9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
October 7, 2020, 8:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
People can say Lincoln have overspent, they can say they’ve had luck, they can say they’ve a ground made up of 50% of fans who couldn’t have cared less about them 5 years ago but the simple fact is, they’re operating on levels we can only dream of.

We didn’t speculate or capitalise when we were promoted, I’m not sure we’ve ever had a strategy and the investment just isn’t there. That isn’t a dig at Fenty either because simply increasing our debt to him doesn’t actually bode well for the future.

As a club Lincoln were in a mess, arguably worse than us. Until the season after we went up Lincoln were a bottom half non league club with atrocious crowds. They gambled on young, fresh managers and it worked. They did what Inter did with Jose, Man Utd did with Fergie, albeit on a smaller level, but they trusted them, they gave them control and influence and it paid off.

Will it last? Probably not but they’ve invested in their training ground, their academy, their fan base and the squad. Many expected them to fail miserably without Cowley, I know a couple of Lincoln fans who feared the worse and are still sceptical but naturally, as a fan they’re enjoying every minute of it and I don’t blame them.

As town fans we have a harping back to the days of yesteryear in the championship, punching above our weight but right now we are at a level we deserve to be at and are there through many different reasons.

What Lincoln in this instance did was hardly groundbreaking, I mean they clearly learned from their mistakes; they haven’t asked Fenty for anymore advice since he told them how to swerve relegation.

I’m not so sure being debt free necessarily means well run, and I wouldn’t say Lincoln have thrown money at it like Salford/Fleetwood and so on but they have invested. Some of that has been from a single contributor, some from on pitch success and player sales. There is some irony from a smattering of Lincoln fans who used to jealously say Town threw money at it in the conference...if only they knew haha.

But I wish them no ill feeling, I don’t regard them as a rival and whilst I enjoyed watching us beat them, I think we could do no worse than ask them for some support and ideas.

Fair play to them.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 84
jamesgtfc
October 7, 2020, 9:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from aldi_01
People can say Lincoln have overspent, they can say they’ve had luck, they can say they’ve a ground made up of 50% of fans who couldn’t have cared less about them 5 years ago but the simple fact is, they’re operating on levels we can only dream of.

We didn’t speculate or capitalise when we were promoted, I’m not sure we’ve ever had a strategy and the investment just isn’t there. That isn’t a dig at Fenty either because simply increasing our debt to him doesn’t actually bode well for the future.

As a club Lincoln were in a mess, arguably worse than us. Until the season after we went up Lincoln were a bottom half non league club with atrocious crowds. They gambled on young, fresh managers and it worked. They did what Inter did with Jose, Man Utd did with Fergie, albeit on a smaller level, but they trusted them, they gave them control and influence and it paid off.

Will it last? Probably not but they’ve invested in their training ground, their academy, their fan base and the squad. Many expected them to fail miserably without Cowley, I know a couple of Lincoln fans who feared the worse and are still sceptical but naturally, as a fan they’re enjoying every minute of it and I don’t blame them.

As town fans we have a harping back to the days of yesteryear in the championship, punching above our weight but right now we are at a level we deserve to be at and are there through many different reasons.

What Lincoln in this instance did was hardly groundbreaking, I mean they clearly learned from their mistakes; they haven’t asked Fenty for anymore advice since he told them how to swerve relegation.

I’m not so sure being debt free necessarily means well run, and I wouldn’t say Lincoln have thrown money at it like Salford/Fleetwood and so on but they have invested. Some of that has been from a single contributor, some from on pitch success and player sales. There is some irony from a smattering of Lincoln fans who used to jealously say Town threw money at it in the conference...if only they knew haha.

But I wish them no ill feeling, I don’t regard them as a rival and whilst I enjoyed watching us beat them, I think we could do no worse than ask them for some support and ideas.

Fair play to them.

I was gobsmacked that Cowley went to Lincoln before our play-off final. I honestly think that if we hadn't gone up in 2016, the pressure on Hurst would have been massive and I think that would have been the end of his reign at Town.

I wasn't in the Hurst Out camp but I felt he would move on if we lost and the one man I wanted to replace him was Cowley. You only have to look at Braintree since he left to see what a good job he did.

Lincoln have paid some good money these last couple of years but at least they have something to show for it in the form of upgraded facilities. They made £2m from that cup run in the Conference then followed it up with another decent run the next year. Rumour is that we got £750k for Bogle and what do we have to show for it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 84
aldi_01
October 7, 2020, 12:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
A new portacabin?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 84
mimma
October 7, 2020, 4:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
They've had a lot of luck with cup draws that's swelled their coffers considerably.

We seem to be the opposite with cup draws, we don't seem to get the really big ones, and when we do they only charge a tenner a head.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 84
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 7, 2020, 6:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Cup draws along with winning the Conference were the initial catalyst but they now sell 6000 season tickets and are increasing the capacity of Sinny Bank. I have lived here for over 40 years and I still can’t comprehend how they have galvanised the level of interest in fans that historically went once a year if the sun shone.

Clearly they have a very savvy Chief Executive and a board that is innovative and actively pursuing at all times other investors.

Painful living here on the footie front, especially after their start to the season, but we live in hope that something similar might happen at town!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 84
NorfolkImp
October 7, 2020, 6:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -518
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Cup draws along with winning the Conference were the initial catalyst but they now sell 6000 season tickets and are increasing the capacity of Sinny Bank. I have lived here for over 40 years and I still can’t comprehend how they have galvanised the level of interest in fans that historically went once a year if the sun shone.

Clearly they have a very savvy Chief Executive and a board that is innovative and actively pursuing at all times other investors.

Painful living here on the footie front, especially after their start to the season, but we live in hope that something similar might happen at town!!!!

Obviously the Cowley's were the catalyst in a way not seen since Graham Taylor did back in the mid-70's, and 3 trophies in 4 years is unprecedented at lower league level.

When they left for Huddersfield 12 months ago, most of us thought attendances would drop, and at present we have no way of knowing what they'll be once this Covid situation eases and fans are allowed back inside Sincil Bank. One thing I do know is that despite a 40% drop in budget, the recruitment by Appleton this summer has been staggering and the football technically is possibly the best I've ever seen in 45 years of watching The Imps.

Private Message
Reply: 45 - 84
moosey_club
October 7, 2020, 7:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from mimma
They've had a lot of luck with cup draws that's swelled their coffers considerably.

We seem to be the opposite with cup draws, we don't seem to get the really big ones, and when we do they only charge a tenner a head.

Yeah, if only we had such luck in getting the cup draws they had....round after round after round  instead of being so unlucky to go out virtually first round every time

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 84
denni266
October 7, 2020, 10:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
They will probably go up again this season if it runs its full term  , and will throw money at it to stay there  .. meanwhile back here  the club will be happy not to go down and will be happy to shop in poundland for anyone that cannot get a club . And will be happy just to tread water and stay in the league
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 84
jamesgtfc
October 7, 2020, 10:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from denni266
They will probably go up again this season if it runs its full term  , and will throw money at it to stay there  .. meanwhile back here  the club will be happy not to go down and will be happy to shop in poundland for anyone that cannot get a club . And will be happy just to tread water and stay in the league

Financially League 1 is a big step up from League 2 but it's an even bigger step up to the Championship. Do you think their owners will fund it or try yo-yo for a few years?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 84
denni266
October 8, 2020, 10:17am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Financially League 1 is a big step up from League 2 but it's an even bigger step up to the Championship. Do you think their owners will fund it or try yo-yo for a few years?

I think they will try and fund it while they have the momentum, no point in standing still as thats when you start going backwards . now where have i seen that happining  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gimps

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.