TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 18, 2019, 1:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Goals win games. No score = no win.

I had hoped we had learned that lesson ..... but apparently not.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 80
cannylad68
September 18, 2019, 2:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Every time Gary Henshaw summarised he was 100% spot on.
Is he employed in football?
From what I saw of Robson, he should be in the starting 11 on Saturday.
No doubt the 'experts' will explain why we had to make 3 changes in the line up to replace one player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 80
Lambretta Mariner
September 18, 2019, 2:50pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +140
The decision to disallow the goal is supposedly correct although I didn't know about the new rule. They'll have to start drawing not only a line ten yards away from a free kick, but also a shape 1 yard away around the wall.

Are you telling me though that the goal was the only decision the 4th official thought the ref got incorrect? He didn't see any other?
Also is he aware there is a new rule regarding being substituted and leaving the field at the nearest point? Perhaps somebody should have helped him out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 80
mimma
September 18, 2019, 3:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Just seen the extended highlights on GTFC website.

I cannot see how the fourth official in the dugout can overrule a referee that is looking at the wall from about ten yards. Did Salford officials bend his ear to convince him to step in? Green did give the defender a little shove, but you see that at most free kicks, and the ref must have seen it and deemed it to be ok, otherwise he wouldn't have given the goal. I bet you won't see similar goals chalked off in the premier league by VAR.

Also, the winning free kick went between two Salford players who look offside and in Macca's eyeline.

The new changes to the laws of the game are proving to be more controversial, and are causing more arguments than they are suppose to stop, especially in the lower leagues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 80
TownSNAFU5
September 18, 2019, 3:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
It is accepted that we are one-paced and have no one to take players on in the starting 11.  Max Wright has pace and makes goals for others when he come on.  Against Macc he beat 4/5 players and could have scored.  

Defenders hate pace and direct running against them.   Gives them something to worry about.  

Why isn't Max given more time on the pitch to show what he does best?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 80
lew chaterleys lover
September 18, 2019, 4:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Two things I would say. First, what the heck was Matt Green playing at? Why give a hint of a decision to be made when we were in such a good scoring position?

Secondly, it is absolutely outrageous that the 4th official overruled the referee's decision.

That will lead to chaos if that is allowed to stand. What about all the other mistakes a referee or linesman makes during a game? Each mistake could be vital to the outcome of the game, so is the 4th official going to intervene regularly, or is it only when the opposition bench harangue him? Or is it only when a goal is scored and the opposition has seen a minor infringement  when in 99% of cases it would be ignored?

The referee should have politely but firmly told the 4th official the goal stood.

Private Message
Reply: 55 - 80
lew chaterleys lover
September 18, 2019, 4:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from grimsby pete
With no VAR in use that is the first time I have seen the fourth official disallow a goal,

Has anybody ever seen one disallowed by the 4th official before when VAR is not in use ?

No, never. I have never seen a 4th official intervene against  any referee who has made a bad decision in any area of the pitch. Last night leaves any 4th official at the mercy of any opposition bench who don't like a decision that has gone against them.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 80
MuddyWaters
September 18, 2019, 4:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Referees should ensure that, like assistant referees, the Fourth Official ‘assists’ with their match control. The
primary responsibility for controlling the match remains with the referee who makes the final decision at all
times. In discharging this responsibility it is expected that referees will only seek assistance from the Fourth
Official in respect of significant match changing incidents which have been missed by the other three match
officials and which are clearly visible to the Fourth Official. Quoted from The FA website.

Green clearly contravened the new law regarding the wall - either the ref didn't see it (unlikely) or didn't know it (seems Matt Green didn't either).
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 80
Mariner Timsky
September 18, 2019, 4:26pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
The question is was it the 4th official who alerted the ref

or (in the style of Pete)

was it the Salford crew on the touchline (and there was a crew of them) who alerted the 4th official to the the offence and then he called the ref??

thoughts guys??

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 80
mimma
September 18, 2019, 5:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
The next time there is a free kick, with the wall in the area, and a defender pushes an attacker trying to get in the wall, will the ref / fourth official give a penalty?

I don't think so, so why disallow a goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.