9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
October 8, 2020, 11:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
They have funded plan and it’s worked and no doubt will continue to move them forward. Their board talked about a ambition at the time our board just moaned that everything was against them.

We haven’t had the necessary funding to have a robust plan in fact up until recently the plan from the board has been to sell the club. Don’t even get me started on all the breath wasted over a new stadium.

Now that Holloway has turned up I’m still not sure what our plan is to be honest.

Like I said on a previous post Nates wants to work with other investors and other investors want to work with him.

Other than Holloway sticking some money in we have had no serious “B share“ investors what does that tell you about the top table or the people sat at it?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 84
Limerick Mariner
October 8, 2020, 6:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,694
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Obviously the Cowley's were the catalyst in a way not seen since Graham Taylor did back in the mid-70's, and 3 trophies in 4 years is unprecedented at lower league level.

When they left for Huddersfield 12 months ago, most of us thought attendances would drop, and at present we have no way of knowing what they'll be once this Covid situation eases and fans are allowed back inside Sincil Bank. One thing I do know is that despite a 40% drop in budget, the recruitment by Appleton this summer has been staggering and the football technically is possibly the best I've ever seen in 45 years of watching The Imps.

Not that difficult to achieve is that really? Have Lincoln had any success in the last 45 years with anything other than a robust, muscular, area-bombing based playing style?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 84
Heisenberg
October 8, 2020, 6:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,044
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from denni266

I think they will try and fund it while they have the momentum, no point in standing still as thats when you start going backwards . now where have i seen that happining  

Bournemouth are no bigger a club than either Town or Lincoln, and with funding they made it to the Premier League. We’ll never do it, but if Lincoln go up, they might as well give it a damned good go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 84
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 8, 2020, 6:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Not that difficult to achieve is that really? Have Lincoln had any success in the last 45 years with anything other than a robust, muscular, area-bombing based playing style?

I’m certainly no Lincoln fan but the team they had in the early eighties, and youngsters they had in the reserves should have seen them join town in the then named division 2, however, unlike today their Chairman of the time, Gilbert Blades, had a now infamous meeting at the Grand Hotel were, with a couple of months of the season left and them on or near the top of the league, that they couldn’t afford promotion and they subsequently fell away. I know this to be true as one of their players, the late Dave Carr, was one of my best mates. This meeting was also discussed at Dave’s funeral by two other players from that team Wayne Turner and Derek Bell.

Can’t remember all their players but the following all went on to play in our top division, David Felgate, Steve Thompson, Trevor Peake, Glen Cockerill, Gordon Shipley, Mick Harford, Tony Cunningham, Gordon Hobson.

In the reserves at that time were Stuart Naylor, Gary Strodder, Phil Turner, Wayne Biggins and Dave Gilbert many of whom went on to have excellent professional careers. I used to delight at the way they cocked things up and never had any ambition as a club but times have now changed and god do I get reminded of that fact every trip to the pub or round of golf.

Come on Gimps member it up again and cheer me up!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 84
NorfolkImp
October 8, 2020, 8:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -519
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

I’m certainly no Lincoln fan but the team they had in the early eighties, and youngsters they had in the reserves should have seen them join town in the then named division 2, however, unlike today their Chairman of the time, Gilbert Blades, had a now infamous meeting at the Grand Hotel were, with a couple of months of the season left and them on or near the top of the league, that they couldn’t afford promotion and they subsequently fell away. I know this to be true as one of their players, the late Dave Carr, was one of my best mates. This meeting was also discussed at Dave’s funeral by two other players from that team Wayne Turner and Derek Bell.

Can’t remember all their players but the following all went on to play in our top division, David Felgate, Steve Thompson, Trevor Peake, Glen Cockerill, Gordon Shipley, Mick Harford, Tony Cunningham, Gordon Hobson.

In the reserves at that time were Stuart Naylor, Gary Strodder, Phil Turner, Wayne Biggins and Dave Gilbert many of whom went on to have excellent professional careers. I used to delight at the way they cocked things up and never had any ambition as a club but times have now changed and god do I get reminded of that fact every trip to the pub or round of golf.

Absolutely spot on reply, and your facts are correct ... I remember that 82/83 season and still don’t understand how we didn’t join Town in the 2nd Tier although attendances weren’t great under Colin Murphy. I was only a teenager but couldn’t understand it (as Thatcher had hardly decimated our local Industry) especially as I believed Lincoln to be a ‘footballing City’ with a Sunday League of 10 Divisions strong.

Thankfully things have finally changed although it’s taken almost  4 decades to get there, it’s typical that Covid has chosen this bleedin’ year to strike, so we’re not in SB to cheer them on 😩

Private Message
Reply: 54 - 84
Limerick Mariner
October 8, 2020, 8:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,694
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Remember some of those players - 3 of whom went on to play for Town. Hobson was quality - others quite "robust".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 84
LH
October 8, 2020, 9:00pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,509
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Thankfully things have finally changed although it’s taken almost  4 decades to get there, it’s typical that Covid has chosen this bleedin’ year to strike, so we’re not in SB to cheer them on 😩

Think of it as a chance for this new squad to experience the authentic Sincil Bank atmosphere.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 84
Impish2
October 8, 2020, 11:04pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +55
Quoted from LH

Think of it as a chance for this new squad to experience the authentic Sincil Bank atmosphere.

You mean an atmosphere like this?

https://twitter.com/LincolnCity_FC/status/1313071438073679873?s=20

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 84
KingstonMariner
October 9, 2020, 12:15am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from aldi_01
A new portacabin?

How many times do you have to be told?! It’s a state of the art portakabin.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 84
aldi_01
October 9, 2020, 6:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Sorry my bad...it’s not just any old portakabin.

In all seriousness, as folk have said, Lincoln seemingly have a plan, a vision and some idea of where they want the club to go. That’s what is lacking at our own club. We’ve brought a named manager in, someone people think will revolutionise is but yet we’re still really waiting for some idea of a plan or how we move forward.

As discussed, we’ve heard nothing positive for the last 6 months, even now our owners puppet has been talking about curtailing the season. That naturally has an effect on the morale at the club and the fans.

Whilst some of us will never see Lincoln as a rival, it is annoying and frustrating to see a club not far away, who were arguably in a worse position than us literally fly past us. Good luck to them, and for the 2500 that were there during the terrible times, I hope they’re loving every minute of it.

Those folk are pragmatic enough to know it can’t/won’t last forever but they’ll flipping enjoy it and rightly so.

They’ve invested on and off the pitch, invested in the fan base, marketed the club well and found ways to draw people in, and keep them coming back.

GTFC aren’t the only club that have failed to do those things, but if we look at our own club, we’ve seen shoots of some innovative ideas and dipped a toe in the progressive pool but then we’ve quickly reverted to type. Really sad actually because with those ideas and forethought GTFC could have all those things.

Good luck to them and enjoy it while it lasts.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gimps

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.