Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Manager
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 224 Guests

New Manager

This thread currently has 90,109 views. Print
46 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
November 25, 2019, 6:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Teestogreen
In this case - don't agree. The experienced managers available at this level are the losers.

The inexperienced one we took a chance on turned out to be a loser too

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 455
lew chaterleys lover
November 25, 2019, 6:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Just had a ganders at the Halifax forum.

They are not happy with Pete Wild it seems.

Performances have dropped off after a promising start and he is arguing with the home fans (where have we heard that before)

Of course they could be putting us off the scent.

It should be a great fillip to have a new manager but this time it all feels so depressing - whoever it is is going to have a difficult job.
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 455
dicko995
November 25, 2019, 6:18pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
I give up on all the throw abouts, lets just make history before we fold, and employ a woman manager, at least the toilets will smell fresh, and I bet she wont have her bra searched at Stevenage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 455
chaos33
November 25, 2019, 6:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from mariner91

I disagree. What manager who has done well in the EFL would want to come here? The ones who are available and within our reach are the ones who aren't very good. Wild hasn't got much managing experience so I would be wary of that one. But Evatt is in his second season and is leading the league below us with a team playing good football whilst working on a shoestring budget. He's had a good career as a player at higher levels so would presumably have some contacts in the EFL but also would know who to look for from non-league, an avenue Jolley neglected. He would be my choice but I doubt he'd come..

Wow, a few months into his second season of management at a lower level.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 455
mariner91
November 25, 2019, 6:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,575
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from chaos33

A lower level perhaps but the teams in the play off positions in non-league tend to be about the same standard as the lower half of L2. I certainly doubt we'd be at the top if we were playing at that level with this team.

Again, who is available, within our each, has more experience and has been successful elsewhere in the EFL? The only one who has done anything that we would maybe have an outside sniff at would be Paul Tisdale but I would be amazed if he came here. We are not an attractive proposition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 455
KingstonMariner
November 25, 2019, 6:37pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Appoint new manager. Maybe a bit of a lift. Bumble along lower half of L2, have a bad run after flirting with playoffs. Lose manager in odd circumstances < 2 years from departure of last one. Rinse and repeat.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 455
chaos33
November 25, 2019, 6:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from mariner91

A lower level perhaps but the teams in the play off positions in non-league tend to be about the same standard as the lower half of L2. I certainly doubt we'd be at the top if we were playing at that level with this team.

Again, who is available, within our each, has more experience and has been successful elsewhere in the EFL? The only one who has done anything that we would maybe have an outside sniff at would be Paul Tisdale but I would be amazed if he came here. We are not an attractive proposition.

Keep talking us down mate and set those sights low then.
We are a big club in L2 with strong support and we need to be ambitious and confident. It is only November and the teams doing well in the conference have achieved nothing yet. Evatt and Wild may show promise but they are undercooked and represent something of a (cheap) gamble. I know all appointments are risky but I’d rather we were more diligent, looked at ticks in more boxes across the range and pushed the boat out for quality. Why shouldn’t Tisdale or Heckinbottom come here? Do we have less L2 or even L1 potential than Exeter?! Blimey - Wycombe are top of L1! We should take note and look for an appointment who is also striving to take us upwards, not someone who’s chuffed to get the chance to manage at this level whilst they learn their trade.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 455
Teestogreen
November 25, 2019, 6:46pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Ipswin

The inexperienced one we took a chance on turned out to be a loser too

Agreed - but his experience was inexperience at managerial level in this country - or indeed at the level required for the league we are in

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 455
Rodley Mariner
November 25, 2019, 6:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from chaos33

To be fair to M91 it's not down to him to sell the club but our non-chairman has said the budget has gone bar 1 out 1 in in January and he offers 6 month rolling contracts. Is that going to be enough to attract someone like Tidsdale?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 455
Rik e B
November 25, 2019, 6:54pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Are we really a truly unattractive proposition? This squad as it is can mix it with all but the very best in this division if firing on all cylinders, we are a historic club with a passionate large fanbase and we are told there are 'exciting times' ahead with the new stadium and all the positivity of the Greater Grimsby Project, be that under new ownership or not.

We are a club that's making money to survive so there no risk of a mass offloading of highest earners or risk people will not get paid, unlike many clubs who permanently dicing with danger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 455
46 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Manager

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.