Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gimps Top.....Aghhhh
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 329 Guests

Gimps Top.....Aghhhh

This thread currently has 33,573 views. Print
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Azimuth
December 26, 2020, 7:14pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from Epworth Mariner
Hard to accept but it’s the facts.......
There’s more to worry and think about at present but it still hurts......
I’ve still got all my match programmes........Drinkell,Donovan x 2,......the list goes on
Hope the good times come back before the lid goes on......lol
UTMM

Fair play to Lincoln and the fans who have got on board and got behind the club in numbers, an example to our club and to us GTFC fans what is possible with the right leadership and all pulling in the same direction.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 199
NorfolkImp
December 27, 2020, 9:01am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -519
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I think it fantastic that the Imps are top of League One. We have far more potential than them if we had a decent owner and a new stadium. The success they are having and Rotherham too shows that despite the amount of money floating around the top end of the game, clubs like us still have a path to success.

Hmmm? 🤔

How have you far more potential? Even when you finished 11th in the Championship in 1999 you only averaged 6,600 and that includes large away followings that filled The Osmond?

The evidence suggests otherwise as even in really big games recently at Wembley you take 13k whereas The Imps took at least double that amount?

Private Message
Reply: 41 - 199
Hagrid
December 27, 2020, 9:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,413
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Hmmm? 🤔

How have you far more potential? Even when you finished 11th in the Championship in 1999 you only averaged 6,600 and that includes large away followings that filled The Osmond?

The evidence suggests otherwise as even in really big games recently at Wembley you take 13k whereas The Imps took at least double that amount?

Its sunday Morning, we’re flipping excrement, you’re doing well. Go away.

Also we’ve been to wembley so many times the novelty has gone. We went twice in a week. You’ve been once in your history

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 199
December 27, 2020, 9:18am
Guest User
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I think it fantastic that the Imps are top of League One. We have far more potential than them if we had a decent owner and a new stadium. The success they are having and Rotherham too shows that despite the amount of money floating around the top end of the game, clubs like us still have a path to success.

Absolutely.

What's the point in us being bitchy about Lincoln - we're quite literally not in their league at the moment.
We're doing our best to rid ourselves of the individual responsible for that sad state of affairs, though - so that's a sensible start.
Reply: 43 - 199
HertsGTFC
December 27, 2020, 9:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Who gives a f**k what they’re doing, we have plenty of other things to think about.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 199
ginnywings
December 27, 2020, 9:30am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Our two visits in 98 saw 63,000 at both games. Did Northampton and Bournemouth take 50,000 fans each?

Your final had 41,000 for a Trophy nobody cares about.

There is huge untapped potential at both clubs. Lincoln are currently realising theirs, while we have been mostly going downhill since 98 and are now saddled with statistically the worst Chairman in our history.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 199
Sir Matt Tease
December 27, 2020, 9:50am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +285
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from diehardmariner
Hurst taking us to the next level is one of the funniest things I've read in ages.

He did his job, eventually, in getting us out the Conference but we fell over that line and you could argue that he only actually stumbled upon a system that worked because his favourite, Andy Monkhouse, got injured which meant he made to switch things up in midfield.  It also meant we couldn't continue with the long ball out to the left wing, having seen it fail pretty much every time since about late August of that season.

Whist I had no issue with his decision to rebuild that squad, because it was barely good enough to get promotion from the Conference, he then spectacularly failed to do so and ended up weakening it.  Vernon for Amond.  Berrett for Clay.  Chambers for Arnold. That's ignoring the players that he had no chance of keeping like Toto, Nolan and Tait, those were well out of his control.

His public relations skills were dreadful.  He was never going to take us to the next level of anything because he totally alienated a large proportion of the fan base.  A banner hanging from the flyover declaring 'Hurst Out' on the eve of a play-off semi-final second leg was in poor taste.  But cupping your ears to the fans having finally stumbled over the line was even poorer.  He hadn't been there for the last 15 years of abject failure, he hadn't felt it when we failed time after time after time.  He didn't have the right to stick that middle finger up at us.  That moment was as much ours as it was his, if not more.

Am I grateful he got us out the Conference?  Yes, but I don't hold him in this state of some sort of Messiah.  I always felt he held us back with his negative style of play.  I'll always remember him saying that as a player he much more enjoyed those 1-0 smash and grab wins than trouncing someone 5-0, it showed in his managerial style too.  

Did he deserve better investment from the board?  Yes, absolutely.  Promotion or not, denying any manager that level of basic infrastructure is criminal in this day and highlights the wider problems we've got.  

But to say he would have taken us to the next level is fantasy stuff in my eyes.  We had a poor squad that year and were in a bit of a honeymoon period type false position when he left.  What probably makes his record look better is that he was followed by a guy who was bat excrement crazy!

If I had to sum Hurst up it would be a great spotter of talent, but largely fails to get the best from those players when he has them at his disposal.  His other outstanding attribute is building a dressing room.  You can't deny the spirit he built here and evidently he built one at Shrewsbury too.  But that will only take you so far.

Perfectly summed up in my opinion.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 199
NorfolkImp
December 27, 2020, 10:21am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -519
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Hagrid

Its sunday Morning, we’re flipping excrement, you’re doing well. Go away.

Also we’ve been to wembley so many times the novelty has gone. We went twice in a week. You’ve been once in your history

With respect I didn’t start this thread.

Private Message
Reply: 47 - 199
Bigdog
December 27, 2020, 10:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Hmmm? 🤔

Ah the 90s, when football attendances had a massive downturn. Can remember Sheff Utd getting less than 10k, Chelsea mid teens etc etc etc. Our upteenth Wembley visit when our club was at its lowest versus your first as a club on the rise. Our first visit we had 31k there, that shows our potential, as does for you the 26k that you took..

The thing is that the last few years have been Lincoln's best ever pretty much, so of course your fans have been flocking back. You're not massive and we aren't. We'll have our time again, hopefully soon, if Fenty gets his head out of his behind. You'll have a struggle again, not for while granted, we'll get our mojo back and roles will be reversed one day. It's football, forever cyclical, nothing lasts forever. Enjoy it while you can, your rise also gives us hope. A small club averaging 2k only a while back, building a fanbase and reaching the top of League One is admirable. Truth is, when we were there and much higher, we never thought about you, our rivals truly were Barnsley and the Sheffield clubs back then, and we certainly didn't ram it down your throats. I know the majority of Imps fans who actually have the brain space to think about us while you're doing so well are concerned about what's happening to our club, as we would you if roles were reversed. We're all part of the football family and the last thing we need is having someone else's success rammed down our throats right now. No one likes a gloater..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 199
Lincs Iron man
December 27, 2020, 11:20am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -577
As a Scunny supporter I have always thought our three clubs were of similar size, as in support, stadium and potential. Must admit the imps getting 10k almost every week is simply amazing for them and I must admit I'm not sure we could achieve those figures week in week out. Like Norfolk Imp alluded to, have Grimsby ever pulled those figures in the championship days?? No would be the answer.
I suppose size of our towns and cities would also have something to do with this. Scunthorpe 82k, Grimsby and Cleethorpes 135k and Lincoln And Hykeham 130k. This suggests we are all about even in terms of ratio  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 199
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gimps Top.....Aghhhh

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.