Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gimps Top.....Aghhhh
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 277 Guests

Gimps Top.....Aghhhh

This thread currently has 33,561 views. Print
20 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 All Recommend Thread
Epworth Mariner
October 24, 2020, 7:10pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +646
Gold Stars: 57
Hard to accept but it’s the facts.......
There’s more to worry and think about at present but it still hurts......
I’ve still got all my match programmes........Drinkell,Donovan x 2,......the list goes on
Hope the good times come back before the lid goes on......lol
UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Epworth Mariner
October 24, 2020, 7:17pm
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +646
Gold Stars: 57
I really appreciate the red cross........helps immensely.....ta!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 199
Heisenberg
October 24, 2020, 7:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,035
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Epworth Mariner
I’ve still got all my match programmes........Drinkell,Donovan x 2,......the list goes on
UTMM

All of that nonsense is none of our business. Fair play to them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 199
NorfolkImp
October 24, 2020, 10:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -514
Gold Stars: 11
Best Imps side I’ve seen since 1982 under Colin Murphy, the football is sublime at times under Appleton (which was the only question mark against the previous regime)

Private Message
Reply: 3 - 199
lee65
October 24, 2020, 10:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
Appleton was excellent when on loan for us many years ago, so maybe he can carry that in to management
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 199
RichMariner
October 24, 2020, 11:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Think this could be Appleton's first job at a club that isn't in turmoil. Very difficult to judge him from his spells at Portsmouth, Blackburn and Blackpool.

Actually, Oxford weren't in turmoil, and he did well there - got them promoted - before he went to become Craig Shakespeare's assistant at Leicester. Not surprised he's doing well at Lincoln.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 5 - 199
promotion plaice
October 25, 2020, 9:53am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from NorfolkImp
Best Imps side I’ve seen since 1982 under Colin Murphy, the football is sublime at times under Appleton (which was the only question mark against the previous regime)

No Lincoln fan was willing to admit it at the time though  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 199
Azimuth
October 25, 2020, 12:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Much as it pains me to say it I can only say well done to them and the fans, its deserved, it also shows what is possible and what we should and could have achieved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 199
promotion plaice
October 25, 2020, 1:19pm

Quoted from Azimuth
Much as it pains me to say it I can only say well done to them and the fans, its deserved, it also shows what is possible and what we should and could have achieved.

And as much as it pains me to say it Hurst was the man that would have taken us to another level in my opinion, you only have to look at what he achieved at Shrewsbury.
We should have fought tooth and nail to keep him but the present regimes penny-pinching did away with that one.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 199
NorfolkImp
October 25, 2020, 1:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

No Lincoln fan was willing to admit it at the time though  

The brothers brought us continued winning football and 3 trophies (literally unheard of at lower tier level), combined with incredible PR Skills that literally captivated the City unseen since Graham Taylor.

Older fans are willing to recognise this, but went along with the ride ... the difference now is that even the footballing purists are acknowledging this style of play is far more palatable.

Private Message
Reply: 9 - 199
aldi_01
October 25, 2020, 2:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

And as much as it pains me to say it Hurst was the man that would have taken us to another level in my opinion, you only have to look at what he achieved at Shrewsbury.
We should have fought tooth and nail to keep him but the present regimes penny-pinching did away with that one.

Hard to argue with this, even though plenty of our fan base would like to say different. We’ve not had anyone like it since. May be holloway will change that but I suspect Covid and the long term penny pinching will still stop any sort of progression.

It’s clear to see that Appleton is likely to take Lincoln to the next level. Cowley’s style was, as many real, longer than 5 years a Lincoln fan will admit, not very palatable or easy on the eye. It was effective at the time and got them what they needed, the club invested and gave them free reign. It worked and they are reaping what they sow.

I couldn’t care less about Lincoln, they’re not a rival to me and as a football fan, whether it goes belly up or not, it’s hard to find criticism with them.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 199
NorfolkImp
October 25, 2020, 3:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Hard to argue with this, even though plenty of our fan base would like to say different. We’ve not had anyone like it since. May be holloway will change that but I suspect Covid and the long term penny pinching will still stop any sort of progression.

It’s clear to see that Appleton is likely to take Lincoln to the next level. Cowley’s style was, as many real, longer than 5 years a Lincoln fan will admit, not very palatable or easy on the eye. It was effective at the time and got them what they needed, the club invested and gave them free reign. It worked and they are reaping what they sow.

I couldn’t care less about Lincoln, they’re not a rival to me and as a football fan, whether it goes belly up or not, it’s hard to find criticism with them.

Out of interest who do you consider a rival?

Please don't say Hull, West Brom or Stoke as you havn't played them since the last Century?

Private Message
Reply: 11 - 199
HertsGTFC
October 25, 2020, 4:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Please don't say Hull, West Brom or Stoke as you havn't played them since the last Century?

Neither of you ...... you’ll play the Targers this season as they’re on their arses.

I don’t waste time looking at other clubs but I’d suggest your new found Champaign football has come about as you’ve probably got the best squad you’ve had in decades as you can pay more to get better players.

All that said from what I’ve seen (and it’s not much) of Appleton’s sides he does like to get the ball down and play, if you’re playing rather than hoofing then any success is worthy.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 199
aldi_01
October 25, 2020, 4:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Scunny. A rival doesn’t have to be someone you play regularly, let’s face it, until they went back out the league Boston were your rival. My Lincoln STH friend still hates them.

Never understood this pseudo rivalry with Lincoln. When I first moved to Lincoln way back when the odd Lincoln fan would make some snide comment and when I didn’t react they’d get bored.

Lincoln are no more a rival to me than Mansfield or anyone else that’s a short way trip.

I mean we all hate hull but that’s not just a football thing...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 199
NorfolkImp
October 26, 2020, 11:17am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Neither of you ...... you’ll play the Targers this season as they’re on their arses.

I don’t waste time looking at other clubs but I’d suggest your new found Champaign football has come about as you’ve probably got the best squad you’ve had in decades as you can pay more to get better players.

All that said from what I’ve seen (and it’s not much) of Appleton’s sides he does like to get the ball down and play, if you’re playing rather than hoofing then any success is worthy.

Under Cowley then yes, but it was unsustainable hence the change of direction. Appleton's budget was cut by 40% for this season, but the recruitment started early and his contacts for young players (eg: West Brom) has been successful so far. He has also lowered the average age of the squad considerably releasing the likes of Eardley & Bostwick among others.

Private Message
Reply: 14 - 199
diehardmariner
October 26, 2020, 11:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,544
Gold Stars: 537
Hurst taking us to the next level is one of the funniest things I've read in ages.

He did his job, eventually, in getting us out the Conference but we fell over that line and you could argue that he only actually stumbled upon a system that worked because his favourite, Andy Monkhouse, got injured which meant he made to switch things up in midfield.  It also meant we couldn't continue with the long ball out to the left wing, having seen it fail pretty much every time since about late August of that season.

Whist I had no issue with his decision to rebuild that squad, because it was barely good enough to get promotion from the Conference, he then spectacularly failed to do so and ended up weakening it.  Vernon for Amond.  Berrett for Clay.  Chambers for Arnold. That's ignoring the players that he had no chance of keeping like Toto, Nolan and Tait, those were well out of his control.

His public relations skills were dreadful.  He was never going to take us to the next level of anything because he totally alienated a large proportion of the fan base.  A banner hanging from the flyover declaring 'Hurst Out' on the eve of a play-off semi-final second leg was in poor taste.  But cupping your ears to the fans having finally stumbled over the line was even poorer.  He hadn't been there for the last 15 years of abject failure, he hadn't felt it when we failed time after time after time.  He didn't have the right to stick that middle finger up at us.  That moment was as much ours as it was his, if not more.

Am I grateful he got us out the Conference?  Yes, but I don't hold him in this state of some sort of Messiah.  I always felt he held us back with his negative style of play.  I'll always remember him saying that as a player he much more enjoyed those 1-0 smash and grab wins than trouncing someone 5-0, it showed in his managerial style too.  

Did he deserve better investment from the board?  Yes, absolutely.  Promotion or not, denying any manager that level of basic infrastructure is criminal in this day and highlights the wider problems we've got.  

But to say he would have taken us to the next level is fantasy stuff in my eyes.  We had a poor squad that year and were in a bit of a honeymoon period type false position when he left.  What probably makes his record look better is that he was followed by a guy who was bat excrement crazy!

If I had to sum Hurst up it would be a great spotter of talent, but largely fails to get the best from those players when he has them at his disposal.  His other outstanding attribute is building a dressing room.  You can't deny the spirit he built here and evidently he built one at Shrewsbury too.  But that will only take you so far.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 199
NorfolkImp
October 26, 2020, 11:27am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
Scunny. A rival doesn’t have to be someone you play regularly, let’s face it, until they went back out the league Boston were your rival. My Lincoln STH friend still hates them.

Never understood this pseudo rivalry with Lincoln. When I first moved to Lincoln way back when the odd Lincoln fan would make some snide comment and when I didn’t react they’d get bored.

Lincoln are no more a rival to me than Mansfield or anyone else that’s a short way trip.

I mean we all hate hull but that’s not just a football thing...

Just Scunny? That surprises me tbh, because I've never really considered them a rival as such as their history is virtually half both Town/Imps?

They had a brief sojourn in Tier 2 thanks to the investment by Swann, but wasn't backed numbers wise in terms of support by the town itself ... one could say they are back at their natural level, and a spell in non-league about due?

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 199
Les Brechin
October 26, 2020, 12:08pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
Don't really have a problem with Lincoln to be honest.

In fact I'd say that if we didn't have a football team in Grimsby (Cleethorpes), then I'd probably support them over Scunny or Hull who are nearer to here.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 199
MarinerDevil
October 26, 2020, 12:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,737
Gold Stars: 80
Most fans on here seem to dismiss Lincoln as rivals, but people my age - I started supporting Town during the early 00's decline - will have seen more derbies with them than any other local side.  I don't really care about Scunny: don't know anyone who supports them and the derbies that I've seen have been uninspiring.  On the other hand, I have several Lincoln-supporting friends (now that they actually have a strong youth support) and if there's one local rival that I'd want to beat to set the record straight, it would probably be them.  

Also, for a board that feigns indifference towards our county rivals so often, there have been an awful lot of threads about them over the last couple of years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 199
HertsGTFC
October 26, 2020, 4:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I think we should be indebted to both the Gimps and the Scunts as they alongside the obsessions of

- Hurst, was he all that?
- JF and his loans are killing us.
- The Checkatrade is the evil spawn of Satan

All keep this board alive when there is nothing on the field to talk about.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 199
October 26, 2020, 4:44pm
Guest User
All the best to them... however couldn't give a toss currently. Only focused on league 2

Quoted from NorfolkImp

I consider our (Humber and Lincolnshire) rivals to be Hull, Scunthorpe, Lincoln, Gainsborough & Boston
Rivalries exist only through location or achievement  

Reply: 20 - 199
toontown
October 26, 2020, 7:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Approval: +6,270
Gold Stars: 70
Gainsborough!?!?! - really?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 199
MarinerWY
October 27, 2020, 3:07pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47

Not sure it was helped by how disliked he was from some sections of our fanbase. Many had fair enough reasons: he often didn't endear himself to supporters. But others did come across as entitled ("we are grimsby we shouldn't be drawing against [insert team here], we used to be in the championship, our natural home is at least league 1, never mind the last 5 years that's irrelevant we should be top of this division through historic precedent!")

The flyover after the first semi final leg was one of the most embarrassing moments of being a town fan. Obvs we went on to get promoted... sheer pig-headedness.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 199
Heisenberg
October 27, 2020, 3:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,035
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from 139881
All the best to them... however couldn't give a toss currently. Only focused on league 2

I consider our (Humber and Lincolnshire) rivals to be Hull, Scunthorpe, Lincoln, Gainsborough & Boston
Rivalries exist only through location or achievement  

What on Earth?!!! You’re on your own with those last two. Never  heard such guff.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 199
NorfolkImp
October 27, 2020, 3:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

What on Earth?!!! You’re on your own with those last two. Never  heard such guff.

I agree, little Boston bless em' .... it almost felt like bullying a younger much smaller cousin, playing them didn't it?

Mind you their new ground is taking shape quite nicely, and looks far better than York City's seat abomination effort.

Private Message
Reply: 24 - 199
October 27, 2020, 5:39pm
Guest User
Quoted from toontown
Gainsborough!?!?! - really?

Quoted from Heisenberg

How would you two define a football rivalry? A Lincolnshire derby?

Reply: 25 - 199
toontown
October 27, 2020, 8:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Just because a team shares a geographical region doesn't make them rivals. Hartlepool are not rivals to Sunderland and Newcastle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 199
October 27, 2020, 9:07pm
Guest User
Quoted from toontown
Just because a team shares a geographical region doesn't make them rivals. Hartlepool are not rivals to Sunderland and Newcastle.

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincolnshire_derby[/url]

Reply: 27 - 199
toontown
October 27, 2020, 9:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 139881

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincolnshire_derby[/url]

No. Gainsborough are not our rivals just because we've played pre season friendlies against them and they are from the same region. By that score our bìggest rivals are cleethorpes town then as they play in the same town - but u missed them out altogether funnily enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 199
October 27, 2020, 9:21pm
Guest User
Quoted from toontown

No. Gainsborough are not our rivals just because we've played pre season friendlies against them and they are from the same region. By that score our bìggest rivals are cleethorpes town then as they play in the same town - but u missed them out altogether funnily enough.

I've just noticed the error in my OP... hence the big fat X's

'rivals' was the wrong word to use. I worded it wrong
Reply: 29 - 199
toontown
October 27, 2020, 11:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 139881

I've just noticed the error in my OP... hence the big fat X's

'rivals' was the wrong word to use. I worded it wrong

Ok fair enough
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 199
NorfolkImp
October 28, 2020, 7:39am
Brandy Drinker
Another win, clean sheet, and outfootballing a Crewe side on their own patch .... even Radio Stoke purred that we were the best side they’d faced so far.

Private Message
Reply: 31 - 199
louth_in_the_south
October 28, 2020, 8:01am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,672
Gold Stars: 94
I can’t wait to renew that rivalry with Gainsborough . I’m literally drooling waiting for next pre season .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 199
NorfolkImp
November 7, 2020, 5:38pm
Brandy Drinker
After being well beaten by an excellent Pompey side in midweek, an Imps side averaging 21yo massacred Forest Green Rovers today ... having beaten Bradford 5-0 & Mansfield 3-1 in Cups already this season, it just goes to show the gulf between Leagues 1 and 2 is getting wider.

Private Message
Reply: 33 - 199
NorfolkImp
December 26, 2020, 5:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Horrendous defensive error by the multi-million pound rated Dutchman, and a shocking miss in injury time when clean through by the flying Irishman to make it 6 (SIX)

Mind The Gap Humber swamp dwellers.

(I mean Hull obviously  )

Private Message
Reply: 34 - 199
Eastendmariner
December 26, 2020, 5:20pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
You need take over from Town sometime you've been under achieve ping for the last 50 years plus good luck

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 199
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
December 26, 2020, 5:24pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,468
Gold Stars: 15
Completely irrelevant what Lincoln are doing. FFS who gives a toss? We have slightly more pressing things to worry about!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 199
Lincs Iron man
December 26, 2020, 7:03pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -577
Fair play gimps

You look a really good quality outfit

Can see you going into the championship, good manager and brought you in some quality players but can you hold on to them??
Jorge Grant, Brennan Johnson and that Dutch lad at the back look the business apparently

Sadly ourselves are absolutely abysmal and the cod heads are even worse 😩😩😩😩
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 199
promotion plaice
December 26, 2020, 7:07pm

Quoted from Lincs Iron man

Sadly ourselves are absolutely abysmal and the cod heads are even worse 😩😩😩😩

At least we've got a new manager coming in so things could change for us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 199
GollyGTFC
December 26, 2020, 7:09pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
I think it fantastic that the Imps are top of League One. We have far more potential than them if we had a decent owner and a new stadium. The success they are having and Rotherham too shows that despite the amount of money floating around the top end of the game, clubs like us still have a path to success.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 39 - 199
Azimuth
December 26, 2020, 7:14pm
Snakebite drinker
UTMM

Fair play to Lincoln and the fans who have got on board and got behind the club in numbers, an example to our club and to us GTFC fans what is possible with the right leadership and all pulling in the same direction.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 199
NorfolkImp
December 27, 2020, 9:01am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I think it fantastic that the Imps are top of League One. We have far more potential than them if we had a decent owner and a new stadium. The success they are having and Rotherham too shows that despite the amount of money floating around the top end of the game, clubs like us still have a path to success.

Hmmm? 🤔

How have you far more potential? Even when you finished 11th in the Championship in 1999 you only averaged 6,600 and that includes large away followings that filled The Osmond?

The evidence suggests otherwise as even in really big games recently at Wembley you take 13k whereas The Imps took at least double that amount?

Private Message
Reply: 41 - 199
Hagrid
December 27, 2020, 9:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,384
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Hmmm? 🤔

How have you far more potential? Even when you finished 11th in the Championship in 1999 you only averaged 6,600 and that includes large away followings that filled The Osmond?

The evidence suggests otherwise as even in really big games recently at Wembley you take 13k whereas The Imps took at least double that amount?

Its sunday Morning, we’re flipping excrement, you’re doing well. Go away.

Also we’ve been to wembley so many times the novelty has gone. We went twice in a week. You’ve been once in your history

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 199
December 27, 2020, 9:18am
Guest User
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Absolutely.

What's the point in us being bitchy about Lincoln - we're quite literally not in their league at the moment.
We're doing our best to rid ourselves of the individual responsible for that sad state of affairs, though - so that's a sensible start.
Reply: 43 - 199
HertsGTFC
December 27, 2020, 9:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Who gives a f**k what they’re doing, we have plenty of other things to think about.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 199
ginnywings
December 27, 2020, 9:30am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,109
Gold Stars: 548
Our two visits in 98 saw 63,000 at both games. Did Northampton and Bournemouth take 50,000 fans each?

Your final had 41,000 for a Trophy nobody cares about.

There is huge untapped potential at both clubs. Lincoln are currently realising theirs, while we have been mostly going downhill since 98 and are now saddled with statistically the worst Chairman in our history.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 199
Sir Matt Tease
December 27, 2020, 9:50am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +285
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from diehardmariner
Hurst taking us to the next level is one of the funniest things I've read in ages.

He did his job, eventually, in getting us out the Conference but we fell over that line and you could argue that he only actually stumbled upon a system that worked because his favourite, Andy Monkhouse, got injured which meant he made to switch things up in midfield.  It also meant we couldn't continue with the long ball out to the left wing, having seen it fail pretty much every time since about late August of that season.

Whist I had no issue with his decision to rebuild that squad, because it was barely good enough to get promotion from the Conference, he then spectacularly failed to do so and ended up weakening it.  Vernon for Amond.  Berrett for Clay.  Chambers for Arnold. That's ignoring the players that he had no chance of keeping like Toto, Nolan and Tait, those were well out of his control.

His public relations skills were dreadful.  He was never going to take us to the next level of anything because he totally alienated a large proportion of the fan base.  A banner hanging from the flyover declaring 'Hurst Out' on the eve of a play-off semi-final second leg was in poor taste.  But cupping your ears to the fans having finally stumbled over the line was even poorer.  He hadn't been there for the last 15 years of abject failure, he hadn't felt it when we failed time after time after time.  He didn't have the right to stick that middle finger up at us.  That moment was as much ours as it was his, if not more.

Am I grateful he got us out the Conference?  Yes, but I don't hold him in this state of some sort of Messiah.  I always felt he held us back with his negative style of play.  I'll always remember him saying that as a player he much more enjoyed those 1-0 smash and grab wins than trouncing someone 5-0, it showed in his managerial style too.  

Did he deserve better investment from the board?  Yes, absolutely.  Promotion or not, denying any manager that level of basic infrastructure is criminal in this day and highlights the wider problems we've got.  

But to say he would have taken us to the next level is fantasy stuff in my eyes.  We had a poor squad that year and were in a bit of a honeymoon period type false position when he left.  What probably makes his record look better is that he was followed by a guy who was bat excrement crazy!

If I had to sum Hurst up it would be a great spotter of talent, but largely fails to get the best from those players when he has them at his disposal.  His other outstanding attribute is building a dressing room.  You can't deny the spirit he built here and evidently he built one at Shrewsbury too.  But that will only take you so far.

Perfectly summed up in my opinion.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 199
NorfolkImp
December 27, 2020, 10:21am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Its sunday Morning, we’re flipping excrement, you’re doing well. Go away.

Also we’ve been to wembley so many times the novelty has gone. We went twice in a week. You’ve been once in your history

With respect I didn’t start this thread.

Private Message
Reply: 47 - 199
Bigdog
December 27, 2020, 10:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Hmmm? 🤔

Ah the 90s, when football attendances had a massive downturn. Can remember Sheff Utd getting less than 10k, Chelsea mid teens etc etc etc. Our upteenth Wembley visit when our club was at its lowest versus your first as a club on the rise. Our first visit we had 31k there, that shows our potential, as does for you the 26k that you took..

The thing is that the last few years have been Lincoln's best ever pretty much, so of course your fans have been flocking back. You're not massive and we aren't. We'll have our time again, hopefully soon, if Fenty gets his head out of his behind. You'll have a struggle again, not for while granted, we'll get our mojo back and roles will be reversed one day. It's football, forever cyclical, nothing lasts forever. Enjoy it while you can, your rise also gives us hope. A small club averaging 2k only a while back, building a fanbase and reaching the top of League One is admirable. Truth is, when we were there and much higher, we never thought about you, our rivals truly were Barnsley and the Sheffield clubs back then, and we certainly didn't ram it down your throats. I know the majority of Imps fans who actually have the brain space to think about us while you're doing so well are concerned about what's happening to our club, as we would you if roles were reversed. We're all part of the football family and the last thing we need is having someone else's success rammed down our throats right now. No one likes a gloater..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 199
Lincs Iron man
December 27, 2020, 11:20am
Shandy Drinker
As a Scunny supporter I have always thought our three clubs were of similar size, as in support, stadium and potential. Must admit the imps getting 10k almost every week is simply amazing for them and I must admit I'm not sure we could achieve those figures week in week out. Like Norfolk Imp alluded to, have Grimsby ever pulled those figures in the championship days?? No would be the answer.
I suppose size of our towns and cities would also have something to do with this. Scunthorpe 82k, Grimsby and Cleethorpes 135k and Lincoln And Hykeham 130k. This suggests we are all about even in terms of ratio  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 199
NorfolkImp
December 27, 2020, 1:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Ah the 90s, when football attendances had a massive downturn. Can remember Sheff Utd getting less than 10k, Chelsea mid teens etc etc etc. Our upteenth Wembley visit when our club was at its lowest versus your first as a club on the rise. Our first visit we had 31k there, that shows our potential, as does for you the 26k that you took..

The thing is that the last few years have been Lincoln's best ever pretty much, so of course your fans have been flocking back. You're not massive and we aren't. We'll have our time again, hopefully soon, if Fenty gets his head out of his behind. You'll have a struggle again, not for while granted, we'll get our mojo back and roles will be reversed one day. It's football, forever cyclical, nothing lasts forever. Enjoy it while you can, your rise also gives us hope. A small club averaging 2k only a while back, building a fanbase and reaching the top of League One is admirable. Truth is, when we were there and much higher, we never thought about you, our rivals truly were Barnsley and the Sheffield clubs back then, and we certainly didn't ram it down your throats. I know the majority of Imps fans who actually have the brain space to think about us while you're doing so well are concerned about what's happening to our club, as we would you if roles were reversed. We're all part of the football family and the last thing we need is having someone else's success rammed down our throats right now. No one likes a gloater..

Some good points raised, but back then in your ‘Sir Alan’ days, t’internet was in its infancy so you never had the opportunity to ‘ram it down our throats’ although as our paths crossed some years later, you attempted to remind us I recall.

One thing I can assure you, is that fans of the Sheffield clubs in particular saw you as a day out on the coast on the pi$$, similar to a trip to Skegness, but with a game thrown in for good measure so please less of the delusion you were an actual ‘rival’ of either.

Football is though as you say ‘forever cyclical’ and post Covid we’ll see in which direction anything changes. At present due to no fans being allowed in stadiums, Fenty is getting away with things pretty much scot-free providing he doesn’t read The Fishy. Appleton on the other hand isn’t receiving the adulation from a packed ground that is pleading to be extended due to demand. Even under the Cowley’s there were Prem fans within the City who didn’t rate the style of play despite it getting  results .... not any more.

Private Message
Reply: 50 - 199
FishOutOfWater
December 27, 2020, 1:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Fair play to them... they've done well for a small(ish) club

I do wonder what happened to the advice that Fenty gave them a few years back on how to run their set up

I can only guess they heated their offices with all the hot air he'd have spouted?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 51 - 199
Marinerz93
December 27, 2020, 1:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
When we were in the championship I often thought wouldn't it be great for both the Gimps and Scunts to be up there with us. I always felt sorry for them, and other than that I didn't give them a second thought. Hull, Barnsley and Sheffield clubs were our rivals.

When I first started watching Town we were getting gates around 7,500 to 8,000 and the Osmond from memory wasn't full every home game as claimed by the gimp, at times half full at best and when we were getting gates of around 6,000 we were in relegation or poor performing teams at the foot of the table, the scunts saw similar but smaller gates in their relegation season form the Championship.

This is is the best performing period for a Lincoln side in living memory and it is off the back of great investment and good will generated by the Cowleys. It won't last nothing ever does so enjoy the ride you are on or are you the kind of person who gets more joy out of others watching you pretending your enjoying yourself.

You want to talk about potential what was our average gates in league 4 when McMenemy was here. A team that was backed and had a charismatic manager.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 199
arryarryarry
December 27, 2020, 1:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
UTMM

How many Town fans actually give a toss?

We have far worse issues to worry about, I don't bother looking for their results.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 199
Lincs Iron man
December 27, 2020, 1:46pm
Shandy Drinker
Cod heads never got massive gates even in their hey day.
Small coastal club.

As for rivals with Sheffield clubs and Barnsley 😂 Thats laughable.
My dad was a Blades fan from Sheffield and he always used to say it was just an easy trip to the seaside for a urine up.
They never saw you as rivals and your rivals next season will be York and Chesterfield 🙄🙄
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 199
arryarryarry
December 27, 2020, 2:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Small coastal club.

My dad was a Blades fan from Sheffield and he always used to say it was just an easy trip to the seaside for a urine up.
They never saw you as rivals and your rivals next season will be York and Chesterfield 🙄🙄

You have made a real hobby of making yourself look a mindless twit so well done on that.

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1589364134/s-0/
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 199
Limerick Mariner
December 27, 2020, 3:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Marinerz93
When we were in the championship I often thought wouldn't it be great for both the Gimps and Scunts to be up there with us. I always felt sorry for them, and other than that I didn't give them a second thought. Hull, Barnsley and Sheffield clubs were our rivals.

When I first started watching Town we were getting gates around 7,500 to 8,000 and the Osmond from memory wasn't full every home game as claimed by the gimp, at times half full at best and when we were getting gates of around 6,000 we were in relegation or poor performing teams at the foot of the table, the scunts saw similar but smaller gates in their relegation season form the Championship.

This is is the best performing period for a Lincoln side in living memory and it is off the back of great investment and good will generated by the Cowleys. It won't last nothing ever does so enjoy the ride you are on or are you the kind of person who gets more joy out of others watching you pretending your enjoying yourself.

You want to talk about potential what was our average gates in league 4 when McMenemy was here. A team that was backed and had a charismatic manager.

I would say to contrary and that away fan numbers at BP were probably one of the lowest in the League when we were in the second division - I went to nearly every home game in the early 80s we are talking a handful of games each season with more than 1k. Clubs filling the whole Osmond when it was standing I can remember these - Sheffield United in the Cup (1979) and Sheffield Wednesday on Boxing day when the club had to open the gates and let many in for free, Leeds first day of the season 1982 (total chaos), Chelsea's championship winning game (also chaos), Newcastle on Boxing Day in 1980 and their championship winning game, Derby first season up, Leicester, the Drinkell / Linekar 2-2, and that's it over 5 seasons or so. I don't know what the stated capacity of the Osmond was - circa 4 - 4.5k? For some of those it was definitely "overfilled" and also away fans went in the Cleethorpes corner as well - Leeds, Chelsea, Newcastle. Some big clubs were only given the Osmond corner -  West Ham, Chelsea - first season up, for the majority of games it was a couple of hundred in the Osmond corner.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 199
NorfolkImp
December 27, 2020, 3:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

When was this exactly?

I see you mention the Lawrie Mac days, that’s 50 years ago for goodness sake, but don’t worry we’ve got Sunderland fans eulogising over former glories now although I’m not sure many of them were around watching Stokoe lift the Cup?

Private Message
Reply: 57 - 199
Marinerz93
December 27, 2020, 3:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Small coastal club.

Your dad,   and what's funnier is you pretending to have conversations with him, I bet you have a face drawn on a piece of wood you talk too  

Worst troll ever.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 199
NorfolkImp
January 2, 2021, 5:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Impish ‘Total Football’ overcomes typical Wimbledon hoofball and spoiling tactics.

4pts ahead of Hull, 9pts inside the Play-offs and a mahoosive 12pts clear of Sunderland .... what a time to be alive (well almost)  

Private Message
Reply: 59 - 199
Lincs Iron man
January 2, 2021, 5:57pm
Shandy Drinker
Gimps playing total football??

Won't be long til your back down in the bargain basement again.

Cods lost again and look certain for drop. Southend and Stevenage starting to pick up points.

We are slightly better than Cods and should have enough to keep safe.

Got to feel for Little Grimsby
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 199
promotion plaice
January 2, 2021, 6:01pm

Gimps playing total football??

Won't be long til your back down in the bargain basement again.

Cods lost again and look certain for drop. Southend and Stevenage starting to pick up points.

We are slightly better than Cods and should have enough to keep safe.

Got to feel for Little Grimsby

We don't need to ship out players to strengthen in the window, you do.

Make of that what you will.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 199
Lincs Iron man
January 2, 2021, 6:04pm
Shandy Drinker
We are crap but you're even worse

You all pushed Hurst out and now welcome him back 😳

IN OLLIE WE TRUST 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 199
Hagrid
January 2, 2021, 6:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
intercourse off virgin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 199
Lincs Iron man
January 2, 2021, 8:36pm
Shandy Drinker
Truth hurts eh!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 199
Gaffer58
January 3, 2021, 10:03am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Glad you’ve got over your bout of laryngitis because after we beat you the other week you went very quite, but hey, here you are again spouting your usual drivel.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 199
Lincs Iron man
January 3, 2021, 5:17pm
Shandy Drinker
As Hurst got it within him to keep you up??
You have a terrible squad and already fallen into the bottom two.

You are Lincolnshire's worst club side
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 199
ginnywings
January 3, 2021, 5:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
As Hurst got it within him to keep you up??
You have a terrible squad and already fallen into the bottom two.

You are Lincolnshire's worst club side

That is correct.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 199
toontown
January 3, 2021, 7:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

That is correct.

At the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 199
RonMariner
January 3, 2021, 8:23pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,658
Gold Stars: 226
Have to say that I'd be worried if I were a Scunts fan. They have lost to us, Stevenage and Southend in the last few weeks. They are broke. We on the other hand would appear to have access to funds to bring in new players.

Will be an interesting few weeks.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 199
RonMariner
January 3, 2021, 8:26pm

Special Brew Drinker
I don't begrudge Lincoln their success. They are showing what a small club can achieve if well run. Just as we did in the 80's and 90's.

So we should look on their success as something to aim at. They can get into the championship. Scunthorpe did the same recently.

So we should take is as an achievable ambition for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 199
The_Laughing_Mariner
January 3, 2021, 11:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
We had our glory days in the 80's and 90's up to the Millenium
Scunts from mid noughties for a decade, now it's time for the Gimps.
It happens, It's cyclical  

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 199
NorfolkImp
January 5, 2021, 11:18am
Brandy Drinker
First signing of the new January window for The Imps is an exciting one it has to be said. Morgan Rogers from Man City.

I've only seen him play a couple of times, in the FA Youth Cup semi which he shone in the first half in particular and the Final itself. He scored the 2nd in the 3-2 win against Chelsea and also hit the bar with a rasping drive after cutting in from the left.

In our recent EFL Trophy game the stand out player was the very pacy winger Jaydon Braaf playing for City, well Rogers kept this lad out of the side in the Final.

He's still very young and inexperienced but the talent is there. He is used to playing with technically excellent players, so should fit in nicely, and importantly has an excellent attitude.

Private Message
Reply: 72 - 199
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
January 5, 2021, 11:25am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,468
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from NorfolkImp
First signing of the new January window for The Imps is an exciting one it has to be said. Morgan Rogers from Man City.

I've only seen him play a couple of times, in the FA Youth Cup semi which he shone in the first half in particular and the Final itself. He scored the 2nd in the 3-2 win against Chelsea and also hit the bar with a rasping drive after cutting in from the left.

In our recent EFL Trophy game the stand out player was the very pacy winger Jaydon Braaf playing for City, well Rogers kept this lad out of the side in the Final.

He's still very young and inexperienced but the talent is there. He is used to playing with technically excellent players, so should fit in nicely, and importantly has an excellent attitude.

Fascinating
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 199
NorfolkImp
January 5, 2021, 11:46am
Brandy Drinker

Fascinating

Well City did sign him from West Brom for £4m, so quite a compliment that they trust us with his development?

Private Message
Reply: 74 - 199
Hagrid
January 5, 2021, 11:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
[quote=410]

Well City did sign him from West Brom for £4m, so quite a compliment that they trust us with his development?

[/quote

Yeah not really the time mate, we’re excrement and focusing on our own club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 199
denni266
January 5, 2021, 9:16pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from Marinerz93

Your dad,   and what's funnier is you pretending to have conversations with him, I bet you have a face drawn on a piece of wood you talk too  

Worst troll ever.

AHH plank you mean .. Not seen ed edd and eddie for years  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 199
Lincs Iron man
January 6, 2021, 10:59am
Shandy Drinker
Norfolk Imp

How the hell do you lot get to sign quality players from Man City??

Hats off to the imps. Your fans have got behind the team massively and deserve all the success you're getting.

The Iron are still a bigger club than the Imps tho kid 👌
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 199
Jarmo.Is.God
January 6, 2021, 11:08am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Norfolk Imp

How the hell do you lot get to sign quality players from Man City??

Hats off to the imps. Your fans have got behind the team massively and deserve all the success you're getting.

The Iron are still a bigger club than the Imps tho kid 👌

Iron fan
Talking to a Lincoln fan
On a Grimsby forum

You guys really do love us don't you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 199
Northbank Mariner
January 6, 2021, 12:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Iron fan
Talking to a Lincoln fan
On a Grimsby forum

You guys really do love us don't you

We're living rent free in their heads, but for god's sake don't let Fenty know, he'll start charging them and ask for back payment too!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 199
Les Brechin
January 6, 2021, 3:46pm

Quoted from NorfolkImp

When was this exactly?

I see you mention the Lawrie Mac days, that’s 50 years ago for goodness sake, but don’t worry we’ve got Sunderland fans eulogising over former glories now although I’m not sure many of them were around watching Stokoe lift the Cup?

In the '80's maybe.

Grimsby Town average league attendances in the '80's

79/80 10,618 Tier 3
80/81 10,961 2
81/82 8,406 2
82/83 7,741 2
83/84 7,643 2
84/85 6,458 2
85/86 5,157 2
86/87 5,050 2
87/88 3,416 3
88/89 4.302 4
89/90 5,984 4

As you can see we started off the decade with excellent attendances when we came within a whisker of being the first team ever to go from Division 4 to Division 1 in successive seasons (a feat that has still not been done, and I doubt ever will). Gates gradually decreased as we got progressively worse until our double relegation but then picked up again when we won promotion from Division 4 in 1989/90 and was 7,237 the following season when we won a 2nd successive promotion.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 199
Lincs Iron man
January 6, 2021, 7:27pm
Shandy Drinker
Hahaha

How long do you have to go back until you get a decent size crowd!! 😂😂

Where have they all gone?

You're lucky to get 3-4K these days 😂😂🤷🏽‍♂️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 199
Hagrid
January 6, 2021, 7:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Hahaha

How long do you have to go back until you get a decent size crowd!! 😂😂

Where have they all gone?

You're lucky to get 3-4K these days 😂😂🤷🏽‍♂️

You got 6800 at home in March against us and 2000 were from Grimsby you virgin
Get back to your colouring
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 199
NorfolkImp
January 9, 2021, 12:16pm
Brandy Drinker
3 key first teamers out today with Covid issues, Walsh, Anderson & Hopper .... so will definitely take a draw against Posh.

Come on Imps #UTI

Private Message
Reply: 83 - 199
Hagrid
January 9, 2021, 12:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp
3 key first teamers out today with Covid issues, Walsh, Anderson & Hopper .... so will definitely take a draw against Posh.

Come on Imps #UTI

Andersons shagging his cousin aint he? So he’s probably in the cells
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 199
NorfolkImp
January 9, 2021, 12:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Andersons shagging his cousin aint he? So he’s probably in the cells

Errr no, they just have the same surname, nothing untoward .... don't believe everything you read on t'internet.

Private Message
Reply: 85 - 199
promotion plaice
January 9, 2021, 12:35pm

Quoted from NorfolkImp

Come on Imps #UTI

Let's hope Dembele has a blinder and ups his value even more, come on Peterborough.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 199
Gaffer58
January 9, 2021, 12:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Boro 1 up after 10 minutes, and they look bloody good for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 199
NorfolkImp
January 9, 2021, 12:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58
Boro 1 up after 10 minutes, and they look bloody good for it.

More we look bad for it .... a horrendous first 20 mins by us, completely out of character.

Private Message
Reply: 88 - 199
January 9, 2021, 1:19pm
Guest User
Whose website is this FFS.  GTFC.
Reply: 89 - 199
Bristol Mariner
January 9, 2021, 1:59pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from NorfolkImp

More we look bad for it .... a horrendous first 20 mins by us, completely out of character.

Gimp, talk us through that penalty

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 199
Bristol Mariner
January 9, 2021, 2:02pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp

So during a Lincoln game you feel the need to come on a Grimsby forum, you really are sad. Are we saved under your favourites along with ‘Dating Cousins Matchmaker’ site?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 199
NorfolkImp
January 9, 2021, 2:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Well I'd have took a point before the game, snapped your hand off at half-time .... but good grief the amount of chances we have created 2nd half, 2 POINTS DROPPED.

Private Message
Reply: 92 - 199
Bristol Mariner
January 9, 2021, 2:26pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp
Well I'd have took a point before the game, snapped your hand off at half-time .... but good grief the amount of chances we have created 2nd half, 2 POINTS DROPPED.

We don’t care, funk off to your own forum

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 199
NorfolkImp
January 9, 2021, 2:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Bristol Mariner

We don’t care, funk off to your own forum

Hang on petal, I didn't start this thread .... are we not allowed to comment on it?

Private Message
Reply: 94 - 199
NorfolkImp
January 9, 2021, 2:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Bristol Mariner

Gimp, talk us through that penalty

Well he picked a right time to miss the target after 7 in 8 previously, didn't he .... that said even KDB managed it v Liverpool  

Private Message
Reply: 95 - 199
NorfolkImp
January 13, 2021, 10:27am
Brandy Drinker
PriceOfFootball
@KieranMaguire

Lincoln publish accounts and continue to set a gold standard in terms of transparency & governance. Revenue up 20% as Cowley compensation & higher broadcast income on back of promotion offsets Covid impact.

Many Lincoln fans demonstrated support for club by declining ST refunds in 2019/20 and accepting shares in club instead which saved £341,000

Lincoln’s progressive approach shown by support for fan led review of English football & rejection of Project Big Picture. Club correctly identified PBP will only benefit owners of ‘Big Six’ in Premier League.

Lincoln day to day losses ⬇️ 20% although that does include  Cowley compo I think. Player trading & other income helped reduce losses from over £2m to below £900k. Lincoln wages ⬆️ 6% following promotion.

Lincoln signed players for £380k in 2019/20 and spent £360k on capital expenditure projects. Lincoln’s funding mainly from share issues to execs, Supporters’ Trust and fans. Generated £1.2m in 2019 and £1.6m in 2020. #imps

Despite the Pandemic, the future looks bright both on and off the pitch  

Private Message
Reply: 96 - 199
Hagrid
January 13, 2021, 10:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
And i thought we were a well run club according to our glorious leaders....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 199
NorfolkImp
January 13, 2021, 10:44am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

I think the difference is that our board are probably too modest, they just get on with their jobs ... it’s journalists outside that comment.

Another £40k pocketed from the Trophy last night, despite the contempt from some, it’s really not to be sniffed at in the current climate.

Private Message
Reply: 98 - 199
RonMariner
January 13, 2021, 10:49am

Special Brew Drinker
Makes you wonder where they would had they listened to the sage advice offered by JF a few years back.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 199
DB
January 13, 2021, 11:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Hagrid

It is, run into the ground. Still in debt to Fenty as opposed to the bank. No team and they know the best about covid. " Don't worry PD said we have a robust defence, we followed EFL advice". Run straight into a fine!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 199
diehardmariner
January 13, 2021, 11:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,544
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from NorfolkImp
PriceOfFootball
@KieranMaguire

Many Lincoln fans demonstrated support for club by declining ST refunds in 2019/20 and accepting shares in club instead which saved £341,000

Yeah, but did you get a voucher for a calendar*?

*Depending on availability
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 199
NorfolkImp
January 26, 2021, 1:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

Yeah, but did you get a voucher for a calendar*?

*Depending on availability

Actually no ... I must enquire as to why not indeed, you jammy swines  

A huge game for The Imps tonight, thankfully we have Bridcutt and Walsh back adding vital experience and know how this time as Pompey were far too 'streetwise' last time out.

I expect a bit of a backlash after their drubbing against Hull to be honest .... but then again we could be at Barrow  

Private Message
Reply: 102 - 199
NorfolkImp
January 26, 2021, 9:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Imps go 3 points clear of Hull at the top with a game in hand .... 64% possession with 17 shots at goal with 9 on target at Fratton Park, somebody pinch me

Private Message
Reply: 103 - 199
ginnywings
January 26, 2021, 9:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Chuffed to bits...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 199
promotion plaice
January 26, 2021, 9:07pm

Quoted from NorfolkImp
Imps go 3 points clear of Hull at the top with a game in hand .... 64% possession with 17 shots at goal with 9 on target at Fratton Park, somebody pinch me

Against 10 men for most of the game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 199
Hagrid
January 26, 2021, 9:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Am sure your a nice bloke, but urine off. We dont care
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 199
NorfolkImp
January 30, 2021, 1:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Am sure your a nice bloke, but urine off. We dont care

I am 😇 .... but just had to mention Regan Poole has just signed permanently (ex-Man U, Newport, MKD) and possibly our player of the season so far Jorge Grant signing a new 2 year contract.

The L1/EFL Trophy ‘double’ is most definitely ON 👍🏼

Private Message
Reply: 107 - 199
RonMariner
January 30, 2021, 1:58pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp

I am 😇 .... but just had to mention Regan Poole has just signed permanently (ex-Man U, Newport, MKD) and possibly our player of the season so far Jorge Grant signing a new 2 year contract.

Yeah, really happy for you. How sensitive it is of you to come on here and gloat when we are in dire straights.

How empty the rest of your life is if you feel the need to do this. Sad, very sad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 199
Mariner_501
January 30, 2021, 2:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +227
Gold Stars: 27
Good on Lincoln tbh. I like the city and always found their hatred/bitterness towards us odd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 199
Cambridgefish
January 30, 2021, 3:38pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: -12
Quoted from NorfolkImp

MK message board suggests he's not a bad player but not a regular starter. Seemed surprised they have been paid for him as he hasn't kicked on as expected.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 199
HertsGTFC
January 30, 2021, 3:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Go f**k yourself !

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 199
NorfolkImp
January 31, 2021, 12:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Go f**k yourself !

Well that’s not really necessary is it? 😳

I was feeling a tad miffed about us missing 2 pens v Donny (or should I say 2 excellent saves) then I remembered your kind words, and thought there is always someone worse off.

Private Message
Reply: 112 - 199
MarinerDevil
January 31, 2021, 1:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,737
Gold Stars: 80
You're pretty keen for a Man City fan, Norfolk.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 199
NorfolkImp
February 2, 2021, 11:36am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from MarinerDevil
You're pretty keen for a Man City fan, Norfolk.

Well 'Red' Devil, I don't really think chatting about 'Citeh' would be appropriate let alone relevant to lower league footie?

Happy with our Jan window btw, 4 IN and 6 OUT.

The 4 IN are.
Morgan Rogers (from Man City on loan) who scored the winner v Pompey.
Regan Poole (from MKD permanent)
Cohen Bramall (from Col Utd permanent)
Max Sanders (from Brighton permanent)
+ Jorge Grant signing a new 2 year contract which is massive for us.

All 3 permanents have come with rave reviews (relatively speaking) from their previous clubs fans, so we'll see how they are blended into the first team as the games come thick and fast.

Private Message
Reply: 114 - 199
RonMariner
February 2, 2021, 12:28pm

Special Brew Drinker
Who the intercourse cares?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 199
NorfolkImp
February 3, 2021, 7:48am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner
Who the intercourse cares?

Well I thought you might actually, seeing as we knocked out your big traditional and hated rivals, the ‘Umber swamp dwelling mudrats last night on pens?

One step from Wembley again, hope we avoid Sunderland in the semi-final draw 🙏🏼

Private Message
Reply: 116 - 199
RonMariner
February 3, 2021, 10:06am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Well I thought you might actually, seeing as we knocked out your big traditional and hated rivals, the ‘Umber swamp dwelling mudrats last night on pens?

Shows how much you know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 199
NorfolkImp
February 5, 2021, 5:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Fishy friends, are you all tuned in, kick off in 15 mins Live on SKY .... tough one tonight v Gills, I hope Evans’ mob don’t kick us off the pitch?

Private Message
Reply: 118 - 199
TownSNAFU5
February 5, 2021, 5:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
You can aspire to a league and cup double.  We did the similar double of our own in 1998.  A Wembley cup win in the Auto Windscreens Final (with a rare golden goal).    

Then back to Wembley 6 weeks later to win the Div 1 Playoff final.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 199
RonMariner
February 5, 2021, 6:43pm

Special Brew Drinker
Promotion and cup double?

Been there, done  that, got the T shirt.

Not in front of an empty stadium either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 199
ginnywings
February 5, 2021, 7:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Gills 0 Lincoln 3

I'm over the moon  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 199
NorfolkImp
February 5, 2021, 8:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Not at our best, but stood up well to the aerial onslaught, denied a superb sweeping fourth goal by an incompetent linesman .... hardest possible draw in the Trophy away at Sunderland, but the double is still on 🙏🏼

Private Message
Reply: 122 - 199
chelseacity
February 5, 2021, 8:42pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
Gold Stars: 9
You have to give Lincoln City credit, in the non league with us & now on the verge of promotion to the Championship, what a change, i salute them & i only wish we had people at our club with a fraction of what the Imps have, am i jealous, yes, but i give the whole of their club nothing but admiration & a round of applause.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 199
NorfolkImp
February 5, 2021, 8:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from chelseacity
You have to give Lincoln City credit, in the non league with us & now on the verge of promotion to the Championship, what a change, i salute them & i only wish we had people at our club with a fraction of what the Imps have, am i jealous, yes, but i give the whole of their club nothing but admiration & a round of applause.

Cheers for that, it’s the Buckley-esque brand of play that has everyone drooling 🤤

Private Message
Reply: 124 - 199
lew chaterleys lover
February 5, 2021, 8:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Cheers for that, it’s the Buckley-esque brand of play that has everyone drooling 🤤

Don't push your luck.  
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 199
jaygy
February 5, 2021, 9:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Well done to you guys for pushing on an achieving what you have over the last few years but don't you have your own forum?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 199
Cambridgefish
February 6, 2021, 9:49am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: -12
Quoted from chelseacity

They lost £2m the year before and nearly £1m last year despite getting £1m for the Cowleys from Huddersfield. It appears to be funded from the directors rather than an overdraft but as Mrs Thatcher said "You can only spend what you earn"

I am aware of the alternative "You've got to speculate to accumulate" so what do I know. They will survive and do well or it will all end in tears. Interesting times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 199
mariner91
February 6, 2021, 10:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,626
Gold Stars: 260
What Lincoln have done fantastically is use the momentum that was built up when they got the Cowleys. Obviously there has been a bit of luck along the way such as their initial cup run. I doubt if they ever played Ipswich again they'd play as badly as they did that night in the FA Cup for example. Would their attendances have increased as much as they did without the cup run? Perhaps not, their attendances in the league never got over 4000 until they beat Oldham in the FA cup and set up a "big" (at the time) match against Ipswich. And we will always be able to laugh a little bit at their "die-hard" fans who will all claim to have stuck by the club through thick and thin. We all know that they brought less than 500 to a local derby on a bank holiday on a couple of years before they got promoted and never had more than 3500 home fans for the reverse fixture either. So clearly a huge percentage of them are lying about that and only came back when they started improving. Most of us on here will always have the moral high ground that we've actually stuck by the club over 15 years of absolute dross.

However, moving away from that. What a success story. Fantastic appointment initially with the Cowleys. But the board's interaction with the fans, creating a sense of unity and togetherness and making Sincil Bank the place to go in Lincoln on a Saturday afternoon should not be overlooked. They have done everything almost perfectly off the pitch and it's something that really highlights what an abject failure John Fenty has been. Even this season, the appointment of Appleton seems to have been a masterstroke and they're flying playing, whisper it quietly, actually pretty good football for the first time in their history.

Right now they are on a high and I genuinely wish their long suffering fans (the ones who actually bothered sticking by the club) all the best. Let's hope that it can act as a blue print for our own new board and this plus their business know-how can help to propel us back towards the level we feel we belong. There is no doubt in my mind that a bit of success and a change in direction within the club could see us getting decent attendances again. This may help us to start climbing the leagues for the first time in two decades but it's going to take a bit of time and a lot of hard work. And we could do far worse than looking down the A46 for some inspiration and ideas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 199
NorfolkImp
February 26, 2021, 10:33am
Brandy Drinker
Latest update:

The AGM and Fans Forum were very well run last night, albeit on a digital platform. It appears to be in stark contrast to certain neighbours who recently announced that theirs would be held with a quorum of just two shareholders?!! 🤔

Voting on the accounts which, like all the other ordinary resolutions were carried with thumping majorities, it was then announced that Michael Appleton has signed a new 4 year Contract tying his future to the club until 2025. This is wonderful news considering the recent speculation linking him to the Bristol City job and others.

The AGM was introduced by the charismatic Sam Ashoo from Matchday Live who then skilfully chaired the Fans Forum, choosing intelligent questions and keeping the momentum of the evening going during which we also learned that players Remy Howarth and Anthony Scully have also signed new contracts.

I should also add that Collab hosted the whole event professionally and with admirable efficiency.

Championship football on the horizon anyone?

Private Message
Reply: 129 - 199
Les Brechin
February 26, 2021, 12:54pm

Quoted from NorfolkImp

The AGM was introduced by the charismatic Sam Ashoo from Matchday Live who then skilfully chaired the Fans Forum, choosing intelligent questions and keeping the momentum of the evening going during which we also learned that players Remy Howarth and Anthony Scully have also signed new contracts.

You don't want anyone sneezing everywhere, especially in the current climate.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 199
dapperz fun pub
February 27, 2021, 7:08am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
How come we have 14 page thread on Lincoln city on here ?
I couldn’t give a toss about them or anything about them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 199
sapper mariner
February 27, 2021, 7:10am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +486
Gold Stars: 7
Don't click and read on it then

Ubique
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 199
dapperz fun pub
February 27, 2021, 8:47am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from sapper mariner
Don't click and read on it then

I didn’t but thanks for the advice
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 199
Davec
February 27, 2021, 9:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I didn’t but thanks for the advice

You must have clicked on it to post😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 199
NorfolkImp
April 21, 2021, 10:15am
Brandy Drinker
Well who'd a thought it? Little Lincoln level pegging with the massive Mackems with a few games left, and a Wembley Play-off Final against them looking a distinct possibility?

I'll be honest with you all, I thought we were gone, but an inspired substitution by Appleton v Blackpool resulting in 2 late goals has completely rejuvenated everyone.

8 goals scored since 0 conceded and 10pts with key men returning, has us back in the mixer for the IMPossible dream.

Private Message
Reply: 135 - 199
Hagrid
April 21, 2021, 10:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp
Well who'd a thought it? Little Lincoln level pegging with the massive Mackems with a few games left, and a Wembley Play-off Final against them looking a distinct possibility?

I'll be honest with you all, I thought we were gone, but an inspired substitution by Appleton v Blackpool resulting in 2 late goals has completely rejuvenated everyone.

8 goals scored since 0 conceded and 10pts with key men returning, has us back in the mixer for the IMPossible dream.

urine off you cringy obsessed termite

you have a 40 page thread on us on that sad little forum of yours, go away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 199
ska face
April 21, 2021, 10:36am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,640
Gold Stars: 840
lol is norfolkimp the oddball deviant who logs on here every single day and searches for “Lincoln”? Bizarre behaviour. Is it not the same crank who used to be aryan imp, the Man City fan?
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 199
nealeardleyscrossing
April 21, 2021, 10:37am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -322
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Hagrid

urine off you cringy obsessed termite

you have a 40 page thread on us on that sad little forum of yours, go away

Which means you must go on the Lincoln site then and read it to know that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 199
NorfolkImp
April 21, 2021, 10:43am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from ska face
lol is norfolkimp the oddball deviant who logs on here every single day and searches for “Lincoln”? Bizarre behaviour. Is it not the same crank who used to be aryan imp, the Man City fan?

Crank? that's a tad harsh .... but i've been called worse. Kings Lynn away, first pint on me?

Private Message
Reply: 139 - 199
Hagrid
April 21, 2021, 10:47am

Barley Wine Drinker

Which means you must go on the Lincoln site then and read it to know that.

yes, i just looked
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 199
NorfolkImp
April 21, 2021, 10:53am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

yes, i just looked

You're more than welcome to contribute, all opinions are respected ...... (except mine)

Private Message
Reply: 141 - 199
ginnywings
April 21, 2021, 10:57am

Recovering Alcoholic
I'm sure more and more fans from other sites will be appearing over the coming weeks to have a dig at our demise. It happened before and it will happen again. I don't mind it actually, it's what footy and rivalry is all about, not that I've ever seen Lincoln as a rival.

We are sh1te and opposition fans will want to tell us we are sh1te, but as I said last time, what goes around, comes around and some time in the future, we will be doing the same to someone else.

Think Lincoln have had two goes at non league too, so they are an example of what can be achieved if you get the right backing.

We'll be back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 199
NorfolkImp
April 21, 2021, 11:00am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm sure more and more fans from other sites will be appearing over the coming weeks to have a dig at our demise. It happened before and it will happen again. I don't mind it actually, it's what footy and rivalry is all about, not that I've ever seen Lincoln as a rival.

We are sh1te and opposition fans will want to tell us we are sh1te, but as I said last time, what goes around, comes around and some time in the future, we will be doing the same to someone else.

Think Lincoln have had two goes at non league too, so they are an example of what can be achieved if you get the right backing.

We'll be back.

That's the spirit

Private Message
Reply: 143 - 199
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 21, 2021, 11:05am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,263
Gold Stars: 295
Quoted from ginnywings

We'll be back.

It's not like they'll be telling us anything we don't already know....

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 199
Grantley
April 21, 2021, 11:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from NorfolkImp

That's the spirit

What he fails to mention is that it’s bloody strange behaviour. Obviously you’ve been doing it for years but it would be nice if you were at least a loyal fan and not one of those who showed up after all the success. It’s one thing to gloat on your own forum but even it’s pure virgin behaviour to go on someone else’s to do it. All that glory and your life is still empty.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 199
NorfolkImp
April 21, 2021, 11:18am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Grantley

What he fails to mention is that it’s bloody strange behaviour. Obviously you’ve been doing it for years but it would be nice if you were at least a loyal fan and not one of those who showed up after all the success. It’s one thing to gloat on your own forum but even it’s pure virgin behaviour to go on someone else’s to do it. All that glory and your life is still empty.

Well I was at York away just before Christmas back in 98' when City lost 1-2 .... and I was at Weymouth when the Imps lost 0-3 in 87' ... driving back after those 2 (and many others) didn't feel particularly glorious I assure you.

Private Message
Reply: 146 - 199
ginnywings
April 21, 2021, 11:19am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Grantley

That I agree with. I've never felt the urge to read, never mind post, on another clubs forum.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 199
ska face
April 21, 2021, 11:36am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,640
Gold Stars: 840
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Crank? that's a tad harsh .... but i've been called worse. Kings Lynn away, first pint on me?

Seek help. You’re mentally unwell.
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 199
Davec
April 21, 2021, 9:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
I sometimes read opposition forums before and after games so see things from their perspective and of course if we signed a player then I may look at his ex clubs forums to see if I can find what they thought about him but i have very rarely actually signed up to post on another clubs forum
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 199
NorfolkImp
April 22, 2021, 10:11am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Davec
I sometimes read opposition forums before and after games so see things from their perspective and of course if we signed a player then I may look at his ex clubs forums to see if I can find what they thought about him but i have very rarely actually signed up to post on another clubs forum

Have you never felt the urge to reply when opposition fans slag it off for no good reason though ... if not to add balance to the argument if nothing else?

Private Message
Reply: 150 - 199
Hagrid
April 22, 2021, 10:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Have you never felt the urge to reply when opposition fans slag it off for no good reason though ... if not to add balance to the argument if nothing else?

i did post on the braintree forum after out 5-0 loss there, they seemed as shocked as i was at what happened
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 199
promotion plaice
April 24, 2021, 5:17pm

Quoted from NorfolkImp

Good win for Hull today  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 199
A Brace Of Tees
April 24, 2021, 5:31pm
Beer Drinker
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 3
Let us not lose sight of the fact that the vast majority of Lincoln's 'supporters' have little or no knowledge about their club prior to the Cowley era.

It's simply another example of glory hunters and is probably no better than those people who 'support' one of the 'Disgraced 6' who did their utmost to ruin our national game last week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 199
Plankton
April 24, 2021, 5:35pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,208
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees
Let us not lose sight of the fact that the vast majority of Lincoln's 'supporters' have little or no knowledge about their club prior to the Cowley era.

It's simply another example of glory hunters and is probably no better than those people who 'support' one of the 'Disgraced 6' who did their utmost to ruin our national game last week.

Or was it excellent marketing of the club to bring fringe fans and outsiders into the club, bringing cash and spurring them on forward with multiple promotions and becoming a bigger club than us?

No, you're right, it's glory supporters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 199
A Brace Of Tees
April 24, 2021, 5:51pm
Beer Drinker
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Plankton

Or was it excellent marketing of the club to bring fringe fans and outsiders into the club, bringing cash and spurring them on forward with multiple promotions and becoming a bigger club than us?

No, you're right, it's glory supporters.

The point I'm making is that all of us on here have followed our club through thick and thin for many, many years - in my case since 1967. And I make no excuse for finding it pretty despicable when people latch on to a club simply because they're having a bit of success.

You can stick your 'marketing' and associated corporate bullsh!t. We all know what makes a true fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 199
Plankton
April 24, 2021, 6:03pm

Table Wine Drinker

The point I'm making is that all of us on here have followed our club through thick and thin for many, many years - in my case since 1967. And I make no excuse for finding it pretty despicable when people latch on to a club simply because they're having a bit of success.

You can stick your 'marketing' and associated corporate bullsh!t. We all know what makes a true fan.

I completely understand your view and I am not disagreeing with you in what makes a true fan. I don't have the pedigree of yourself and my first town memory was the season of 98/99 with a longer-lasting memory of Grimsby beating Burnley 6-5.

What you cannot ignore is the exceptional work Lincoln put into their club to make themselves worth people's time and pull together a gathering bigger than us, I don't like it, but that's how it is. We had an opportunity going back into the league in 2016 to hit reset and pull us all together and become a club to be proud of in the community - that's marketing, the thing that you call 'associated 'bullsh!t'. One club chose to mobilise and build, one didn't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 199
moosey_club
April 24, 2021, 6:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Quoted from Plankton

I completely understand your view and I am not disagreeing with you in what makes a true fan. I don't have the pedigree of yourself and my first town memory was the season of 98/99 with a longer-lasting memory of Grimsby beating Burnley 6-5.

What you cannot ignore is the exceptional work Lincoln put into their club to make themselves worth people's time and pull together a gathering bigger than us, I don't like it, but that's how it is. We had an opportunity going back into the league in 2016 to hit reset and pull us all together and become a club to be proud of in the community - that's marketing, the thing that you call 'associated 'bullsh!t'. One club chose to mobilise and build, one didn't.

oohhh, tease.......i must tune in next week to find which was which...

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 199
Abdul19
April 24, 2021, 6:27pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215

So if we somehow turn good and a couple of thousand extra turn up, you're going to sit there slagging them off for 90 minutes because they don't remember Martin McIntosh?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 199
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 24, 2021, 7:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Think they have a new American investor about to put money into the club so things remain very positive for them at present and I continue to get grief everywhere I go. Fair to say though that the majority of Imps I speak with all want us to stay up and wish we were all in the same league, if only !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 199
Poojah
April 24, 2021, 7:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,472
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Abdul19

So if we somehow turn good and a couple of thousand extra turn up, you're going to sit there slagging them off for 90 minutes because they don't remember Martin McIntosh?

I don’t remember Martin McIntosh, but that’s a conscious choice I’ve made.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 199
Plankton
April 24, 2021, 8:59pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

oohhh, tease.......i must tune in next week to find which was which...

I always knew cliffhanger marketing worked, I didn't expect it to display on the fishy  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 199
mariner91
April 24, 2021, 9:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,626
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from Poojah

I don’t remember Martin McIntosh, but that’s a conscious choice I’ve made.

The worst thing is he's not even in the top 5 terrible centre backs we've had in the last 15 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 199
promotion plaice
May 1, 2021, 5:23pm

Lincoln blow a 0-3 lead at Peterborough and have to settle for the lottery of the play-offs  

After seeing some of the gloating on their forum about our relegation I really hope they blow it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 199
dapperz fun pub
May 1, 2021, 5:33pm
Special Brew Drinker

Lincoln blow a 0-3 lead at Peterborough and have to settle for the lottery of the play-offs  

After seeing some of the gloating on their forum about our relegation I really hope they blow it.

At this moment in time they are leap years in front of us in every aspect of playing / how the clubs run / division ..can we catch them and overtake them course we can
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 199
Lincoln Mariner 56
May 1, 2021, 5:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73

Why go on their forum?

Whilst I have taken the expected urine take most Imp fans I know didn’t want us to go down and would much rather be in the same league, league 1 I guess, as they enjoy the derby matches.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 199
RonMariner
May 1, 2021, 6:24pm

Special Brew Drinker
I don't begrudge Lincoln their success. It shows what clubs of our size can do if properly run.

You have to laugh when you consider Fenty was offering their board advice a couple of year back!

Shame he didn't buy them instead of us. Then they would be about to plan their away days at Boreham Wood and Bromley instead of, possibly, West Brom and Forest.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 199
Eastendmariner
May 1, 2021, 6:27pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
they are still sat on the edge of their plastic seats  3-0 up I have to say it did bring a little smile to my face when the pen went in

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 199
Fillipe Noche
May 1, 2021, 6:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103

Why on gods earth would you go on another clubs message board? That’s just weird
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 199
MuddyWaters
May 1, 2021, 6:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

Why on gods earth would you go on another clubs message board? That’s just weird

Why on Earth do you come on here is a better question.
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 199
exiledmeggie
May 1, 2021, 7:05pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -227
Gold Stars: 18
I had to laugh, but still, the first time in years they throw away a three-goal lead and still can count the goals in the game with one hand!

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 199
promotion plaice
May 1, 2021, 7:13pm

Quoted from Fillipe Noche

I only go on it to read a long standing thread they have running about us out of interest what they have to say, what's wrong with that.

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/our-fishy-friends.111075/

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 199
aldi_01
May 1, 2021, 8:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker

I only go on it to read a long standing thread they have running about us out of interest what they have to say, what's wrong with that.

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/our-fishy-friends.111075/

Somewhat ironic...

In all seriousness, aside from them not being a real rival, not to me anyway, surely they’re a club we should be reaching out to and seeing how they made changes to move the club forward...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 199
NorfolkImp
May 2, 2021, 9:11am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Somewhat ironic...

In all seriousness, aside from them not being a real rival, not to me anyway, surely they’re a club we should be reaching out to and seeing how they made changes to move the club forward...

Out of interest are we still behind ...

Sheff Weds
Sheff Utd
Barnsley
West Brom
Stoke
Hull
Scunthorpe

.... in the rivalry pecking order, have I missed anyone off?

Private Message
Reply: 173 - 199
moosey_club
May 2, 2021, 9:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Somewhat ironic...

As part of a thesis I am working on for my masters I have already been in contact with them over the last few months on this subject.
Their commercial team were very helpful and whilst there are many varied reasons and parts to their success / expansion  they all stem from a single focal point, mantra almost..
" Do the opposite of what that fishmonger told us "

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 199
ginnywings
May 2, 2021, 9:40am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Out of interest are we still behind ...

Sheff Weds
Sheff Utd
Barnsley
West Brom
Stoke
Hull
Scunthorpe

.... in the rivalry pecking order, have I missed anyone off?

Yes, way behind.

Growing up, I saw Lincoln as that posh town up the road that had a football team. More akin to Boston in a footballing sense. You were not on my radar, nor were Donny, even though they are dirty Yorkies.

Can't speak for the younger generation, but the success of Lincoln hasn't rankled anywhere near as much as the success of Scunny and Hull.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 199
NorfolkImp
May 2, 2021, 9:50am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Yes, way behind.

Growing up, I saw Lincoln as that posh town up the road that had a football team. More akin to Boston in a footballing sense. You were not on my radar, nor were Donny, even though they are dirty Yorkies.

Can't speak for the younger generation, but the success of Lincoln hasn't rankled anywhere near as much as the success of Scunny and Hull.

Posh? Blimey, I’ll mention that to old mates who grew up on Birchwood, Ermine, St Giles and on Wecky Drive 😁

Private Message
Reply: 176 - 199
NorfolkImp
May 2, 2021, 9:54am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from exiledmeggie
I had to laugh, but still, the first time in years they throw away a three-goal lead and still can count the goals in the game with one hand!

Well I’m sure if you’ve seen the highlights, the 96th minute penalty awarded, which is quite possibly the worst decision I’ve ever seen in 45 years of watching football ... will have cheered you up no end, in a time of woe.

Private Message
Reply: 177 - 199
dapperz fun pub
May 2, 2021, 9:59am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Posh? Blimey, I’ll mention that to old mates who grew up on Birchwood, Ermine, St Giles and on Wecky Drive 😁

Lincoln is very similar to gy and in truth maybe worse my mates wife is a senior social worker and as worked in both areas and she reckons Lincoln is worse than north east Lincs in lots of aspects saying that though she said Hull smashes us both out of the park
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 199
ginnywings
May 2, 2021, 10:00am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Well yeah, I know differently now, but any mention or sighting of Lincoln when I were a lad was the Cathedral district and when you live in a working class town with Grim in the title, even Lincoln seemed posh, rather than the truth, which is another northern sh1thole with some nice bits.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 199
moosey_club
May 2, 2021, 10:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Well I’m sure if you’ve seen the highlights, the 96th minute penalty awarded, which is quite possibly the worst decision I’ve ever seen in 45 years of watching football ... will have cheered you up no end, in a time of woe.

Haha....the amount of AkindePens you got and you think that one yesterday was a poor one...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 199
TownSNAFU5
May 2, 2021, 11:37am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Yes it does show what a well-run small club can achieve.  

Hopefully, we can overcome many years of decay and stagnation by making steady, sustained progress over many years.  New owners over to you to put the right leadership, decisions and systems in place for success.  To rebuild our reputation.

It is ironic though that Dembele was not sold in January.  He scored the first of the 3 come-back goals for the Posh.  Helping to secure the one point that gave them automatic promotion.  

This draw prevented the only team that could overtake them - Lincoln.  Up to the 95th minute Lincoln were winning 3-2.  Holding out for another minute and winning their last 2 games would have given Lincoln automatic promotion.  

Well done Agent Dembele.  Lincoln’s success (from NL) is a role model for us. Achievable, but very difficult as we start from a very low base.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 199
RonMariner
May 2, 2021, 12:31pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp

It was indeed a shocking decision. The quality of referring in L1 and L2 can be very, very poor.

We got a very dubious red card on Tuesday while 2-1 up at Exeter. Ok, they might have gone on to beat us even if we still had 11 on the pitch, but it certainly didn't help. If we could have hung on for those last 20 minutes we would not be relegated right now and would still have a chance of staying up. Very frustrating.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 199
NorfolkImp
May 9, 2021, 3:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Well I think congratulations are in order for The Imps highest Football League finish for 39 years, albeit Colin Murphy’s side finished 4th instead of 5th back in 1982 with 77pts.

There's absolutely no pressure on us in the Play-Off Semi this time versus Sunderland, who will have 10,000 fans at The Stadium of Light in the 2nd Leg, even if our record of 6 failures and no success so far in this lottery is pretty dismal.

Bramhall Lane or Hillsborough next season, its a win win really isn't it?

Private Message
Reply: 183 - 199
Hagrid
May 9, 2021, 4:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I see Pompey Bottled it today, i fully expected a Cowley Lincoln final.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 199
Azimuth
May 9, 2021, 4:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp
Well I think congratulations are in order for The Imps highest Football League finish for 39 years, albeit Colin Murphy’s side finished 4th instead of 5th back in 1982 with 77pts.

There's absolutely no pressure on us in the Play-Off Semi this time versus Sunderland, who will have 10,000 fans at The Stadium of Light in the 2nd Leg, even if our record of 6 failures and no success so far in this lottery is pretty dismal.

I dont mind congratulating your team and supporters, your achievments are well desrved and should be an inspiration for our club, good luck in the play offs!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 199
NorfolkImp
May 9, 2021, 4:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid
I see Pompey Bottled it today, i fully expected a Cowley Lincoln final.

Agent Cowley at the double 😎

Private Message
Reply: 186 - 199
Bristol Mariner
May 9, 2021, 9:13pm

Fine Wine Drinker
[quote=410]Well I think congratulations are in order for The Imps highest Football League finish for 39 years, albeit Colin Murphy’s side finished 4th instead of 5th back in 1982 with 77pts.

Bramhall Lane or Hillsborough next season, its a win win really isn't it? [/quote

Do you sit on your left hand so it’s numb when you type on your keyboard on the Fishy? Do you salivate on your own forum?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 199
1mickylyons
May 9, 2021, 11:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Have you gone off Man City now you phoney 2 Club wankpuffin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 199
NorfolkImp
May 10, 2021, 12:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Have you gone off Man City now you phoney 2 Club wankpuffin

Alright Mickey long time no speak? Knowing my luck The Imps & City will be playing at the same time on the same day that I go into Papworth Hospital  for major heart surgery ... I expect both to lose btw.

Private Message
Reply: 189 - 199
1mickylyons
May 10, 2021, 7:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Alright Mickey long time no speak? Knowing my luck The Imps & City will be playing at the same time on the same day that I go into Papworth Hospital  for major heart surgery ... I expect both to lose btw.

Sorry to hear you are not in the best of health fella.Hope the surgery goes well and you can continue trolling us poor relations on the East Coast
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 199
Limerick Mariner
May 10, 2021, 8:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Congratulations. Just think though, it could have all been so different. Fine lines and small margins have a big impact in football results but a massive impact on the whole path of history. Go back to that Grimsby play-semi final at Braintree, 10 minutes to go, we are 1-0 down from the home leg and we'd pummelled them for 80 minutes. It was hot, their players were gasping. We win a corner, one of their defenders just loses it for a moment, pulls a shirt right in front of the ref. Penalty to Town and the rest is history. If that defender had just kept his cool - we hadn't scored against Braintree for hours of play that season. We lose on aggregate and Operation Promotion has failed. Fenty has a quiet word with the Braintree chairman about talking to the Cowleys. Hurst is sacked on the Monday and the Cowleys are unveiled the next day.

Of course, Fenty would still have fecked it up with the Cowleys, he would let them down on budget, training facilities, fitness coach, sports analyst - probably the lot. They'd have left like Hurst not long after getting us promoted. Maybe to Shrewsbury like Hurst did.

Lincoln might have gone for Hurst. He would probably have done ok for you - sorted the defence, got "us" shape right, maybe still manager now. He'd have got you up in a couple of seasons via the play-offs and your Board would have backed him well once back in the League. You'd still be in League 2 with a couple of failed play-off attempts. You're average gate would be 4.5k and Lincoln fans would be getting a bit restless occasionally about Hurst rather conservative approach but then you'd think - look at Grimsby back in the National League with 4 failed managers after not looking after the Cowleys...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 199
NorfolkImp
May 10, 2021, 8:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Sorry to hear you are not in the best of health fella.Hope the surgery goes well and you can continue trolling us poor relations on the East Coast

Tbh mate, when that game swung against Exeter recently I genuinely felt for the likes of your good self, Padge, Si Stevo, Blakey etc .... but shhhhh don't tell anyone.

Private Message
Reply: 192 - 199
NorfolkImp
May 10, 2021, 8:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Congratulations. Just think though, it could have all been so different. Fine lines and small margins have a big impact in football results but a massive impact on the whole path of history. Go back to that Grimsby play-semi final at Braintree, 10 minutes to go, we are 1-0 down from the home leg and we'd pummelled them for 80 minutes. It was hot, their players were gasping. We win a corner, one of their defenders just loses it for a moment, pulls a shirt right in front of the ref. Penalty to Town and the rest is history. If that defender had just kept his cool - we hadn't scored against Braintree for hours of play that season. We lose on aggregate and Operation Promotion has failed. Fenty has a quiet word with the Braintree chairman about talking to the Cowleys. Hurst is sacked on the Monday and the Cowleys are unveiled the next day.

Of course, Fenty would still have fecked it up with the Cowleys, he would let them down on budget, training facilities, fitness coach, sports analyst - probably the lot. They'd have left like Hurst not long after getting us promoted. Maybe to Shrewsbury like Hurst did.

Lincoln might have gone for Hurst. He would probably have done ok for you - sorted the defence, got "us" shape right, maybe still manager now. He'd have got you up in a couple of seasons via the play-offs and your Board would have backed him well once back in the League. You'd still be in League 2 with a couple of failed play-off attempts. You're average gate would be 4.5k and Lincoln fans would be getting a bit restless occasionally about Hurst rather conservative approach but then you'd think - look at Grimsby back in the National League with 4 failed managers after not looking after the Cowleys...

Its funny you say that .... I thought the very same back in 88' when Kettering under Alan Buckley beat The Imps 2-0 at Rockingham Road. Barnet were in the box seat but blew it incredibly after Barry Fry said 'Bet your house on us' live on Grandstand to Des Lynam at the Rugby League Challenge Cup Final.

The Imps beat Wycombe and Murphy's Mission was complete. If it hadn't happened then I'm sure John Reames would've gone for 'Sir Alan' in the close season before he was Blundell Park bound.

Small margins/Sliding Doors moment as you say.

Private Message
Reply: 193 - 199
Limerick Mariner
May 10, 2021, 9:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Its funny you say that .... I thought the very same back in 88' when Kettering under Alan Buckley beat The Imps 2-0 at Rockingham Road. Barnet were in the box seat but blew it incredibly after Barry Fry said 'Bet your house on us' live on Grandstand to Des Lynam at the Rugby League Challenge Cup Final.

The Imps beat Wycombe and Murphy's Mission was complete. If it hadn't happened then I'm sure John Reames would've gone for 'Sir Alan' in the close season before he was Blundell Park bound.

Small margins/Closing Doors moment as you say.

Yes - exactly that. Good film, except the Scottish bloke gets on my wick a bit. The Braintree defender needed to feign injury - just take a moment, take on some water - think Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction - be cool, just 10 minutes more.

Alan Buckley would have never lasted at Lincoln in 88 - it took us half a season to work out why we were playing the ball to Keith Alexander's feet. The Sincil faithful would have demanded nothing less than carpet bombing from the outset...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 199
1mickylyons
May 10, 2021, 11:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Yes - exactly that. Good film, except the Scottish bloke gets on my wick a bit. The Braintree defender needed to feign injury - just take a moment, take on some water - think Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction - be cool, just 10 minutes more.

Alan Buckley would have never lasted at Lincoln in 88 - it took us half a season to work out why we were playing the ball to Keith Alexander's feet. The Sincil faithful would have demanded nothing less than carpet bombing from the outset...

In over 40 years supporting Town the strangest thing happened during Buckleys first season we were 0-4 down at HT to Rotherham and Town got a standing ovation leaving the pitch. Rotherham were top of the league and had 4 attempts scored 4 goals Town battered them and the woodwork for the whole 90 mins. Their Keeper was Kelham O Hanlon and to this day its the best goalkeeping ive ever seen on a par with Sherwood vs Villa in the League Cup.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 195 - 199
1mickylyons
May 10, 2021, 11:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Tbh mate, when that game swung against Exeter recently I genuinely felt for the likes of your good self, Padge, Si Stevo, Blakey etc .... but shhhhh don't tell anyone.

Too be honest think most of us accepted relegation Feb/March time we just couldnt get the goals/wins required but at least PH got the players to have a go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 199
KingstonMariner
May 11, 2021, 12:02am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 1mickylyons

In over 40 years supporting Town the strangest thing happened during Buckleys first season we were 0-4 down at HT to Rotherham and Town got a standing ovation leaving the pitch. Rotherham were top of the league and had 4 attempts scored 4 goals Town battered them and the woodwork for the whole 90 mins. Their Keeper was Kelham O Hanlon and to this day its the best goalkeeping ive ever seen on a par with Sherwood vs Villa in the League Cup.

The best opposition goalkeeping display I remember was David James against us at Watford. We battered them but lost because of him.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 199
forza ivano
May 11, 2021, 7:13am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,159
Gold Stars: 265
remember getting beaten by 2 or 3 at bristol Rovers 1 year, and was unsurprised to find that the local paper had voted their keeper motm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 199
Hagrid
May 11, 2021, 8:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Sam Russell when he was at Darlo, ALWAYS ALWAYS had an amazing game against us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 199
20 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gimps Top.....Aghhhh

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.