Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Manager
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 240 Guests

New Manager

This thread currently has 90,113 views. Print
46 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Davec
November 24, 2019, 1:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Morecambe managed to attract Derek Adams who got Plymouth promoted and then the following season got them into league 1 play offs, so if they can attract a proven manager like him then surely we can attract somebody half decent if we put our mind to it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 455
dicko995
November 24, 2019, 1:59pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
Alan Buckley has attended many a game, on the radio he tells us all whats wrong, even if its temporary, pick up the phone John, and give him a call, give him a tracksuit and let him try and unravel this mess. Too many names are being bantered about, and the clock is ticking, don't leave it too late. And when he answers the phone John... call him Sir.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 455
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 24, 2019, 2:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from dicko995
Alan Buckley has attended many a game, on the radio he tells us all whats wrong, even if its temporary, pick up the phone John, and give him a call, give him a tracksuit and let him try and unravel this mess. Too many names are being bantered about, and the clock is ticking, don't leave it too late. And when he answers the phone John... call him Sir.  

Saying what’s wrong and being capable of fixing it are two very different things.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 455
golfer
November 24, 2019, 2:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Went to fortnum and masons years ago for Christmas and ended up sharing a table with her dad!

I was in Fortnum and Masons years ago one Xmas doing my Marty Wilde impersonation when a scruffy youth came and sat next to me at my table. He didn't seem very intelligent and kept looking me in the eyes and saying something about a teenager in love with me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 455
bigdavemariner
November 24, 2019, 2:32pm
UTM
Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 4
Can't afford a gamble on someone completely unknown for me..every manager we bring in will be a gamble, there's no way of knowing if it's going to work but we need to minimise the risk of bringing in a new man.

I'm hearing the usual noise, we're not gonna go down, only one relegation place etc. We were saying the same things when we went non league.

We're in real danger of getting relegated unless we fix things leading up to Xmas. We currently don't look like we could buy a goal let alone a win. Yes yesterday the first 30 mins we looked much better but If we have a dreadful run over the festive period there's a very real risk we could be drawn into a relegation fight.

If we need to throw money at things for me it's something we need to do. Easy for me to say as it's not my money and I don't hold the purse strings but we need some quality and leadership, both on the pitch and the managerial team.

Usual names being banded about along with anyone half decent doing well in the the 2 leagues below us are being plucked out the hat (not convinced many of us know anything about these non league managers other than looking at a teams form and googling the managers name). If you've watched the Salford documentary (yes I know they had money), but the 2 lads in charge who had 5 promotions in 6 seasons or something daft, on paper sound like brilliant young up and coming managers. If you watch the documentary you'll see they're 2 absolute donuts whos man management and tactical work was to shout like frig at everyone and throw cups of tea about. My point being on paper managers sound great but the reality is league football is a massive step up. Makes me nervous bringing someone in learning their trade. We need experience, we can't afford to get this wrong!

Maybe dreaming but would love someone with the quality and experience of Nigel Adkins. If that's too ambitious we need to be looking at managers with good experience in league one and 2.

The ex Barnsley boss Paul Heckingbottom?
Tisdale?

Whoever comes in needs to have the confidence and experience to shake things up and give this team belief. Someone with the qualities to put a rocket up them and make the team work and run themselves into the ground

Gary Lump Lump Lump!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 455
Teesknees
November 24, 2019, 2:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Went to fortnum and masons years ago for Christmas and ended up sharing a table with her dad!

Did you have a sauce with it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 455
rancido
November 24, 2019, 3:29pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,528
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from dicko995

You either have forgotten or wasn't watching town when he last managed us. Some of his signings were dire. Didn't he bring in Matt Heywood and Jamie Clarke?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 455
golfer
November 24, 2019, 4:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Yes but he's more mature now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 455
dicko995
November 24, 2019, 4:52pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
Rancido, ive been watching Town since I was 6 years old, I was a regular in the Boys Stand in the Barrets, my elder brother took me to every game, so that adds up to 59 years of being a Town fan. Ive seen managers come and go, seen the demise of bringing in player managers of Bobby Kennedy and Mike Lyons, after Ron Ashman left, I can only count a few managers who went for the glory of the Mariner Badge, Buckley was one of them, besides Laurie there hasn't been a definite messiah. I pledged a donation for Joe Waters, wined and dined on coca cola and burger at George Higgins house, attende the Ground to watch the players train, and get autographs. So don't tell me I never watched Alan Buckley manage us, or even forgotten. I simply added to a topic on here, and as usual, I get an idiot calling me for my thought on the subject. Its always the same on here, you try to put your reasons forward for thought, and then someone ridicules ya.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 455
moosey_club
November 24, 2019, 5:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,201
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from jamesgtfc

No chance of Weaver, his dad is one of the richest men in Yorkshire .

Haha...that tickled me...sounds like a line from a Brontë novel

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 455
46 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Manager

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.