GollyGTFC
January 22, 2022, 7:37pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from RonMariner
I don't think they will be liquidated.  Someone with serious  money will turn up and stump up the dosh.  In fact, given their recent form, it's possible they may not even get relegated.

Clubs of this size just don't die no matter what they do. It's the smaller clubs that go to the wall. It's  not a Bury or Rushden and Diamonds situation.    

You say that, but realistically every Championship club is up for sale. Why buy Derby for £1 and have to spend £130m+ settling debts, covering on going losses and buying Pride Park & the training ground when you can buy a club like Hull for £30m? Burnley (an established Premier League club that make a profit every year only sold for around £120m last year.

You could pick up Cardiff, Swansea, Blackburn, Coventry etc… for a fraction of the cost of buying Derby.

And realistically you’re buying Derby as a League 1 club for that. You’d have to be mental.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 140 - 159
realist
January 23, 2022, 4:46am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
I would be sad to see Derby go. I worked down there for a few months, I found the fans welcoming and friendly. The pubs had a great atmosphere too. even though it was a newish ground an old type of atmosphere remained.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 159
RonMariner
January 23, 2022, 6:01pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,643
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from GollyGTFC

You say that, but realistically every Championship club is up for sale. Why buy Derby for £1 and have to spend £130m+ settling debts, covering on going losses and buying Pride Park & the training ground when you can buy a club like Hull for £30m? Burnley (an established Premier League club that make a profit every year only sold for around £120m last year.

You could pick up Cardiff, Swansea, Blackburn, Coventry etc… for a fraction of the cost of buying Derby.

And realistically you’re buying Derby as a League 1 club for that. You’d have to be mental.

Well Mike Ashley doesn't seem to think so and he seems to have made a few quid over the years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 159
GollyGTFC
January 23, 2022, 6:36pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

Well Mike Ashley doesn't seem to think so and he seems to have made a few quid over the years.

He hasn’t made a bit though has he? He’s a shrewd business man who’s made some serious money buying distressed businesses for next to nothing, stabilising them and disposing  of them.

He got involved with Rangers new co and made a fortune off them.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 143 - 159
GollyGTFC
January 23, 2022, 6:38pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

The difference is Mike Ashley doesn’t want to own a football club. His interest is about possibly making money.

The fact he hasn’t made a bid suggests he doesn’t think he’d see a worthwhile return.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 144 - 159
RonMariner
January 23, 2022, 8:42pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,643
Gold Stars: 226
Not yet but he has been seriously considering it, otherwise he would not waste his time in negotiations.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 159
diehardmariner
January 24, 2022, 2:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,520
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Poojah

I always think it’s harsh to hit the fans over the head with hindsight. Your average fan isn’t going to be skilled in or inclined to forensically investigate the club’s ongoing finances, and for the most part clubs will exude a “nothing to see here, folks” attitude - they simply deny there is anything to worry about until such a time it can no longer be denied.

The ones who do ask questions, what are they meant to do? Boycotts, protests and keyboard warrior-ing rarely do much to enact serious change.

If Derby fans are at fault for their predicament, then so are Town fans for what has happened to this club over the last 20 years. Of course, I don’t feel that’s the case for a millisecond - 99.9% of the fault lays squarely with the owners in cases like this.

I find it hard to see it from any other perspective than the Derby fans’ perspective. If the club goes under, it’s a tragic day for them and their city. I can’t bring myself to wish the death of their club on them, be it for the greater good or not.

Agreed.

I really can't recall too many Town fans up in arms when we were spending £13k a week for Zhang Enhua.  Even with the £2million a season windfall from ITV Digital was that sustainable, especially considering Enhua was just the tip of the iceberg there.  We were happy to welcome the likes of him and David Neilsen in this belief, whipped up by Lennie Lawrence, that we could reach for the stars.

Arguably, we've felt the fall out of it ever since.  I don't mean in terms of having to pay off our debt associated to that, but more the massive weight around our neck it left us with.

Mel Morris' actions are that of a man who cares only for himself.  That shouldn't reflect on Derby as a football club or their fan base.  Justice is justice and they should be punished accordingly but to rip the football club out of a community is too much for me. But for the grace of god we could have been in a boat with similar consequences.
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 159
GollyGTFC
June 8, 2022, 3:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Oh dear, oh dear. Derby takeover has collapsed.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 147 - 159
malkamalka
June 8, 2022, 4:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Oh dear, oh dear. Derby takeover has collapsed.

Mike Ashley may well step in.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 159
supertown
June 8, 2022, 5:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 53
What happens if they fold, who gets their place ?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 159
16 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Derby County going in to admin

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.