Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What can we do?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 348 Guests

What can we do?

This thread currently has 16,109 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
September 23, 2019, 2:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from nightrider
Admittedly I've not watched it for along time but i was always annoyed with Sky Sports always employing really attractive women as their news readers - what about the ugly men & women?

It's because ugly people have unpleasant voices. Haven't you noticed before now?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 102
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 23, 2019, 3:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Just to be clear, RonRafferty isn't sexist, he just hates every female commentator or pundits screechy voice and thinks none of them as are good as men.

Just to be clear, Rodley. Those female presenters, commentators etc. are there to fill a quota. Trying to watch Quest highlights is a pain in the eardrums when you get the volume and the treble both whizzing up and down. The only aural experience at football I can think of that was worse was a schoolboy international at Wmberlee many moons ago.

If they happen to be good then that is a nice happy coincidence. I would be delighted to go through the names of male pundits etc. who are crap and irritating to me or you but they are theoretically picked for their knowledge/ability, not there to fill a quota.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 102
Rik e B
September 23, 2019, 3:49pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
To be fair, the woman on MOTD2 last night was pretty eloquent, compared to one of two of the others who pretty lame in my eyes. I couldn't give you their names though.

For me the whole idea of ex players bring on is that they've played the game at that level with inside knowledge on matters. Imo they should be put out to pasture every few years for dome fresh insight from newly retired players as the game changes rapidly. Instead of old clingers on like Hansen and Lawrence who even I never saw play.

The women's game is a seperate entity with totally different stresses and strains and they can't give that insider knowledge. Yes they can comment on tactical plays etc but for me they token seat fillers without the requisite experience of men's football.

But in todays world you not allowed to hold such views no matter how innocently founded. Anything that could be misconstrued as slightly sexist or whatever is judge, jury and executioner style guilty with no consideration of the reasoning behind. Triggered butthurt liberals.

Take Gabby Logan, she been around for ages and does a good job because she the presenter and doesn't pretend to know the ins and outs. She is knowledgeable and perfectly free to express her thoughts as someone who not played the game (and these views are respected) but mainly she hosts and asks the questions -I can't remember ever us old supposed sexist, racist, whatever-ists ever having a go at her. If a quota needs to be filled they should ditch Linekar et al and have women hosting the programmes and questioning the male ex-pros as they know the male game.

For parity they should then have male hosts with a female panel for the women's game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 102
TownSNAFU5
September 23, 2019, 3:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,878
Gold Stars: 42
Labels on race are over-rated and probably misleading.  Years ago CPS guidance advised that the term “black” should be used, not “coloured”.

At the same time the official guidance in The Prison Service was to use “coloured”  not “black”.  What does it matter?

In the Forces every person worked together in teams successfully.  Any differences irrelevant.

If fans want another issue to debate:  we are off to London.  Which (from memory) has 25% of the world’s CCTV cameras.  GB has more  CCTV cameras that any other country.  Is this 1984-style surveillance on individuals justified?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 102
Rik e B
September 23, 2019, 3:56pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
And facial recognition technology, and taking data from all your Facebook posts and Google photos etc. And monitoring your every transaction as we push for an ever more cashless society 🧐🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 102
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 23, 2019, 5:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rik e B
To be fair, the woman on MOTD2 last night was pretty eloquent, compared to one of two of the others who pretty lame in my eyes. I couldn't give you their names though.

For me the whole idea of ex players bring on is that they've played the game at that level with inside knowledge on matters. Imo they should be put out to pasture every few years for dome fresh insight from newly retired players as the game changes rapidly. Instead of old clingers on like Hansen and Lawrence who even I never saw play.

The women's game is a seperate entity with totally different stresses and strains and they can't give that insider knowledge. Yes they can comment on tactical plays etc but for me they token seat fillers without the requisite experience of men's football.

But in todays world you not allowed to hold such views no matter how innocently founded. Anything that could be misconstrued as slightly sexist or whatever is judge, jury and executioner style guilty with no consideration of the reasoning behind. Triggered butthurt liberals.

Take Gabby Logan, she been around for ages and does a good job because she the presenter and doesn't pretend to know the ins and outs. She is knowledgeable and perfectly free to express her thoughts as someone who not played the game (and these views are respected) but mainly she hosts and asks the questions -I can't remember ever us old supposed sexist, racist, whatever-ists ever having a go at her. If a quota needs to be filled they should ditch Linekar et al and have women hosting the programmes and questioning the male ex-pros as they know the male game.

For parity they should then have male hosts with a female panel for the women's game.

Gabby Logan/Yorath is one of the best women presenters and is indeed better than many of the men. No doubt this is helped by her being steeped in the game from birth and having experienced things like her Dad being involved with the Bradford fire. She also has a much more intelligent way with questions and comments than the usual “How does it feel ..........?” tripe.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 102
FishOutOfWater
September 23, 2019, 6:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37

Gabby Logan/Yorath is one of the best women presenters and is indeed better than many of the men. No doubt this is helped by her being steeped in the game from birth and having experienced things like her Dad being involved with the Bradford fire. She also has a much more intelligent way with questions and comments than the usual “How does it feel ..........?” tripe.

I quite like the other footballers' daughters' approach too

Kelly Cates  ( Kenny Dalglish's daughter )

and

Hayley McQueen ( Gordon McQueen's daughter )

Both of them have an easy going style and neither pretends to be an expert on the game, a bit like Gabby
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 76 - 102
Ipswin
September 23, 2019, 6:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

having experienced things like her Dad being involved with the Bradford fire.

WTF has that got to do with her knowledge about and / or ability to comment on football ?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 102
ska face
September 23, 2019, 7:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Gabby Logan is tolerated as a presenter because her old man was present at the Bradford fire 30-odd years ago? You need your head testing.

You reckon she didn’t get the same treatment as today’s female pundits & presenters when she started out? Maybe she’s good because she’s been doing it nigh on 20 years and people are used to her?
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 102
Croxton
September 23, 2019, 7:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Ipswin

WTF has that got to do with her knowledge about and / or ability to comment on football ?

As a match analyst, very little. As a presenter/ interviewer a great deal as she has lived in the football family for over 40 years and through her own career as a performer at elite level knows the stresses of training and competing in the public eye. If only Emily Maitlis had her poise and dignity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 102
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What can we do?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.