bombs why shouldn’t they invest in one of our football clubs?

Sadly, that’s right.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 154
Limerick Mariner
October 7, 2021, 11:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
Just one more reason not to watch PL "football" for me.

When's NUFC Womens team going to do a tour to play in Saudi then...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 154
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Newcastle

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.