Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Manager
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 161 Guests

New Manager

This thread currently has 90,088 views. Print
46 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Rik e B
November 25, 2019, 3:32pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
There's not that many nearly-qualified-enough BAME candidates going about though is there? I get the sentiment as more should definitely be encouraged but if time has to be spent interviewing a token applicant who miles off the criteria needed then that just a bit daft really, degrading for applicant to go through as well.

Wasn't Bignot BAME? So we've gone further than most clubs, I'm wondering if offering an interview to more suitably qualified BAME potential candidates (than tokens) even if they turn down offer could be seen as an acceptable attempt to equality abiding?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 455
grimsby pete
November 25, 2019, 3:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
I think the way it works is if 20 people apply for the job,

One of them is BAME then if the shortlist is down to 6 for the interview stage,

He is the only one guaranteed the interview.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 455
RichMariner
November 25, 2019, 3:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,129
Gold Stars: 209
Quoted from Rik e B
There's not that many nearly-qualified-enough BAME candidates going about though is there? I get the sentiment as more should definitely be encouraged but if time has to be spent interviewing a token applicant who miles off the criteria needed then that just a bit daft really, degrading for applicant to go through as well.

Wasn't Bignot BAME? So we've gone further than most clubs, I'm wondering if offering an interview to more suitably qualified BAME potential candidates (than tokens) even if they turn down offer could be seen as an acceptable attempt to equality abiding?

There probably aren't enough BAME candidates going about, and the reason for this isn't straightforward. But one of the main issues is that they don't feel it's a welcoming environment that gives them a fair chance.

We talk about inspiration a lot. England winning the cricket world cup inspires a new generation of young cricketers. Team GB bringing home the gold from the latest Olympics inspires more people to go out and get fit. South Africa winning the world cup inspires more black people to take up rugby, which has traditionally been a white-dominated sport.

It's a bit chicken-and-egg. There won't be many BAME managers because they need to take inspiration from those who have made it, and not enough are making it.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 102 - 455
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 25, 2019, 4:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from RichMariner
I don't see why anyone has a problem with the Rooney Rule.

Say, for example, that 5 credible managers are interviewed for the Grimsby job, and they're all white males. Why would it hurt to interview a 6th who's BAME? It's one extra person; he wouldn't be 'replacing' anyone.

And no one is telling us that we have to hire the BAME candidate. We'll still hire the best candidate and the final decision rests with the club.

It's so easy for us white males (and females) who have never been victims of race hate crimes to sit here and moan about something like this. But, let's be honest, we don't know what it must be like to feel ignored and overlooked because of the colour of our skin, so who are we to judge?

I just fail to see why people have such a bee in their bonnet about this. I would also presume that a BAME applicant would probably be just as qualified as anyone else, so the idea that it's a token gesture and they're somehow weaker is missing the mark.

Apart from being a patronising "Be a good white boy chairman and give a BAME candidate an interview." I do wonder what happens when we get to the reverse end of the positive discrimination. "He only got the job because he's BAME" is a big weight for anyone to carry.

Like I said earlier, cast your eyes on the EFL show and see how many black players there are now. But they are players, they are young or relatively young and therefore the argument that BAME players are not sufficiently represented in management doesn't hold water does it? There cannot be not sufficient candidates ....... yet.

But, if we have this conversation in 10 or 20 years time and the percentage BAME situation in management was the same as now when most of these players have retired and qualify to be coaches and managers, then it would be a cogent argument.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 455
November 25, 2019, 4:12pm
Guest User
Read about paul elliott and why he was sacked from his fa racial equality job. Only called a fellow black bloke - richard rufus a black person.... Even tried to justify it by saying its ok if black says to black.. Make your own rules up then mr fa equality man lol... Imagine if it was a white person smashing a black bloke in the head with a helmet like in nfl the other week. The world would stop turning its going too far
Reply: 104 - 455
November 25, 2019, 4:15pm
Guest User
The n word he described him as btw
Reply: 105 - 455
Teestogreen
November 25, 2019, 4:24pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from golfer
We want Evatt -  We want Evatt -  We want Evatt

Well - some light relief - yes - I agree with Golfer. The manager who is performing best in a sphere below Town's level and (hopefully resources) is Ian Evatt - currently at Barrow FC. No brainer for going for him i.m.o.

UTM

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 455
chrissy
November 25, 2019, 4:33pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
Doubt he would leave their for a 6 month rolling contract.

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 455
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 25, 2019, 4:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Teestogreen

Well - some light relief - yes - I agree with Golfer. The manager who is performing best in a sphere below Town's level and (hopefully resources) is Ian Evatt - currently at Barrow FC. No brainer for going for him i.m.o.

UTM

Agreed. He has done well. But according to the Gregor Robertson piece I posted earlier he does not seem too interested in moving.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 455
MuddyWaters
November 25, 2019, 4:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,175
Gold Stars: 233
Just looked at Skybet - Pete Wild (Halifax) is now 4-1 from 9-1.
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 455
46 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Manager

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.