Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If Michael Jolley was to leave..
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 148 Guests

If Michael Jolley was to leave..

This thread currently has 14,839 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Freemoash88
October 20, 2019, 7:49pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
It won't happen nor do I want Jolley to leave. but... If i had one person it would be Ian Holloway. The blokes stated numerous times he's not bothered what league he just wants a challenge and to build a club given time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 87
Freemoash88
October 20, 2019, 7:49pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
It won't happen nor do I want Jolley to leave. but... If i had one person it would be Ian Holloway. The blokes stated numerous times he's not bothered what league he just wants a challenge and to build a club given time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 87
rancido
October 21, 2019, 11:24am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91

Not for the first time you have misunderstood the point I am making. ALL the managers have struggled, despite enthusiastic starts. What is fundamentally wrong with the club that makes this so?

I've not misunderstood anything. You seem to imply that the political background to the running of the club is a deciding factor on how the team performs. The point I am  making is that the manager brings the players in that he thinks will do a job. He coaches them in how he wants them to play. He picks a team plus subs for a specific game and tells them to play to a formation that HE thinks will get a result. If they fail then surely , regardless of whatever is going on in the background of the running of the club, he must take responsibility for that. Obviously some players might not be performing at their best but a manager should see that as the game progresses and be prepared to take action accordingly. Most of the fans and posters on here seem to think that the squad we have is fairly good but what is in contention is MJ's constant changing of players , especially playing some in roles that appear to not bring out their best. My opinion is that MJ over thinks his approach too much and should stick to certain fundamental basics of the game. A settled back four would be a start with a regular centre back pairing. Stop this " apparent " zone defending and revert to man-for-man , especially in set pieces. Leave a man up front when defending corners and dangerous set pieces.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 87
RichMariner
October 21, 2019, 11:38am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I appreciate that the board can't control what tactics MJ deploys on a match day, and they can't control what subs he makes, or what formation he plays, but the board — like any CEO of a business, really — are a reflection of what happens on the pitch.

If we're not clear in direction off the pitch then, ultimately, we won't be clear on it. Philosophies and stuff like that are ironed out between the manager and the board from the outset.

Basically, I have an issue with someone at work. I think they're a male private head but I know they're not a male private head. They just act like a male private head because they know their manager — someone that ultimately approves their work — is a male private head.

But that boss might not be a male private head. It could be that their boss, or director, is a male private head because they're anticipating the male private head behaviour of their boss, who happens to run the company.

Everything leads back to the top. I agree, in the minutiae of day-to-day stuff it doesn't seem possible that the board can be blamed for a bad result at home to Leyton Orient.

But Jolley works in an environment where there's a clear hierarchy, a clear structure, and he knows as well as we all do that he's under pressure every single day of the week to take this club forward. That pressure is there from the board and the fans (we're all responsible).

It's up to the board to appoint someone who can work effectively under the pressure they set. Jolley is human, and will be making decisions while trying to anticipate how they'll go down in the boardroom. That pressure will naturally guide his way of thinking, from the wider issues of signings, to the narrower issues like choosing a team or making a sub for any given match.

This hierarchy is necessary. People need policing, otherwise it'd be a free-for-all. But you've got to make sure those in power are held to account, even if the thing 'at the bottom' doesn't seem connected. Because ultimately it's the person at the top that sets the agenda.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 43 - 87
Malta_Mariner_90
October 21, 2019, 11:58am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

He has been unlucky with Max Wright getting injured.  We have one else to step into his role.

We have nobody to step into that role because Jolley did not sign any wingers and other than the emergency signing of Pringle last season has not signed any since he has been here.

For me it is pretty remarkable that you sign Hanson and yet you do not sign players who can get good crosses into the box for him.

I am beginning to think he likes to make life harder than it needs to be.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 87
diehardmariner
October 21, 2019, 2:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
But he was the best manager in the world a few weeks ago?

Saturday was shite, absolute shite.  Jolley needs to start learning from his mistakes and learn from them fast.  He needs to decide on a footballing philosophy for the club and embed it quickly.

But let's stop this hero to zero crap every five minutes, it's embarrassing.  
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 87
fishboyUTM
October 21, 2019, 3:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Jolley is doing a poor job, no doubt at all.

He has to be instructing the players to bypass midfield to play off Hanson, has to be or why would they do it? It's okay playing it up to a target man and playing off him, but not from those areas in the air. The lads to the left and right of him are rarely close enough to have a chance with his flick ons. If you are going to play 4-3-3, and it is a very fluid formation then you can't play it the way we do.

If you are going to play it from the back to Hanson, then you must a) Sacrifice some width and get the inside forwards closer to the target man. Or b) Play it into his feet and play off him. Whacking it in the air to him is ineffective. 4-3-3 is fine if you are using the width which means getting the ball wide to the inside forwards, the midfield (or 1 or 2 of the 3 - another big problem is the midfield three as too deep allowing the opposition unchallenged posession in front of their defence) up with the play, then you can deliver balls from wide as close to the byline as possible to give Hanson a chance of using his strength in the air.

We are not getting balls into him from wide positions. Tactically, we are not giving him or ourselves a chance and the opposition are just letting Hanson win the flick ons then just picking up the second ball. These tactics have to be down to the manager, either that or they are not listening to him. Either way, he isn't doing his job and questions should be asked. I am sick to death of taking two steps forwards and three steps back. All the time, year after year. We have the basis of a good side, but we have gone to excrement in double quick time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 87
rancido
October 21, 2019, 5:29pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from RichMariner
I appreciate that the board can't control what tactics MJ deploys on a match day, and they can't control what subs he makes, or what formation he plays, but the board — like any CEO of a business, really — are a reflection of what happens on the pitch.

If we're not clear in direction off the pitch then, ultimately, we won't be clear on it. Philosophies and stuff like that are ironed out between the manager and the board from the outset.

Basically, I have an issue with someone at work. I think they're a male private head but I know they're not a male private head. They just act like a male private head because they know their manager — someone that ultimately approves their work — is a male private head.

But that boss might not be a male private head. It could be that their boss, or director, is a male private head because they're anticipating the male private head behaviour of their boss, who happens to run the company.

Everything leads back to the top. I agree, in the minutiae of day-to-day stuff it doesn't seem possible that the board can be blamed for a bad result at home to Leyton Orient.

But Jolley works in an environment where there's a clear hierarchy, a clear structure, and he knows as well as we all do that he's under pressure every single day of the week to take this club forward. That pressure is there from the board and the fans (we're all responsible).

It's up to the board to appoint someone who can work effectively under the pressure they set. Jolley is human, and will be making decisions while trying to anticipate how they'll go down in the boardroom. That pressure will naturally guide his way of thinking, from the wider issues of signings, to the narrower issues like choosing a team or making a sub for any given match.

This hierarchy is necessary. People need policing, otherwise it'd be a free-for-all. But you've got to make sure those in power are held to account, even if the thing 'at the bottom' doesn't seem connected. Because ultimately it's the person at the top that sets the agenda.

I agree that some things in the " administrative " side of the club can affect things at a more grass roots level but not as much as some seem to imply. As I understand it the Boardroom level at Bury was in turmoil last season but that didn't stop them getting promoted. Yes, maybe there were some " allegedly " wrong things going on but it didn't stop the team from performing.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 87
October 21, 2019, 7:07pm
Guest User
Hereford manager, then we'd realise what we are missing.
Reply: 48 - 87
October 21, 2019, 7:09pm
Guest User
Quoted from rancido

I agree that some things in the " administrative " side of the club can affect things at a more grass roots level but not as much as some seem to imply. As I understand it the Boardroom level at Bury was in turmoil last season but that didn't stop them getting promoted. Yes, maybe there were some " allegedly " wrong things going on but it didn't stop the team from performing.

And where are they now?
Reply: 49 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If Michael Jolley was to leave..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.