9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
fishcake63
September 18, 2019, 8:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,235
Gold Stars: 62
Now the dust's settled i can honestly say feel cheated that is no way to officiate a game if that goal stands we in my opinion go on & win the game , how the heck keeper saves waterfall's effort at the end as well = worldie , as someone says on another thread he looks so comfy it's untrue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 80
TownSNAFU5
September 18, 2019, 9:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,848
Gold Stars: 42
Bigdog, you mean play like Crewe then?  They meet virtually all your criteria.

We are someway short of their quality.

Crewe are 2nd, but even with their good football their plus 2 GD is only down to beating us.

Also worrying for us is that our Plan A, play to Hanson, has been identified by opponents and is easily stopped. Plan B is still WIP.

(Chelsea is a distraction but only part of the wider problem).

Another issue: why do we consistently concede the first goal in matches?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 80
GollyGTFC
September 18, 2019, 9:51am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,978
Gold Stars: 356
From Salford City OS March report...

Attendance: 2,782 (1,066 Grimsby Town)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 42 - 80
GollyGTFC
September 18, 2019, 10:06am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,978
Gold Stars: 356
I thought we were shite last night. Lacked any cutting edge whatsoever.

Why Hessenthaler has to drop between the 2 centre backs to receive a ball and the make a pass that either centre back would have been capable of making is beyond me. And having him so deep meant that when it did break down we were always outnumbered to midfield and rarely picked up any second balls.

Everything at the moment points to another season of underachievement. We can’t keep a clean sheet to save our lives and we keep handing teams a lead.

I’ve never been Jolley’s biggest fan- he talks a good game but has achieved very little IMHO. He’s on a 6 month rolling contract isn’t he? I don’t think it would be unreasonable for the club to serve him with his 6 month notice period in mid-November if results haven’t improved in line with expectations and tell him he has to earn a new deal.

If he does well he gets his new contract. If he continues to underachieve then we can replace him at the end of the season when his contract expires without having to compensate him. There’s no risk for Town because no ones going to offer him a job at a higher club with his below average record at Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 43 - 80
Rik e B
September 18, 2019, 10:18am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
We a work in progress; from Slade's capitulators rocketing towards non-league to being competitive in little over a Season with a crumby budget okay going in my eyes.

Jolley's contract is fine as is, wouldn't cost us the world to jettison instead of the instability amongst the players and potential signings wondering if their manager staying or going, and the general ill feeling serving notice would bring. Terrible idea Imo.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 80
Bigdog
September 18, 2019, 10:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Bigdog, you mean play like Crewe then?  They meet virtually all your criteria.

We are someway short of their quality.

Crewe are 2nd, but even with their good football their plus 2 GD is only down to beating us.

Also worrying for us is that our Plan A, play to Hanson, has been identified by opponents and is easily stopped. Plan B is still WIP.

(Chelsea is a distraction but only part of the wider problem).

Another issue: why do we consistently concede the first goal in matches?

We were by far the better side second half last night but still quite poor. If our free kick wasn't disallowed I'm sure we'd have gone on to win but..

It was like watching an olden day under tens side being coached. Take a touch, play the way you're facing, take a touch, play the way you're facing and then lump it to the guy that's bigger than all of the rest. Win set pieces and get the big boys up there to score from them. That's us in a nutshell. Jolley being extremely pragmatic with the tools he's been given. No movement, very static, slow on the ball because of this and no one prepared to take anyone on at any time in the starting eleven, not even a half turn other than Hess who is playing deep to accommodate our full backs getting forward, and Ogbu who was poor but will benefit from more space for him to do his thing, space that is blocked up by playing both him and Green off Hanson. Whitehouse flatters to deceive for me and has been getting the benefit of the doubt because everyone wants him to do well. And we still seem a slow narrow team without any real threatening pace or guile without Vernam, Wright or Rose on the pitch. Would like to see more of Robson (if strong enough) because he looks like he can play and hopefully Clifton gets back in form quickly because we miss his energy. It's better than it was but the ceiling of achievement for the starting eleven last night isn't top seven, steady mid-table more likely..

I'd prefer a 4-5-1 rather than an out and out 4-3-3, two extra wide players and try to play through to Hanson more than we do with Hess pushed up more alongside maybe Clifton and Robson, with some pace and attacking intent from wide by any of Ogbu, Vernam, Wright and Rose. We can revert back to the less expansive pragmatic bullying Plan A to secure a mid table position if it doesn't work..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 80
Rik e B
September 18, 2019, 10:33am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
I quite liked the fluid 4-3-3 into 4-5-1 when Jolley kept us up, we can also do 4-4-2 if need.

Expectations were low prior to the seasons commencement, everyone was buoyed by an unexpected good start and a couple of losses (one a little unfortunate) to bring us back to something like parity I don't know why doom mongers have to be shouting from the rooftops quite so quick.

I guess it's just what they do, but it kills any credence they may have when we do have a real downturn in my eyes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 80
grimsby pete
September 18, 2019, 12:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
With no VAR in use that is the first time I have seen the fourth official disallow a goal,

Has anybody ever seen one disallowed by the 4th official before when VAR is not in use ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 80
Kris2
September 18, 2019, 12:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I thought we were shite last night. Lacked any cutting edge whatsoever.

Why Hessenthaler has to drop between the 2 centre backs to receive a ball and the make a pass that either centre back would have been capable of making is beyond me. And having him so deep meant that when it did break down we were always outnumbered to midfield and rarely picked up any second balls.

Everything at the moment points to another season of underachievement. We can’t keep a clean sheet to save our lives and we keep handing teams a lead.

I’ve never been Jolley’s biggest fan- he talks a good game but has achieved very little IMHO. He’s on a 6 month rolling contract isn’t he? I don’t think it would be unreasonable for the club to serve him with his 6 month notice period in mid-November if results haven’t improved in line with expectations and tell him he has to earn a new deal.

If he does well he gets his new contract. If he continues to underachieve then we can replace him at the end of the season when his contract expires without having to compensate him. There’s no risk for Town because no ones going to offer him a job at a higher club with his below average record at Town.

it's only underachievement if you think we are a big club in this league to begin with lol. We are about where we are expected to be as a mediocre League Two team.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 80
grimsby pete
September 18, 2019, 12:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
If we carry on like this all season we will be mid table with 60+ points

After what we have been through over the last few years its nice to be comfortable,

You never  know 2 or 3 good signings in January might make all the difference.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.