9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
October 9, 2020, 9:46am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,124
Gold Stars: 548
We do have a plan. Bringing in a manager who has had success at a higher level. A manger who has put in a dollop of cash and has taken a seat on the board, who wants to be a part of all aspects of the club, has moved to the area and is clearly enthusiastic about bringing in young talent and developing them for the benefit of the club on the pitch, and hopefully future sales, which will give us more financial clout.

We were starting to look a lot better when the pandemic hit, playing good attacking football. It does seem that we have regressed more than others during the lockdown and it remains to be seen how long it takes us to get back up to speed, but I think there is a plan there.

I think we as fans are sceptical because of what has happened in the past, and looking at the poor start we have made to the season just reinforces that scepticism. If we are still struggling badly come January, then that will be the time to start questioning our direction. I'm still hopeful that Ollie has what it takes to drag us up the leagues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 84
Lincs Iron man
October 9, 2020, 12:41pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -577
Personally Lincoln have never been a bigger club than us (Scunthorpe) and you cant count your 10,000 crowds as 6000 are plastics that don't count. I understand you got 5-6000 regularly when Alexander was in charge but nothing like the 10,000 you have been getting last few years.
Admittedly, Lincoln look like a club going places and I don't think it'll be long before we are hit in pursuit and we will be getting crowds like you have been getting.

I do feel for Grimsby as they have got Holloway in but can only see it all ending in tears. Cods simply don't look as though they have any plan whatsoever. A long hard struggle for you is in store this season I'm afraid
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 84
Les Brechin
October 9, 2020, 12:50pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Lincs Iron man
Personally Lincoln have never been a bigger club than us (Scunthorpe) and you cant count your 10,000 crowds as 6000 are plastics that don't count. I understand you got 5-6000 regularly when Alexander was in charge but nothing like the 10,000 you have been getting last few years.
Admittedly, Lincoln look like a club going places and I don't think it'll be long before we are hit in pursuit and we will be getting crowds like you have been getting.

I do feel for Grimsby as they have got Holloway in but can only see it all ending in tears. Cods simply don't look as though they have any plan whatsoever. A long hard struggle for you is in store this season I'm afraid

Do you want to put your money where your mouth is?

A £50 charity bet that we finish higher in the table than you this season?

If Scunny finish higher then I will donate £50 to a charity of your choice, if we finish higher then you donate £50 to The Brain Tumour Charity. If the season doesn't run it's full course then a void bet.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 84
NorfolkImp
October 9, 2020, 1:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -519
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Impish2

What did Simon Inglis write in his ‘bible’ about Sincil Bank back in the 50’s ... a mini Hampden Roar?

Private Message
Reply: 63 - 84
Lincs Iron man
October 9, 2020, 1:25pm
Shandy Drinker
Yeah for sure.

I'll have a bet with you lad

Without doubt we will be in playoff spot

Can only see you trying to play catch up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 84
Les Brechin
October 9, 2020, 1:28pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Yeah for sure.

I'll have a bet with you lad

Without doubt we will be in playoff spot

Can only see you trying to play catch up

Okay, your on and no disappearing off the site early next year when we're top half and you're languishing in the bottom 2.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 84
Lincs Iron man
October 9, 2020, 1:42pm
Shandy Drinker
I won't be disappearing as very very confident this season now we have Cox in place and someone who knows the club.
Like I say it won't be king til we overtake Lincoln

I'm very surprised you want a bet tbh looking at your current plight

My charity is NSPCC lad

MIND THE GAP 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 84
HertsGTFC
October 9, 2020, 1:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings
We do have a plan. Bringing in a manager who has had success at a higher level. A manger who has put in a dollop of cash and has taken a seat on the board, who wants to be a part of all aspects of the club, has moved to the area and is clearly enthusiastic about bringing in young talent and developing them for the benefit of the club on the pitch, and hopefully future sales, which will give us more financial clout.

We were starting to look a lot better when the pandemic hit, playing good attacking football. It does seem that we have regressed more than others during the lockdown and it remains to be seen how long it takes us to get back up to speed, but I think there is a plan there.

I think we as fans are sceptical because of what has happened in the past, and looking at the poor start we have made to the season just reinforces that scepticism. If we are still struggling badly come January, then that will be the time to start questioning our direction. I'm still hopeful that Ollie has what it takes to drag us up the leagues.

I don’t disagree with any of this and to a degree I’m feeling as Ginny describes. Clearly pre COVID IH knew how he wanted to play and a fair amount of that revolves around Clarke and Chas with some additions.

What I would say in all of the above nothing provides a guaranteed income stream which we can build infrastructure on especially in an era when anyone with any money will look abroad for talent as it tends to cost less.

Like I say until this board can attract and work with other investors which BTW was I believe another reason for brining in Holloway we’re always going to be “possibles” rather than “probables” when it comes to moving up the league.

A lot of people paid and unpaid at GTFC work just as hard as anyone at Lincoln or Scunthorpe and we shouldn’t lose sight of that, I personally think we’ll improve on the field but any growth will be organic rather than radical.

Let’s not get too hung up on what other clubs do as unless you’re one of about 10 or so elite clubs football is cyclical and we’ll come good again.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 84
NorfolkImp
October 9, 2020, 2:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -519
Gold Stars: 11

Is the smoke from the steelworks finally getting to you Iron man? Unless you get the Cowley's in as Manager you are going nowhere fast, as you are at back at your natural level i.e. bottom half of the 4th Tier.

A paltry average of 6,464 a decade ago when in the 2nd Tier that's despite a packed away end every fortnight, is as good as it is ever going to be, with an equally dismal 8-10k max at Wembley for your recent visits, Imps took 29k btw.

Private Message
Reply: 68 - 84
Northbank Mariner
October 9, 2020, 3:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Love this, both of our 6 fingers cousins going at each other... I'll just go grab another beer and watch the entertainment from the side lines, crack on lads!!🤣🤣
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gimps

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.