Abdul19
September 18, 2019, 11:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from Posh Harry

He was shoving the wall out of the way Abdul, so considerably closer than a metre

Well there we go 😆

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 80
arryarryarry
September 18, 2019, 11:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Just seen it again and poor play by Green, so surprised the referee missed it but then he was crap all night. However there is the fact that Green moved into the wall and started pushing before the kick was taken but he was still pushing the wall after Cook played the ball.

Not much different to some cases where a defender commits a foul outside of the area but continues fouling in the area and the ref giving a penalty.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 80
Maringer
September 19, 2019, 12:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,504
Gold Stars: 185
Bloody stupid if Green didn't know the changes in the laws of the game. Same goes for the referee, of course!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 80
Cambridgefish
September 19, 2019, 1:34pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: -12
Gold Stars: 1

Can anyone who watched the game say how Whitehouse played? I’ve been really disappointed with him in games I’ve seen, yet he seems immune from criticism, maybe due to the fact he covers a lot of ground which I’ll grant him, or that he had a terrible injury last season and maybe he’s not the same player, but I just don’t see what he does with the ball to justify his continued inclusion.

I wasn’t at Salford, but I do recall when we signed him Lincoln fans were saying he was limited. Very willing and a good team man, but unlikely to set the world on fire
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 80
FishOutOfWater
September 19, 2019, 2:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Abdul19
I'm guessing the pushing took place when the ball was in play (therefore a free kick and also irrelevant where the ball was)

The free kick is the standard  “punishment” for going too close to the wall.....Green pushing wasn’t the issue

http://www.thefa.com/football-.....aw-changes-explained
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 74 - 80
grimsby pete
September 19, 2019, 10:44pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
So basically the defending team commit an offence and might have stopped a goal scoring oppotunity and the attacking team are penalised by not be allowed near a defensive wall.

Well done FA why not allow any goals to be scored at all.?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 80
KingstonMariner
September 19, 2019, 11:11pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from grimsby pete
So basically the defending team commit an offence and might have stopped a goal scoring oppotunity and the attacking team are penalised by not be allowed near a defensive wall.

Well done FA why not allow any goals to be scored at all.?

If this new rule, presumably meant to improve the game, actually cuts down the chances to score, you could consider it an own goal by the FA.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 80
Maringer
September 20, 2019, 10:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,504
Gold Stars: 185
It's just to stop the stupid situation where opposition forwards stand in the wall then try to push opponents out of the way as the kick is taken (as Green apparently attempted to do). I don't mind this change, truth be told. If you're not trying to touch the ball, you shouldn't be actively pushing an opponent away from it.

Next thing to do is work out how to game the system. Somebody stood 1 metre in front of the wall to further obstruct the keeper before diving out of the way at the last moment, perhaps? How about 2 players forming a mini-wall to innocently stop chargers from blocking a tapped free-kick? Of course, they would have to make sure they got out of the way of the shot as well!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 80
grimsby pete
September 20, 2019, 12:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Maringer
It's just to stop the stupid situation where opposition forwards stand in the wall then try to push opponents out of the way as the kick is taken (as Green apparently attempted to do). I don't mind this change, truth be told. If you're not trying to touch the ball, you shouldn't be actively pushing an opponent away from it.

Next thing to do is work out how to game the system. Somebody stood 1 metre in front of the wall to further obstruct the keeper before diving out of the way at the last moment, perhaps? How about 2 players forming a mini-wall to innocently stop chargers from blocking a tapped free-kick? Of course, they would have to make sure they got out of the way of the shot as well!

How about seeing the defending team who committed the offence  are not allowed to form a wall ?

The attacker who might have been able to have a clear shot at goal then finds 6 or 7 players on 10yards in front of him that is no advantage so encourages professional fouls.

PS.   You can tell I was a striker  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 80
KingstonMariner
September 20, 2019, 12:29pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer

Pushing was an offence anyway so they’ve just introduced an extra thing to police. As well as ‘is the wall 10 yards from the ball?’ we now have ‘are the attackers at least 1 metre (1.1 yards!) away from the wall?’ We’ll end up with another line of shaving foam (in an oval shape around the wall) for every free kick near the penalty box. It’s going to end up like Rugby Union with lots of footling rules.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.