Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 33 Guests

Coronavirus

This thread currently has 382,912 views. Print
347 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
March 9, 2020, 9:14am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
The sad thing is that if people followed basic hygiene practices then the spread of this virus could be contained much better. I'm talking about the basic things that should be taught to children - wash your hands more frequently, sneeze into a tissue and bin it. What amazes me most though is the number of men I see who never wash their hands after going to the toilet! What I find even more disturbing is the common practice of men taking their drink into the toilets at a pub or club - absolutely disgusting and it goes against all sensible hygiene practice.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 3468
BenBB
March 9, 2020, 9:27am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +843
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from rancido
What I find even more disturbing is the common practice of men taking their drink into the toilets at a pub or club - absolutely disgusting and it goes against all sensible hygiene practice.

Better than leaving your drink to get spiked or stolen/taken away.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 51 - 3468
rancido
March 9, 2020, 9:42am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from BenBB

Better than leaving your drink to get spiked or stolen/taken away.

And that reply sadly reflects our society - more bothered about having a drink stolen than preventing the spread of disease!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 3468
Ipswin
March 9, 2020, 10:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Maringer
Human nature, unfortunately. When the plans for the quarantine were leaked in Italy, there was a rush of people to get out and head down south, apparently! Exactly the opposite of what the quarantine was intended to achieve through sheer stupidity.

Expect the same to happen here if quarantines are announced.

If they quarantine an area in UK like Norfolk and Suffolk for example (no declared cases yet) I don't give a excrement if loads of people decide to rush out and take any virus with them so long as they enforce a border to stop folk coming in.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 3468
Ipswin
March 9, 2020, 10:15am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido
The sad thing is that if people followed basic hygiene practices then the spread of this virus could be contained much better. I'm talking about the basic things that should be taught to children - wash your hands more frequently, sneeze into a tissue and bin it. What amazes me most though is the number of men I see who never wash their hands after going to the toilet! What I find even more disturbing is the common practice of men taking their drink into the toilets at a pub or club - absolutely disgusting and it goes against all sensible hygiene practice.

The problem with public toilets is that after washing your hands you have to get hold of the door handle on the outer door to get out!

Private Message
Reply: 54 - 3468
MarinerMal
March 9, 2020, 12:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Marinerz93

From the WHO website
Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). A novel coronavirus (nCoV) is a new strain that has not been previously identified in humans.

The flu virus and Corona virus attack respiratory systems, both can lead to pneumonia.

“This virus is not SARS, it’s not MERS, and it’s not influenza,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a briefing Tuesday, referencing other coronaviruses that have caused smaller outbreaks. “It is a unique virus with unique characteristics.”

“We don’t even talk about containment for seasonal flu — it’s just not possible,” Tedros said. “But it is possible for Covid-19. We don’t do contact-tracing for seasonal flu — but countries should do it for Covid-19, because it will prevent infections and save lives. Containment is possible.”

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03/who-coronavirus-different-than-influenza-can-be-contained/

Seems reasonable to me to follow the advice being given if we can help contain or even just slow down the virus. I don't quite get the attitude of "Hey! Flu kills more people so we shouldn't be even bothering"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 3468
GrimRob
March 9, 2020, 12:50pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Some of the bogs at football grounds are practically viral factories

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 56 - 3468
Ipswin
March 9, 2020, 12:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

The problem with public toilets is that after washing your hands you have to get hold of the door handle on the outer door to get out!

I've collected red Xs for this for some reason. Unless folk have devised another way of opening the exit door from a public toilet (using their teeth perhaps) then it's unavoidable that you need to use your newly washed hand to grasp a handle previously held by some twit who has had a excrement or urine and bypassed the washing facitlity on his way out.

Private Message
Reply: 57 - 3468
aldi_01
March 9, 2020, 12:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from rancido

And that reply sadly reflects our society - more bothered about having a drink stolen than preventing the spread of disease!

You mean it reflects badly on society that someone would steal a drink?

Wanting to protect what you have is no different to locking your car for instance...if you’ve spent 5/6quid on a drink then  it’s understandable.

Basic hygiene is simply that but if people can’t be arsed then that’s on them I’m afraid. The bloke takes his drink to the bog because it may get swiped, that’s on society, not the person protecting their purchase...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 3468
Marinerz93
March 9, 2020, 1:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from MarinerMal

“This virus is not SARS, it’s not MERS, and it’s not influenza,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a briefing Tuesday, referencing other coronaviruses that have caused smaller outbreaks. “It is a unique virus with unique characteristics.”

“We don’t even talk about containment for seasonal flu — it’s just not possible,” Tedros said. “But it is possible for Covid-19. We don’t do contact-tracing for seasonal flu — but countries should do it for Covid-19, because it will prevent infections and save lives. Containment is possible.”

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03/who-coronavirus-different-than-influenza-can-be-contained/

Seems reasonable to me to follow the advice being given if we can help contain or even just slow down the virus. I don't quite get the attitude of "Hey! Flu kills more people so we shouldn't be even bothering"

I've never said not to bother, we are exposed to far worse every day, we breathe in particles that could easily lead to cancer, especially living on the south bank. Our bodies are far more resilient that people realise. Yes there will be deaths from this virus as there are other contagious viruses, however the media have whipped up a frenzy over this and it isn't justified. The flu kills thousands every year in the UK, how many have actually died in China as a percentage per population it doesn't even come close to what people die from in this country Heart disease being the biggest killer, where is the media frenzy over that.

Your right this virus isn't MERS or SARS and it is estimated that it won't cause as many deaths as those two.

Basic hygiene and alcohol kill this virus as they do other contagious viruses. Put this CV19 into context it isn't the Spanish Flu or black death it is a flu type virus most may get but will recover from. If you are between 0 and 40 you have something like a 0.2% chance it could kill you. The older you are and with more health conditions that gets higher up to 80+ at 18 %.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 3468
347 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.