Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 7, 2021, 3:06pm
An awfully familiar ownership situation appears to be coming to a head, another long-standing unpopular owner on the way out.
Posted by: goldenfish, October 7, 2021, 3:11pm; Reply: 1
Would love Newcastle to put a cat amongst this pigeons , and rival the ‘ big 6 ‘ spending power … which of course is a big no no … and they play in decent colours !
Posted by: aldi_01, October 7, 2021, 3:12pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from MuddyWaters
An awfully familiar ownership situation appears to be coming to a head, another long-standing unpopular owner on the way out.

Unpopular he is but I’m not sure he can be classed the same as Fenty.

Let’s face it, Newcastle fans bizarrely think they’re in the same discussion as Liverpool, Utd and Chelsea when in reality they’ve little success.

I’m not convinced an ownership change will make a difference at Newcastle until the fans remove their giant chip and falsified image of themselves…
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 7, 2021, 3:29pm; Reply: 3
There's a wider issue of course.

Replacing an unpopular owner with an owner who kills and chops up journalists in other countries, denies women's rights and runs a country based on a royal family who are autocratic, authoritarian and theocratic (when it suits them).

Some of the Newcastle fans don't want this.

It is something of a challenge to the FA's 'fit and proper test'
Posted by: Yossarian, October 7, 2021, 5:33pm; Reply: 4
Wise words at the top of the article.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/07/the-fiver-newcastle-united-saudi-arabia
Posted by: WesternMariner, October 7, 2021, 5:37pm; Reply: 5

Replacing an unpopular owner with an owner who kills and chops up journalists in other countries, denies women's rights and runs a country based on a royal family who are autocratic, authoritarian and theocratic (when it suits them).

If UK plc can sell the Saudis helicopter gunships, fighter jets, bullets and bombs why shouldn’t they invest in one of our football clubs?
Posted by: DB, October 7, 2021, 5:44pm; Reply: 6
Best thing about Newcastle is

Newcastle Brown8) 8) 8)
Posted by: ska face, October 7, 2021, 5:50pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from WesternMariner

If UK plc can sell the Saudis helicopter gunships, fighter jets, bullets and bombs why shouldn’t they invest in one of our football clubs?

Probably advisable not to set your moral compass with the British State as a baseline…
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 7, 2021, 5:55pm; Reply: 8

Who runs PIF? Mohammed bin Bruce?
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 7, 2021, 6:05pm; Reply: 9
The entire Newcastle squad are busy making plans with their agents for where they’ll be playing next season
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 7, 2021, 6:17pm; Reply: 10

Who runs PIF? Mohammed bin Bruce?

Hilariously PIF stands for Public Investment Fund which the FA is satisfied is not run by the state, according to their statement this afternoon.

In an authoritarian, autocratic state who is the 'Public' in PIF if it isn't the state?

The FA, Ashley and the business side of NUFC just don't give a sh*t where the money comes from as long as it comes.
Posted by: immariner, October 7, 2021, 6:36pm; Reply: 11
More state-sponsored sportswashing. Gotta love the FA, got the game's best interests at heart.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 7, 2021, 6:45pm; Reply: 12
It stinks. That is all.
Posted by: golfer, October 7, 2021, 6:51pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from ginnywings
It stinks. That is all.

Everything stinks where that sort of money is concerned
Posted by: WetFlannel, October 7, 2021, 7:02pm; Reply: 14
To be honest, whilst I’m not a fan of the Saudi government or sportswashing, the other side of this is that the PIF are alleged to be investing a lot into the infrastructure and local economy of the North East, a region which is one of the poorest in Western Europe. This doesn’t make the Saudis okay, or me excited to be welcoming more sportswashing, it mostly makes me sad that some communities in Britain are so ignored that it takes literal oil dictatorships for them to get a hint of investment. I wouldn’t want such owners anywhere near Grimsby, and yet if we were promised investment that we’ve not seen from our own government in generations, it’d almost seem worth it.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 7, 2021, 7:16pm; Reply: 15
https://twitter.com/jstockwood/status/1446145075722039299?t=TB6vQg_ukVoZ7z9uycLNdA&s=19
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 7, 2021, 7:19pm; Reply: 16
Well if it stops their support whinging about how bad things are then it works for me.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 7, 2021, 7:24pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Well if it stops their support whinging about how bad things are then it works for me.

It won’t.

Whilst I’d like to think some geordies will be embarrassed by this, plenty will be buzzing their flabby man mammaries off…until they still don’t compete and they’ll soon be wanting King Kev back to win them absolutely nothing…
Posted by: Azimuth, October 7, 2021, 7:38pm; Reply: 18
No interest whatsoever in this or any other premier league club billionaire plaything, I prefer my local team whatever league we play in.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, October 7, 2021, 8:20pm; Reply: 19
Could not give a toss, they is only one team that plays in black & white worth supporting and that team is Grimsby Town.

Posted by: GollyGTFC, October 7, 2021, 9:12pm; Reply: 20

Sorry, but it’s not football’s job to be the ethical and moral leaders of the country. We trade with Saudi. We sell them arms. If we’re going to take a stand against Saudi Arabia and some of the things they represent I suggest we start there rather than sport.

I think within 3 years Newcastle will be part of an expanded Big 5 with Chelsea, Liverpool, United & City.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, October 7, 2021, 9:16pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from The Yard Dog
Could not give a toss, they is only one team that plays in black & white worth supporting and that team is Grimsby Town.

Maybe Brigg Town if we don't have a game...

Posted by: wuffing, October 7, 2021, 9:26pm; Reply: 22
Thank goodness for Grimsby Town
Posted by: RichMariner, October 7, 2021, 9:28pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Sorry, but it’s not football’s job to be the ethical and moral leaders of the country. We trade with Saudi. We sell them arms. If we’re going to take a stand against Saudi Arabia and some of the things they represent I suggest we start there rather than sport.

I think within 3 years Newcastle will be part of an expanded Big 5 with Chelsea, Liverpool, United & City.

It might not be football's job to be the ethical and moral leaders of the country but given the popularity and accessibility of it, it wouldn't hurt if it tried.
Posted by: ska face, October 7, 2021, 9:49pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Football, specifically the PL, is a multi-billion pound industry, one of the country’s largest and most popular exports and with football teams forming the biggest cultural and civic institutions in most towns and cities. Reducing that to some helpless, harmless group of people kicking a bag of wind does a huge disservice to the power and influence that football plays nationally and globally. Why do you think these regimes buy football clubs in the first place, because they’re a good investment? Because they like bovril and balti pies?

These despotic regimes must be challenged and opposed at every level that they operate and wherever they pervade our society. These people have a hand in almost everything you touch nowadays and no, not enough people care to do anything about it. Then again, the last person to stand up against Newcastle’s new owners ended up murdered and cut up into small pieces. Funny that.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 7, 2021, 9:54pm; Reply: 25
I’d hate it if some outfit like this took over Town. The state here won’t do anything that jeopardises business with the Saudis, so who is?  Cultural organisations, that’s who. Cultural organisations, one of which is the FA, represent our values. Quite apart from how they desk with internal opposition and human rights, they have exported, sponsored even, a nasty brand of Islam that inspires terrorists who murder people. That’s before we get on to Yemen.

If I was a Geordie, I wouldn’t be happy about this.
Posted by: Mariner93er, October 7, 2021, 9:57pm; Reply: 26
Newcastle will be the new Manchester City. Apparently the wealth of their backers is circa 250 billion which dwarfs even Manchester City and psg, so don’t be surprised if they start making some eye raising signings.
Posted by: LH, October 7, 2021, 10:24pm; Reply: 27
Nothing says getting your club back quite like having it sold to a royal family from an oil-rich foreign state with a shocking human rights record.
Posted by: chaos33, October 7, 2021, 10:32pm; Reply: 28

Sadly, that’s right.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, October 7, 2021, 11:59pm; Reply: 29
Just one more reason not to watch PL "football" for me.

When's NUFC Womens team going to do a tour to play in Saudi then...

Posted by: DB, October 8, 2021, 3:38am; Reply: 30
I wonder when the penny will drop in Newcastle. The fans may be drunk with joy at getting rid of Mike Ashley but they have now got owners who do not care two hoots about some city in the Nort East of England.

Yes, they will invest heavily but then they will want a return on their money. Be it from the fans or making Newcastle an international brand. Others have done it and they want a slice of the action, football is just the means of making money, and not what happens on the pitch or in the community.

Thankfully 1878 take a different viewpoint and want to create a community club.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, October 8, 2021, 7:42am; Reply: 31
Quoted from DB
I wonder when the penny will drop in Newcastle. The fans may be drunk with joy at getting rid of Mike Ashley but they have now got owners who do not care two hoots about some city in the Nort East of England.

Yes, they will invest heavily but then they will want a return on their money. Be it from the fans or making Newcastle an international brand. Others have done it and they want a slice of the action, football is just the means of making money, and not what happens on the pitch or in the community.

Thankfully 1878 take a different viewpoint and want to create a community club.

Take a look at what the Man City owners have done for that part of East Manchester and tell me they haven’t played a huge part in the community. It’s a lazy criticism to say a foreign owner won’t have an interest in the wider community at Newcastle.

The Saudi’s haven’t bought Newcastle because they think it’s a good investment. Just like City, Newcastle will be a public relations exercise and any success they have will help promote the Saudi brand. But what will also promote the Saudi brand is (like City) being seen as a big player is the Tyneside community. I guess we’ll see.

Saudi Arabia is slowly coming out of the dark ages. Now isn’t the time to make them international pariahs. There are far worst regimes around the world including one that this country and our allies inflicted on Afghanistan.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 8, 2021, 7:52am; Reply: 32
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Take a look at what the Man City owners have done for that part of East Manchester and tell me they haven’t played a huge part in the community. It’s a lazy criticism to say a foreign owner won’t have an interest in the wider community at Newcastle.

The Saudi’s haven’t bought Newcastle because they think it’s a good investment. Just like City, Newcastle will be a public relations exercise and any success they have will help promote the Saudi brand. But what will also promote the Saudi brand is (like City) being seen as a big player is the Tyneside community. I guess we’ll see.

Saudi Arabia is slowly coming out of the dark ages. Now isn’t the time to make them international pariahs. There are far worst regimes around the world including one that this country and our allies inflicted on Afghanistan.

Coming out the dark ages? That maybe the promotional material but they’re still very ouch the puppet masters of so much…there’s an excellent documentary about the Saudi regime and royal family.

I do agree with the notion that they don’t care about the area being a lazy and ill informed view. The area around Man City has improved greatly and there’s been genuine investment, is it to raise the owners profile and make them even more rich? Perhaps but nobody made them invest in those developments. The same will happen with Newcastle but I’m still not convinced they’ll end up eating at the top table so to speak…
Posted by: WetFlannel, October 8, 2021, 8:03am; Reply: 33
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Agreed, I’m genuinely impressed with the work City have done in Manchester. They do a lot more for the local community than their red neighbours and you can see the impact on the city as a whole. That doesn’t mean we should all be jumping for joy praising the Emiratis for their ‘gracious investment’, but City’s role as a ‘community club’ has, surprisingly, improved since they were taken over. That’s kind of part of the beast of sportswashing, they want to be seen to be doing good things in the community and things which are relatively inexpensive for their regime, such as spending a few million improving local infrastructure, goes a long way. As I mentioned in my earlier post, this is by no means me claiming such projects are amazing or an overall moral positive, it’s just that one of the side effects is that there tends to be good investment.

The one thing that really frustrates me about it is people acting like this is some harbinger of doom for Britain, as if we’re our economies are not already deeply aligned with the Middle Eastern petrostates. Hell, the country who’s government we scorn are our allies, who buy weapons from us and have investments in a large number of the FTSE 500. It might seem like whataboutery, but the truth is that the Saudis have been an integral part of the British economy for years, if we wanted to put a stop to it, it could’ve stopped a long time before PIF invested in an underachieving football club.
Posted by: NorfolkImp, October 8, 2021, 9:00am; Reply: 34
I particularly like all these 'Newcastle are a big club whose fans deserve success' types that are popping up everywhere?

Have they forgotten the 7,134 that bothered to turn up at St James's Park back in 1979, or the 9,419 in 1982 or the 10,057 in 1992?
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 8, 2021, 9:04am; Reply: 35
Quoted from WetFlannel

Agreed, I’m genuinely impressed with the work City have done in Manchester. They do a lot more for the local community than their red neighbours and you can see the impact on the city as a whole. That doesn’t mean we should all be jumping for joy praising the Emiratis for their ‘gracious investment’, but City’s role as a ‘community club’ has, surprisingly, improved since they were taken over. That’s kind of part of the beast of sportswashing, they want to be seen to be doing good things in the community and things which are relatively inexpensive for their regime, such as spending a few million improving local infrastructure, goes a long way. As I mentioned in my earlier post, this is by no means me claiming such projects are amazing or an overall moral positive, it’s just that one of the side effects is that there tends to be good investment.

The one thing that really frustrates me about it is people acting like this is some harbinger of doom for Britain, as if we’re our economies are not already deeply aligned with the Middle Eastern petrostates. Hell, the country who’s government we scorn are our allies, who buy weapons from us and have investments in a large number of the FTSE 500. It might seem like whataboutery, but the truth is that the Saudis have been an integral part of the British economy for years, if we wanted to put a stop to it, it could’ve stopped a long time before PIF invested in an underachieving football club.

Good points, well expressed.

But there's almost a need to weigh the good versus the bad. Even if the Saudis do the same in Newcastle as the Emiratis have done in Manchester does that outweigh or 'forgive' the human rights abuses, the totalitarianism and the export and support of Wahabism? I would suggest not.

The Emiratis are not the same as the Saudis, the UAE is a lot more liberal and a lot more 'free' as a society. It is far from perfect but it is not Saudi Arabia.

Several posters have said things like 'why should football be a moral leader' or 'not bothered, it's in the Prem' and I really understand those points but if governments or our 'leaders' aren't taking a stand then somebody has to or this becomes the norm, it goes completely unchecked and us 'little people' lose our game even more. Ironically it's happened recently with the outpouring of anger over the Super League and it hit home! And it's happened to us on a smaller scale; the unmasking of Alex May was the tipping point for many of our fans who were prepared to give Fenty the benefit of the doubt previously.

And this is not isolated, several clubs already have people involved in them who have very dubious backgrounds but a blind eye is turned because of the amount of money being pumped into clubs.

Football's moral compass is already kept in a drawer in the spare bedroom and doesn't come out very often. The deal to buy Newcastle will see it thrown away completely.
Posted by: Caveman, October 8, 2021, 9:29am; Reply: 36
Newcastle !

Would be a nice 3rd Round Cup draw  

Maybe a Sheikh or two at Blundell Park.
Posted by: RonMariner, October 8, 2021, 9:43am; Reply: 37
Would imagine Bruce will be first out the door. What odds Jose M taking over? And what odds they buy Kane in January?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 8, 2021, 9:44am; Reply: 38
I have to say the coverage in the last 24 hours has really got on my mammaries. It’s not like their club has been saved from the edge of extinction, if memory serves me right all barring two seasons most of the Ashley resign has been in the Premier league, though they have smaller support bases there are a number of supporters of lower league clubs who have had it much worse.

Everyone in the media seems to assume that NUFC are everyone’s second favourite team, I’m not sure this is the case. I also love the way some of their supporters are saying they’re not bothered about big signings etc.. well that’s bull sh1t if I ever heard it.

I’m pleased for their supporters that they have got rid of their version of JSF but I’m not convinced the media need to bug it up, then again they have to report something don’t they and I guess it’s better than the fuel crisis, petrol supplies, food poverty, £20 cut in Universal Credit, nobody to drive lorries etc… etc… etc…
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 8, 2021, 9:47am; Reply: 39
Quoted from Caveman
Newcastle !

Would be a nice 3rd Round Cup draw  

Maybe a Sheikh or two at Blundell Park.

Away it would be.
Posted by: RonMariner, October 8, 2021, 9:51am; Reply: 40
I’m glad they didn’t buy Scunthorpe!!
Posted by: Grimsbynewhope, October 8, 2021, 10:06am; Reply: 41

I wonder how many people complaining about the takeover are closet big six fans and are really just concerned about more competition
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, October 8, 2021, 10:21am; Reply: 42
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I reckon they'll be buying into a repeated attempt at getting a European Super League going which undoubtedly is going to happen.

Posted by: RonMariner, October 8, 2021, 10:21am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Grimsbynewhope

I wonder how many people complaining about the takeover are closet big six fans and are really just concerned about more competition

I think the big 6 might be about to become the big 5 with Arsenal and Spurs just also rans unable to compete financially.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 8, 2021, 10:23am; Reply: 44
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I have to say the coverage in the last 24 hours has really got on my mammaries. It’s not like their club has been saved from the edge of extinction, if memory serves me right all barring two seasons most of the Ashley resign has been in the Premier league, though they have smaller support bases there are a number of supporters of lower league clubs who have had it much worse.

Everyone in the media seems to assume that NUFC are everyone’s second favourite team, I’m not sure this is the case. I also love the way some of their supporters are saying they’re not bothered about big signings etc.. well that’s bull sh1t if I ever heard it.

I’m pleased for their supporters that they have got rid of their version of JSF but I’m not convinced the media need to bug it up, then again they have to report something don’t they and I guess it’s better than the fuel crisis, petrol supplies, food poverty, £20 cut in Universal Credit, nobody to drive lorries etc… etc… etc…

I agree, it's this whole 'Newcastle is a massive club' sh*t but they haven't won anything for bloody years.

It's like Liverpool and Man Utd calling the years when they didn't win a trophy the Crisis Years or whatever.

A sense of perspective.
Posted by: buckstown, October 8, 2021, 10:33am; Reply: 45
Have to say, despite the fact that they're in the premier league the comparisons with the Fenty reign are relevant in my opinion.
It's been about putting the minimum in to get the maximum out, and the objective is to survive in the premier league. Every now and then when you set out to finish fourth bottom it goes wrong but they always bounce back quickly.
I lived up there for 8 years and the club is an institution, the potential is huge with the right leadership. It's just a bigger version of GTFC and the transition from Fenty to JS/AP may be an indicator of what it's like going from MA to whoever now owns Newcastle
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 8, 2021, 11:15am; Reply: 46
Quoted from NorfolkImp
I particularly like all these 'Newcastle are a big club whose fans deserve success' types that are popping up everywhere?

Have they forgotten the 7,134 that bothered to turn up at St James's Park back in 1979, or the 9,419 in 1982 or the 10,057 in 1992?

Coming from a Lincoln supporter this is hilarious referencing old attendances.
Posted by: NorfolkImp, October 8, 2021, 11:51am; Reply: 47
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Coming from a Lincoln supporter this is hilarious referencing old attendances.

When have I ever stated that Lincoln are a big club?

Then again averaging over 16,700 in the early 50’s isn’t to be sniffed at.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 8, 2021, 11:54am; Reply: 48
Quoted from NorfolkImp

When have I ever stated that Lincoln are a big club?

Then again averaging over 16,700 in the early 50’s isn’t to be sniffed at.

You didn’t but your attendances where p1ss poor before Clive Nates came in and to his and the club’s credit transformed things.
Posted by: StaffsMariner, October 8, 2021, 12:55pm; Reply: 49
Just another page to add to the Pandora papers.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, October 8, 2021, 1:01pm; Reply: 50
Missing a penalty is punishable by stoning…
Posted by: Maringer, October 8, 2021, 1:10pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from DB
Best thing about Newcastle is

Tadcaster Brown8) 8) 8)

Fixed it for you.  ;)

Not a fan of the stuff, it must be said. Very much overrated. If I was having a Tadcaster beer, I'd prefer Sam Smith's Pale Ale.

The villagers of Newcastle will no doubt be delighted with their new owners, at least until the point that pitch invasions start to be punished by amputations.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 8, 2021, 2:04pm; Reply: 52
If they have 250 billion, is there a link to scouts watching our games? Lol

Saudi money is dirty. TalkSPORT said today that they invest in Disney and Uber.  This does not make it right though.

Ironic that Newcastle have struggled for 16 years.  They sacked Bobby Robson when they were 4th or 5th in the Prem,   Not the best decision in hindsight.  

We had our famous league win at Newcastle with our last minute Dobbin goal.  I was there in the 80s when we beat them in the FA Cup,  
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 8, 2021, 2:04pm; Reply: 53
If they have 250 billion, is there a link to scouts watching our games? Lol

Saudi money is dirty. TalkSPORT said today that they invest in Disney and Uber.  This does not make it right though.

Ironic that Newcastle have struggled for 16 years.  They sacked Bobby Robson when they were 4th or 5th in the Prem,   Not the best decision in hindsight.  

We had our famous league win at Newcastle with our last minute Dobbin goal.  I was there in the 80s when we beat them in the FA Cup,  
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 8, 2021, 2:08pm; Reply: 54
David Conn (@david_conn) and The Guardian are now reporting that the PIF that purchased Newcastle is in fact a Saudi sovereign wealth fund chaired by Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman.

The PIF owned the plane used by the assassins who killed (and chopped up) the journalist Khashoggi in Turkey.

The FA is satisfied that the Saudi regime will not be involved in the running of Newcastle United.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 8, 2021, 2:30pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Maringer

Fixed it for you.  ;)

Not a fan of the stuff, it must be said. Very much overrated. If I was having a Tadcaster beer, I'd prefer Sam Smith's Pale Ale.

The villagers of Newcastle will no doubt be delighted with their new owners, at least until the point that pitch invasions start to be punished by amputations.

If we're trying to be ethical I'd give Sam Smiths pubs and beers a wide berth. He's never murdered any dissident journalists but he is notorious for treating his staff abysmally.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, October 8, 2021, 2:53pm; Reply: 56
It may not happen straight away but presumably Newcastle will be competing for trophies in the next 2 or 3 seasons.

There is a reality that it will take a bit of time to totally transform the squad. The irony is that Newcastle fans have been critical of teams like Chelsea the Manchester City buying success. Now they think they have a chance it's all ok.

Newcastle will be the next most hated team.
Posted by: LH, October 8, 2021, 3:03pm; Reply: 57
They weren’t already? Probably the club in the PL with the most misplaced opinion of themselves. Not won anything in a lifetime but think they deserve it because they’ve got loads of fans.
Posted by: mimma, October 8, 2021, 3:03pm; Reply: 58
Large areas of London are owned by Saudis, then there's Abromovitch with links to Putin, no one ever moaned about that, so why try to stop them taking over Newcastle? If we are going to take the moral high ground now it's too bloody late!
Posted by: GollyGTFC, October 8, 2021, 3:13pm; Reply: 59
[tweet]1446406322057011218[/tweet]
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 8, 2021, 3:20pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from GollyGTFC

As long as they’re discussing it and not planning to throw him out of it.
Posted by: Gaffer58, October 8, 2021, 3:35pm; Reply: 61
The big 6 will be ensuring Newcastle follow FFP rules, they will hate the thought of another club grabbing the European cash etc.
Posted by: golfer, October 8, 2021, 4:10pm; Reply: 62
The Saudis wont be able to understand what they are saying so the Geordies will have to learn Arabic.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, October 8, 2021, 4:41pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from mimma
Large areas of London are owned by Saudis, then there's Abromovitch with links to Putin, no one ever moaned about that, so why try to stop them taking over Newcastle? If we are going to take the moral high ground now it's too bloody late!

Of course it is, and I can do nothing about it so I just ignore the Premier League and the Champions League for that matter.

Football is much more a proper sport at our level than the willy-waving owners with their subbuteo sets in the Premier League.

I'd really love it if NUFC women's team did something to wind up the Saudi owners on womens rights. Stand outside St James in their bras and knickers banging saucepans as the sky fairy fascists are going into St James's...

Posted by: wuffing, October 8, 2021, 6:16pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Probably discussing bits and pieces........

Posted by: golfer, October 8, 2021, 7:56pm; Reply: 65
Dave Clark Five
Posted by: aldi_01, October 8, 2021, 7:59pm; Reply: 66
I wonder how many Newcastle fans have spent years bleating on about big clubs spunking cash galore and the likes…
Posted by: mimma, October 8, 2021, 9:58pm; Reply: 67
Needs to be careful going to their embassy,  look at what happened to that journalist!
Posted by: gtfc98, October 8, 2021, 10:33pm; Reply: 68
The replies along the lines of "don't care, only team in black and white I care about is GTFC" are pretty naïve. Do people really think this takeover has no adverse impact on clubs at our level? The reverberations of these kinds of takeovers as they become more and more prevalent can only be a bad thing for us. Premier League clubs think they have the divine right to everything, we've already seen it from the likes of that mammary at Manchester City who claims it's in the "best interests of english premier league football" for u23 teams to be entered into the pyramid. The more of this obscene money that flows into the top of the game, the thicker the end of this wedge gets. How long do we think the FL can realistically hold out for in stopping this from happening? The pressure is only going to build.

All of this is problematic enough without even getting into where the money even comes from. How on earth the premier league can be satisfied that the "Public Interest Fund" of Saudi Arabia isn't state controlled is completely beyond me. The reactions of Newcastle Fans, Sky Sports, Talk Sport etc is also stomach churning. Newcastle fans claiming they've "got their club back". Have they? I think this will take it further away from them, and even if they have got their club back at what cost? Yeah maybe they'll sign Neymar and Inge Haaland but the people who pumping the money in stone gay people to death in the streets, don't let women get an education, work or even drive, chop off limbs for petty crimes, etc etc. I'd rather be flitting between the bottom of the Premier League and the top of the Championship than winning a soulless European Super league with games being played all over the world (They really think they won't want some games in the middle east?) and selling out to these monsters.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 8, 2021, 10:35pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from gtfc98
The replies along the lines of "don't care, only team in black and white I care about is GTFC" are pretty naïve. Do people really think this takeover has no adverse impact on clubs at our level? The reverberations of these kinds of takeovers as they become more and more prevalent can only be a bad thing for us. Premier League clubs think they have the divine right to everything, we've already seen it from the likes of that mammary at Manchester City who claims it's in the "best interests of english premier league football" for u23 teams to be entered into the pyramid. The more of this obscene money that flows into the top of the game, the thicker the end of this wedge gets. How long do we think the FL can realistically hold out for in stopping this from happening? The pressure is only going to build.

All of this is problematic enough without even getting into where the money even comes from. How on earth the premier league can be satisfied that the "Public Interest Fund" of Saudi Arabia isn't state controlled is completely beyond me. The reactions of Newcastle Fans, Sky Sports, Talk Sport etc is also stomach churning. Newcastle fans claiming they've "got their club back". Have they? I think this will take it further away from them, and even if they have got their club back at what cost? Yeah maybe they'll sign Neymar and Inge Haaland but the people who pumping the money in stone gay people to death in the streets, don't let women get an education, work or even drive, chop off limbs for petty crimes, etc etc. I'd rather be flitting between the bottom of the Premier League and the top of the Championship than winning a soulless European Super league with games being played all over the world (They really think they won't want some games in the middle east?) and selling out to these monsters.

I’ve met a fair few Newcastle fans and whilst the odd one is sensible and probably a bit embarrassed by this take over, the rest have probably been half the issue.

A deluded expectation of their club and they’re just embarrassing themselves saying things like ‘we’ve got our club back’…wonder if they’ll say that when they change the badge in the summer. Christ, they kicked off when Ashley dared take down some old pictures…
Posted by: WetFlannel, October 8, 2021, 10:40pm; Reply: 70
By the way, there is a lot of Western chauvinism toward the way a lot of people talk about Saudi Arabia. Their government is awful and I loathe them, but at the same time I feel like people can say whatever they want about Saudi Arabia (such as claiming they don’t allow women to get an education or work) and everyone just nods and agrees. Kinda like how a lot of the people complaining on social media about LGBT rights in Saudi Arabia have absolutely no interest in LGBT rights unless it’s to mock countries such as Saudi Arabia. Some of these same people then told Newcastle’s LGBT fan group how to feel, after they released what I thought was quite a measured, reasonable response
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 8, 2021, 10:44pm; Reply: 71

I've done the Newcastle stadium tour, my wife is from Whitley Bay.

Massive club, I'd put them on par with Leeds, big one city clubs.
Posted by: WetFlannel, October 8, 2021, 10:51pm; Reply: 72
Definitely put them above Leeds. Leeds and Grimsby both have one thing in common… we’ve spent more years in the second tier than in any other tier of the football league!
Posted by: ginnywings, October 8, 2021, 11:52pm; Reply: 73
pot... kettle... black...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/08/angry-premier-league-clubs-demand-emergency-meeting-on-newcastle-deal
Posted by: scarthotownfan, October 9, 2021, 12:28am; Reply: 74
Quoted from promotion plaice

I've done the Newcastle stadium tour, my wife is from Whitley Bay.

Massive club, I'd put them on par with Leeds, big one city clubs.

Not much between them. I reckon Leeds are the better investment. City is bigger and more potential. Prolly connect to HS2.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 9, 2021, 7:14am; Reply: 75
Quoted from scarthotownfan

Not much between them. I reckon Leeds are the better investment. City is bigger and more potential. Prolly connect to HS2.

If you’re choosing clubs on success then surely Leeds are the winner there?

Newcastle is a one club city and literally the only success they’ve had is getting relatively big crowds consistently. They had one chance of winning the league many moons ago and Keegan did his usual and bottled it. Utd sat back and watched them collapse…

I can see why someone would invest in Newcastle and perhaps over time it’ll pay off but as a Newcastle fan, I appreciate they’re desperate for some sort of success but I don’t think this sale would sit right with me at all. It’s embarrassing that they’re claiming they’ve got their club back and their constant bleating on about being massive and all that is odd…

I think the sale highlights wider issues in football and questions the fit and proper tests once more…but I guess so long as they don’t chop hands off in this country and don’t blow up our hospitals then why should the FA care?
Posted by: DB, October 9, 2021, 7:29am; Reply: 76
Quoted from aldi_01

If you’re choosing clubs on success then surely Leeds are the winner there?

Newcastle is a one club city and literally the only success they’ve had is getting relatively big crowds consistently. They had one chance of winning the league many moons ago and Keegan did his usual and bottled it. Utd sat back and watched them collapse…

I can see why someone would invest in Newcastle and perhaps over time it’ll pay off but as a Newcastle fan, I appreciate they’re desperate for some sort of success but I don’t think this sale would sit right with me at all. It’s embarrassing that they’re claiming they’ve got their club back and their constant bleating on about being massive and all that is odd…

I think the sale highlights wider issues in football and questions the fit and proper tests once more…but I guess so long as they don’t chop hands off in this country and don’t blow up our hospitals then why should the FA care?

Apart from money I don't think the FA care about anything, just like the Prem. ;) ;)

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, October 9, 2021, 7:56am; Reply: 77
Quoted from scarthotownfan

I agree Leeds is the financial centre of the north .. Newcastle is the urine up centre of the north the Arabs will love  it
Posted by: quebec38, October 9, 2021, 8:25am; Reply: 78
Newcastle a bigger club than Leeds? LMAO.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 9, 2021, 8:58am; Reply: 79
I remember watching Town at St James' Park in what's now the championship in the early 90's and there being something like 13k there. A lot of self-aggrandisement with that fanbase.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 9, 2021, 9:10am; Reply: 80
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I remember watching Town at St James' Park in what's now the championship in the early 90's and there being something like 13k there. A lot of self-aggrandisement with that fanbase.

Every fan loves their club, I’ve no issue with that. It’s what we all live for but Newcastle fans have such an overinflated view of their club…
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 9, 2021, 9:43am; Reply: 81
Quoted from gtfc98

A very small correction that backs up your point  - women were given the right to drive a car last year (might have been earlier this year).

It was announced by the Saudi government (and reported in some quarters here) as a massive step forward for women and a sign of how soft and fluffy Saudi Arabia now is. They can only drive accompanied by their husband or a male family member.

And they are now allowed to do what women in the majority of the world have been able to do since the car was invented.
Posted by: WetFlannel, October 9, 2021, 3:55pm; Reply: 82
Actually mind blowing that anyone would consider Leeds anywhere near as big a club as Newcastle. Maybe it’s those who grew up in the 70s, the only time since the football league began that Leeds were genuinely big. Smaller attendances, less trophies, nowhere near as much time spent in the top division. Leeds being a ‘big’ club is the biggest myth in football. Smaller than Sunderland
Posted by: codcheeky, October 9, 2021, 7:21pm; Reply: 83
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-58840820
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, October 9, 2021, 8:55pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from WetFlannel
Actually mind blowing that anyone would consider Leeds anywhere near as big a club as Newcastle. Maybe it’s those who grew up in the 70s, the only time since the football league began that Leeds were genuinely big. Smaller attendances, less trophies, nowhere near as much time spent in the top division. Leeds being a ‘big’ club is the biggest myth in football. Smaller than Sunderland

Newcastles trophies are from the 1920s, could argue grimsby are a proper top division club on that logic
Posted by: Maringer, October 9, 2021, 8:57pm; Reply: 85
To be fair, Leeds' only recent trophy is from 30 years ago...
Posted by: WetFlannel, October 9, 2021, 8:59pm; Reply: 86
And tbf, myself, as well as every single person on this forum, is proud of Grimsby’s pre World War Two history. It’s still a key part of who we are as a club, despite the fact that very few Town fans will have seen Pat Glover in the flesh.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, October 9, 2021, 9:02pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from Maringer

The 90s isnt still 10 years ago? O.o
Posted by: Maringer, October 9, 2021, 9:39pm; Reply: 88

The 90s isnt still 10 years ago? O.o

Tell me about it. I went to University in Leeds just after they won the title.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 10, 2021, 10:40am; Reply: 89
I’d like to see the correlation between EDL, anti Muslim types who support Newcastle and how pleased they are they’ve got their club back…
Posted by: TuckerJenkins, October 10, 2021, 11:57am; Reply: 90
I'd Luv It, LUV IT, if they went down
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 13, 2021, 7:00pm; Reply: 91
https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2021/oct/12/david-squires-on-newcastle-united-saudi-takeover
Posted by: Poojah, October 13, 2021, 7:12pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from Maringer

Your comment got me going there, as for a second I was thinking “you’re talking shìt mate, they won the league when I was a kid”. Then the penny dropped, that was 30 years ago.

For some reason, my brain has a hard time processing that the 90s didn’t end recently. I think it might be something to do with the new millennium, in so much my head treats it as a long decade instead, so in that sense I will live my entire life with Euro 96, Oasis and Tamagotchi’s only just in the rear view mirror.

Just me?
Posted by: RonMariner, October 13, 2021, 7:14pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from Poojah

Your comment got me going there, as for a second I was thinking “you’re talking shìt mate, they won the league when I was a kid”. Then the penny dropped, that was 30 years ago.

For some reason, my brain has a hard time processing that the 90s didn’t end recently. I think I might be something to do with the new millennium, in so much my head treats it as a long decade instead, so in that sense I will live my entire life with Euro 96, Oasis and Tamagotchi’s only just in the rear view mirror.

Just me?

Yes just you. I never got past The Beatles.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 13, 2021, 7:15pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from Poojah

For some reason, my brain has a hard time processing that the 90s didn’t end recently. I think I might be something to do with the new millennium, in so much my head treats it as a long decade instead, so in that sense I will live my entire life with Euro 96, Oasis and Tamagotchi’s only just in the rear view mirror.

Just me?

No. That Bromley fan with his hair curtains is still in the 90s.

But don’t worry. Things can only get better.
Posted by: RonMariner, October 13, 2021, 7:17pm; Reply: 95
I predict they will buy Kane and Sterling in the January window. Maybe Stones and Phillips too.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 13, 2021, 8:41pm; Reply: 96
Makes me glad I'm a Town fan and we have a club that is part of the community and owners that want to strengthen those community ties.

What a contrast between Newcastle and the likes of Rochdale. The speed at which the top and bottom of the game is drifting apart is staggering.

Reflects society in general sadly.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 13, 2021, 10:49pm; Reply: 97
And what’s going on in football isn’t even the serious side effect of rising inequality.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, October 13, 2021, 11:59pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from RonMariner
I predict they will buy Kane and Sterling in the January window. Maybe Stones and Phillips too.

Will Kane & Sterling be happy playing Championship football, because thats Newcastle's first challenge staying in the Premiership.

All this talk by Newcastle fans and pundits, who could be coming through the doors, could unsettle the current players, knowing thet days are numbered, hardly going to motivate them.

To attract the best players, Newcastle we need to playing in Champions League, cannot see that happening in the near future.

So basically apart maybe 3/4 players, Newcastle need to replace its whole squad, thats not going to be easy, shifting all those players and bringing better players, without the lure of European football.

Going to have to pay over inflated fees and wages, yes money no object, but throwing money does not guarantee success.  Manchester United have not won the league since 2013, top managers have come and gone and a small fortune has been spent on players and wages. Man United are in a far better situation then Newcastle are and still are someway behind Man City, Liverpool & Chelsea.

Recipe for a disaster

Posted by: aldi_01, October 14, 2021, 5:35am; Reply: 99
This notion of instant success is odd to say the least but as I keep saying, Newcastle fans are half the problem; an over inflated view of their club based on some big gates.

They will attract big players eventually because we know that money talks, I understand that to some extent but it’s the arrogance and the instantaneous response they’re expecting that’s baffling.

It took City and Chelsea a period of time before they started getting close to winning titles and the like, I don’t understand how a club with zero pedigree for success, a club that not so long ago wasn’t even part of murmurings for a European super league now thinks it’s going to be in the champions league…all very odd.

As a Newcastle fan I wouldn’t be happy with this take over, not because of the possible disconnect and money bags approach that will develop but actually the very people that have bought them…when someone buys your club that’s more morally corrupt than Ashley then I’m not sure you’ve moved on…

It’s all a bit suspicious but intercourse all we can do…
Posted by: RonMariner, October 14, 2021, 7:25pm; Reply: 100
They are not going down. They will bring in a new manager and a load of quality players in January. Then they will spend big in the summer.

But breaking into the top four is difficult even for owners with 250 billion in the pot. But in the long run they could outbid even the likes of Chelsea and City. The question is how much are they willing to spend. One billion is the table stake for this class of company. It's probably what the top four have spent on players over the last few years years.  

Posted by: RonMariner, October 14, 2021, 7:33pm; Reply: 101
According to the Manchester Evening News the top four have spent as follows in the last ten years:-

Man City   £1.42 Billion
Chelsea    £1.38 Billion
Man Utd    £1.09 Billion
Liverpool   £0.91 Billion

Ok, so all of the above clubs have received incoming transfer fees too, so the net figures will be lower. Bit still, it's a hell of chunk of change.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, October 14, 2021, 7:41pm; Reply: 102
Well I for one am already fed up listening to flipping Ne-Castle fans going on and on about how great they are and how rich they are.

Barely a week after the takeover and they havent even played a game yet. What a flipping obnoxious bunch of twits. They havent won anything yet but are already unbearable. iIstand by my earlier post...they will soon become the most detested club around (and not just by Sunderland fans)
Posted by: Maringer, October 14, 2021, 8:26pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from RonMariner
According to the Manchester Evening News the top four have spent as follows in the last ten years:-

Man City   £1.42 Billion
Chelsea    £1.38 Billion
Man Utd    £1.09 Billion
Liverpool   £0.91 Billion

Ok, so all of the above clubs have received incoming transfer fees too, so the net figures will be lower. Bit still, it's a hell of chunk of change.

A mere drop in the oilwell for a couple of those clubs. Manyoo loaded up with debt by the owners who are there to milk the fans for every penny. Liverpool probably the least dodgy of the lot, though of course the holding company which owns the club is incorporated in Delaware, the state which operates as a US tax haven.

Any other petro-states left looking for a bit of sportswashing, I wonder? If the West eventually drop sanctions on Iran, I suppose the Ayatollahs could be looking to buy that mid-sized Premiership club they've all supported since they were boys. Only kidding. No way that the sanctions on Iran will ever be dropped for as long as the Saudis have a say in things.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 14, 2021, 9:26pm; Reply: 104
There’d be some big win bonuses on offer if an Iran owned club played Newcastle.

And the taunts from Newcastle: “you’re Shi’ites and you know you are.”
Posted by: The Yard Dog, October 15, 2021, 12:06pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from RonMariner
They are not going down. They will bring in a new manager and a load of quality players in January. Then they will spend big in the summer.

But breaking into the top four is difficult even for owners with 250 billion in the pot. But in the long run they could outbid even the likes of Chelsea and City. The question is how much are they willing to spend. One billion is the table stake for this class of company. It's probably what the top four have spent on players over the last few years years.  

Money can only so much, money alone will not get Newcastle anywhere near the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea & Manchester City. They will need to get the balance right and will take time, bringing a load of quality players in Janauary, might work, but not guaranteed, spending big in the summer again will not guarantee success.

Agents are going to line up outside St James Park pushing their players, inflated wages demands, inflated transfer fees by clubs, buy-out clauses, players to pay off to make way, working within financial fair play.

Sounds great having unlimited funds, I can see alot of problems that comes with having unlimited funds.
Posted by: Poojah, October 15, 2021, 12:30pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Money can only so much, money alone will not get Newcastle anywhere near the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea & Manchester City. They will need to get the balance right and will take time, bringing a load of quality players in Janauary, might work, but not guaranteed, spending big in the summer again will not guarantee success.

Agents are going to line up outside St James Park pushing their players, inflated wages demands, inflated transfer fees by clubs, buy-out clauses, players to pay off to make way, working within financial fair play.

Sounds great having unlimited funds, I can see alot of problems that comes with having unlimited funds.

One problem they're going to have, and in fact have already only without the gazillions to throw at it, is that by and large Newcastle isn't a particularly attractive place to live for young players and their wags.

It's a nice city, don't get me wrong, but it's geographically isolated so you've got what's there and little else. Money talks, of course it does - the likes of Marouane Fellaini didn't move to Shandong Province for the ambience, but I think it will be more difficult to attract top, top talent to the Geordies than it was for Chelsea, Citeh et al.

All that said, I don't greatly care. This isn't reverse snobbery, I do watch Premier League football, but I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned by the way money is distorting football at the top-level and beyond.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 15, 2021, 3:11pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from Poojah

One problem they're going to have, and in fact have already only without the gazillions to throw at it, is that by and large Newcastle isn't a particularly attractive place to live for young players and their wags.

It's a nice city, don't get me wrong, but it's geographically isolated so you've got what's there and little else. Money talks, of course it does - the likes of Marouane Fellaini didn't move to Shandong Province for the ambience, but I think it will be more difficult to attract top, top talent to the Geordies than it was for Chelsea, Citeh et al.

All that said, I don't greatly care. This isn't reverse snobbery, I do watch Premier League football, but I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned by the way money is distorting football at the top-level and beyond.

There's plenty to do outside Newcastle if you like the great outdoors. Whether that's going to attract football's elite players or not I couldn't say.
Posted by: Poojah, October 15, 2021, 4:19pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from KingstonMariner

There's plenty to do outside Newcastle if you like the great outdoors. Whether that's going to attract football's elite players or not I couldn't say.

Put it this way, Louis Vuitton wellies aren't for rambling.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 15, 2021, 4:27pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from Poojah

Put it this way, Louis Vuitton wellies aren't for rambling.

There was a Geordie girl on that rambling programme the other week (the one where they give each other points) and she was in stuff like that.  ;D
Posted by: RonMariner, October 18, 2021, 8:59am; Reply: 110
Watched the game yesterday and they were very poor. A club who’s owner has wanted out for some time and has only been prepared to invest the minimum needed to keep them up. Sound familiar?

It’s a no win situation for a manager. If you do succeed in keeping them up, it’s so far below fan expectations that you are branded a failure anyway.

I agree with Jamie Rednapp that Bruce looks like he can’t wait to get out and will probably be relieved when the phone call comes, probably this week.

They recon the new owners will splash out 2 to 3 hundred million in January. Looks to me like they need to spend wisely to keep up.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 19, 2021, 5:57am; Reply: 111
They can splash what they want in January but the damage will likely be done by then. It’s also rare that high quality, named players move in January…I suspect it’ll take even longer than it did at City to come to fruition.

Lee Clarke was on the wireless on Sunday saying that investment elsewhere is needed immediately if they’re to fulfil their ambition of big names players. He said the training ground is looking tired for that level which has a knock on for development squads etc.

Albeit different levels of cash, some stark similarities between Fenty and Ashley…I still believe the fans and their unrealistic expectations are part of the issue at Newcastle. The fact they’ve claimed they’ve their club back says a lot…success won’t just happen, especially at a club that’s never had any.

It was weird listening and seeing them just assuming they’d get a win on Sunday, it was like they forgot a new owner doesn’t mean your squad is suddenly less excrement. A side that laid £40m and pays 6 figure salaries to the likes of Joelinton deserves all the failure they get…
Posted by: DB, October 19, 2021, 6:02am; Reply: 112
Money doesn't buy immediate success, look at Wrexham, etc, in our league. ;) ;)
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, October 19, 2021, 10:17am; Reply: 113
It'd be funny if it turns into a Venkysesque farce at Blackburn were the owners thought they were just buying a Premier League club. They didn't understand the club could be relegated.
Posted by: toontown, October 19, 2021, 12:50pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
It'd be funny if it turns into a Venkysesque farce at Blackburn were the owners thought they were just buying a Premier League club. They didn't understand the club could be relegated.

Yes I heard that rumour too, truly hilarious if so!
Posted by: Poojah, October 19, 2021, 12:54pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

Culminated with a chicken invading the pitch, I seem to recall. Of course, if the same were to happen under Newcastle’s new owners, it would soon be a headless chicken…
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 19, 2021, 2:48pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from toontown

Yes I heard that rumour too, truly hilarious if so!

I think it has been proven to be fact.

If you get chance, listen to the SPORF podcast with Nick Harris on Blackburn.  Proper behind the curtain stuff.  
Posted by: toontown, October 19, 2021, 4:16pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from diehardmariner

I think it has been proven to be fact.

If you get chance, listen to the SPORF podcast with Nick Harris on Blackburn.  Proper behind the curtain stuff.  

Is that the football uncovered podcast? Just looked it up, thanks will give that a listen
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 20, 2021, 10:54am; Reply: 118
Steve Bruce been sacked this morning >> https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11678/12428786/steve-bruce-newcastle-sack-head-coach-following-clubs-305m-takeover-by-saudi-led-consortium

Paulo Fonseca, ex Porto, Roma boss to take over? >> https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11678/12439030/paulo-fonseca-former-roma-boss-contender-for-newcastle-united-manager-job-if-steve-bruce-is-sacked
Posted by: RonMariner, October 20, 2021, 12:25pm; Reply: 119
Somewhat inevitable.
Posted by: RonMariner, October 20, 2021, 12:31pm; Reply: 120
I imagine he got a decent pay off though.
Posted by: Yossarian, October 20, 2021, 1:18pm; Reply: 121
If I was Bruce I'd be kicking back with a nice bottle of wine thinking "thank goodness for that".

Basket case of a club.... and now whomever takes over has the whole crapshoot of dealing with setting up a system from scratch that takes a few years.  Plus the reputation of working for the owners.

Taking away the ethics of working for the owners - if you think about how long it took Man City to stand up something any smart manager would sit out this initial phase, let someone deal with the ballache of the "initiation" stage of the project and come in 2-3 years later.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 20, 2021, 2:53pm; Reply: 122
Back to the crime books, hopefully.
Posted by: Poojah, October 20, 2021, 2:56pm; Reply: 123
Quoted from Abdul19
Back to the crime books, hopefully.

I did wonder if he might be making another cameo as the pigeon lady in the new Home Alone film.

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BJbWLzsCIAAFbgu.jpg[/img]
Posted by: AdamHaddock, October 20, 2021, 3:34pm; Reply: 124
Oddschecker have Newell at 250/1
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 20, 2021, 3:39pm; Reply: 125
Quoted from RonMariner
I imagine he got a decent pay off though.

£8m alegedly if you believe this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58775879
Posted by: The Yard Dog, October 20, 2021, 3:42pm; Reply: 126
The new manager is in a no win situation, stilll got to work with the same players as Bruce was. The players left to keep Newcastle up are also on borrowed time thats not going to help the cause of staying in the Premiership, January might too late for them to bring in the cavalry, I mean mercenaries.

They is even talk of having the training ground in London, so the players only go to Newcastle to play their home games. I can see that going down well with the Newcastle fans. Michael Owen used a helicopter when he was a Newcastle player and that went down well with the fans.

You want the players to be able to connect with the local community, like today I saw Shaun Pearson with his family shopping in Tesco's.

Like I said in previously, chopping waters ahead for Newcastle, having too much money brings different types of problems.

Would I swap our current owners for the Saudi owners, not a chance.

I would sooner be playing in the Non league than selling out.

Good luck to them, going to need it.
Posted by: jaygy, October 20, 2021, 4:07pm; Reply: 127
Quoted from Poojah

I did wonder if he might be making another cameo as the pigeon lady in the new Home Alone film.

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BJbWLzsCIAAFbgu.jpg[/img]

Silly.......everyone knows that's Piers Morgan
Posted by: RonMariner, October 20, 2021, 6:46pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from jaygy

Boris surely?
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, October 20, 2021, 7:02pm; Reply: 129
Aw he must be devastated & in dire need of counciilng - I mean a paltry £8m, how can he possibly survive.
Posted by: DB, October 20, 2021, 7:08pm; Reply: 130
Interesting article on the BBC :-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58984256

To sum it up the new owners didn't mind the fans dressing up like sheiks, but they don't want them to do it again. I might sound harsh but it looks like the thin edge of a dictatorship - you can enjoy yourself as long as you do it our way. ??) ??) ??)

Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 20, 2021, 7:46pm; Reply: 131
It’s probably more that they want to disguise the Saudi links.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 20, 2021, 8:07pm; Reply: 132
I thought the whole point of it was to think that the Saudis are a great bunch of lads?
Posted by: Davec, October 20, 2021, 8:11pm; Reply: 133
Quoted from jaygy

No it's Brenda Morgan, or is it Piers Fricker😉
Posted by: LH, October 20, 2021, 8:37pm; Reply: 134
You’d think they’ll be looking to replace Bruce with someone who’s got experience of staying in the PL in difficult circumstances. Like Steve Bruce.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 21, 2021, 12:51am; Reply: 135
Quoted from Abdul19
I thought the whole point of it was to think that the Saudis are a great bunch of lads?

Maybe they want to project a ‘modern’ image of the country. A world away from somewhere that has people chopped into pieces in embassies abroad.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 21, 2021, 10:04pm; Reply: 136
;D

[youtube]KjtwQ008lOs[/youtube]
Posted by: RonMariner, October 21, 2021, 10:52pm; Reply: 137
Brilliant!
Posted by: RonMariner, October 22, 2021, 10:24am; Reply: 138
I see that in the two full seasons Bruce was in charge Newcastle finished 12th and 13th. Yet he was reviled as a failure for that performance. And that with an owner tightening the purse strings. It just shows how incredibly high the Geordie expectation levels are, and that's before the Saudi billionaires took the club over.

I imagine that now their expectations will be Champions league qualification as a minimum next season or they will be calling for the head of whoever takes over as manager.  
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 22, 2021, 10:38am; Reply: 139
Yeah I've never quite got the anti-Bruce vibes.  Purely from the outside looking in he's done a great job.  I think he's done better than the much revered Rafa in terms of league finishes yet has been absolutely vilified.

Bit behind the curve but I've only just watched the highlights from Sunday, the fans responded to the stupid sending off by Jonjo Shelvey by singing 'We want Brucey out'...

I can completely understand the frustration their fans must have felt over the last 10 or so years with a chairman like Mike Ashley who just wouldn't loosen the purse strings but Bruce wasn't the problem.  Even a Champions League winner like Rafa couldn't polish a turd.  You scrape in the bargain basement and you'll end up with scraps.  Bruce's style isn't entertaining or free-flowing, but when you're having to play your right winger at left back because your budget is so poor what do you expect?

Whoever takes over there has a hell of a job on.  It wouldn't surprise me if they end up with someone like Frank Lampard who then spends a fortune in the January window on poor, but big name, transfers and yet fails to do the thing that Bruce did well over the last two years in getting them organised and ultimately takes them down.  To be honest I'd laugh like a drain if it happened.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 22, 2021, 1:56pm; Reply: 140
I saw some stats (sorry, can't find them now) that said Bruce's record is almost identical to Benitez's but half of Benitez' time was in the Championship. Rafa is a hero and Bruce is a villain.

Newcastle suffer from the worst case of what a lot of clubs have - they are expected to be massively successful whilst playing like Brazil in 1970 and that is magnified by the fans. The city of Newcastle loves that football club and are desperate for success and look at other clubs that they believe they are equal to or bigger who have much more success.

One of my favourite phrases, you don't get a single point for your average attendance or number of season ticket holders, was made for Newcastle.

And here's a word of warning: if you think Man Utd and Liverpool fans are insufferable, wait until Newcastle get some some success!
Posted by: DB, October 22, 2021, 6:07pm; Reply: 141
Whoever gets the manager's job it's a poisonous chalice. They'll inherit a team built on the shoestrings of Ashley, and regardless of what they spend in January catch-up is hard in the prem. 4th from the bottom will be a success if they are lucky.
Posted by: Gaffer58, October 22, 2021, 7:02pm; Reply: 142
Next season they’ll be the richest club in the championship
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 22, 2021, 7:15pm; Reply: 143
Quoted from DB
Whoever gets the manager's job it's a poisonous chalice. They'll inherit a team built on the shoestrings of Ashley, and regardless of what they spend in January catch-up is hard in the prem. 4th from the bottom will be a success if they are lucky.

You’d expect Norwich and Watford to be relegated. Leeds desperately need to keep Llorente, Phillips and Raphinha fit. Southampton could be dragged into it if Armstrong doesn’t start firing.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 23, 2021, 7:20am; Reply: 144
I saw some stats (sorry, can't find them now) that said Bruce's record is almost identical to Benitez's but half of Benitez' time was in the Championship. Rafa is a hero and Bruce is a villain.

Newcastle suffer from the worst case of what a lot of clubs have - they are expected to be massively successful whilst playing like Brazil in 1970 and that is magnified by the fans. The city of Newcastle loves that football club and are desperate for success and look at other clubs that they believe they are equal to or bigger who have much more success.

One of my favourite phrases, you don't get a single point for your average attendance or number of season ticket holders, was made for Newcastle.

And here's a word of warning: if you think Man Utd and Liverpool fans are insufferable, wait until Newcastle get some some success!

I saw the stat about Rafa. For what it’s worth, I rate Rafa but I guess the reason he sticks out for the shirtless wonders is they’ll regard a promotion to the premier league (ignoring the vast sums of cash, premiership players/facilities and European cup winning manager) as success…let’s face it, they haven’t really ever had any.

Whoever is in charge of Newcastle is on a hiding to nothing, dodgy ownership or not…

As for being insufferable, they already were/are. Surely there isn’t w soul that doesn’t just laugh when Newcastle fans have banged on forever and a day about being a big club?

Scousers and Utd fans get on your mammaries but in their defence, both clubs have literally won the lot, multiple times over a number of years…Newcastle have won as much as town in the last 40 years…
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 23, 2021, 10:56pm; Reply: 145
Croydon Metropolitan Police are investigating whether the Crystal Palace banner on the link below is racist.

It’s not.

So please go and investigate paedophilic Prince Andrew properly instead.

[url]https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/23/callum-wilson-is-the-best-natural-finisher-ive-worked-with[/url]
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 23, 2021, 11:10pm; Reply: 146
Croydon Metropolitan Police are investigating whether the Crystal Palace banner on the link below is racist.

It’s not.

So please go and investigate paedophilic Prince Andrew properly instead.

[url]https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/23/callum-wilson-is-the-best-natural-finisher-ive-worked-with[/url]

To be fair to the Rossers if someone reports it they have to look at it, and BTW I don’t disagree with you.

Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 23, 2021, 11:25pm; Reply: 147
Quoted from HertsGTFC

To be fair to the Rossers if someone reports it they have to look at it, and BTW I don’t disagree with you.

Agreed. I’ll ask them to investigate Andrew.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 23, 2021, 11:36pm; Reply: 148

Go for it ….
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 23, 2021, 11:40pm; Reply: 149

I’ve emailed The Met Police Complaints Dept but have received an automated response warning that ‘vexatious’ emails may not be responded to.

I suspect that The Met consider Royal Family paedophilia to be a vexatious topic so I am not expecting a response. Unlike the tool who complained about a truthful banner at a football stadium and is probably being fawned over by The Met like an underage victim at one of Andrew’s parties.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 23, 2021, 11:42pm; Reply: 150
I’m not sure what Newcastle supporters expected to be honest they’ve probably only got 4/5 Premier League level players the rest are Championship level.
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 25, 2021, 8:58am; Reply: 151
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I’m not sure what Newcastle supporters expected to be honest they’ve probably only got 4/5 Premier League level players the rest are Championship level.

My stepson who is a massive Newcastle fan (his mother is from Newcastle) still thinks they will be relegated. He thinks they will be too far adrift before the January window opens for it to make any difference.

PS...I hope it's alright me posting on this not a Town related thread  8)

Posted by: Phil the cod, October 25, 2021, 6:09pm; Reply: 152
Ashamed to be British when we allow such people to own one of our most famous clubs.
Stupid Newcastle fans jumping for joy, whilst ironically,the Newcastle ladies team wouldn't be allowed out of the house in the owners own country,let alone play football.
I will love it if they go down, absolute scum.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 25, 2021, 7:22pm; Reply: 153
Quoted from Phil the cod
Ashamed to be British when we allow such people to own one of our most famous clubs.
Stupid Newcastle fans jumping for joy, whilst ironically,the Newcastle ladies team wouldn't be allowed out of the house in the owners own country,let alone play football.
I will love it if they go down, absolute scum.

Plenty of ‘British’ folk who are equally as embarrassing and shouldnt be involved with sports teams/football clubs…

Can’t wait for them to go down…
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 25, 2021, 11:05pm; Reply: 154
Fair play to those Palace fans for their banner about it.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 7:02pm