Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What can we do?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 205 Guests

What can we do?

This thread currently has 16,097 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 23, 2019, 10:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from mariner91
Call me a snowflake but I genuinely think Alex Scott is quite good. Much rather listen to her than have Jamie Redknapp talk a load of balls.

Yes, maybe. But what people cannot seem to see is that in TAOW we have totally dispensed with any notion of meritocracy.  How good she is does not matter anymore to the people who count. Therefore this encourages rather than solves racism or sexism.

A black person achieves so they must have had positive discrimination. A black person fails so they must have suffered racism. The same applies to women in this context. Alex Scott cannot be good because she is a token. Whether she actually is any good is now irrelevant, she is a woman so she must be good or she must be awful depending on your standpoint. The polarising has been encouraged by political correctness as it was called.

This rush to the lowest common denominator, levelling down the field, dumbing down the presentation so that nobody should feel left out has worked against people with talent in every single ethnic group in every walk of life. It gives the racist/sexist/whateverist the perfect set of excuses, plays straight into their hands.

So we cannot kill racism while perceived imbalance and unfairness exists. We can drive it underground (maybe) with laws and media liberalism, we can play with quotas and salary caps, but kill it? No. We have given it fresh life. I was always a believer in equal opportunity but I just can’t see how that can happen now.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 102
Chrisblor
September 23, 2019, 10:28am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,762
Gold Stars: 233
Alex Scott featuring regularly as a TV pundit IS an example of meritocracy because she's good at her job - it has nothing at all to do with her being A. a woman or B. black.

The suggestion that punditry in the 90s and early 2000s was actually meritocratic is laughable. The whole thing was a massive boys club where any old dipsomaniac was welcome to spout their views on air because they'd knocked a football about in their younger days.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 102
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 23, 2019, 10:57am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Quoted from Chrisblor
Alex Scott featuring regularly as a TV pundit IS an example of meritocracy because she's good at her job - it has nothing at all to do with her being A. a woman or B. black.

The suggestion that punditry in the 90s and early 2000s was actually meritocratic is laughable. The whole thing was a massive boys club where any old dipsomaniac was welcome to spout their views on air because they'd knocked a football about in their younger days.

Please read what I put before getting on your high horse. I said she may be good but it is irrelevant now whether she is good, bad or indifferent. That does not matter. Her gender is all that matters to the people who employ her. You may not think so but to the broadcasters it is everything. Perception and quota filling matters so much more than ability. Also I never said or implied punditry had any meritocracy but I do say it now has absolutely no chance of achieving it.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 102
chaos33
September 23, 2019, 11:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,863
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
This has been really eye-opening for me. I had always thought the victims of racism were those who were discriminated against and stereotyped or abused. I had never given a thought to those who have to occasionally hear about it happening and their plight. Truly heartbreaking.

....is the best post on this thread.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 102
Ipswin
September 23, 2019, 11:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Chrisblor

You obviously missed the so called 'expert panel' commenting on the Man U and Chelsea games yesterday then Old pissheads who knocked a football about years ago are still getting job and the regular crowd who appear on Jeff Stelling's Saturday show are no better

And if lady commenators 'shriek' where does that leave that idiot Stelling?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 102
Ipswin
September 23, 2019, 11:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I note that twit Jim White is absolutely creaming himself with excitement about the racism at the Hartlepool v Dover game this weekend. He absolutely loves a crisis (a la Bury) and incidents like the one this weekend. Report it of course, milk it and look for members of the public to inflame the event / give him more drama, no.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 102
buckstown
September 23, 2019, 12:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 79
Jim White's no different to anyone else on Talksport. They spout stupid things or sensationalise trivia in the hope of getting stupid people to call in and pay 13p a minute. He's does happen to be good at that though and appears to have an endless stream of the stupid ones prepared to pay!
By the way the Hartlepool thing isn't trivia and the poolie bunker is full of it as you would imagine. Seems 98% decent supporters are deeply embarrassed by the 2% idiots, same as all clubs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 102
Rodley Mariner
September 23, 2019, 12:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
There are two things about female commentators and pundits I don't like.

1. The commentators shriek when they pretend to be enthusiastic.

2. They are so obviously not there for their ability or knowledge but as virtue signalling by the broadcaster.

This does not apply to the race issue, we have had good black pundits for years now, but I do get annoyed when we get foreign ex-players on there whose accents make them unintelligible and who do not know enough English to be able to express what they really mean. They are only there for their name.

To a degree the same applies with those stupid PL after match interviews. You have a woman trying to sound knowledgable talking to a man who cannot put two words of English together! How to fill 60 seconds of screen time with nothing.

Just to be clear, RonRafferty isn't sexist, he just hates every female commentator or pundits screechy voice and thinks none of them as are good as men.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 102
nightrider
September 23, 2019, 12:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Admittedly I've not watched it for along time but i was always annoyed with Sky Sports always employing really attractive women as their news readers - what about the ugly men & women?

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 102
Mallyner
September 23, 2019, 1:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,507
Quoted from mariner91
Call me a snowflake but I genuinely think Alex Scott is quite good. Much rather listen to her than have Jamie Redknapp talk a load of balls.

I dont like Alex Scott.

I love her.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 102
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What can we do?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.