Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Manager
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 414 Guests

New Manager

This thread currently has 90,140 views. Print
46 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
November 25, 2019, 6:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from dicko995
I give up on all the throw abouts, lets just make history before we fold, and employ a woman manager, at least the toilets will smell fresh, and I bet she wont have her bra searched at Stevenage

No wonder you've got the name you have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 455
Poojah
November 25, 2019, 7:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,492
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from chaos33
It’s ok people promoting Pete Wild and Ian Evatt, but if you look into their careers they’ve got practically no managerial experience between them, especially at EFL level. They might have worked in EFL academies or been short term caretaker but that’s about it. I can’t see much to commend them on that basis and can’t find what level of coaching qualifications they have. They seem to be favoured almost entirely on the basis that the teams they manage in the conference are currently going well, and that’s it. Is that really more of a case than the bloke who emails the telewag and says ‘Craig Disley and Ben Davies for me’. It’s not based on a balanced view of key aspects.

I hear you (and generally agree with you) but that’s always going to be the risk if you want to go down the route of a currently successful, up and coming manager. To all intents and purposes that described Bignot when we appointed him, but that’s where due diligence comes in (which we clearly failed to do on that occasion).

The Cowley’s had little experience at what you might consider an EFL sized club prior to joining Lincoln, and it didn’t do them any harm.

On Evatt in particular, when he took over at Barrow they had just stayed up in the Conference by a single position and point. Last season they finished tenth. This season, they’re currently top and playing expansive, passing football to boot.

I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m good mates with the brother of Barrow’s young back-up keeper Johnny Saltmer, and often chat with him about how he’s getting on. Apparently, he rates Evatt as the best man manager he’s ever worked for and he’s previously been a part of the Hull first-team squad under the likes of Marco Silva and Leonid Slutsky.

Tactically he reckons he’s superb too. Funnily enough, the lad trained with Town for a few months last season and said that whilst Jolley was a good guy, he was trying to be way too clever and asking too much of League Two players in terms of systems etc.

Whichever option we take it’s a risk - I just hope that it’s a well calculated one.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 455
mariner91
November 25, 2019, 7:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,640
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from chaos33

Keep talking us down mate and set those sights low then.
We are a big club in L2 with strong support and we need to be ambitious and confident. It is only November and the teams doing well in the conference have achieved nothing yet. Evatt and Wild may show promise but they are undercooked and represent something of a (cheap) gamble. I know all appointments are risky but I’d rather we were more diligent, looked at ticks in more boxes across the range and pushed the boat out for quality. Why shouldn’t Tisdale or Heckinbottom come here? Do we have less L2 or even L1 potential than Exeter?! Blimey - Wycombe are top of L1! We should take note and look for an appointment who is also striving to take us upwards, not someone who’s chuffed to get the chance to manage at this level whilst they learn their trade.

Six month rolling contracts but presumably having to relocate to an area of the country that isn't particularly desirable (I love Lincolnshire, I think it's great, but it's not viewed that way by outsiders) or having to spend large amounts of time away from your family.

The chairman has already said it will have to be one out before we can get one in. We have had little to no investment for virtually two decades and have managed a single top half finish in the EFL since the turn of the century. The playing budget isn't the worst in the league but it's not the best by a long shot and when you're out on a limb geographically that probably plays a bit in missing out on lots of decent players. People talk, they will know that the club is run horrendously by the current board.

Our training ground is a joke but it does have some luxury portakabins. Our stadium is crumbling and there is still no sign that we will change grounds any time soon.

Our history with managers is pretty damning too. Fail here and you are unlikely to ever work again in the FL as a manager. And the odds of you succeeding here are stacked against you.

We have a decent fanbase for L2 but with the current board there is little, if any, potential. Given all the factors above, why would a manager who has had success in the FL potentially risk their career by accepting the job? I'm sure some might if we offered them enough money but when it's the choice between Fenty taking out another £200K from the budget to repay himself or paying enough for a proven manager then realistically which scenario do you think is most likely to play out?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 455
arryarryarry
November 25, 2019, 7:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Quoted from mariner91

Six month rolling contracts but presumably having to relocate to an area of the country that isn't particularly desirable (I love Lincolnshire, I think it's great, but it's not viewed that way by outsiders) or having to spend large amounts of time away from your family.

The chairman has already said it will have to be one out before we can get one in. We have had little to no investment for virtually two decades and have managed a single top half finish in the EFL since the turn of the century. The playing budget isn't the worst in the league but it's not the best by a long shot and when you're out on a limb geographically that probably plays a bit in missing out on lots of decent players. People talk, they will know that the club is run horrendously by the current board.

Our training ground is a joke but it does have some luxury portakabins. Our stadium is crumbling and there is still no sign that we will change grounds any time soon.

Our history with managers is pretty damning too. Fail here and you are unlikely to ever work again in the FL as a manager. And the odds of you succeeding here are stacked against you.

We have a decent fanbase for L2 but with the current board there is little, if any, potential. Given all the factors above, why would a manager who has had success in the FL potentially risk their career by accepting the job? I'm sure some might if we offered them enough money but when it's the choice between Fenty taking out another £200K from the budget to repay himself or paying enough for a proven manager then realistically which scenario do you think is most likely to play out?

I cannot remember the last time I was there if ever.

Why is it a joke?
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 455
chaos33
November 25, 2019, 7:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Maybe I’m being too ambitious and idealistic then.
Survivalism it is.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 455
TownSNAFU5
November 25, 2019, 7:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Well at least 3 Fishy posters have reported excellent independent feedback on how good the Barrow manager is and the stylish and successful football they have been playing this season. After just avoiding relegation last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 455
golfer
November 25, 2019, 7:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Quoted from chaos33

Wow, a few months into his second season of management at a lower level.

And he has been able to turn a pissy poor team into a lot better one playing how football should be played.  P.S. he's done us a favour already by getting sent off when we played Chesterfield
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 455
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 25, 2019, 7:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Poojah

I hear you (and generally agree with you) but that’s always going to be the risk if you want to go down the route of a currently successful, up and coming manager. To all intents and purposes that described Bignot when we appointed him, but that’s where due diligence comes in (which we clearly failed to do on that occasion).

The Cowley’s had little experience at what you might consider an EFL sized club prior to joining Lincoln, and it didn’t do them any harm.

On Evatt in particular, when he took over at Barrow they had just stayed up in the Conference by a single position and point. Last season they finished tenth. This season, they’re currently top and playing expansive, passing football to boot.

I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m good mates with the brother of Barrow’s young back-up keeper Johnny Saltmer, and often chat with him about how he’s getting on. Apparently, he rates Evatt as the best man manager he’s ever worked for and he’s previously been a part of the Hull first-team squad under the likes of Marco Silva and Leonid Slutsky.

Tactically he reckons he’s superb too. Funnily enough, the lad trained with Town for a few months last season and said that whilst Jolley was a good guy, he was trying to be way too clever and asking too much of League Two players in terms of systems etc.

Whichever option we take it’s a risk - I just hope that it’s a well calculated one.

Evatt is full of praise for Ian Holloway who was his manager at Blackpool. It sounds as though his own style owes a fair bit to the Holloway creed.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 455
Rik e B
November 25, 2019, 7:58pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Quoted from Poojah

I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m good mates with the brother of Barrow’s young back-up keeper Johnny Saltmer, and often chat with him about how he’s getting on. Apparently, he rates Evatt as the best man manager he’s ever worked

Tactically he reckons he’s superb too.  

Sounds like all the hallmarks of an up and coming manager on a positive spiral which is what I personally would like to see.

Of course they not going to have bucket loads of experience, hence the up and coming tag, or have managed in the EFL, but you can bet your bottom dollar the likes of him inevitably will.

Probably next season if stays at Barrow, and like for example Hurst who was similar, I'm sure the wheels wouldn't suddenly come off as they bamboozled by a sudden different approach needed just because hot the EFL tag.

Slade MkI got the job (almost) done straight from coming from the depths of Non-league.

Man management, tactical nous etc etc carries on just the same, you sign a few higher level players on arrival, because you now can (if promoted) and crack on positively with the same winning formula as before.

But would Evatt want to miss out on a promotion under his CV, with a positive board who backing him and behind him?

We'd need to dangle a big old carrot, would Fenty do that really?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 455
Rik e B
November 25, 2019, 7:59pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Ps. of course Hurst took a lot longer to turn a failing club around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 455
46 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Manager

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.