lukeo
September 17, 2019, 9:53pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,357
Gold Stars: 143
Watched the game on ifollow.
I liked the fact we totally dominated and tried to play football as best we could but at same time the odd hoof.
The goal was rightly cancelled out, why did Green do that? It was totally wreckless. Admittedly I'm livid the way it wass cancelled out and im pretty sure it was the fourth official that gave it and I'm sure thatt isn't allowed?
Ref and lineo was almost as bad as Ogbu and Green.

Deserved atleast a point but that's football.
Logged Online
Private Message
lukeo
September 17, 2019, 9:54pm
Season Ticket Holder
Felt midfield did well concidering they had no support... Hate the fact they kept coming and taking the ball from the defenders feet though!?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 80
jaygy
September 17, 2019, 10:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
The odd hoof ball!?!? We had our best chances from playing around the back but only did that a couple of times going forward, the other 100 times going forward were aimless hoof balls. I don’t mind aiming for Hanson but ffs it shouldn’t be every time!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 80
Lambretta Mariner
September 17, 2019, 10:04pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +140
It's a shame we didn't have the same 4th official when Hansons penalty was saved by the goalkeeper 2 yards off his line.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 80
jonnyboy82
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Yep, definitely too much aimless hoof tonight.

I just dont know if even jolley knows what he wants to do,  we are better when we play it on the floor, plus ogbu was quite terrible tonight kept coming deep i dont know if thats on purpose but we need to stop whacking it 40 yards hoping hanson teleports all over the pitch.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 80
lukeo
Season Ticket Holder
NEVER KNEW THIS :
Change decision. But can't a referee change his decision? Yes, referees can. ... The LATG say: “The referee may only change a decision on realising that it is incorrect or, at his discretion, on the advice of an assistant referee or the fourth official, provided that he has not restarted play or terminated the match
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 80
louth_in_the_south
September 17, 2019, 10:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
Quoted from jaygy
The odd hoof ball!?!? We had our best chances from playing around the back but only did that a couple of times going forward, the other 100 times going forward were aimless hoof balls. I don’t mind aiming for Hanson but ffs it shouldn’t be every time!

I was amazed by the lack of long balls considering that’s all we’ve been playing apparently for the last few weeks . It’s an easy line to throw in . We passed Salford off the pitch ffs

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 80
jonnyboy82
September 17, 2019, 10:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
What game was you watching  

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 80
jaygy
September 17, 2019, 10:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

I was amazed by the lack of long balls considering that’s all we’ve been playing apparently for the last few weeks . It’s an easy line to throw in . We passed Salford off the pitch ffs

I’m going to agree with you that we maybe passed it about more but we only had so much possession because we were passing it around our back 4 before hoofing it forward. I’d love to see us play with actual wingers and give up the 3rd man up top because we may try and get around the back more
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 80
louth_in_the_south
September 17, 2019, 10:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
Quoted from jaygy

I’m going to agree with you that we maybe passed it about more but we only had so much possession because we were passing it around our back 4 before hoofing it forward. I’d love to see us play with actual wingers and give up the 3rd man up top because we may try and get around the back more

We didn’t hoof it . Watch it again tomorrow . The midfield picked the ball up and tried passing it through Salford . If anything the front 3 let the ball bounce off them too easily when it was played into them . Salford has a couple of lucky last ditch interceptions on the edge of their box when green and Hanson looked like they were in . Great save from waterfalls effort .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 80
MuddyWaters
September 17, 2019, 10:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Green desperate to prove a point tried too hard tonight but Ogbu is fast becoming a waste of a shirt, most of Salford’s chances came through his inability to track back. He’s lazy and plays for himself. Let Charles, Max or Akheem start because we aren’t good enough to play with ten men.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 80
pontoonlew
September 17, 2019, 10:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,841
Gold Stars: 167
The effort was generally there but the ideas were not. Green just played his own game in an effort to prove a point, the problem being it was in complete detriment to ours. Ogbu was absolutely bloody woeful.

Full backs were good second half and we had a hell of a lot of the ball, just nothing to show for it. But for two top class saves from the GK and an utterly incompetent decision from the ref we’d have won and all been excited, so I won’t overreact to a loss that on balance, we didn’t deserve.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 80
Tommy
September 17, 2019, 10:47pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from pontoonlew
The effort was generally there but the ideas were not. Green just player his own game in an effort to prove a point, the problem being it was in complete detriment to ours. Ogbu was absolutely bloody woeful.

Full backs were good second half and we had a hell of a lot of the ball, just nothing to show for it. But for two top class saves from the GK and an utterly incompetent decision from the ref we’d have won and all been excited, so I won’t overreact to a loss that on balance, we didn’t deserve.

I know we'll be biased on here but I can't see how anyone would think that was anything other than a correct decision.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 80
pontoonlew
September 17, 2019, 10:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,841
Gold Stars: 167
Quoted from Tommy

I know we'll be biased on here but I can't see how anyone would think that was anything other than a correct decision.

Badly worded, the way it came about was farcical. Firstly players were in the wall before Green, nothing was done about it. Secondly how on earth can we get to kick off before an intervention from the fourth official after the bench complains. The leagues golden boys somehow get it overturned in circumstances I’ve never seen before in my life.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 80
Mariner Timsky
September 17, 2019, 10:51pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
It’s not the decision that’s the problem it’s the fact that the 4th official made the decision

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 80
Tommy
September 17, 2019, 10:56pm
Season Ticket Holder
Worrying for me how we were too poor on the ball to create anything against a limited Salford side that had nothing about them.
We looked patient and comfortable playing it across the back line and into central midfielders dropping deep, but any forward pass into strikers or midfielders higher up the pitch just resulted in them either instantly losing it or instantly playing it straight back to our back 4.

Gibson was good on the ball I thought but looks frustrated with a lack of movement and option ahead of him. Robson too looks like he has a decent left leg on him and could offer some more creative passes. But the front players have got to do better when the ball goes up to them to feet.

The front 3 looked like they were just told to play up front together without any real direction. Ogbu and Green neither got wide and pinned the full backs, or got central close enough to Hanson.

Gary in commentary made a great point about the long balls lofted/floated up to Hanson being too easy for defenders and the need to narrow them lower a bit more.

Baffled why Pollock didnt come on for Ohman.

Not getting too negative as it's still early days but the last 180 minutes have been very poor against teams that have posed very little threat to us. And we've not been good enough against either. Worried that we're just gonna be another inconsistent mid-table side again unless we find a more effective formula fast.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 80
Tommy
September 17, 2019, 10:58pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
It’s not the decision that’s the problem it’s the fact that the 4th official made the decision

He's entitled to assist the referee in the same way the assistants do. If they see something the ref misses, they flag and tell him. The 4th official saw something the ref missed and told him. They're all part of a refereeing team and between them they got the right decision. As excrement as it was it being so long after the goal was given.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 80
oochiad
September 17, 2019, 11:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,687
Gold Stars: 27
We didn’t hoof it. I was there and not watching on ifollow so that’s my opinion. Another day had things gone our way we’d of won. I’m tired from my journey so off to bed, certainly not to disappointed as we are a much better prospect from recent season. See you all sat. Very excited for Wednesday. UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 80
Mariner_09
September 17, 2019, 11:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
We definitely deserved a point. I have never seen anything like that before, the 4th official spotted an infringement, shows the ref doesn’t have the courage of his convictions, there were other instances where he seemed to basically give into the crowd from either side and blow up. Goal looked soft, those around me were speculating if it was deflected. Seemed a long way out to go straight in with little power. Ogbu was bobbins and has been for a few weeks now. Green looked set on proving a point and should’ve buried that free header 5 minutes in! Gibson had his best game for us and looks like we’ll have to play Pollock and Gibson at CB at Stamford bridge, seems as though we’re not allowed to have two fit CB’s for PL teams, we played Hendrie and RHJ there at Palace last year! I thought Hess was excellent again, we looked far more threatening when Hewitt came on. They basically stuck 2 of their back 3 on Hanson and nullified his threat. And I’ve never heard a more quiet home crowd. Well, they are all Man U fans who come for something to do I bet.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 80
Theimperialcoroner
September 17, 2019, 11:23pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,141
Gold Stars: 102
What exactly happened with the 4th official?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 80
bawarmy
September 17, 2019, 11:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Approval: +1,962
Gold Stars: 31
No excuse but I’m told the 4th official was a complete David Warner ( a useless cheat)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 80
sam gy
September 17, 2019, 11:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
Seen a few people complaining about no Pollock, but I don’t see why really. No need to bring him on...Salford weren’t gonna try and attack us too much and Hewitt who came on instead was very good down that right side.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 80
Poojah
September 17, 2019, 11:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,428
Gold Stars: 1,499
The game felt very reminiscent of our non-league days tonight, on multiple levels.

The ground: Neat, tidy and comfortable enough but felt almost temporary. Relatively easy to dispose of if / when the owners get bored or they reach a level where it can no longer accommodate them.

The tactics: We exhibited far more technical ability tonight, but tactically Salford will he happy with that. A fortunate goal which was against the run of play both before and after, but they played 10 men behind the ball for much of the game and looked incredibly comfortable with it. I’m not criticising their negativity - take the lead and you’re entitled to defend it - but we struggled to find a plan b.

The officiating: I felt the referee was poor generally, but let’s get to the goal. I’ve not seen it back, and I’m told by that those who have that the decision was correct, but my gripe isn’t that it was disallowed but how.

Both the referee and the linesman had a good vantage, yet it’s taken an intervention from the fourth official to identify a problem. In this post VAR world, I thought that the direct free kick was a sanctum for the spontaneous goal celebration, but even at our level, apparently not. How the ball gets back to the centre spot before the goal is scratched I don’t know, but it’s criminal for me.

We’ll be fine this season, and I dare say we’ll records our best finish in the last decade. But we’re tactically, if not technically, too limited to genuinely trouble the play-offs in my opinion.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 80
nightrider
September 18, 2019, 12:10am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
That was abit crap.     let's not forget about Salfords 8? changes. A few players aren't pulling their weight
I mentioned what I thought about moses after the bradford game. I thought we needed alot better but after reading lots of positive comments about him in that particular game, the following ones and the managers obvious love for him, I must be wrong
Harsh questioning him after his first game but presumably hes had long enough to settle in now?
Opinion hasnt changed - no way should he be playing at this level. Nor the national league
Even if I forget about his lack of ability with the ball, he's an fit athletic bloke who does sodomist all for the majority of the 90mins. Not good enough to start for a national league side imo.

He isnt the only player being carried by the likes of hessenthaler though. Whitehouse well over rated too and shouldnt start imo. Green was never going to be the player to score goals for us either was he?

Hewitt and hess looked good so it's not all doom n gloom. He needs to change things for the next game but we've got a decent side

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 80
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
September 18, 2019, 12:16am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Feeling pretty miserable after that, not the game I was expecting at all. I wouldn't mind seeing a few changes made for Saturday just to mix things up and get some freshness out the squad, think we've just gone behind first too many times now and the squad just looked like it couldn't pick itself up for that fight again.

To top it off the m18 turn off was shut so that was a pain in the bottom. Bring on Saturday utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 80
Croxton
September 18, 2019, 12:27am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 33
Our lack of pace and invention is evident whether we pass it or hoof. Backwards and sideways passes show patience but the lack of movement, particularly by Green was disappointing. Hewitt brought some urgency and initiative and showed that he can provide crosses and corners. Time to rest Ogbu and Whitehouse. We are a team in the making and should be safe but it's a tough watch at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 80
The_Laughing_Mariner
September 18, 2019, 12:35am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Saw a few cars with tickets outside the ground.
How did people get back with M18 junction shut?
I went off at J34, A19 to Donny, then A630 to M18,

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 80
IlkleyMariner
September 18, 2019, 12:42am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,984
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Green desperate to prove a point tried too hard tonight but Ogbu is fast becoming a waste of a shirt, most of Salford’s chances came through his inability to track back. He’s lazy and plays for himself. Let Charles, Max or Akheem start because we aren’t good enough to play with ten men.

Well footy is full of opinions.
Thought Green was ineffective after a great attempt to score early on
There were times when Ogbu was playing right back when he should have been further up the park
Agree it was crying out for Max Wright to come on halfway through second half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 80
The_Laughing_Mariner
September 18, 2019, 12:46am
Brandy Drinker
Green Poor, Hanson outnumbered, Ogbu too deep at times but he came looking for the ball because the midfield was too deep.
Loads of possession, but no quality in the final ball to the front 3.
lots of hard work but little quality

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 80
gobby
September 18, 2019, 6:20am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
Creative attacking midfielder still needed. Poor goal to concede. Officials embarrassing.. Yorkies shut off the exit on M62 to force us to pay £1.50 to come across the bridge, extra 3 miles on the journey.  These things are sent to try us.
Not at Chelsea due to holidays but enjoy the day out folks.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 80
September 18, 2019, 7:15am
Guest User
Quoted from lukeo
NEVER KNEW THIS :
Change decision. But can't a referee change his decision? Yes, referees can. ... The LATG say: “The referee may only change a decision on realising that it is incorrect or, at his discretion, on the advice of an assistant referee or the fourth official, provided that he has not restarted play or terminated the match

I can't remember now, but HAD play been restarted before the goal was disallowed?

Reply: 30 - 80
Mariner_501
September 18, 2019, 7:22am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +227
Salford, much like Oldham, are flipping terrible. What does that say about us?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 80
sydney
September 18, 2019, 7:25am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Very Disappointing Night
We are starting to look like we where at our worst last season.
Ineffective and not driving enough through the middle
The Hanson secret is out and teams are putting two or three players on him now
We Dominate from KO until the opposition score with their first attempt, then we pile on the pressure for last few mins to try and rescue something

Only the officials where more disappointing
Does Salford’s Big Budget inc 4th officials?
Disgraceful
Come on Town we go again sat!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 80
cmackenzie4
September 18, 2019, 7:40am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
I went to bed happy last night because I got an alert off ifollow saying it finished 1.1, did anyone else get this?

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 80
IlkleyMariner
September 18, 2019, 7:58am
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,984
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from 123614

I can't remember now, but HAD play been restarted before the goal was disallowed?

No
Players all lined up but game had not restarted
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 80
lee65
September 18, 2019, 8:04am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,480
Quoted from cmackenzie4
I went to bed happy last night because I got an alert off ifollow saying it finished 1.1, did anyone else get this?

Yes, it never changed when the goal was chalked off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 80
oochiad
September 18, 2019, 8:05am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,687
Yes I got the alert at full time, I’d left at 90 minutes as I’m disabled and was worried about getting out the ground up those steps with 1000 town fans. Got back to the car and on the alerts 1-1!! I thought we’d got out of jail again......on the whole we’re much further on than last year but still have lots to sort out, stats don’t lie and we were far superior but couldn’t put the ball in the net. Hope we put right on Saturday although I’ve a suspicion it’ll be flat with everyone with their eye on Wednesday. We’ll see, UTM!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 80
jimgtfc
September 18, 2019, 8:10am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,069
Gold Stars: 44
Just seen the highlights and that’s disgraceful from the officials. People can defend them or the new law all they want but that’s not the way to reach a decision is it? That’s worse than VAR. The ball didn’t even go over the point of the wall Green was interfering with so it was irrelevant anyway.

Can anyone who watched the game say how Whitehouse played? I’ve been really disappointed with him in games I’ve seen, yet he seems immune from criticism, maybe due to the fact he covers a lot of ground which I’ll grant him, or that he had a terrible injury last season and maybe he’s not the same player, but I just don’t see what he does with the ball to justify his continued inclusion.

Regarding Ogbu, I think he’s a bit of a luxury player. You don’t normally get that type of player at this level. He’s probably suited to home games that we can dominate a bit more, where he can hurt teams, but away from home when it’s going to be a bit more of a graft I think we’d benefit from either playing Cook or Wright in that role or just playing a narrower 442 with just Green and Hanson up front.

We’ve had a decent start overall so far, win on Saturday and it’ll be a good start, but a loss might see us looking at the bottom half of the table again.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 80
AdamHaddock
September 18, 2019, 8:33am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,803
Gold Stars: 25
Less hoofball last night, we tried to get it on the deck more but it was often slow, ponderous, sideways, too many  touches and little off the ball movement. Green had a great chance early on but headed straight at the keeper when the entire goal was yawning in his face.

Whitehouse and Ogbu need dropping . Give Clifton and Rose or Vernam a run of games now

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 80
Mariner93er
September 18, 2019, 8:34am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
Thought Whitehouse was as ineffective as anyone today. Barring s couple of goals, he contributes very little in the midfield 3. Thought Robson looked better when he came on, but he was the wrong kind of player for the situation. I thought both substitutions were pointless to be honest. Robson can pass it sround deep, but we were having no problem doing that so why bring him on. We were really lacking spark in that final third, and it was crying out for max, but instead we turned to Vernam, who I like, but in all honesty he provides nothing except a step over.

We could have even sacrificed a defender at that point, because I don't think I've ever seen a team go so defensive against us since our return to the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 80
fishcake63
September 18, 2019, 8:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Approval: +1,235
Gold Stars: 62
Now the dust's settled i can honestly say feel cheated that is no way to officiate a game if that goal stands we in my opinion go on & win the game , how the heck keeper saves waterfall's effort at the end as well = worldie , as someone says on another thread he looks so comfy it's untrue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 80
TownSNAFU5
September 18, 2019, 9:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
Bigdog, you mean play like Crewe then?  They meet virtually all your criteria.

We are someway short of their quality.

Crewe are 2nd, but even with their good football their plus 2 GD is only down to beating us.

Also worrying for us is that our Plan A, play to Hanson, has been identified by opponents and is easily stopped. Plan B is still WIP.

(Chelsea is a distraction but only part of the wider problem).

Another issue: why do we consistently concede the first goal in matches?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 80
GollyGTFC
September 18, 2019, 9:51am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,974
Gold Stars: 356
From Salford City OS March report...

Attendance: 2,782 (1,066 Grimsby Town)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 42 - 80
GollyGTFC
September 18, 2019, 10:06am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,974
Gold Stars: 356
I thought we were shite last night. Lacked any cutting edge whatsoever.

Why Hessenthaler has to drop between the 2 centre backs to receive a ball and the make a pass that either centre back would have been capable of making is beyond me. And having him so deep meant that when it did break down we were always outnumbered to midfield and rarely picked up any second balls.

Everything at the moment points to another season of underachievement. We can’t keep a clean sheet to save our lives and we keep handing teams a lead.

I’ve never been Jolley’s biggest fan- he talks a good game but has achieved very little IMHO. He’s on a 6 month rolling contract isn’t he? I don’t think it would be unreasonable for the club to serve him with his 6 month notice period in mid-November if results haven’t improved in line with expectations and tell him he has to earn a new deal.

If he does well he gets his new contract. If he continues to underachieve then we can replace him at the end of the season when his contract expires without having to compensate him. There’s no risk for Town because no ones going to offer him a job at a higher club with his below average record at Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 43 - 80
Rik e B
September 18, 2019, 10:18am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
We a work in progress; from Slade's capitulators rocketing towards non-league to being competitive in little over a Season with a crumby budget okay going in my eyes.

Jolley's contract is fine as is, wouldn't cost us the world to jettison instead of the instability amongst the players and potential signings wondering if their manager staying or going, and the general ill feeling serving notice would bring. Terrible idea Imo.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 80
Bigdog
September 18, 2019, 10:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Bigdog, you mean play like Crewe then?  They meet virtually all your criteria.

We are someway short of their quality.

Crewe are 2nd, but even with their good football their plus 2 GD is only down to beating us.

Also worrying for us is that our Plan A, play to Hanson, has been identified by opponents and is easily stopped. Plan B is still WIP.

(Chelsea is a distraction but only part of the wider problem).

Another issue: why do we consistently concede the first goal in matches?

We were by far the better side second half last night but still quite poor. If our free kick wasn't disallowed I'm sure we'd have gone on to win but..

It was like watching an olden day under tens side being coached. Take a touch, play the way you're facing, take a touch, play the way you're facing and then lump it to the guy that's bigger than all of the rest. Win set pieces and get the big boys up there to score from them. That's us in a nutshell. Jolley being extremely pragmatic with the tools he's been given. No movement, very static, slow on the ball because of this and no one prepared to take anyone on at any time in the starting eleven, not even a half turn other than Hess who is playing deep to accommodate our full backs getting forward, and Ogbu who was poor but will benefit from more space for him to do his thing, space that is blocked up by playing both him and Green off Hanson. Whitehouse flatters to deceive for me and has been getting the benefit of the doubt because everyone wants him to do well. And we still seem a slow narrow team without any real threatening pace or guile without Vernam, Wright or Rose on the pitch. Would like to see more of Robson (if strong enough) because he looks like he can play and hopefully Clifton gets back in form quickly because we miss his energy. It's better than it was but the ceiling of achievement for the starting eleven last night isn't top seven, steady mid-table more likely..

I'd prefer a 4-5-1 rather than an out and out 4-3-3, two extra wide players and try to play through to Hanson more than we do with Hess pushed up more alongside maybe Clifton and Robson, with some pace and attacking intent from wide by any of Ogbu, Vernam, Wright and Rose. We can revert back to the less expansive pragmatic bullying Plan A to secure a mid table position if it doesn't work..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 80
Rik e B
September 18, 2019, 10:33am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
I quite liked the fluid 4-3-3 into 4-5-1 when Jolley kept us up, we can also do 4-4-2 if need.

Expectations were low prior to the seasons commencement, everyone was buoyed by an unexpected good start and a couple of losses (one a little unfortunate) to bring us back to something like parity I don't know why doom mongers have to be shouting from the rooftops quite so quick.

I guess it's just what they do, but it kills any credence they may have when we do have a real downturn in my eyes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 80
grimsby pete
September 18, 2019, 12:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
With no VAR in use that is the first time I have seen the fourth official disallow a goal,

Has anybody ever seen one disallowed by the 4th official before when VAR is not in use ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 80
Kris2
September 18, 2019, 12:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I thought we were shite last night. Lacked any cutting edge whatsoever.

Why Hessenthaler has to drop between the 2 centre backs to receive a ball and the make a pass that either centre back would have been capable of making is beyond me. And having him so deep meant that when it did break down we were always outnumbered to midfield and rarely picked up any second balls.

Everything at the moment points to another season of underachievement. We can’t keep a clean sheet to save our lives and we keep handing teams a lead.

I’ve never been Jolley’s biggest fan- he talks a good game but has achieved very little IMHO. He’s on a 6 month rolling contract isn’t he? I don’t think it would be unreasonable for the club to serve him with his 6 month notice period in mid-November if results haven’t improved in line with expectations and tell him he has to earn a new deal.

If he does well he gets his new contract. If he continues to underachieve then we can replace him at the end of the season when his contract expires without having to compensate him. There’s no risk for Town because no ones going to offer him a job at a higher club with his below average record at Town.

it's only underachievement if you think we are a big club in this league to begin with lol. We are about where we are expected to be as a mediocre League Two team.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 80
grimsby pete
September 18, 2019, 12:33pm

Exile
If we carry on like this all season we will be mid table with 60+ points

After what we have been through over the last few years its nice to be comfortable,

You never  know 2 or 3 good signings in January might make all the difference.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 80
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 18, 2019, 1:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Goals win games. No score = no win.

I had hoped we had learned that lesson ..... but apparently not.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 80
cannylad68
September 18, 2019, 2:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Every time Gary Henshaw summarised he was 100% spot on.
Is he employed in football?
From what I saw of Robson, he should be in the starting 11 on Saturday.
No doubt the 'experts' will explain why we had to make 3 changes in the line up to replace one player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 80
Lambretta Mariner
September 18, 2019, 2:50pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +140
The decision to disallow the goal is supposedly correct although I didn't know about the new rule. They'll have to start drawing not only a line ten yards away from a free kick, but also a shape 1 yard away around the wall.

Are you telling me though that the goal was the only decision the 4th official thought the ref got incorrect? He didn't see any other?
Also is he aware there is a new rule regarding being substituted and leaving the field at the nearest point? Perhaps somebody should have helped him out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 80
mimma
September 18, 2019, 3:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
Just seen the extended highlights on GTFC website.

I cannot see how the fourth official in the dugout can overrule a referee that is looking at the wall from about ten yards. Did Salford officials bend his ear to convince him to step in? Green did give the defender a little shove, but you see that at most free kicks, and the ref must have seen it and deemed it to be ok, otherwise he wouldn't have given the goal. I bet you won't see similar goals chalked off in the premier league by VAR.

Also, the winning free kick went between two Salford players who look offside and in Macca's eyeline.

The new changes to the laws of the game are proving to be more controversial, and are causing more arguments than they are suppose to stop, especially in the lower leagues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 80
TownSNAFU5
September 18, 2019, 3:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
It is accepted that we are one-paced and have no one to take players on in the starting 11.  Max Wright has pace and makes goals for others when he come on.  Against Macc he beat 4/5 players and could have scored.  

Defenders hate pace and direct running against them.   Gives them something to worry about.  

Why isn't Max given more time on the pitch to show what he does best?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 80
lew chaterleys lover
September 18, 2019, 4:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,658
Gold Stars: 234
Two things I would say. First, what the heck was Matt Green playing at? Why give a hint of a decision to be made when we were in such a good scoring position?

Secondly, it is absolutely outrageous that the 4th official overruled the referee's decision.

That will lead to chaos if that is allowed to stand. What about all the other mistakes a referee or linesman makes during a game? Each mistake could be vital to the outcome of the game, so is the 4th official going to intervene regularly, or is it only when the opposition bench harangue him? Or is it only when a goal is scored and the opposition has seen a minor infringement  when in 99% of cases it would be ignored?

The referee should have politely but firmly told the 4th official the goal stood.

Private Message
Reply: 55 - 80
lew chaterleys lover
September 18, 2019, 4:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,658
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from grimsby pete
With no VAR in use that is the first time I have seen the fourth official disallow a goal,

Has anybody ever seen one disallowed by the 4th official before when VAR is not in use ?

No, never. I have never seen a 4th official intervene against  any referee who has made a bad decision in any area of the pitch. Last night leaves any 4th official at the mercy of any opposition bench who don't like a decision that has gone against them.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 80
MuddyWaters
September 18, 2019, 4:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Referees should ensure that, like assistant referees, the Fourth Official ‘assists’ with their match control. The
primary responsibility for controlling the match remains with the referee who makes the final decision at all
times. In discharging this responsibility it is expected that referees will only seek assistance from the Fourth
Official in respect of significant match changing incidents which have been missed by the other three match
officials and which are clearly visible to the Fourth Official. Quoted from The FA website.

Green clearly contravened the new law regarding the wall - either the ref didn't see it (unlikely) or didn't know it (seems Matt Green didn't either).
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 80
Mariner Timsky
September 18, 2019, 4:26pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
The question is was it the 4th official who alerted the ref

or (in the style of Pete)

was it the Salford crew on the touchline (and there was a crew of them) who alerted the 4th official to the the offence and then he called the ref??

thoughts guys??

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 80
mimma
September 18, 2019, 5:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
The next time there is a free kick, with the wall in the area, and a defender pushes an attacker trying to get in the wall, will the ref / fourth official give a penalty?

I don't think so, so why disallow a goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 80
Croxton
September 18, 2019, 8:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
If the ball had been rolling as Cooke hit it the ref would surely insist on the kick being retaken. Should he have
done that in this case? Perhaps that may have applied if Green had just stood in the wall whereas the plonker shoved the defender.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 80
Abdul19
September 18, 2019, 8:08pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
I'm guessing the pushing took place when the ball was in play (therefore a free kick and also irrelevant where the ball was)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 80
Croxton
September 18, 2019, 8:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
I'm guessing the pushing took place when the ball was in play (therefore a free kick and also irrelevant where the ball was)

Just re watched it my dear Watson. The dastardly act was perpetrated prior to the striking of the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 80
KingstonMariner
September 18, 2019, 9:01pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Might well be a correct interpretation of the law, but the manner in which it arose leaves a bad taste. If 4th officials are going to chip in with advice on decisions, they should do so promptly. Otherwise it's just a poor man's VAR.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 80
Abdul19
September 18, 2019, 9:07pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Croxton

Just re watched it my dear Watson. The dastardly act was perpetrated prior to the striking of the ball.

I can't be arsed rewatching it, but I'm guessing he was still within a metre when it was taken.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 80
Mariner_09
September 18, 2019, 10:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I picked up from MJ that he was more cross about the fact the 4th official didn’t notice anything until Alexander started belly aching in his ear, basically Alexander disallowed the goal.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 80
Posh Harry
September 18, 2019, 10:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Abdul19

I can't be arsed rewatching it, but I'm guessing he was still within a metre when it was taken.

He was shoving the wall out of the way Abdul, so considerably closer than a metre
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 80
The_Laughing_Mariner
September 18, 2019, 10:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Macca, Tait, Toto, Gowling, Robertson, Arnold, Dis, Clay, Nolan, Podge, Omar.

The best starting XI in my lifetime.

you poor boy

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 80
arryarryarry
September 18, 2019, 11:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Saw a few cars with tickets outside the ground.
How did people get back with M18 junction shut?
I went off at J34, A19 to Donny, then A630 to M18,

Ever heard of the Humber Bridge?
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 80
KingstonMariner
September 18, 2019, 11:33pm
Meths Drinker
Macca, Tait, Toto, Gowling, Robertson, Arnold, Dis, Clay, Nolan, Podge, Omar.

The best starting XI in my lifetime.

you poor boy

He certainly is with Craig Clay in it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 80
Abdul19
September 18, 2019, 11:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Posh Harry

He was shoving the wall out of the way Abdul, so considerably closer than a metre

Well there we go 😆

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 80
arryarryarry
September 18, 2019, 11:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Just seen it again and poor play by Green, so surprised the referee missed it but then he was crap all night. However there is the fact that Green moved into the wall and started pushing before the kick was taken but he was still pushing the wall after Cook played the ball.

Not much different to some cases where a defender commits a foul outside of the area but continues fouling in the area and the ref giving a penalty.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 80
Maringer
September 19, 2019, 12:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,411
Gold Stars: 184
Bloody stupid if Green didn't know the changes in the laws of the game. Same goes for the referee, of course!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 80
Cambridgefish
September 19, 2019, 1:34pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: -12
Gold Stars: 1

Can anyone who watched the game say how Whitehouse played? I’ve been really disappointed with him in games I’ve seen, yet he seems immune from criticism, maybe due to the fact he covers a lot of ground which I’ll grant him, or that he had a terrible injury last season and maybe he’s not the same player, but I just don’t see what he does with the ball to justify his continued inclusion.

I wasn’t at Salford, but I do recall when we signed him Lincoln fans were saying he was limited. Very willing and a good team man, but unlikely to set the world on fire
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 80
FishOutOfWater
September 19, 2019, 2:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Abdul19

The free kick is the standard  “punishment” for going too close to the wall.....Green pushing wasn’t the issue

http://www.thefa.com/football-.....aw-changes-explained
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 74 - 80
grimsby pete
September 19, 2019, 10:44pm

Exile
So basically the defending team commit an offence and might have stopped a goal scoring oppotunity and the attacking team are penalised by not be allowed near a defensive wall.

Well done FA why not allow any goals to be scored at all.?

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 80
KingstonMariner
September 19, 2019, 11:11pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
So basically the defending team commit an offence and might have stopped a goal scoring oppotunity and the attacking team are penalised by not be allowed near a defensive wall.

Well done FA why not allow any goals to be scored at all.?

If this new rule, presumably meant to improve the game, actually cuts down the chances to score, you could consider it an own goal by the FA.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 80
Maringer
September 20, 2019, 10:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,411
Gold Stars: 184
It's just to stop the stupid situation where opposition forwards stand in the wall then try to push opponents out of the way as the kick is taken (as Green apparently attempted to do). I don't mind this change, truth be told. If you're not trying to touch the ball, you shouldn't be actively pushing an opponent away from it.

Next thing to do is work out how to game the system. Somebody stood 1 metre in front of the wall to further obstruct the keeper before diving out of the way at the last moment, perhaps? How about 2 players forming a mini-wall to innocently stop chargers from blocking a tapped free-kick? Of course, they would have to make sure they got out of the way of the shot as well!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 80
grimsby pete
September 20, 2019, 12:08pm

Exile
Quoted from Maringer
It's just to stop the stupid situation where opposition forwards stand in the wall then try to push opponents out of the way as the kick is taken (as Green apparently attempted to do). I don't mind this change, truth be told. If you're not trying to touch the ball, you shouldn't be actively pushing an opponent away from it.

Next thing to do is work out how to game the system. Somebody stood 1 metre in front of the wall to further obstruct the keeper before diving out of the way at the last moment, perhaps? How about 2 players forming a mini-wall to innocently stop chargers from blocking a tapped free-kick? Of course, they would have to make sure they got out of the way of the shot as well!

How about seeing the defending team who committed the offence  are not allowed to form a wall ?

The attacker who might have been able to have a clear shot at goal then finds 6 or 7 players on 10yards in front of him that is no advantage so encourages professional fouls.

PS.   You can tell I was a striker  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 80
KingstonMariner
September 20, 2019, 12:29pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Pushing was an offence anyway so they’ve just introduced an extra thing to police. As well as ‘is the wall 10 yards from the ball?’ we now have ‘are the attackers at least 1 metre (1.1 yards!) away from the wall?’ We’ll end up with another line of shaving foam (in an oval shape around the wall) for every free kick near the penalty box. It’s going to end up like Rugby Union with lots of footling rules.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 80
Ipswin
September 20, 2019, 4:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete

You can tell I was a striker  

What of Pete, Swan Vestas matches?  

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 80
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.