16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 23, 2021, 10:22am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,757
Gold Stars: 80
Just watched David Wheater’s interview on Under the Cosh and well worth a watch and particularly interesting how they were not paid for 6 months at Bolton and how poorly players can be treated by their owners referring to his time with Oldham. Not surprisingly Kewell does not escape his criticism.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 159
Brazilnut
September 23, 2021, 10:33am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +979
Gold Stars: 30
[quote=120888]

Why? What makes football different to other businesses going into administration? Are you saying that if players are not paid in full, then they face expulsion from the EFL? So it’s the EFL/FA who set that rule? If so, that’s a major problem for Derby, I can imagine.

My understanding  is that this rule was brought in  to protect other clubs ....ie if Derby  buys a player from Us for a million  then we go buy a replacement from Scunny for 500k  and then Derby go bust dont pay us  we go bust cos we owe  scunny  etc

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 159
jamesgtfc
September 23, 2021, 10:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,028
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Just watched David Wheater’s interview on Under the Cosh and well worth a watch and particularly interesting how they were not paid for 6 months at Bolton and how poorly players can be treated by their owners referring to his time with Oldham. Not surprisingly Kewell does not escape his criticism.

I will make that my next one to watch then. Coke had issues with the Oldham owners so I'm interested to hear what Wheater says about his treatment.

As for football creditors needing to be paid in full, yes that is true but there is nothing stopping the administrators trying the negotiate with creditors. Whether the players agree to be released from their contract for a fraction of they are owed is another story though.

When Portsmouth went into admin, they were still paying for Benjani and others a few years later so it can be done. Be interesting to see what happens with Derby because I can't see anyone with sanity taking them on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 159
Manchester Mariner
September 23, 2021, 10:57am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,820
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Good episode that, from what I remember he calls Kewell a coward.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 159
Fillipe Noche
September 23, 2021, 1:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
There’s been much spoken on here about feeling sorry for football supporters at clubs that go into administration. Also much spoken about payment of players wages, and other football creditors, plus things like HMRC.

But do you know what, perhaps the most difficult and most upsetting factor of when a football club goes into administration is the local business community and employees that this affects

Football clubs, even of our size, have many local business suppliers and local trades that have done work for them or supplied services. Often with agreed credit lines. It’s these  local businesses that suffer as a consequence of football clubs going into administration, and people that then discuss the shame related to administration often lose sight of that, or maybe it never dawned upon them. If a football club is sold off as a rescue deal by the administrators, then suppliers are lucky if they ever see 10p - 20p in the £ pound in respect of the money that they are owed.

Jobs and livelihoods become severely at risk in the local community. I recall all those years ago when Leicester City went into administration. Everyone was delighted when they were rescued, but nobody gave a single thought about the ordinary businesses that lost huge amounts of money as creditors that saw practically nothing. There was all sorts of business that were hit by it, including a local florist shop that was owed £6000 and local tradespeople such as electricians and builders, and printers and laundry and security firms etc. It’s really endless the level of hurt and financial hardship that this causes.

It’s happened time and again at various clubs. But the only thing people ever want to think about is the poor old fans because their football team is at risk and at an all time low.

There were occasions when Grimsby Town could have quite easily have gone into administration as an easy way out. But to the credit of the board and John Fenty in particular, there was no way he would allow that to happen, as he could not morally cope with the thought of the widespread financial damage that could do locally to businesses creditors locally. Instead he implemented business acumen and financial clout to keep business going and improve its viability. This should always be remembered

In summary…. See past the football creditors and realise the damage that football clubs going into administration does to its local creditors and dependents.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 159
ska face
September 23, 2021, 1:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,750
Gold Stars: 851
Who would’ve lost out the most by GTFC going into admin, is it the bloke the club owed £1.5m-£4.5m?

Can anyone remember the name of that person?
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 159
EvilFish
September 23, 2021, 2:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +597
Gold Stars: 52
Quoted from ska face
Who would’ve lost out the most by GTFC going into admin, is it the bloke the club owed £1.5m-£4.5m?

Can anyone remember the name of that person?

Jim Frotting or something, I think...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 159
kevikov
September 23, 2021, 2:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
There’s been much spoken on here about feeling sorry for football supporters at clubs that go into administration. Also much spoken about payment of players wages, and other football creditors, plus things like HMRC.

But do you know what, perhaps the most difficult and most upsetting factor of when a football club goes into administration is the local business community and employees that this affects

Football clubs, even of our size, have many local business suppliers and local trades that have done work for them or supplied services. Often with agreed credit lines. It’s these  local businesses that suffer as a consequence of football clubs going into administration, and people that then discuss the shame related to administration often lose sight of that, or maybe it never dawned upon them. If a football club is sold off as a rescue deal by the administrators, then suppliers are lucky if they ever see 10p - 20p in the £ pound in respect of the money that they are owed.

Jobs and livelihoods become severely at risk in the local community. I recall all those years ago when Leicester City went into administration. Everyone was delighted when they were rescued, but nobody gave a single thought about the ordinary businesses that lost huge amounts of money as creditors that saw practically nothing. There was all sorts of business that were hit by it, including a local florist shop that was owed £6000 and local tradespeople such as electricians and builders, and printers and laundry and security firms etc. It’s really endless the level of hurt and financial hardship that this causes.

It’s happened time and again at various clubs. But the only thing people ever want to think about is the poor old fans because their football team is at risk and at an all time low.

There were occasions when Grimsby Town could have quite easily have gone into administration as an easy way out. But to the credit of the board and John Fenty in particular, there was no way he would allow that to happen, as he could not morally cope with the thought of the widespread financial damage that could do locally to businesses creditors locally. Instead he implemented business acumen and financial clout to keep business going and improve its viability. This should always be remembered

In summary…. See past the football creditors and realise the damage that football clubs going into administration does to its local creditors and dependents.

Whilst I agree that stopping the club going into admin ensured local business creditors didn’t get stung with big financial losses, whenever someone states this as some kind of heavenly intent on behalf of the former custodian. The fact that we nearly went into admin numerous times were actually his own fault due to urine poor management and decision making is always omitted. Why?

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 159
jamesgtfc
September 23, 2021, 2:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,028
Gold Stars: 190

I told myself that for years but it seems more likely that the reason he would never allow Grimsby Town to enter administration was actually because he would lose a lot of money doing so.

Other than that I agree with you. Any business going into administration has a huge impact elsewhere in the supply chain.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 159
RichMariner
September 23, 2021, 2:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,145
Gold Stars: 209
John Fenty in particular, there was no way he would allow that to happen, as he could not morally cope with the thought of the widespread financial damage that could do locally to businesses creditors locally.

This is hilarious, it's difficult to know where to begin!

Fenty was the person who stood to lose the most by a country mile if GTFC went into administration. He wasn't thinking about the local community; he was thinking about his own pockets.

You say he couldn't morally cope with the thought of causing financial damage to local businesses but he got into bed with Alex May who hoodwinked loads of people through criminal activity and caused untold financial and emotional damage. Strange standards he holds.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 79 - 159
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Derby County going in to admin

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.