pen penfras
October 5, 2020, 8:10am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Azimuth
I would say much as it pains me that Lincolns recebt success is fully deserved, recruted well on and off the pitch, kept the feel good factor among the fans when it mattered after a promotion and wembley victory and have reaped the rewards with increased support, in fact they have done everything we should have but have failed to do on so many occasions down the years.

They did what we didn't by spending so much money that they lost about £3.5 million in their first two years after getting promoted. I'm sure last years was even bigger. You can complain about them doing more than us all you want, but we don't have somebody willing to throw money at us and never have had. So lets cut the pretense that Lincoln have done it all by being well run, they've done it by throwing money at the problem.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 84
jamesgtfc
October 5, 2020, 9:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Azimuth
I would say much as it pains me that Lincolns recebt success is fully deserved, recruted well on and off the pitch, kept the feel good factor among the fans when it mattered after a promotion and wembley victory and have reaped the rewards with increased support, in fact they have done everything we should have but have failed to do on so many occasions down the years.

After taking advice from Squeaky on how to avoid relegation they probably thought doing the opposite would actually reap rewards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 84
HertsGTFC
October 5, 2020, 9:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from pen penfras

They did what we didn't by spending so much money that they lost about £3.5 million in their first two years after getting promoted. I'm sure last years was even bigger. You can complain about them doing more than us all you want, but we don't have somebody willing to throw money at us and never have had. So lets cut the pretense that Lincoln have done it all by being well run, they've done it by throwing money at the problem.

They also had/have a chairman that wants to work with others and others want to work with him this alongside getting back into the EFL some good cup draws and runs they’ve had the income to do the next bit.

The “next bit” being a strategy and plan to grow their club on and off the pitch. Rather than p1ssing away time and money on pipe dreams and potential sales.

This isn’t a dig at JF by the way as much as a statement of fact the alarming thing is other than Holloway coming in and sprinkling some magic dust I still don’t believe we have a credible plan to move us forward.

When I use the term moving forward I don’t expect us to destroy everyone in the league and join the Gimps at their self proclaimed elite level all I’d like to see is us competitive on the pitch and glass half full off it.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 84
golfer
October 5, 2020, 9:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
It could have all gone horribly wrong for Lincoln leaving them in irrecoverable debt so in a way luck can play a big part in success
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 84
Impish2
October 5, 2020, 9:56am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +55
Quoted from pen penfras

Money has been spent, but it has also been coming in that has been deserved/earned. Some of this has been spent on the new training ground, some on the academy, and on things like backroom staff for assessing players further afield for recruitment. We as a club don’t simply just throw money at things like Salford, Fleetwood or Mansfield. The chairman and the board work tirelessly hard to a plan within the clubs means and the link between them and the fans and community in general have never been stronger. The chairman and CEO answer questions on our forums and the transparency keeps everyone on board with all that is happening. The cup runs, ST sales, player recruitment in and out along with sensible budgeting allow us to try and establish the goal first and foremost of being a league one club.

So to answer the above post, yes plenty of money has been spent, but it is because we are a very well run club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 84
pen penfras
October 5, 2020, 11:38am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Impish2

Money has been spent, but it has also been coming in that has been deserved/earned. Some of this has been spent on the new training ground, some on the academy, and on things like backroom staff for assessing players further afield for recruitment. We as a club don’t simply just throw money at things like Salford, Fleetwood or Mansfield. The chairman and the board work tirelessly hard to a plan within the clubs means and the link between them and the fans and community in general have never been stronger. The chairman and CEO answer questions on our forums and the transparency keeps everyone on board with all that is happening. The cup runs, ST sales, player recruitment in and out along with sensible budgeting allow us to try and establish the goal first and foremost of being a league one club.

So to answer the above post, yes plenty of money has been spent, but it is because we are a very well run club.

I don't call losing £3.5M in 2 seasons a well run club. It's not money deserved or earnt, it's money that a backer is putting into the club. Fair play that you've found backers that are willing to help, but a bit of bad luck and it would be much bigger losses, backers might get bored and you end up in real trouble. Fortunately for you, it's gone well so far, but there are far more examples of clubs gambling and getting it wrong than success stories.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 84
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 5, 2020, 12:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,271
Gold Stars: 304
Quoted from HertsGTFC

They also had/have a chairman that wants to work with others and others want to work with him this alongside getting back into the EFL some good cup draws and runs they’ve had the income to do the next bit.

The “next bit” being a strategy and plan to grow their club on and off the pitch. Rather than p1ssing away time and money on pipe dreams and potential sales.

This isn’t a dig at JF by the way as much as a statement of fact the alarming thing is other than Holloway coming in and sprinkling some magic dust I still don’t believe we have a credible plan to move us forward.

When I use the term moving forward I don’t expect us to destroy everyone in the league and join the Gimps at their self proclaimed elite level all I’d like to see is us competitive on the pitch and glass half full off it.

Ha! Ha! If we won the Champions League and signed a front 3 of Messi, Haaland and Aguero the general populace of Grimsby and Cleethorpes wouldn't be 'glass half full'!!! It's in our genetic makeup to be pessimistic.

"Messi's too old, Haaland's too young (and his dad played for Leeds) and Aguero's not good in the air...we need new strikers"

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 84
MarinerDevil
October 5, 2020, 12:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,739
Gold Stars: 80
Their recent losses don't really mean anything.  They made a killing off their 2016/17 success and have used it, in combination with an uptick in investment, to build a new training ground and a successful team.

It's how you're supposed to run a football club, isn't it?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 84
sam gy
October 5, 2020, 12:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
I've got no idea abut the comings and goings of Lincoln, other than whats being said on this thread really, but...

"They've made a loss of xyz" - Speculate to accumulate? Sure they won't give a excrement about the loss in a few years if they're playing in the Championship and/or making millions by selling on players enabled by their investment in the youth/training ground etc.

"It could have gone horribly wrong" Sure they've taken a risk, but it hasn't gone wrong...in fact it seems to be going very right for them.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 84
NorfolkImp
October 7, 2020, 7:35am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -518
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from sam gy
I've got no idea abut the comings and goings of Lincoln, other than whats being said on this thread really, but...

"They've made a loss of xyz" - Speculate to accumulate? Sure they won't give a excrement about the loss in a few years if they're playing in the Championship and/or making millions by selling on players enabled by their investment in the youth/training ground etc.

"It could have gone horribly wrong" Sure they've taken a risk, but it hasn't gone wrong...in fact it seems to be going very right for them.

Lewis Montsma, Sean Roughan (17) and George Grant are 3 such players that are worth £1m+ already in my opinion, that’s taking into account the current financial climate.

Private Message
Reply: 39 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gimps

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.