Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If Michael Jolley was to leave..
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 208 Guests

If Michael Jolley was to leave..

This thread currently has 14,920 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
October 20, 2019, 3:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,239
Gold Stars: 235
There’s no excuses now for MJ. His team, his staff so he either picks a system and a team and starts winning or it’s time to start all over again.

My opinion is that he feels duty bound to pick certain players. Ohman is the prime example. No way should he be starting ahead of either Davis or Pollock. He gives away cheap free kicks, can’t pass and is yellow carded most games.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 87
lew chaterleys lover
October 20, 2019, 3:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
To me it seems there is always something amiss in the background.

The managers come in, all guns blazing and predicting an exciting future, they call us a big club for this level and usually comment on the great support, particularly away from home. They all know BP is a difficult place to come for the opposition.

Look how excited Jolley was when he spoke after the Notts game when we avoided the drop.

Yet every manager over the past nearly two decades (maybe apart from Slade Mk 1) have struggled to make an impact.

I wonder why that is? Do they realise after a short time they have been sold a pup, and have more or less an impossible job? Then they start to get ratty, and look for arguments. They have a pop at the crowd, or the media.

Look at yesterdays players - our two big signings Hanson and Green both signed 5 years too late. Everything seems reactive not proactive.  

Somebody behind me yesterday said our club looks like the Phoenix Nights of the football world - every club even the very small ones seem better organised.Everything is stale, old or cheap or all three.

If Jolley goes, if he has lost the dressing room and he has lost that initial enthusiasm then we start again with another new manager all guns blazing...  
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 87
Gaffer58
October 20, 2019, 4:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
To be honest Jolley is doing a reasonable job, not great but not a disaster, he just needs to learn when his team and style win a game not to think too hard for the next game and stick to what is working, then the players know that if they do their job they keep their place. Pollock is a fine example, in a winning team, does nothing wrong but gets dropped for the next game, his confidence just gets crushed. As people mention Buckley, who in my eyes is God, maybe Jolley needs to have some humility and ask him for some guidance, after all he has managed over 500 more games than Jolley to date.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 87
rancido
October 20, 2019, 4:06pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
To me it seems there is always something amiss in the background.

The managers come in, all guns blazing and predicting an exciting future, they call us a big club for this level and usually comment on the great support, particularly away from home. They all know BP is a difficult place to come for the opposition.

Look how excited Jolley was when he spoke after the Notts game when we avoided the drop.

Yet every manager over the past nearly two decades (maybe apart from Slade Mk 1) have struggled to make an impact.

I wonder why that is? Do they realise after a short time they have been sold a pup, and have more or less an impossible job? Then they start to get ratty, and look for arguments. They have a pop at the crowd, or the media.

Look at yesterdays players - our two big signings Hanson and Green both signed 5 years too late. Everything seems reactive not proactive.  

Somebody behind me yesterday said our club looks like the Phoenix Nights of the football world - every club even the very small ones seem better organised.Everything is stale, old or cheap or all three.

If Jolley goes, if he has lost the dressing room and he has lost that initial enthusiasm then we start again with another new manager all guns blazing...  

This is Jolley's team. Nothing to do with the Board or the Club. He signs the players, picks the squad and sets them up. I thought he would be good for town and still think he could be but he does over think things.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 87
Grantham_Mariner
October 20, 2019, 4:08pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from MuddyWaters
There’s no excuses now for MJ. His team, his staff so he either picks a system and a team and starts winning or it’s time to start all over again.

My opinion is that he feels duty bound to pick certain players. Ohman is the prime example. No way should he be starting ahead of either Davis or Pollock. He gives away cheap free kicks, can’t pass and is yellow carded most games.

2 yellows in 8 starts this season ! hardly most games!

Rest I agree with....

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 87
CodHead
October 20, 2019, 4:09pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +169
Quoted from wigworld

We've had at least 3 other managers in the last 15 years who've done worse.

We took a chance on Jolley
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 87
Northbank Mariner
October 20, 2019, 4:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Gaffer58
To be honest Jolley is doing a reasonable job, not great but not a disaster, he just needs to learn when his team and style win a game not to think too hard for the next game and stick to what is working, then the players know that if they do their job they keep their place. Pollock is a fine example, in a winning team, does nothing wrong but gets dropped for the next game, his confidence just gets crushed. As people mention Buckley, who in my eyes is God, maybe Jolley needs to have some humility and ask him for some guidance, after all he has managed over 500 more games than Jolley to date.

And that what we all said last year...how many times can we use the same excuses of " give him time, he's still learning his trade"..because from what I'm watching he's not learning anything...
If anything he's showing an immense amount of arrogance if you ask me. You can't tell me he's that stupid he can't see where he's getting in wrong?....
As I've said before, stick to the same team, the same style and don't worry about your opponent...worked pretty well for Leicester!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 87
lew chaterleys lover
October 20, 2019, 4:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from rancido

This is Jolley's team. Nothing to do with the Board or the Club. He signs the players, picks the squad and sets them up. I thought he would be good for town and still think he could be but he does over think things.

Not for the first time you have misunderstood the point I am making. ALL the managers have struggled, despite enthusiastic starts. What is fundamentally wrong with the club that makes this so?
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 87
Ipswin
October 20, 2019, 4:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

" give him time, he's still learning his trade"

This infers that one day in the future (be it near or far away) Jolley is going to become a good manager, it does not necessarily follow I'm afraid his current performance might well be the best he ever achieves

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 87
Ipswin
October 20, 2019, 4:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

Not for the first time you have misunderstood the point I am making. ALL the managers have struggled, despite enthusiastic starts. What is fundamentally wrong with the club that makes this so?

We have had a succession of shite managers inheriting a shite squad to which they have added even more shite. We are average at best, a lower 4th division club. End of

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If Michael Jolley was to leave..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.